New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Double weapon strength character

Hey there I just recently joijed up in a pathfinder campaign and out together an oracle who a weighted spear which is a double weapon. It wasn't until after we started I realized that it seem to only be viable for high dex characters and my 12 dex doesn't seem to cut it I have fifteen strength if that's a factor can you people give me any advice on making it viable.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Double weapon strength character

Double Weapons in D&D are simply one of the Two-Weapon fighting options.
    About their only advantages are:
    1) you only have one weapon to pick up if you drop it;
    2) the second head of the weapon is treated as light for the two-weapon fighting penalties;
    3) you can take one hand off it to cast a spell or manipulate something else without dropping the weapon.

So - how to make two-weapon fighting viable - well I usually consult the two-weapon fighting (off)-handbook.

If you don't to two-weapon fight, then you don't want a double weapon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You can either ask your DM to let you switch your Str and Dex scores, or see if he'll let you retroactively pick a different weapon. Alternatively, just attack with one end of the weapon at a time, since most (maybe all) double weapons are two-handed weapons if you don't exercise the ability to attack with both ends of it.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Actually, I'd say just grip it two-handed and treat it as a two-handed weapon. You can ignore the offhand end of it. I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with the differences in how Pathfinder treats THF/TWF, but the basics should still work: you get x1.5 your Strength bonus on damage, you can Power Attack with it, etc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Some classes can TWF without meeting requirements, namely Ranger and Slayer.

Unfortunately, neither is a good combination with Oracle afaik (maybe there are specific builds that I'm unaware of)

Use only one end of the double wepon, or simply change weapon
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2016-06-28 at 03:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Double Weapons in D&D are simply one of the Two-Weapon fighting options.
    About their only advantages are:
    1) you only have one weapon to pick up if you drop it;
    2) the second head of the weapon is treated as light for the two-weapon fighting penalties;
    3) you can take one hand off it to cast a spell or manipulate something else without dropping the weapon.

So - how to make two-weapon fighting viable - well I usually consult the two-weapon fighting (off)-handbook.

There are other advantages too. They are often equivalent, damage-wise, to two one-handed weapons rather than a one-handed and a light weapon, so the offhand deals more damage. They count as a single weapon for feats like Weapon Focus. You can freely switch between two-handing for single strikes and dual-wielding for full attacks. And a dire flail is used for Dire Flail Smash, which is a pretty legit weapon style feat.

They're also much more efficient in the admittedly very specific case of the Two-Weapon Fighting soulknife, since a single double-bladed sword mind blade has a higher enhancement bonus than two short sword mind blades. But that's probably not relevant here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Even if you don't use the off-hand side of the weapon, simply having it their to get passive enchantments (like Eager, Warning, parrying, or Defending).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Even if you don't use the off-hand side of the weapon, simply having it their to get passive enchantments (like Eager, Warning, parrying, or Defending).
    Eager and Warning are 3.5 only; in Pathfinder there's Dueling that can be used for similar purposes but technically it cannot be put on a double weapon since it's not finesseable (though one end is considered light for the purposes of TWF it's not actually light)
    I would allow it as GM but ymmv
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2016-06-28 at 05:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You could just use it like a normal spear, instead of as a double weapon. Think of it as a spear that grants access to a bludgeoning attack as well, instead of a true double weapon.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.