New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Detect Invisibility: the stealthy latern?

Detect Invisibility detects invisible, ethereal, astral, and out-of-phase objects, as well as "hidden or concealed creatures (e.g., thieves in shadows, halflings in underbrush, and so on)." So inside a light-less cavern, could not all creatures present be considered "hidden in shadows"?

Granted, you couldn't see anything non-living (unless it was Invisible, ethereal, astral, or out-of-phase), so you're quite likely to stumble over a stalagmite or a crevasse, and you can only see in a path 10' wide that's 30' long per level. This should also let you see creatures "hidden" in the shadows beyond the reach of your torchlight.

Or am I totally over-interpreting the power of the spell?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Detect Invisibility: the stealthy latern?

I think you're over-estimating the power of the spell. "Hidden in shadows" is different from "can't be seen 'cause it's dark"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Put on a blindfold. Now you've hidden everything from view. See ALL the things!
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Put on a blindfold. Now you've hidden everything from view. See ALL the things!
    *snort*

*stifles laughter*

*fails, bwhahahahas*

But seriously, even with a blindfold, I would rule you could only detect hidden things; ie invisible creatures, thieves skulking about in alleys or traps. Kinda like Daredevil, you'd be able to spot ninjas, but you'd still step into water puddles. Though I wonder if you would detect mimics, cloakers, lurkers and slimes on the ceiling. Eh, probably not. Hiding in plain sight is still hiding right? I'm going to go crack up my 2ed PHB now.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If a player tried that in my game, I'd say, "That's a cute idea. But the intent of the spell is clear, and that isn't it. If you want to see in the dark, try infravision."