New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXI: Tap Target Keg

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    You do not know the true meaning of the phrase "mixed feelings" until you've had to drop out of a competitive REL sealed tournament with an amazing prize pool to keep the Goyf and foil Karn you just opened.
    Reminds me of a friend of mine who was playing in a sealed tournament, opened pack with both 'goyf and foil 'goyf in it, refused to pass the pack, walked, and was disallowed from ever going back there.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Reminds me of a friend of mine who was playing in a sealed tournament, opened pack with both 'goyf and foil 'goyf in it, refused to pass the pack, walked, and was disallowed from ever going back there.
    Honestly I'd do the same thing given such a jackpot.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, in a heartbeat. Would walk in a heartbeat.

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

How disallowed was he? Just banned form any more sealed or banned from the store itself?

Also, in this scenario, I would likely take the foil 'goyf and trade it for a bunch of stuff / auction it on the internet, buy a not foil 'goyf. I'm not entirely sure, however.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2015-07-09 at 10:07 AM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    How disallowed was he? Just banned form any more sealed or banned from the store itself?

Also, in this scenario, I would likely take the foil 'goyf and trade it for a bunch of stuff / auction it on the internet, buy a not foil 'goyf. I'm not entirely sure, however.
    Walking, in this case, means that you pick up the packs you have before passing them, withdrawing from the tournament, and keeping both the goyf and the foil Goyf. Would you honestly pass the regular Goyf? What could you possibly open or win that was better?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

He was straight up banned from ever going back to that store. I met him at the new place he went instead, and not even that store's owner blamed him one iota for doing it.

Well that's the last time I play commander against that deck until I get some serious money.
    T1:
    Me- Godless Shrine (taking shock), Serra Ascendant (feels pretty good about self)
    Them- Forest, Fastbond, Forest, Forest, Forest, Courser of Kruphix, Reveals Crucible of Worlds

T2:
    Me (worried)- Isolated Chapel, Grand Abolisher, Attack with Serra Ascendant
    Them- Wasteland (from top of deck), Scouting Trek, Forest x 26, Reveals Spawnsire of Ulamog, Crucible of Worlds, blows up both of my lands.

Me- Scoops
    Last edited by Svata; 2015-07-08 at 03:38 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    The foil is currently worth two non-foils. Used to be three.

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Would you honestly pass the regular Goyf? What could you possibly open or win that was better?
    Depends on whether you think you have a decent shot at winning a box and/or >$150 cash, obviously.

He was straight up banned from ever going back to that store.
    Wow, that's just idiotic on that store's part. Personally I sat around and watched the tournament until the side events started.

Well that's the last time I play commander against that deck until I get some serious money.
    T1:
    Me- Godless Shrine (taking shock), Serra Ascendant (feels pretty good about self)
    Them- Forest, Fastbond, Forest, Forest, Forest, Courser of Kruphix, Reveals Crucible of Worlds

T2:
    Me (worried)- Isolated Chapel, Grand Abolisher, Attack with Serra Ascendant
    Them- Wasteland (from top of deck), Scouting Trek, Forest x 26, Reveals Spawnsire of Ulamog, Crucible of Worlds, blows up both of my lands.

Me- Scoops
    And that's why Fastbond is banned in Commander.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes sense. Unlimited lands is terrifying.

9. - Top - End - #99

Anyone fancy playing 1v1 commander or vintage with me sometime?
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    Anyone fancy playing 1v1 commander or vintage with me sometime?
    Not me; I'd rather not deliberately meet in person an ettercap I talked to online, even if they are unusually human-looking and/or pretty compared to other ettercaps.

I don't think I'm being cladist; I wouldn't deliberately meet a human I saw online either.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Not me; I'd rather not deliberately meet in person an ettercap I talked to online, even if they are unusually human-looking and/or pretty compared to other ettercaps.

I don't think I'm being cladist; I wouldn't deliberately meet a human I saw online either.
    I have...no idea what you just called me, but call me it again and I will be readjusting your head with 6 foot of solid wood! :D
    She can swing from a web

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    I have...no idea what you just called me, but call me it again and I will be readjusting your head with 6 foot of solid wood! :D
    It means spider-person. I don't see what's wrong with comparing someone to what they are in both their avatar and their signature, but I guess I'll try to remember not to. No guarantees.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Walking, in this case, means that you pick up the packs you have before passing them, withdrawing from the tournament, and keeping both the goyf and the foil Goyf. Would you honestly pass the regular Goyf? What could you possibly open or win that was better?
    Reminds me that a few months back some guy got in trouble at a major tournament for taking a Goyf out of a pack, despite it being out of the colors he was playing, because 1G is SO HARD TO SPLASH for.

Of course this guy, while I understand why he did it, you got a Foil Goyf, in my mind anything after that would just be gravy and I already won, also the sheer "WTF" face the guy I pass the non foil Goyf to would have when I hand him a Goyf..would be worth 200 bucks!

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Reminds me that a few months back some guy got in trouble at a major tournament for taking a Goyf out of a pack, despite it being out of the colors he was playing, because 1G is SO HARD TO SPLASH for.

Of course this guy, while I understand why he did it, you got a Foil Goyf, in my mind anything after that would just be gravy and I already won, also the sheer "WTF" face the guy I pass the non foil Goyf to would have when I hand him a Goyf..would be worth 200 bucks!
    It ended up going for like 1.6 grand or was it 16... Either way a lot, with half going to charity.

And the issue was he "moneydrafted" instead of drafted properly at a competitive level. Which I think is fine, the value you get from the foil goyf would give you more shots at GPs.
    She can swing from a web

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

again, I call bullcrap that he "moneydrafted" because Goyf is easy to splash some green in for, heck even if he were not going to use it taking that thing to just keep it away from everyone else is a completely understandable thing.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    again, I call bullcrap that he "moneydrafted" because Goyf is easy to splash some green in for, heck even if he were not going to use it taking that thing to just keep it away from everyone else is a completely understandable thing.
    He said afterwards he was doing it for the money and he took it over Burst Lightning, which is an awesome card for the RW deck he was drafting. Tarmogoyf isn't actually that good in draft to the degree I almost cut it from my cube.
    Last edited by Lea Plath; 2015-07-09 at 09:02 AM.
    She can swing from a web

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

I went to a Origins prerelease. I went 3-1 with tribal elves. I picked green, and considered playing green/blue until I saw the tribal I got out of green/black. After all, elves were the reason I picked green. In my last game I got very elfy and very tribally, winning quickly with nothing but elves.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Trying my hands on Pauper (paper, semi-competitive). After some considerations I settled on a mono-black discard-delve strategy.

Here ist the list.

Main problems: there is NO plan against burn at all, and no sideboard in general.

Suggestions on card selection or card ratios?

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Trying my hands on Pauper (paper, semi-competitive). After some considerations I settled on a mono-black discard-delve strategy.

Here ist the list.

Main problems: there is NO plan against burn at all, and no sideboard in general.

I would personally be looking at something like Stinkweed Zombies with tweaks.

==

Anyway. Went to Origins Prerelease, I must admit recently stuff hasn't been going well for me in general so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might of, but I still pulled some good stuff and bought 2 intro packs to build casual decks from for my Battlechest. I pulled Erebos's Titan, Nissa, Chandra, Caves and some other value so not too bad there.

==

Another thing I'm building up is my games collection. My friend gave me a bunch of old L5R decks, I've supplemented them with new ones. Right now I'm trying to fill a cabinet with:

-Board games
    -My MTG Cube
    -10 Casual MTG decks, 1 of each 2 colour combo
    -All the duel decks
    -Deckbuilding games

==

And finally, I'm looking for people to playtest my game. Anyone interested?
    She can swing from a web

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post

Here ist the list.

Read the Bones might be better than Bigger Revelation, due to the lower cost and playing better with Dark Rit. Why Terror over Doomblade? Why no Funeral Charm? Essence Harvest might be good with Angler against the mono-burn plan, but not sure about speed. Otherwise, Pharika's Cure/Sorin's Thirst seems okay, at least, Spinning Darkness is somehow a common and, while it has countersynergy with Dredge, is pretty solid against burn, Syphon Life might not be a bad alternate wincon and helps vs burn, Raven's Crime is also decent to keep the discard train coming, and Vampiric Link on a Gurmag Angler seems pretty difficult for burn to deal with, but is a bit corner case.

Not sure about the meta you'll be facing, though, so general sideboard help is difficult. How's your Stompy MU? I hear Crypt Rats is good against them, and solid sideboard tech in general.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2015-07-12 at 03:13 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the suggestions
    I picked Bitter Revelation over Read the Bones because the former puts three cards into the graveyard which from the delve point of view pays almost for itself.
    Vampiric Links seems like a very nice sideboard card. I will look into your other suggestions.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

so, i just designed what may be the stupides deck i've seen. i mean, it works a little, but i don't know how.
    it's an EDH deck that runs all 63 planeswalkers, and a couple other cards, and somehow it just meshes together

i've only playtested it a few times. but at one point i was controlling nearly 20 'walkers on turn 10

Spoiler: simplistic deck list
    Show

Commander
    Progenitus (not like you'll ever cast it)

land
    1 of each ravnica shockland (10 total)
    4 swamps
    4 mountains
    4 islands
    4 forests
    4 plains

creatures
    kozilek, butcher of truth (never gonna cast that. it's just there to replenish your deck if you get low)
    (technically the magic:origins planeswalkers, but i'm not counting those here)

artifacts
    sol ring
    thran dynamo
    chromatic lantern

enchantments
    prismatic omen (goes nicely with koth and one of the lili's)

planeswalkers
    everyone released to date (63)

here's a link
    Last edited by Somensjev; 2015-07-12 at 03:47 PM.
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post
    so, i just designed what may be the stupides deck i've seen. i mean, it works a little, but i don't know how.
    it's an EDH deck that runs all 63 planeswalkers, and a couple other cards, and somehow it just meshes together

i've only playtested it a few times. but at one point i was controlling nearly 20 'walkers on turn 10

Spoiler: simplistic deck list
    Show

Commander
    Progenitus (not like you'll ever cast it)

land
    1 of each ravnica shockland (10 total)
    4 swamps
    4 mountains
    4 islands
    4 forests
    4 plains

creatures
    kozilek, butcher of truth (never gonna cast that. it's just there to replenish your deck if you get low)
    (technically the magic:origins planeswalkers, but i'm not counting those here)

artifacts
    sol ring
    thran dynamo
    chromatic lantern

enchantments
    prismatic omen (goes nicely with koth and one of the lili's)

planeswalkers
    everyone released to date (63)

here's a link
    Now if only there were a five-color 'walker with "This can be a commander."
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Now if only there were a five-color 'walker with "This can be a commander."
    Ugin, The Blind Eternal - (7)
    Planeswalker - Ugin

Ugin is all colors and can be your commander.

<+1> Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
    <-X> You may play a spell with converted mana cost X without paying its cost. (This includes additional costs)
    <-14> You get an emblem with "Discard a card: add mana to your mana pool equal to the converted mana cost of the discarded card" and "(X): deal X damage to all creatures and all players."

Yes, it's broken as hell, why do you ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

i made the deck worse/better
    i took out the mana rocks, and threw in the chain veil, contagion engine, and doubling season
    and while i was playtesting, i accidentally went infinite on turn 8 (i'm pretty sure at least, unless i've made a reading fail somewhere)

Spoiler: infinite mana/planeswaker abilities
    Show

requirements
    xenagos, the reveller
    ral zarek
    the chain veil
    at least 5 creatures
    preferably at least one more planeswalker (recomend ugin, for maximum potential)

method
    +1 xenagos for (at least) 5 mana, in any combination of red/green
    +1 ral, tap/untap random things
    + or - other planeswalkers
    pay 4 mana, and activate the chain veil

+1 xenagos for(at least) 5 mana, in any combination of red/green
    +1 ral, tap random thing/ untap the chain veil
    + or - other planeswalkers
    pay 4 mana, and re-activate the chain veil

ad infinitum

extended signature

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

How were people's prereleases? Came 4th at mine with a RW deck. Probably could have got 2nd if I didn't agree to ID the last game. I didn't really look at my pool in much depth, I basically opened my red seeded pack which was all playable stuff, my 1st actual pack had a celestial flare and an iroas's champion which made me basically only pay attention to red and white while opening my other packs.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Somensjev View Post
    i made the deck worse/better
    i took out the mana rocks, and threw in the chain veil, contagion engine, and doubling season
    and while i was playtesting, i accidentally went infinite on turn 8 (i'm pretty sure at least, unless i've made a reading fail somewhere)

{snip}
    Doesn't the wording of Chain Veil technically prevent it from working more than once? It's modifying rules text, so multiple instances of "you can do this once" shouldn't stack.

Apparently Oracle disagrees with me though.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Had fun at my Origins prerelease. Got a pretty unexciting pool, but with a lot of big Green/White bombs (Phalanx and Sentinel in White, Gaea's Revenge, the big Skysnare Spider, and two somberwald alphas in Green) so decided to just build a reasonable midrange GW deck.

Won my first match on the back of Phalanx (4 surprise 2/2's is great when your opponent is at 8 life and just swung in with all their creatures and tapped out). Lost my second match to mana screw (back to back mulligans to 5 to get more than 1 land in starting hand. First game never drew another, ended the game on 2 lands, second game ended up seeing 3 lands total). Lost my third match to the same problem (after going back over my deck and counting to make sure I actually had 17 lands in the deck). Won my fourth match by just running my UB opponent out of removal. 'Wolf, kill it, wolf, kill it, sentinel, kill it, skysnare...out of answers).

Overall was still fun, and I enjoyed the decks I played against (so many GW decks there) but was a little disappointing to lose 2 matches in a row to mana screw. I really hope they do end up adopting some form of new mulligan rule after their test run, even just being able to ship 1 non-land to the bottom in those games may have helped make them more interactive.

Somberwald Alpha ended up my MVP surprisingly. It ruined blocks for my opponents every time it came down and just casually tapping 2 to give something trample is as powerful as ever. Had both in play in one game, just blanks anything with 2 toughness on their side ('I block with grizzly', 'my creature gets +2 power, I give it trample, basically ignore the grizzly')

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Doesn't the wording of Chain Veil technically prevent it from working more than once? It's modifying rules text, so multiple instances of "you can do this once" shouldn't stack.

Apparently Oracle disagrees with me though.
    i actually thought that too, but gatherer disagreed with me, so i was kinda shocked

extended signature

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I picked white at my pre-release and went 6-0 with a GW deck. My rares were Archangel of Tithes, Outland Colossus, Relic Seeker, Nissa's Revelation and Hixus, Prison Warden. Also had the 6/6 vigilance, reach spider. No removals though. Just 17 creatures, combat tricks and one aura.