New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Question about insults

Several times already I have seen posters calling other posters SJWs, or social justice warriors.

My question is: is the mod team aware that this term is both an insult and politically charged? It's recent-ish internet lingo, so I'm asking to be sure. Since this is a forum where you can get a warning for calling someone else a fanboy, I found it weird that people get away with calling other posters SJWs.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Question about insults

It would not surprise me if people who throw that term around DO get warned for it, and it simply doesn't get scrubbed for whatever reason. I am certainly not going to test that theory though.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You can't get a warning/infraction without the post getting scrubbed. Trust me, I know from experience.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    It would not surprise me if people who throw that term around DO get warned for it, and it simply doesn't get scrubbed for whatever reason. I am certainly not going to test that theory though.
    While what you say is true, it would also be pretty unusual for something disallowed to not get scrubbed when a warning was issued. In fact, wouldn't it be pretty much unique?

Edit: I see Tengu-temp already has it covered. So, the non-scrubbing is pretty much conclusive proof that "SJW" is currently "allowed," then?
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2015-04-15 at 09:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Edit: I see Tengu-temp already has it covered. So, the non-scrubbing is pretty much conclusive proof that "SJW" is currently "allowed," then?
    No, unscrubbed "SJW" only proves that not all appearances of it were scrubbed. You can't tell how often it actually was scrubbed. Also, since it is not obvious as an insult to all people, probably only a fraction gets reported and thus the attention of the mods.
    I think it was actually stated before that a lack of scrubbing is not to be taken as evidence for allowed behaviour.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2015-04-15 at 09:47 AM. Reason: rephrasing

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

6. - Top - End - #6
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Several times already I have seen posters calling other posters SJWs, or social justice warriors.

My question is: is the mod team aware that this term is both an insult and politically charged? It's recent-ish internet lingo, so I'm asking to be sure. Since this is a forum where you can get a warning for calling someone else a fanboy, I found it weird that people get away with calling other posters SJWs.
    If you believe something is Flaming/Trolling, please report it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    No, unscrubbed "SJW" only proves that not all appearances of it were scrubbed. You can't tell how often it actually was scrubbed. Also, since it is not obvious as an insult to all people, probably only a fraction gets reported and thus the attention of the mods.
    I think it was actually stated before that a lack of scrubbing is not to be taken as evidence for allowed behaviour.
    Correct.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2015-04-15 at 10:48 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex