New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A by RAW for Pathfinder 4

Quote Originally Posted by Unbodied View Post
    Q154 But the Mindwright archetype for the Psion specifies that you get every Craft and Proffession skill so now I'm confused.
    Does Wizard only get one craft skill? Magus? Bard? Gunslinger? Fighter? Rogue?

They all write it that way - don't sweat it. In PF, all the classes get Craft as a class skill, it's just a perk of being a PC as far as I can tell.

Generally it's only called out if there might be confusion - such as the Alchemist spelling out (any) so you don't think they only get Craft (Alchemy.)

Q155

Is it necessary to have the appropriate psionic discipline to craft a Psionatrix or does not having it merely add a +5 to the craft DC like other missed requirements?
    A155: It's the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q156

In Ultimate Psionics the Psion class has Talents listed seperately from its Disciplines.

The Bombardier and Mindwright archetypes replaces those Talent with a single Talent in the case of the Bombardier and a Craft bonus for the Mindwright.

However the Elan specific Ascendant Psion archetype grants three Talents but says they replace the discipline one would normally chose and says nothing about replacing Talents. Does that mean the Ascendant Psion gets 7 Talents, counting Detect Psionics?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q157 Can you fire guns/crossbows with Telekinetic Move?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q158

Does a single Masterwork Artisan's Tools set give a bonus on multiple craft checks?

5. - Top - End - #305

A156: The talents a psion would normally gain come from its discipline, which ascendant psion replaces. So you only get the three talents listed.

A157: I'm not seeing this power, did you mean Telekinetic Force? No, the "move" ability only lets you move things, not use them.

"Move
    You can drop a weight and pick up another during the power’s duration, as long as you don’t stop concentrating on maintaining the power. An object can be telekinetically manipulated as if you were moving it with one hand."

In addition to the fact that moving a bow/crossbow and firing it are two different things, most weapons like this take two hands to use.

A158: Yes, they're reusable, but you need a separate set of tools for each individual type of craft check. (For example, you couldn't use your "sculpture" tools to make shoes, and you couldn't use your "painting" tools to cut jewels.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What kind of action is using Warp Perception? The text doesn't say anything about it.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unl...chetypes/dream scarred-press/distorter

Warp Perception (Su)

A 4th level distorter has learned to alter the way creatures perceive distances by manipulating the visual patterns. The distorter can cause up to her Intelligence modifier in creatures to incorrectly calculate the distance between the affected creature and the cryptic unless each creature makes a successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 cryptic class level + the cryptic’s Intelligence modifier). For a number of rounds equal to the cryptic’s Intelligence modifier, each square of movement any of the affected creatures take toward the cryptic counts as two squares of movement, regardless of the mode of movement (flight, swim, etc) or if the creature is corporeal or incorporeal. In addition, any ranged attacks made at the cryptic by the affected creatures that only work within a certain range (such as a ranged sneak attack or Point-Blank Shot) count the distance between the creature and the cryptic as double. This does not affect the range increment of the attack, only if the distance of the attack qualifies.

This ability replaces the insight normally gained at 4th level.

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    What kind of action is using Warp Perception? The text doesn't say anything about it.
    A159 Unless specified otherwise, using an ability is a standard action.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A156: The talents a psion would normally gain come from its discipline, which ascendant psion replaces. So you only get the three talents listed.

A158: Yes, they're reusable, but you need a separate set of tools for each individual type of craft check. (For example, you couldn't use your "sculpture" tools to make shoes, and you couldn't use your "painting" tools to cut jewels.)
    [B]Q156[B]Well that was what its like going by the online rules but in Ultimate Psionics the Psion just gets to pick three Talents +Detect Psionics and there's no connection between those and disciplines that I can see.

[B]Q158[B]I meant the second one. So its not enough to have one set of Artisan's Tools? I would have to have one for each Craft check? Would it be more efficient to get a Traveler's Any-Tool then?

Oh
    [B]Q158b[B]Do Masterwork tools give a bonus on Craft checks when you're using powers or spells to make stuff?

9. - Top - End - #309

[B]Q156[B]Well that was what its like going by the online rules but in Ultimate Psionics the Psion just gets to pick three Talents +Detect Psionics and there's no connection between those and disciplines that I can see.
    Ohhh, I see the issue. This is an error in the book - the Psionics Unleashed version of the psion had an ability called "Discipline Talents" (PsU 22) that gave you a small selection of psi-like abilities dependent on your discipline. These are what the archetypes are trying to replace. But in Ultimate Psionics, they dropped this ability from the Psion in favor of a broader "Talents" system that simply gives every manifesting class a selection of 0th-level powers to choose from.

Similarly, the Vitalist was supposed to have minor psi-like abilities called Knacks, but the text of the "Knacks" ability was altered to just give them talents (oth-level powers) from the Vitalist list instead.

I'm not sure then how these archetypes should be treated, because the "discipline talents" psion ability no longer exists. This could be one for the Dreamscarred FAQ, if it hasn't been noticed already by someone else.

[B]Q158[B]I meant the second one. So its not enough to have one set of Artisan's Tools? I would have to have one for each Craft check? Would it be more efficient to get a Traveler's Any-Tool then?
    A158a: That depends on how much crafting you plan to do. The any-tool costs as much as 5 sets of artisan's tools, so if you're using more craft skills than that then it's worth it, otherwise no. Also, it does not apply to every Craft skill (it specifically calls out alchemy as being inapplicable, and the description sounds like it would be ill-suited to painting too, so there may be some GM discretion involved here as well.)

So in other words, whether it's better depends on exactly which craft skills you're interested in performing and how many of them.

Oh
    [B]Q158b[B]Do Masterwork tools give a bonus on Craft checks when you're using powers or spells to make stuff?
    A158b: This is GM dependent, because to get the bonus you have to be using the tool as part of the process (i.e. it can't just be sitting in your backpack.) Generally I would say yes as long as the tool is something you could reasonably use during the act of spellcasting - for instance, a masterwork paintbrush that you could employ while casting Fabricate over some pigments to make a painting. But a tool that needs two hands would be tougher to swallow.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Q159
    Can you target yourself with ranged touch attack?
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Q160
    http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Magi...lant%20Pendant
    Do you need to be a worshipper of Aroden to gain the once per day +10 bonus on a knowledge check?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

A159 No. The combat section states that "an attack roll represents your attempt to strike your opponent" and for touch attacks "the aggressor need only touch a foe". Also, your character would instinctively shy away from hurting himself.

A160 Correct. That restriction applies to the entire paragraph.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Q161 The feat Noble Scion requires you to be level 1. Can you, at a higher level, retrain the feat you took at level 1 for Noble Scion?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q162

Can you use quintessence to make items created with Major Ectoplasmic Creation last forever? Thinking of rare metals in particular.

15. - Top - End - #315

A161: Yes.

A162: Yes, but generally you can't use them for anything while they're outside the time stream like that. You might be able to fool a shopkeeper into taking some goop-covered gems but that's about it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A161: Yes.

A162: Yes, but generally you can't use them for anything while they're outside the time stream like that. You might be able to fool a shopkeeper into taking some goop-covered gems but that's about it.
    But it would still let me bypass the 10 minute manifesting time with round/level duration problem right?

17. - Top - End - #317

But it would still let me bypass the 10 minute manifesting time with round/level duration problem right?
    I'm not sure what you mean - the duration doesn't start until you finish manifesting the power, so it shouldn't matter how long the item takes to create.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Q163: Are there any items or consumables that boost the save DC on my arcane spells?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A163: Yes. Any item that boosts your casting stat, such as Intelligence for Wizards or Charisma for Sorcerers, will increase the saving throw DC of your spells. Examples include potions of Fox's Cunning or Eagle's Splendor. Theoretically a Rod of Metamagic, Heighten would also provide increased saving throw DCs, however this item does not currently exist and would require special approval from your DM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm not sure what you mean - the duration doesn't start until you finish manifesting the power, so it shouldn't matter how long the item takes to create.
    I mean that it takes ten minutes to make something with Major Ectoplasmic Creation but objects made of Rare metal such as adamantine only last for 1round/level before they go poof. Which means that its pretty much impossible to do anything useful with them, at least that couldn't be accomplished far more easily with some other method. The most obvious use for it, crafting weapons becomes impossible since you can't manifest in combat and if you manifest outside combat the weapon goes up in smoke long before you can reach the enemy.

Quintessence seems like a good way to get around that problem.

21. - Top - End - #321

I mean that it takes ten minutes to make something with Major Ectoplasmic Creation but objects made of Rare metal such as adamantine only last for 1round/level before they go poof. Which means that its pretty much impossible to do anything useful with them, at least that couldn't be accomplished far more easily with some other method. The most obvious use for it, crafting weapons becomes impossible since you can't manifest in combat and if you manifest outside combat the weapon goes up in smoke long before you can reach the enemy.

Quintessence seems like a good way to get around that problem.
    Yes, Quintessence would let you store a Major Creation rare metal until it's time to use it for something. Once you take it out, the clock starts ticking. Keep in mind that you'll need multiple manifestations of Quintessence to cover most objects.

Yes, it's impractical/nearly impossible to use Major Creation to create an adamantine/mithral/cold iron weapon that you can actually use in a fight. This appears to be by design.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yes, Quintessence would let you store a Major Creation rare metal until it's time to use it for something. Once you take it out, the clock starts ticking. Keep in mind that you'll need multiple manifestations of Quintessence to cover most objects.

Yes, it's impractical/nearly impossible to use Major Creation to create an adamantine/mithral/cold iron weapon that you can actually use in a fight. This appears to be by design.
    It should work with projectiles made with the Bolt power as well shouldn't it?

23. - Top - End - #323

It should work with projectiles made with the Bolt power as well shouldn't it?
    Yes, though there's less need to do so there - that power is a standard action and the bolts last for min./lvl, plus it is very low level so you can twin/max/quicken it cheaply.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Q164: Are there any items or consumables that boost the save DC on my arcane spells other than by raising my casting stat?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A164: Yes. A Metamagic Rod, Focused allows you to add +2 on the saving throw DC of a spell under specific circumstances.

26. - Top - End - #326

A164 suggestion: This is the kind of open-ended question that would probably be best served with a crowdsourcing thread.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #327

Q165 what half Orc things are orcs allowed to also take with items, fears, traits, and archtypes?

28. - Top - End - #328

A165: Pretty much nothing - while half-orcs count as orcs due to their racial, the reverse is not true. Similarly, Elves don't get to take Half-Elf things (e.g. Human Spirit or Exile's Path.)

Humans of course get to cheat via Racial Heritage.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #329

A165: Pretty much nothing - while half-orcs count as orcs due to their racial, the reverse is not true. Similarly, Elves don't get to take Half-Elf things (e.g. Human Spirit or Exile's Path.)

Humans of course get to cheat via Racial Heritage.
    That sucks due to half orcs getting so much more love, orcs really should of been a PHB race.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Q166 Does the Magical Knack trait affect the Alchemist's bomb ability (in bombs per day or bomb damage)? If not, is there some other way to give a multiclassed alchemist his "bomb levels" back?