New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How in the world do I pull off a Vow of Non-violence/Peace PC?

Quote Originally Posted by graeylin View Post
    No, just that it works exactly the same, in all respects, as a spell.
    No, it doesn't. It works exactly the same, in all respects, as a supernatural ability, because that's what it is. It doesn't provoke an AoO like a spell, it doesn't require verbal/somatic/material components like a spell, it can't be counterspelled, it ignores SR, etc. The only part that functions like a spell is that the effect on creatures who fail their saves is identical to what the spell's description says, none of the other game mechanics that apply to spells will ever apply to this.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

I agree, in the case of Calm Emotions, with what you are saying, Bi F... within that limited area where the text states it is "as the spell calm emotions", it is the same as the spell.

I was answering the more generic question posed: Does the gm consider "as a spell" to be "is a spell"....

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by graeylin View Post
    I agree, in the case of Calm Emotions, with what you are saying, Bi F... within that limited area where the text states it is "as the spell calm emotions", it is the same as the spell.

I was answering the more generic question posed: Does the gm consider "as a spell" to be "is a spell"....
    The effect of the ability is as the effect of the spell, but that does not make it governed by the general rules of all spells, because the ability is not a spell, it's supernatural.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Correct me if I am mistaken, but IIRC the best way to determine how this works was to equate it to a magic item - since none exists, the idea is "How would a continuous item of Calm Emotions work?"

So basically, if someone beats the Will save within your 20 ft aura, your Calm Emotions is broken, at least until you move over 20 ft away from anyone who has taken a hostile action while in the aura.
    Last edited by Theomniadept; 2015-05-03 at 02:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
    Yeah I've gotta say it's one of the dumbest interpretations of Calm Emotions Aura I've seen so far. It's basically saying as weak as the Vows are in reality that they're aren't even functional from creation itself. I see no problem from reading them as the aura isn't treated as an attack so none of this is applicable in the first place... I'm just waiting for Necroticplague or someone along his lines of RAW expertise sees this.. When they do at least it should be interesting.
    +1

I still have no idea what happens when a creature makes its save against the aura, by the way.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    +1

I still have no idea what happens when a creature makes its save against the aura, by the way.
    The creature can do what ever it wants to. It's not affected so there are no restrictions.
    The way I see it, this also means the character can attack the creature, or do anything else, and not break the affect on anyone/thing else that did fail the save.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks everyone for their help, logic, and opinions! It's made it much clearer.

Now, I just have to go find ways (spells) that won't break my calm emotions aura, and still help the team!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    The creature can do what ever it wants to. It's not affected so there are no restrictions.
    The way I see it, this also means the character can attack the creature, or do anything else, and not break the affect on anyone/thing else that did fail the save.
    Read the spell, it breaks the enchantment on -any- creature affected by Calm Emotions.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theomniadept View Post
    Read the spell, it breaks the enchantment on -any- creature affected by Calm Emotions.
    Read what I was replying to. The creature made it's save. It's not affected by the aura, thus you are not attacking a "Calmed creature" so therefore it wouldn't have any repocussions on anything else that failed the save and is affected by the aura.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .