New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Creator of Spheres of Power Here: Ask Me Anything

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    This might be really crazy, but why don't you instead trade the magic talent you get at the second level? That slot is unused so far.
    I think that part of the thought process there was that you end up going like 3 levels without learning any new talents, so you've basically got a cantrip as one of your core class features. I guess it would be pretty well balanced, actually, but it's a long time to go without being able to modify your starting casting abilities.

But yeah, I think that would be a really good substitution prereq for the Dragoon if you want to combo it with Warrior of Holy Light for a real mounted Paladin feel.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

With regards to the Sphere Magus, do they possess the ability to use arcane pool recovery to gain spell points? Such as through the Bladebound's Transfer Arcana ability.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

I apologize for disappearing for so long; I've been finishing up Worlds of Power and the Skybourne races, and finishing tweaks always consume my attention.

@stack: You can't enlarge it, but you can have both uses of Fire Wielder active at once if you want to go all-out flame.

If you are maintaining the hostile lift effect and the flying creature does not make their Will save, they cannot move.

@MesiDoomstalker: Considering the stone costs $30,000 gp, I'd allow it. It's a bit more powerful than it is in Core, but not so much so that I think an adjustment is required, or at least that's my impression off the top of my head.

And while it is possible to enchant an item as both a weapon and a staff, enhancing a focus item as a weapon does not affect casting by itself, no.

@Scowling Dragon: Personally, I'd remove the natural armor; that's not really ooze's style. In exchange, I think you could give it another ability; I'd say grab.

I haven't done the balancing exercises of course, but I think it should work.

@EldritchWeaver: I'd go Warrior of Holy Light and Conjuration sphere; you can have a mount, or an angel companion if you'd prefer.

@stack: size wouldn't affect anything, but I allow related feats to affect it, yeah.

@Ironsides: Guiding the lightning would be a free action.

@EldritchWeaver: That alternate trade works, yeah; right before publication I'm always making tweaks here and there if I feel like something's off, and honestly I can't tell you why that got changed.

Trading resist magic removes the whole ability.

@Trisagon: That's a Pathfinder question; I believe the general rule is they do not stack, so you'd end up with two channel energy pools at a weaker power level rather than one pool at a combined power level.

@Mithril Leaf: I have not tested that, but tentatively yes?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, so ever since I got Spheres of power I have loved it. I use it as much as possible in any of the games I DM.
    Having said that I have found that a lot of the abilities need clarification or aren't quite as good as they should be. I have included my thought below.

Spoiler: Questions and Suggestions
    Show
    Alteration:
    -You should be able to add more traits than 1 + 1/5 lvls. So at 20th lvl I can add 5 traits to someone?
    Also I think you should be able to maintain Shapeshift on yourself as concentration as a swift action, or there should be a feat or trait that allows you to do so. I can understand you having to maintain concentration on others but it should be easier in yourself.
    Also when you are concentrating on maintaining an ability can it be disrupted by being attack like concentrating on a normal Spell. If so I think you should change that or make a trait that eliminates it.

Conjuration:
    -Adv talent: There should be a specification on what you can Summon with the Summoning talent. Such as HD limit. Something that give a better idea of what your capable of doing.

Creation:
    -Adv Talent
    -Fleshcraft- Loves this ability but how do you choose its Str, Dex and Con? Do you roll like normal? point Buy? Craft check? I think you should be able to craft the ability scores, maybe costing Spell points and high craft checks?

Death:
    Adv Talent
    -Summon Spirit- Clarification is needed here. I love that I can use this to turn my party into undead. But as it is written if I put my 10th lvl fighter friends body into 10HD Ogre fast zombie then he loses all his class lvls as per "creature may recover or gain class levels over time, but loses at least 1 level per Hit Die of its new form" However as per this post http://www.dropdeadstudios.com/forum...d-pcs-4747447/
    it is implied the reverse, that my class lvl overwrites the HD. Which is it?

Destruction:
    -I think there should be a Talent that Allows you to use your destructive blast as part of a full attack but lowers your caster lvl by half when doing so and doesnt work when combined with a Blast type that changes the area of the blast. This would give you options in combat other than "Standard action Smash".

Enhancement:
    -Animate Object- So if I animate an Opponents weapon to become an Animate object then they have to make a Ref save as long as they hold the item and if they Make it, they use the item as normal? If they fail, their turn is wasted? Is that correct? Then if they drop the item it functions as a normal Animate object correct?
    -Adv talents
    - Why is there no Permanent Enhancement Talent? I would have thought of all the spheres this would be the one that needs it most. Especially in regards to creating Magic items.

Protection:
    -Spell ward- Since this affects all magic affects in range I would assume if affects mine as well, Correct? Can I choose to fail the roll to suppress an item to allow mine and my companions effects to continue working?
    -Adv Talent
    -Anti-Magic Aura -
    I suppose this question applies to the Spell-ward as well. Since I can create a Ward so small it only covers me, dose that mean that I can create an Anti-magic Aura or Spell-Ward that only affects others abilities or would it still affect me?

Telekinesis:
    -Bludgeon- If i understand this correctly, as a standard action i pick up an object and move it my 20ft +5ft/5 caster lvl make an attack with?
    It says I have to move the object into the opponents Square... why is that? I ask because dosent that provoke an attack of opportunity?
    -Why is there no talent or feat that allows you to use your Caster lvl instead of Bab when making an attack. Not having this makes pure casters suck when using telekinesis.
    -Steal and Telekinetic Maneuver: Why is there a Will save as well as a CMB check? Why is the CMB check at -5. Having both these requirements makes these abilities almost useless. Also, for the CMB check, do I use any other bonuses I might have to the Maneuvers, such as from size, feats, or traits? because as it is worded right it seems you only get Caster lvl + Casting stat -5 which puts you significantly behind any equal lvl CMD.

I suppose my biggest problem is that Telekinesis uses its normal BaB instead of caster lvl and that concentrating on the Sphere powers can by disrupted by being attacked. That makes for problems with low lvl casting.
    I gotta say too that I was highly disappointed with the Telekinetic Warrior Archetype. Looks more like they traded some abilities for some arbitrary +'s that don't really do anything useful. When I think of a telekinetic warrior so many cool things come to mind.

I apologise if any of this comes off as Harsh, that is not my intention. I truly love Spheres of Power, I think it just needs some tweeking.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias1313 View Post
    Conjuration:
    -Adv talent: There should be a specification on what you can Summon with the Summoning talent. Such as HD limit. Something that give a better idea of what your capable of doing.
    Third paragraph, last sentence. The limit is caster level per hit die.

How does a juju Oracle's Spirit Vessels revelation interact with the Death Sphere? My instinct is to have it add 2 to the cap and give animated dead maximized hit dice.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2015-07-18 at 01:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias1313 View Post
    -You should be able to add more traits than 1 + 1/5 lvls. So at 20th lvl I can add 5 traits to someone?
    Also I think you should be able to maintain Shapeshift on yourself as concentration as a swift action, or there should be a feat or trait that allows you to do so. I can understand you having to maintain concentration on others but it should be easier in yourself.
    Also when you are concentrating on maintaining an ability can it be disrupted by being attack like concentrating on a normal Spell. If so I think you should change that or make a trait that eliminates it.
    You can do that already by burning a spellpoint (And increase the duration of the spellpoint burn with a Talent). You can also increase the maximum traits with a talent. By RAW, you can only increase the maximum traits once, but a houserule can be increased every time you get that talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    You can do that already by burning a spellpoint (And increase the duration of the spellpoint burn with a Talent). You can also increase the maximum traits with a talent. By RAW, you can only increase the maximum traits once, but a houserule can be increased every time you get that talent.
    In addition to that, I don't think that alteration needs any more of a boost then it already has.. I consider Alteration and Conjuration 2 of the most powerful (Tier-wise) spheres.

Now something I think does need a couple boosts is enhancement, it isn't weak, but I feel that it focus's alot more on enhancing items, as opposed to enhancing a creature. Again, not that that is bad. But as it stands right now, if you want to increase someone's physical ability scores, you dont bother with enhancement but rather use alteration.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't understand that. Alteration only allows for an increase in size. Which makes for better ability scores (In STR or DEX only) but comes at a price and is really useless in many cases.
    A little condescending

9. - Top - End - #249

A little late, but for what it's worth, my DM houseruled it so that traditional Vancian spells could be learned in a Sphere spellbook provided the class could cast them were they a standard Vancian caster, always costing one spell point to do so.

This was only instituted for half-casters - 5th level and higher Vancian spells were, effectively, banned.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

10. - Top - End - #250

I don't understand that. Alteration only allows for an increase in size. Which makes for better ability scores (In STR or DEX only) but comes at a price and is really useless in many cases.
    Look at Size Change again, increasing in size with alteration increases CON aswell. So lets compare things for a moment:

One casting of Enhancement (With Physical Enhancement Talent):
    @ CL 01: +2 STR, +2 DEX, or +2 CON
    @ CL 07: +4 STR, +4 DEX, or +4 CON
    @ CL 14: +6 STR, +6 DEX, or +6 CON

One casting of Alteration (With Size Change Talent):
    @ CL 01: +4 STR, -2 DEX & +2 CON; or -2 STR +2 DEX.
    @ CL 05: +8 STR, -4 DEX & +4 CON; or -6 STR +4 DEX.
    @ CL 10: +8 STR, -4 DEX & +4 CON; or -8 STR +6 DEX.

Now I cannot say that the CL 10 increase to CON from Alteration is better than the CL 14 increase from Enhancement, but you also get an increased STR at an added bonus. I cannot also say that any of the bonuses from Dex are flat-out better than that granted from Enhancement, because it completely equals out (as opposed to increasing in size). But one thing that Size increase has over Physical enhancement is that it becomes active sooner. Having to wait an extra 4-9 levels for a +6 to an ability score can be distressing.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2015-07-18 at 09:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is there any particular reason why Stalwart was used as the name for the mageknight class feature instead of the more well-known Mettle?
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Is there any particular reason why Stalwart was used as the name for the mageknight class feature instead of the more well-known Mettle?
    Because Mettle is 3.5 not pathfinder. Pathfinder uses the name Stalwart.

Look Here, Here, Here, Here, and Here.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2015-07-18 at 11:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Because Mettle is 3.5 not pathfinder. Pathfinder uses the name Stalwart.
    Ah, okay. I didn't even know PF had a class with that ability (Inquisitor turns up after a quick search).
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Look at Size Change again, increasing in size with alteration increases CON aswell. So lets compare things for a moment:
    But you also increase in size and mass. Causing a large drop in defense and accuracy EI:

A Huge Creature takes a -2 Penalty to hit (Canceling out a large portion of the STR bonus to hit), and a total of a -4 to defense.

It also occupies more space, which is great in a vacuum, but sucks in tight dungeons or buildings designed for medium-small characters.

I know its not perfect balance, and maybe it still needs rebalancing, but your leaving out elements in your arguments.
    A little condescending

15. - Top - End - #255

But you also increase in size and mass. Causing a large drop in defense and accuracy EI:

A Huge Creature takes a -2 Penalty to hit (Canceling out a large portion of the STR bonus to hit), and a total of a -4 to defense.

It also occupies more space, which is great in a vacuum, but sucks in tight dungeons or buildings designed for medium-small characters.

I know its not perfect balance, and maybe it still needs rebalancing, but your leaving out elements in your arguments.
    I understand that. But two other things to consider:

Alteration (1 Casting): CL 5: Size Increase + 1 Trait; CL 10: Size Increase +2 Traits; CL 15: Size Increase +3 Traits; CL 20: Size Increase +4 Traits.
    Enhancement (1 Casting): CL 5: Physical Enhancement; CL 10: Physical Enhancement; CL 15: Physical Enhancement; CL 20: Physical Enhancement.
    ------------------------------
    Alteration Low-Caster: Gains full benefit of Size Increase by level 20.
    Enhancement Low-Caster: Does not gain full benefit of Physical Enhancement.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2015-07-19 at 12:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Well thats always the case with shapeshifting isn't it? Always has been always will be.

Plus you can attach different versions of enchantment on the same target. For more points yes, but for a stronger overall effect. But you can only have shapeshifting once.

Would you recommend increasing the maximum caster level for size shifting then?

But it isn't an argument. I know shapeshifting is just an impossible line to walk. It either doesn't emulate the feeling of shapeshifting or emulates the feeling of shapeshifting and is too good!

Plus enchantment isn't JUST stats. It creates utterly disposable minions. Which means that one who specializes in Enchantment can create minions and then buff them.

But take both. Animate some logs and turn them into stone panthers.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2015-07-19 at 12:20 AM.
    A little condescending

17. - Top - End - #257

I actually just homebrew an enhancement talent called "Extra Enhancement" which you can take multiple times (two max). Each time you take it you may apply an additional Physical or Mental enhancement with a single casting. With two Extra Enhancement you gain all three ability score increases with a single casting. i.e. Physical Enhancement gives +2 STR, +2 CON, & +2 DEX with one casting.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. That seems pretty gud actually. Nice solution.
    A little condescending

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, need to channel my inner Psybomb and do damage sims for dancing weapons verses the same weapons as animated objects...not right now though.

20. - Top - End - #260

Regarding the Dragoon archetype, why not allow to choose when the magic talent for the mount is traded away? That way anyone can choose the level they feel most comfortable with and it remains compatible with the Warrior of the Holy Light. At least that's how I'll be rolling it.

Edit:

BTW, who has won the contest you've been holding?

Also, when looking through the classes in this post describing a SoP/PoW mixed game, I noticed that the Ranger has no love. The Sphere Ranger is a bit too handicapped for my taste, I'm missing an archetype like the Warrior of Holy Light.
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2015-07-19 at 04:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Also, when looking through the classes in this post describing a SoP/PoW mixed game, I noticed that the Ranger has no love. The Sphere Ranger is a bit too handicapped for my taste, I'm missing an archetype like the Warrior of Holy Light.
    In our games we houserule that rangers, paladins, etc utilize the armorist low-caster progression. This helps alot in insuring that it is on par with the other sphere classes.

22. - Top - End - #262

In our games we houserule that rangers, paladins, etc utilize the armorist low-caster progression. This helps alot in insuring that it is on par with the other sphere classes.
    Consider this yoinked!

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    A little late, but for what it's worth, my DM houseruled it so that traditional Vancian spells could be learned in a Sphere spellbook provided the class could cast them were they a standard Vancian caster, always costing one spell point to do so.

This was only instituted for half-casters - 5th level and higher Vancian spells were, effectively, banned.
    Let me get this straight: You need to pay only 1 SP regardless of the spell level? And only Sphere converted classes have access to the spells? And of these classes this can't be done by a Sphere Wizard, but instead of by a Sphere Ranger?

24. - Top - End - #264

Let me get this straight: You need to pay only 1 SP regardless of the spell level? And only Sphere converted classes have access to the spells? And of these classes this can't be done by a Sphere Wizard, but instead of by a Sphere Ranger?
    Mostly as a thought experiment I started converting the bard spell list into spheres of power to see the percentage of spells that don't convert well. Anyways I got most of the way through level 1 bard spells, and there were very few spells that had to be converted into rituals or be spellcrafted. If you want to take a look at the list as it stands now you can look at it here.

The point of the matter is, I agree with EldritchWeaver in that alls spells costing 1 spellpoint regardless of level is just ridiculously low. Now some other houserules that we allow in our game are as follows:

o Vancian casting does not exist, i.e. all wizards are sphere wizards, etc.
    o Scrolls/Potions that mimic vancian spells may be purchased, but wands/staves always use sphere creation rules.
    o Other magic items, i.e. wondrous items that cast vancian spells, cast the vancian spell imbued, but only require appropriate spheres to create.

We have other houserules, but I feel that it may be inappropriate to go into deep detail about it in this forum which is devoted to asking questions.

To get back on topic I have a question of my own. Divination Sphere says:

Quote Originally Posted by Divination Base Sphere
    Divining always has a duration of concentration, but you must spend a full-round action concentrating (you can take no other action, not even walking); you are flat-footed while divining.
    How does that work with the Divination Talents: Divine Future (divine) and Divine Knowledge (divine)?

25. - Top - End - #265

Mostly as a thought experiment I started converting the bard spell list into spheres of power to see the percentage of spells that don't convert well. Anyways I got most of the way through level 1 bard spells, and there were very few spells that had to be converted into rituals or be spellcrafted. If you want to take a look at the list as it stands now you can look at it here.
    Nice. :) Although I prefer a wiki somewhere so everyone can contribute more easily - a complete collection of all spells would be a great help for converting NPCs. Not sure where to setup one though.

We have other houserules, but I feel that it may be inappropriate to go into deep detail about it in this forum which is devoted to asking questions.
    Adam mentioned that he would like to have a collection of house rules at his own company forum. So I've created a House Rules thread there. I'll add mine once I've written them down in one convenient place.

To get back on topic I have a question of my own. Divination Sphere says [stuff]

How does that work with the Divination Talents: Divine Future (divine) and Divine Knowledge (divine)?
    Regarding Divine Future: Every time you apply this talent, you load up charges. These charges do not require that you are still using Divine Future. Instead they are free/immediate actions where you can add a small bonus to another action.

Regarding Divine Information: I'd combine the knowledge check with the full-round action where you spend the spell point.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, alteration and light can combine to give quite a huge amount of size increases, alteration getting you can up to huge, light boosting you up to three more virtual size increases. Hadn't really considered a reach-monster thaumaturge before...

Mage knight and Armorist benefit too, of course, just more slowly with their CL.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

Wizards in general were banned in the aforementioned campaign (wizards are pretty much just always banned in my campaigns though) and the rule was appropriate for the power level of that individual campaign (In fact it was instuted directly to buff up the weaker party members; suffice it to say a lot of third party stuff ended up being used and there was some weird tweaking I had to do here and there.). If you were trying to broadly institute it and balance it I would recommend going through and assigning spell point costs either based on caster level or what you feel is appropriate for the individual spell. The latter can be an awfully herculian task for some folks though.

It wasn't actually instituted only for half-casters either; Taveena's misremembering. We had a full caster that used it.
    If I say anything particularly rude, let me know! I can be an unintentionally terse person sometimes despite the walls of text.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumVixen View Post
    Wizards in general were banned in the aforementioned campaign (wizards are pretty much just always banned in my campaigns though) and the rule was appropriate for the power level of that individual campaign (In fact it was instuted directly to buff up the weaker party members; suffice it to say a lot of third party stuff ended up being used and there was some weird tweaking I had to do here and there.). If you were trying to broadly institute it and balance it I would recommend going through and assigning spell point costs either based on caster level or what you feel is appropriate for the individual spell. The latter can be an awfully herculian task for some folks though.

It wasn't actually instituted only for half-casters either; Taveena's misremembering. We had a full caster that used it.
    ... I'll be honest, I still can't remember what full-caster got that. But for the most part, yeah, you don't reeeally want casting Wish to have the same cost as a Snowball. My personal guess for a rough houserule (that would have pretty much the same spell level assignments) would be 'costs SP equal to half spell level, rounded up', but given exponential wizards... Spell level squared, divided by four, round down? So 0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 16, 20. So it basically takes up all of your daily resources to bust a Wish out.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    ... I'll be honest, I still can't remember what full-caster got that. But for the most part, yeah, you don't reeeally want casting Wish to have the same cost as a Snowball. My personal guess for a rough houserule (that would have pretty much the same spell level assignments) would be 'costs SP equal to half spell level, rounded up', but given exponential wizards... Spell level squared, divided by four, round down? So 0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 16, 20. So it basically takes up all of your daily resources to bust a Wish out.
    I'd rather remove spells like wish from the available options than calibrate the SP costs to the worst offender. After all, Meteor Swarm can be roughly replicated with a spellcrafted spell for 3 SP. On the other hand, I'd not provide any Vancian spells which SoP can already replicate good enough anyway, so that leaves generally more problematic spells. And those can have higher costs, assuming they are available. For my campaign I'll filter Vancian spells heavily, but that'll take some time until I get to it (or need to do it) which means I don't have a finished answer for this problem.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anyone have a good workaround for combining the Bladebound archetype with the Sphere Magus? The Bladebound archetype changes the arcane pool but the Sphere Magus replaces it with the spell pool.