New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Creator of Spheres of Power Here: Ask Me Anything

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Low casters don't like the destruction sphere. Too little damage with too low of saves for the good rider effects. An archetype would have to get around the fact that you have no way to full attack with destructive blast, perhaps channeling it somehow. Multiple blasts would help alleviate both the damage and DC concerns, since for shots if more damage and even low saves get failed if rolled enough. Targeting touch AC also gives more space for boosting your casting stat.
    Could be one of those "class level equals caster level with one sphere only" archetypes? There might be enough non-applicable stuff to trade away to justify it. The [Element] Warrior archetypes also provide an example of "full caster level with one particular talent," so you could just have full CL when you use Stone Blast, which doesn't care about saving throws. Though that's a pretty big carrot, and I'm not overly fond of locking the class into one blast type like that. Maybe you could let the PC choose one blast type to get full Caster Level with.

Dead Shot comes online at level 7. I could see using its same rules for Destruction blasts, as a stand-in for full attacks. Maybe it could increase the save DC in addition to the damage, if you wanted to use it with blasts that require saves.
    Last edited by Oberon Kenobi; 2015-08-09 at 01:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show
    The Sphere Tactician, a Tactician archetype for Spheres of Power.
    The Bullet Witch, a Gunslinger archetype also for Spheres of Power

2. - Top - End - #422

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Kenobi View Post
    Could be one of those "class level equals caster level with one sphere only" archetypes? There might be enough non-applicable stuff to trade away to justify it. The [Element] Warrior archetypes also provide an example of "full caster level with one particular talent," so you could just have full CL when you use Stone Blast, which doesn't care about saving throws. Though that's a pretty big carrot, and I'm not overly fond of locking the class into one blast type like that. Maybe you could let the PC choose one blast type to get full Caster Level with.
    I don't see how you come to these conclusions. The Warrior archetypes do not grant full CL for the destruction sphere, that's what the Elementalist class does. Also that full CL does for any destruction talent, so all blast types already benefit from it.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

The warrior archetypes do grant full CL for the appropriate nature sphere package and other archetypes do increase faster level. I'm not sure what a gunslinger specializing in destruction would do that would be dramatically better on that chassis then as an elementalist archetype that uses guns.

4. - Top - End - #424

I'm not sure what a gunslinger specializing in destruction would do that would be dramatically better on that chassis then as an elementalist archetype that uses guns.
    Deeds; trick shots, called shots, bounce-it-around-the-corner shots. Not dramatically better, but certainly different. Full BAB is nice, too, though you're certainly right that it really needs full (or at least Mid?) Destruction CL to do its job properly.

Though you could certainly just add deeds to the Elementalist. That would probably require a lot less work. I feel as though the flavor would be different, though; the Gunslinger very definitely feels like a Gunslinger, in a way that the gives-you-deeds archetypes generally don't.

I dunno, I will perhaps play around with both. I think the basic idea of pairing Destruction and Deeds is cool, regardless of which chassis it's built on.
    Last edited by Oberon Kenobi; 2015-08-09 at 05:54 PM.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

I decided to build a Sphere Summoner for fun and I was wondering if the Sphere Summoner's Eidolon gets an evolution pool still. Personally I have always disliked the Summon Monster X line and I always just wanted the Eidolon because it is so cool and can fit nearly any concept you want.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

The eidolon feature is overridden by the conjuration sphere, with one companion designated as the 'eidolon' for purposes of later class benefits, so no, the conjuration companion should not gain evolutions. It should be plenty strong as it is anyhow.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

The eidolon feature is overridden by the conjuration sphere, with one companion designated as the 'eidolon' for purposes of later class benefits, so no, the conjuration companion should not gain evolutions. It should be plenty strong as it is anyhow.
    I thought the point was that the single companion you choose gets Evolutions, so that you still have the one extra beefy one. You trade a hell of a lot for not that much otherwise.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

stack & the Discussion of Psychic Spheres: Now that Occult Adventures is out, we can certainly look into including some of those concepts into SoP, yeah.

@kkplx: The general rule of all polymorph is it changes your equipment size as well, and Alteration is no exception.

@Oberon Kenobi: Let me know how that archetype comes out, I like the sound of it.

@Ironsides: No evolution pool no, conjuration talents generally take the place of that concept, and combining the two could get you some reaaaaaaaly powerful combos.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Can the Incanter select Druid domains?

Can the Witch/Sorcerer select Bloodline/Patron familiars?
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

That was scowling dragon, I've paid little to no attention to the psychic stuff. I had some questions, but they were unrelated to that discussion.
    Last edited by stack; 2015-08-10 at 04:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

In the Incanter Sphere Specializations, most of the Spheres provide abilities at 1st and 8th level, but Protection provides abilities at 1st and 6th--is that what's intended?

Thanks for your time, sorry if this has been asked before.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

So going through the Magic Item section, is there any reason Spheres of Power describes Forge Ring as Wondrous Item? Spheres of Power seems to imply that in SpheresOfPowerLand you need the Forge Ring item creation feat that, in RegularPathfinderLand, only needs the Craft Wondrous Item feat. I am seriously confused here.

(Slightly) more clearly, it says that "Forge Ring is not only used to create magical rings, but also all forms of worn items, be they belts, amulets, headbands, gloves or others. Forge Ring allows the caster to place constant bonuses into these items, allowing those who wear them to benefit from their power."

Except when you look items like that up on the SRD such as the Headband of Vast Intelligence, it requires Craft Wondrous item instead.

I am very confused. I'm going with "for creating magic items, if you have the requisite feat required to craft it and a sphere talent that duplicates the required spell to make it, you can craft it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    So, you're using an argument of "not RAW but it's logical", and that's the part of the build that you're objecting to?
    And besides, it's a ludicrous way of breaking the game by twisting rules beyond all recognition. Kobolds have to be involved in there somewhere.

13. - Top - End - #433

You can't mix SoP and core for magic item creation. Core basically says that crafting requires feats in relation to the form of the magic item, SoP requires feats in relation to the function of the magic item. So while the names of the feats are the same, they do not do the same.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

And any particular reason why in core, a caster can create that headband I mentioned at level 3 or 4, wheres in Spheres of Power you can't make it until level 7? (Assuming the feat requirements are the same, and I see nothing suggesting they aren't.) SoP doesn't mention any level requirement for Forge Ring, but it does say you use Forge Ring for stuff like attribute bonuses. As best as I can tell, SoP seems to increase the difficulty and level requirement for crafting items. So it looks like it's just a strict downgrade.
    So, you're using an argument of "not RAW but it's logical", and that's the part of the build that you're objecting to?
    And besides, it's a ludicrous way of breaking the game by twisting rules beyond all recognition. Kobolds have to be involved in there somewhere.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    And any particular reason why in core, a caster can create that headband I mentioned at level 3 or 4, wheres in Spheres of Power you can't make it until level 7? (Assuming the feat requirements are the same, and I see nothing suggesting they aren't.) SoP doesn't mention any level requirement for Forge Ring, but it does say you use Forge Ring for stuff like attribute bonuses. As best as I can tell, SoP seems to increase the difficulty and level requirement for crafting items. So it looks like it's just a strict downgrade.
    1. It gives an actual reason for people to take forge ring (since ... really there is no reason to take forge ring normally).
    2. Forge ring allows you to make items that grant constant benefits when worn, while craft wondrous item in SoP can only make items that have effects on use.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

16. - Top - End - #436
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes but what's with the random nerf of not being able to make the item until level 7 as opposed to level 3 in core >.>

What bugs me about the change is it doubles the level you need to craft the item for no good or discernible reason. If I can take Forge Ring at level 3, then whatever I don't care.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quick question: will SoP ever come out as open content on the d20pfsrd?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

It's going to be there as soon as the people at d20pfsrd get it up.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #439
    Halfling in the Playground

Does the new Seelie archetype for the fey adept grant a single iteration of Versatile Performance at 2nd-level, or the full progression of Versatile Performance across levels 2, 6, 10, 14, and 18?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Mithril Leaf: I see no reason why not.

@Aditus: We tried to map sphere specializations to school specializations as much as possible (to help people transition builds and concepts from one system to the other), and for whatever reason, the Abjuration school grants its benefit at 6th level instead of 8th.

Magic item creation is a system that I've heard a lot of people complain about, so while we were re-writing magic casting, we decided to also re-write crafting. Since a complaint we heard a lot was A. Forge Ring was underpowered since it only crafted for one item slot and B. Craft Wondrous Item was overpowered since it literally crafted 'everything that hasn't already been mentioned', we mapped each crafting feat to a form of creation so each feat could have a range of options while simultaneously being more controlled.

The new rules make some things harder to craft, other things easier to craft, and since there was no way to make it equal to the core system without making it just BE the core system, we decided to leave its quirks as-is; ability-increases are harder to make, but potions now go up to '10th' level, etc.

@Larkas: One day of course, but John's swamped right now and we can't spare the manpower, so I can't tell you when that will be.

@Adslahnit: They just get it once, not the whole progression.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Halfling in the Playground

You mention earlier in the thread that a gestalt Spheres of Power character would pool all of their magic talents together and would have a caster level for all of them equal to their highest caster level.

However, what of their spell points? Would they pool together their spell points as well, or would they simply use the highest amount of spell points one gestalt side grants?

Furthermore, if a Mid Caster gains a magic talent every time they gain a caster level, would a gestalt Mid Caster|High Caster gain a magic talent from their Mid Caster side at every level?

Lastly, how would you write up a feat or a magic talent that lets the Weather sphere be more effective against enemies with cold, electricity, and fire resistance or immunity? I would like to play a Weather-focused sorcerer, but my campaign will have plenty of fiends in it, and thus much of the avenues for doling out damage via the Weather sphere will be rendered ineffective.
    Last edited by Adslahnit; 2015-08-12 at 03:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

A gestalt sorcerer/oracle gets spells known and spell slots from both sides, so I presume a gestalt spherecaster would get talents and spell points from both sides, but since gestalt isn't exactly in the core rules it is really up to the DM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

If you combine the nauseating ghost strike with the energy sphere from destruction, does the target get two saves, reflex negates and fortitude partial? (assuming 2 spell points spent)

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Should we start numbering questions so they don't get lost in discussion? Seems to be the thing to do in Q&A threads.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Pixie in the Playground

Is it just me or is the life sphere talent "Restore Soul" over powered? With "the target is also cured of all ability drain and temporary negative levels."

This seems to make undead that drain levels no longer dangerous at all.
    You would have to be completely drained of all your levels/stats in one round, or the healer just waves the damage away.

in the campaign I am currently running the healer/summoner (Azernak0) has Life Sphere (ranged healing, mass healing, restorative cure, restore soul) A large group of specters attacked the party. Except for the 1 person I had surround, the encounter was mostly a yawn.

I do realize there is a heavy investment in life sphere to be able to accomplish this.

another question: to do the above, I add up the cost as 3 spell points.
    1. cure = 1
    2. mass heal = 1
    3. restorative cure to allow restore soul = 1

is that correct?

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilGM View Post
    I do realize there is a heavy investment in life sphere to be able to accomplish this.
    another question: to do the above, I add up the cost as 3 spell points.
    1. cure = 1
    2. mass heal = 1
    3. restorative cure to allow restore soul = 1

is that correct?
    That looks correct, but I dont agree that it is overpowered. I believe most of the playground will agree that healing damage is less powerful then preventing the damage to begin with. I appreciate however, that the Life Sphere does allow someone to create a focused healer.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2015-08-12 at 08:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447

I also don't agree that it is overpowered. By the time you're high enough level to have those talents and casually throw around that many spell points, I think that helping your party tank energy drain (which, IMO, is a cheap screw-you monster ability) is something that a dedicated healer should be able to do.

That plus restoring all permanent ability drain on all ability scores does seem a bit much for a single talent that doesn't even cost an additional spell point, though. I dunno; as I've mentioned, I think targeting ability scores is pretty lame too, so I don't mind being able to counter that tactic.
    Last edited by Oberon Kenobi; 2015-08-12 at 08:00 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Kenobi View Post
    I also don't agree that it is overpowered. By the time you're high enough level to have those talents and casually throw around that many spell points, I think that helping your party tank energy drain (which, IMO, is a cheap screw-you monster ability) is something that a dedicated healer should be able to do.

That plus restoring all permanent ability drain on all ability scores does seem a bit much for a single talent that doesn't even cost an additional spell point, though. I dunno; as I've mentioned, I think targeting ability scores is pretty lame too, so I don't mind being able to counter that tactic.
    He is an Incanter, so has plenty of talents, and used the incanter bonus feats to take "extra spell points".
    I don't mind the PC being able to heal the damage. But one use of a talent completely negates an encounters fear/danger, for a couple spell points. I would just like to see the PC to have to expend more resources/actions to overcome the encounter. Not them just pressing the I win button.

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilGM View Post
    He is an Incanter, so has plenty of talents, and used the incanter bonus feats to take "extra spell points". I don't mind the PC being able to heal the damage. But one use of a talent completely negates an encounters fear/danger, for a couple spell points. I would just like to see the PC to have to expend more resources/actions to overcome the encounter. Not them just pressing the I win button.
    Except that it isn't an 'I Win' button. Healing the party doesn't just win the encounter. And any round that the incanter spends casting healing spells is a round where the incanter could've debuffed, controlled, or otherwise incapacitate the enemies. Again, healing outside of combat is useful, but there are usually more efficient ways of using your action economy inside of combat than healing.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welp, here's a question that comes from the Expanded Options book. And I guess I'll number it as per Stack's suggestion, so I can get a trend going.

#1:The Triple Goddess Archetype says that it grants two spheres from Life, Death, or Fate. Is this giving two bonus spheres, or is this a mandatory 'You're putting your first two spheres here' deal? (And if it's the latter, what about people that multiclass into it?)