New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Battlefront

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Battlefront

So the open betas been up for a day now. What do folks think?

I like it so far, my only complaint is that Walker Assaukt is apparently always unavailable for me.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Battlefront

My only complaint so far is that it crashes my video card when I try to run it.

Actually, having watched some gameplay footage from various YouTubers, it doesn't really feel like Battlefront at all. There's no classes, equipment is behind locked gates (that I'm sure you'll be able to pay Real Money to get past quickly...), vehicles are random powerups, TIE fighters have missiles... Okay, that last one might just be me being a nerd, but the rest of those are more serious complaints/concerns I have about the game. On the plus side, it looks great and the levels are big and open, so that's cool.

EDIT: Also no space battles makes me a sad kitty.
    Last edited by Sholos; 2015-10-10 at 09:47 AM.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Actually, having watched some gameplay footage from various YouTubers, it doesn't really feel like Battlefront at all. There's no classes, equipment is behind locked gates (that I'm sure you'll be able to pay Real Money to get past quickly...), vehicles are random powerups, TIE fighters have missiles... Okay, that last one might just be me being a nerd, but the rest of those are more serious complaints/concerns I have about the game. On the plus side, it looks great and the levels are big and open, so that's cool.

EDIT: Also no space battles makes me a sad kitty.
    I felt much the same way when i first watched the gameplay, and as a result i went into the beta expecting to be completely displeased.

However, when you get down to actually playing the game i find that it all works surprisingly well and makes for a rather enjoyable experience. - Despite the perfectly valid complaints that you and frankly i myself had prior to playing it, the game really does feel fun and i might even go so far as say it feels like Battlefront.

The lack of space combat is entirely inexcusable however, and i wouldn't be terribly shocked for EA to absolutely ruin what so far looks to be(IMO) a rather good game on release.
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2015-10-10 at 12:04 PM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Time will tell, but EA does not have a good track record.

I will admit that like it has already been said, I went into it thinking, well, let's see if it really is just Battlefield: Star Wars.

But I am loving it, and frankly, IMHO, removing the various classes actually made things better. Now, if I want a weapon that packs extra firepower because I am getting mowed down by the rebels, I can switch out blasters easily and quickly at my next respawn, and the hand concept makes every character versatile, as I would expect a good Rebel trooper to actually be.

Don't get me wrong, I know it was easy enough to change classes at respawn, but this change of removing the names for the classes, and just having troopers fighting a war, I don't know. It feels better to me.

And I am also a bit disappointed with the lack of starfighter combat, but, hey, that's what I bought X-wing for at gog, right?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I was sadly unimpressed. It was shiny, and played well, but I just didn't find it enjoyable. It made for a decent shooter, but felt more like a shooter with just a Star Wars skin on it. Ended up going and reinstalling Star Wars Battlefront 2 and playing that instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

How is the time to kill? The footage I saw looked like everything died pretty much instantly but the player lived long (though nobody was shooting at him).

No classes sounds sad, it was nice to have an expectation of what each enemy is capable of but now i'll need to look much harder at identifying weapons and not knowing what sidearm he's packing. I think what made the game less competative feeling was that like tf2 you choose a class for what you want to do at that moment and see how much you can get done. I don't like having to get hazed til weapons unlock.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    TIE fighters have missiles...
    TIEs had missiles in previous battlefront games...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    TIEs had missiles in previous battlefront games...
    I was upset then as well.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

9. - Top - End - #9

The game being a beta, I did have a few gripes about it. Mostly has to do with Walker Assault and mechanic balancing.

>Ion Torpedo and Ion Grenade are not in PvP
    I had the most frustration attacking AT-STs where I either had to get lucky with my Thermal Detonators, find a Smart Rocket, or sneak up on one and use the Ion Shot charge card. As a Rebel, flying an X-Wing or A-Wing meant I had to divide my time between air superiority and ground support, which can be fun at times, except when I have TIE Fighters on my engines and I'm trying to take down the AT-ST that my teammates are getting mowed down by trying to shoot the AT-ATs.

>Rebel spawns are bad
    In every stage, Rebels are spawned so far away from the uplinks, and it takes time to activate them, meaning the Stormtroopers are able to mount an offence before a proper defence can be enacted. In Stage 2, you can be spawned in Explosive Central inside the base, and at the first second you get spawned, you could get massacred by Vader or the sheer amount of Thermal Imploders. And in Stage 3, the one where Rebels are able to make a last stand with trenches? Useless because Stormtroopers can flank them from the height-advantaged mountains to the Rebels' right-hand side.

>All advantages are given to third-person camera
    This one, I think I might have the most problem with as a newcomer to Battlefront, which I realise is a third-person shooter, but people moving from Battlefield will be either disoriented trying to play TPS and Battlefront veterans or just people who know TPS is superior to FPS. Wider FOV, situational awareness, and oddly enough, zero twitch when firing.

I imagine the first issue will certainly be rectified by the start of the game, but if issues like these pop up in more maps and in more game modes, this may be an issue.

Bonus:
    >Season pass for expansion packs we know zero about
    I'm fine with downloadable content if I know what's going on in them; it's really not so bad if you know what you will get if you buy it or miss if you don't buy it. Going in blind buying a Season Pass at $50.00 for content we know nothing about, and comes in the 'dearly beloved' Ultimate Edition priced at $120.00 is me wasting possibly eight Steam/GOG games' worth of money, or better yet, go with the Battlefront veterans who state that old BF2 was superior, and I could buy that for ten people to have more content that those players know and love.
    If EA wants me to buy a Season Pass, I want to know what is confirmed in those expansion packs before I make any consideration of purchase.

[/rant]
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I think the engine and gameplay seems great, but I'm gonna die too much. First week of playing when I get it, I'm not going to have a single kill because people are gonna kill me too fast. Multiplayer is an awesome necessity, I know, but I would prefer a local/singleplayer option as well, for when I feel like curb stomping the entire Imperial army.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Barathos View Post
    I think the engine and gameplay seems great, but I'm gonna die too much. First week of playing when I get it, I'm not going to have a single kill because people are gonna kill me too fast. Multiplayer is an awesome necessity, I know, but I would prefer a local/singleplayer option as well, for when I feel like curb stomping the entire Imperial army.
    http://gamerant.com/star-wars-battle...single-player/
    http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/batt...tures/missions
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/18/845...layer-wont-use
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2427102/sta...iplayer-modes/

You can slay bots like a pro on the aeroplane or on the bus or if you need some map practice, no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.