New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Civ 5 Mutliplayer 13? Highlands 2, Ground type boogaloo (Recruiting)

Um, ok. So when I tried to play my turn in GMR, it had me playing as Russia instead of Morocco. I'm pretty certain that's not supposed to happen.
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-06-30 at 10:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 Mutliplayer 13? Highlands 2, Ground type boogaloo (Recruiting)

I reverted back to the previous turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

And... Turn resubmitted.

Spoiler: Orcus ; Zulu
    Show
    We would like to establish an embassy in your capital.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ok, so now I'm having a weird glitch with my game that's screwing things up, and I don't know how to fix it.

For some reason, I literally cannot move my units anywhere but the center of the map, for whatever reason. Whenever I try to move a unit, the function acts as if I'm pointing at one spot no matter where my cursor is, and if I click anywhere while the move action is selected, the unit moves in that direction no matter where I actually want it to go. Everything else works fine, but I have no control over where my units go. And it's definitely a problem with me because it's happening across all my save files, not just GMR. Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it?

EDIT: Alright, so whatever the problem is, it apparently only happens on DX 10-11, so I was able to take my turn by loading the game in DX 9. Still, this is rather annoying and I would like to keep playing at DX 10, so if anyone knows what's going on I would still appreciate the help.
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-07-01 at 06:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    And... Turn resubmitted.

Spoiler: Orcus ; Zulu
    Show
    We would like to establish an embassy in your capital.
    Spoiler: Celts
    Show
    You may of course establish a diplomatic embassy with the Mighty Zulu!
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: To the Celts, the Venetians, the Babylonians and the Shoshone
    Show
    Greetings, civilized peoples of the world from the fledgling nation of Morocco! If you are reading this, well done! You are, like us, cultured enough to cooperate with your fellow man and advanced enough to have developed a written language! We have recently developed an alphabet of our own, and had a thought: this marvel of human ingenuity could allow us to communicate with our people over long distances, by sending messengers who do not have to memorize what they need to deliver, and indeed do not even have to be the ones who write the message to understand it! That is far more efficient than our old method of sending messengers with giant scrolls containing pictures of what we intended to say, and hoping it would jog their memory!

In any case, we have a proposal for you all: up until now, we have isolated ourselves in the western deserts for fear that we were the only civilized people in the world. However, since we received reports of your existence from our scouts, we wish to maintain communication with you all, as well as cooperate for our mutual benefit. Therefore, we wish to send ambassadors to the capitals of each of your cities to act as representatives of Morocco, in order to better gauge your interests and communicate our own to whoever might lead you. If you are willing to grant this request, we will do likewise with any ambassador you wish to send to our capital of Marrakech. We know little of the other nations of the world, and wish to learn more about them. In fact, for all we know some of you may already have been enacting a similar agreement with one another, in which case we will be more than happy to cooperate as well! We have already made a similar deal of cooperation with the city of M'banza-Kongo to protect them from barbarian hordes, but we believe that our nation can benefit so much more from nations of similar stature in the world, don't you?

If you wish to agree to our deal, please send a request along with the ambassador of your choosing to our capital city alongside the messenger who delivered this to you. Once we verify that you are indeed a civilized nation and not barbarians attempting to breach our defenses, we will show them Moroccan hospitality, and send our ambassadors to you, provided you are willing to give them directions to your capital city.

We hope you will welcome our ambassadors with open arms, and take this as a sign of our willingness for mutual cooperation. And who knows? Perhaps in the future we will trade more than mere information with one another.

Oh, I just had a brilliant idea! Add a picture of a happy face winking at the end of that last sentence! It will make us seem jovial and easy-going, while at the same time hinting at the riches they might gain by establishing trade routes with us.

- Dictated by Lord Ahmad al-Mansur to his scribe in the palace of Marrakech, in what would later be known as 'The Embassy Letters'.

Historian's note: Records show that Lord Ahmad al-Mansur had the scribe of 'The Embassy Letters' stripped of all titles, rank, and rights to the use of winky faces after it was discovered that the scribe took his regent's statement too literally. This was also the incident that pushed the Lord to actually learn the very system of writing that he so proudly boasted of, so that he would not need a scribe at all.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    So, I figure I should start doing these, as I am long overdue. I'll have pretty pictures next time, but for now I'll give you a quick rundown of where I stand.

- I am about two turns away from constructing a settler to claim some really good land to the south. A little earlier than I probably should, and it's definitely crippling the growth of my capital (which in case you don't know, is probably a really horrible thing to do this early in the game, and will probably end up biting me in the ass), but I'm paranoid that one of my neighbors (like say, the crazy-expansionist Shoshone) will steal the spot if I wait too long, and given that I am playing Morocco and managed to snag the Desert Folklore pantheon, I do not want that to happen. Hopefully I can use my spearman to at least keep the nearby barbarians busy in the meantime, if not clear them out.

- Out of the nations I know, I am tied with the Shoshone for the second strongest army. Considering I have only 3 units total, that doesn't mean a whole lot, but at least I shouldn't expect to be attacked anytime soon.

- I am about as far northwest as you can go, as I hit the edge of the map if I go north or west from my capital, with no one blocking me. This means I have a really good defensive position, as the other people only have two directions they can possibly attack me from. You'll see what I mean once I get pictures up.

- M'banza-Kongo is to my immediate south, between me and the Shoshone, and is a militaristic city state. I have already pledged to protect them, but it's imperative that I gain and maintain an alliance with them, to both bolster my defensive position and gain access to their unique unit when the time comes. They might even be my first trade route if none of the other players wish to cooperate with me by the time I get my caravans up.

- Assuming you didn't peek at the message to the other players above, I am offering to trade embassies with anyone who wants them. Everyone I've met but Babylon has writing, but I figure asking them here to send embassy deals to me is easier than sending one deal per turn to each one. This is mostly so that once I get caravans, I will know where their capitals are so I can start establishing trade routes.

- I have no wonders, and am in dead last on the scoreboard.

This should be fun. And by fun, I mean painful. I can only hope that I make some friends who believe that the +2 bonus from any trade routes sent to me outweigh the benefits they can gain from conquering me, and survive long enough to at least stand some kind of chance.
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-07-01 at 09:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show
    Sadly, i find that I must decline your offer. Us Babylonians are a crafty bunch, quick to learn for to take advantage of the resources around us. However, that currently means we are severely lacking in anyone with the proper abilities to act as an ambassadress. Once I have such a person trained, I will reconsider; but for know, it remains an impossibility to accept.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: To Venice and the Shoshone
    Show
    We've just ordered out men to begin assaulting their encampment so that they will stop plaguing our lands. If your nearby soldiers could assist ours in taking care of the other barbarians around here (like the ones right in front of the Venetian forces, for instance), we would be very grateful.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

So this the glorious capital (and so far only) city of the Moroccan Empire. Not very impressive yet, but it's a work in progress. Once I get the sheep and Gems hooked up, this place will be a production powerhouse, especially once I get a Stable. I just got Writing, so when the settler finishes I'll probably either build that or a Caravan (which will be unlocked at the same time), depending on what I think is more important. I forgot to do it this time, but next turn I'll be locking the one sheep tile to the left of my city so I can start generating extra Faith from my Desert Folklore Pantheon. Hopefully between that and my next city (more on that below), I'll be able to generate enough fath to found a religion before they're all taken.

The Shoshone accepted my friend request, and seeing their population makes me feel a little better about my own situation, given that they're only one size bigger than me. Still, I really need to step up my game, and soon, if I want to compete.

This is where I want to settle my next city. As you can see, plenty od Desert and Flood Plains to generate faith, Two sources of gold, and three sources of wheat. This city will be amazing for me... assuming I can get to it in time. There's already two prospective explorers who now also know of this places riches, though thankfully one of them is Venice, who for those that are not aware can't settle cities at all thanks tot heir special ability. As far as I can tell, he's the only other Civ that's close to this spot. Still, I should hurry if I don't want this taken from me, especially from the Shoshone, who might be looking to expand north.

And of course, get rid of that encampment. I'll let Venice deal with the Warrior above me...

...while I make sure no more barbarians can spawn near here.

9. - Top - End - #69

Show

If you can supply us with maps we will consider it.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Show

If you can supply us with maps we will consider it.
    Spoiler: Shoshone
    Show
    Wait, you can do that in this game? I thought they removed that feature after Civ IV.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    Show
    Wait, you can do that in this game? I thought they removed that feature after Civ IV.
    Show

The idea is you take a screenshot, edit it to remove private info, and then put in a spoiler to me.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show
    Very well. Our cartographers are rather new at mapmaking however, so we have little to show you a the moment.

This is a map of the lands near Marrakech that your ambassadors were unable to tell you about.

A better look at the lands between Marrakech and the closest city state. We lay claim to all the lands north of the state and east of our capital, which is far enough that it should not infringe on your territory.

And this is the desert we intend to cleanse of barbarian filth. The hex in red is where our spearman is currently, attacking the encampment. We do not care who necessarily gets the spoils, we just want the encampment and the brute to the north of us gone so we may settle.

If you agree to assist us, we can also provide maps of the lands north of our current position and west of Babylon.

13. - Top - End - #73

Spoiler: Venice
    Show

Hey Venice. We sent you an embassy trade.

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update extravaganza
    Show

And Morocco set up a embassy in our capital.

And our tribes told tales of people in a distant valley worshiping a god made flesh,

Our wagon trains start to move to settle the western valley. Who knows what they will settle.

Our workers move to improve the salt.

We were going to help Morocco.

Then our Pathfinder NOPED all the way home.

Then our second Pathfinder starts to head back as well.

Our people finished the ability to trap Animals.

So we moved onto to create weapons that could be used from far away.

A map of Moson Kahni.

A map of Te-Moak.

Our government forms.

A total lack of world order.

Best in Crop yield, Land, and Literacy. Worst in nothing.

No tourism.

And an embassy offer for Venice.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Spoiler: Venice
    Show

Hey Venice. We sent you an embassy trade.
    Show
    We humbly accept.

Show
    Hey there, wanna exchange embassies?
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: To Venice
    Show
    Our people would be more than happy to welcome your ambassadors into Marrakech!

Also, we noticed one of your spearmen near our own. If you could help cover ours while we assault the encampment, we would be grateful, especially since a Shoshone scout has informed us we are more outnumbered than we initially assumed.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    Show
    Our people would be more than happy to welcome your ambassadors into Marrakech!

Also, we noticed one of your spearmen near our own. If you could help cover ours while we assault the encampment, we would be grateful, especially since a Shoshone scout has informed us we are more outnumbered than we initially assumed.
    Show
    Happy coincidence, our spearmen were already on their way to clear out the barbarians in that area. We'd be happy to launch a joint military operation with your troops.
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show
    Wonderful! Ours troops are fortified by the river preparing to assault their encampment. If you could finish off the barbarians north off their current position and south of yours we would be most grateful.

I can see this as the start of a beautiful friendship.

Spoiler: Russia
    Show
    Greetings from the city of Marrakech! Do you wish to exchange ambassadors so we may better understand each other?

We have also heard rumors that you worship your ruler as a God. Is this true? If so, that is a rather interesting custom.

Spoiler: The Zulus
    Show
    Greetings from the city of Marrakech! Do you wish to exchange ambassadors so that we may better understand each other?

18. - Top - End - #78

Show
    Behold mighty Shaka Zulu. We are forever for honest and fair dealings. Beware us should we be crossed. Ambassadors are welcome.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    We greet you in the name of Her Undying Majesty. To say we worship Her, or that it is a mere "custom", would be blasphemy, for She is a god made flesh, who led us from the barbarism of our ancestors and who walks among us still. Your own desert traditions pale in comparison.

Your proposal to exchange ambassadors is accepted, though not one of us is yet worthy to represent Her interests abroad. You shall be notified when a man has been selected.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: Kingdom Update (Spectators)
    Show

So, this is the capital as of now. As you can see, I've finally finished my Settler, but I won't move him out of the city until the next turn so that he can be escorted by the scout. It also buys a little more time for Venice and I to clear out the barbarians near the spot I want to settle.

...and boy are we going to need it. I also checked the trade route overview to see who I can currently trade with, and...

Yeah, that's the downside to being in the corner of the map: no one worth trading with is close enough. Note that this screen doesn't take into account the +3 gold I would get from my ability, but considering my growth problems at the moment, I've decided that at the moment it's still more worthwhile to hold off on the caravan for now and build a granary instead. Hopefully by then I'll have my second city settled and I can find someone better to trade with then.

I also went ahead and locked the desert hill tile so I can start generating more faith from my pantheon (and shave a turn off of the granary in the process). Sure I'm losing 3 GPT by doing that, but I have enough gold reserves to weather it out until my next citizen pops and I start working the Silk or Gems. It says it'll be 14 turns from now, but that should drop once the worker is done improving the wheat, and drop again when the granary finishes, so I highly doubt it'll take that long. Also, since Animal Husbandry finished I can see that my next border pop will give me 4 horses! Yay!

And though I don't have a picture of it, my other scout discovered that Russia has King Solomon's Mines within their borders, giving them +6 production when worked. I don't yet know if it's in their capital or not, but if so they're probably going to get the Great Library or Stonehenge before I do. Not that I have the production capacity to build wonders at the moment anyway, but still: good to know I'm outclassed on those early wonders before I try to go for them.

Finally, the Zulus exchanged embassies with me. They don't seem that friendly, but luckily they are on literally the opposite corner of the map from me, so I should be safe. Especially since one of my scouts proved that the world was flat, thus preventing circumnavigation. Only one Civ left to meet!
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-07-10 at 12:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Hey all, I think I'm going to have to bow out of this game as well. Anyone want to take over as Zulu?

22. - Top - End - #82

Hey, OOC note. I'm getting dragged camping from Tuesday to Thursday. Since we've done it for other players and I'm the host, I'm extending the turn timer to 3 days late Monday night.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, no problem.

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update extravaganza
    Show

From the pre-history of the Shoshoney people.

We hear someone has entered the era of classical.

The Grand Mesa inspires a cook off in Mogadishu. Our people are able to grow fat while it goes on.

Our Spearman works to reinforce Te-Moak in case the worst comes to pass.

Our worker moves to the furs.

Our Pathfinder moves.

And we find Almaty.

And our other one moves.

Are people are working on a philosophy that does not deal in snow..... It's taking some time.

Maps of our Capital.

Maps of Te-Moak.

Maps of Agaidika.

Our government enjoys the old ways of doing things.

There is no unified world order.

We are best in Crop yield, Land, and Literacy. Worst in nothing.

And no one is traveling.

25. - Top - End - #85

Since I'm back, I lowered the turn timer down to a day.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

And could you turn it back up please? I'll be gone this weekend, don't know if I'll have net access or not.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    And could you turn it back up please? I'll be gone this weekend, don't know if I'll have net access or not.
    I even checked if you were in 10. And forgot to check 13....

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, no worries. And thanks.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm back now, you can set the timer back to normal. Thanks for waiting!

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I'm back now, you can set the timer back to normal. Thanks for waiting!
    I'm going to wait for it to tell me you've submitted your turn before doing that.

fixed.
    Last edited by Illven; 2015-07-26 at 07:08 PM.