New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXI: Tap Target Keg

I design a LOT of Commander decks, mainly in my effort to complete my Prismatic Project (one deck of every possible Commander color combination; in combination with my brother), but I'm stuck on interesting ideas for the Sultai deck. I'm trying to come up with an interesting theme, but I'm not really finding anything I want to do. I'm not a big fan of "just jam a bunch of good cards into a deck," but I can't think of a theme I really want to do. I kinda want to do something less obvious and more creative. Anyone have any suggestions?

For those who are curious, my current list in the spoiler:
    Spoiler: tgva's Commander decks
    Show
    White: Darien, King of Kjeldor - Suicide Tokens
    Blue: Thassa, God of the Sea - Giant Sea Monster Tribal
    Black: Phage the Untouchable - Build-Around "Voltron"
    Green: Reki, the History of Kamigawa - Mono-Green Control
    W/U: Isperia the Inscrutable - Random Fliers (79 base cards, including no fliers, plus 20 fliers randomly drawn from a stack of fun fliers)
    U/B: Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker - Mill (Used to be called the Szadeck)
    B/R: Rakdos, Lord of Riots - Using Flame Rift as the Best Ritual Ever/Casting free Eldrazi
    R/G: Thromok the Instatiable - Tokens/Sacrifice and really really large Thromok
    G/W: Chorus of the Conclave - Hatebears
    W/B: Obzedat, Ghost Council - Lifegain
    U/R: Nin, the Pain Artist - Politico
    U/R: Melek, Izzet Paragon - Giant Spells (I have two UR decks because I love Nin)
    B/G: Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Voltron
    R/W: Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Forcing Attacks and Punishing for them
    G/U: Vorel of the Hull Clade - A bajillion counters
    Bant: Roon of the Hidden Realm - Inoffensive Blink
    Jund: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - Haste Theme Deck
    Naya: Marath, Will of the Wild - Lands and Counters
    Jeskai: Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest - Prowess Theme Deck
    Mardu: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls - Creatureless Control
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-07-14 at 05:53 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

What about colour messing? Have a deck focused around changing the colours of cards in combination with stuff like the guild champions etc.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, that's interesting. I can certainly see the Blue and some of the Black in there, but I'm not sure how much including Green does. I can only think of one Green card that contributes in particular, though I could play some that manipulate colors and such. I am excited by the idea of manipulating land types and related cards with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Color Spray.

4. - Top - End - #124

Green likes green. Mormir Vig and the new bellower seem good cards. Add in Loam/the retrace colour change etc
    She can swing from a web

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Doesn't the wording of Chain Veil technically prevent it from working more than once? It's modifying rules text, so multiple instances of "you can do this once" shouldn't stack.
    It's not modifying rule text though. It's granting you permission to perform an action this turn that you normally would not be able to perform. It sets up permission for you to, once this turn, per planeswalker, activate one loyalty ability as though none had been activated.

You have, by default, permission to activate a planeswalker ability at sorcery speed as long as none have been activated this turn (306.5d).

Chain Veil gives you permission to activate a planeswalker ability at normal speed once as though none had been activated.

Think of it like getting extra land drops. The rules say you can do it once on your turn, the card says you can do it an additional time. If you get multiple instances of 'you can do this an additional time this turn' they stack without issue.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    It's not modifying rule text though. It's granting you permission to perform an action this turn that you normally would not be able to perform. It sets up permission for you to, once this turn, per planeswalker, activate one loyalty ability as though none had been activated.

You have, by default, permission to activate a planeswalker ability at sorcery speed as long as none have been activated this turn (306.5d).

Chain Veil gives you permission to activate a planeswalker ability at normal speed once as though none had been activated.

Think of it like getting extra land drops. The rules say you can do it once on your turn, the card says you can do it an additional time. If you get multiple instances of 'you can do this an additional time this turn' they stack without issue.
    If it said "you can do this an additional time this turn", I'd agree with you. Instead, though, it says "you can do this once (as if you hadn't before)". It's the "once" that's giving me trouble here.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

7. - Top - End - #127

If it said "you can do this an additional time this turn", I'd agree with you. Instead, though, it says "you can do this once (as if you hadn't before)". It's the "once" that's giving me trouble here.
    The once is odd, yes. It should be cut completely, since it doesn't actually change the effect.

Every instance of the ability is read as a separate instance:

"For each planeswalker you control, you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn."

So every time we effectively reset the use of loyalty abilities (which would be default include activates from Chain Veil itself, and then, for every Planeswalker we control, we may use one ability once.

We then untap, use the ability again, and we may repeat the process "as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn," which bypasses any turn-wide single-use that any effect may have applied.

EDIT: Actually, check that. The "once" is important, as otherwise the effect could be interpreted as going infinite. The clause "you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn" might be able to be taken as "no matter how many times I activate this one ability, I treat is as having not been activated this turn," which the addition of "once" prevents.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2015-07-14 at 11:15 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    The once is odd, yes. It should be cut completely, since it doesn't actually change the effect.

Every instance of the ability is read as a separate instance:

"For each planeswalker you control, you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn."

So every time we effectively reset the use of loyalty abilities (which would be default include activates from Chain Veil itself, and then, for every Planeswalker we control, we may use one ability once.

We then untap, use the ability again, and we may repeat the process "as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn," which bypasses any turn-wide single-use that any effect may have applied.

EDIT: Actually, check that. The "once" is important, as otherwise the effect could be interpreted as going infinite. The clause "you may activate one of its loyalty abilities once this turn as though none of its loyalty abilities have been activated this turn" might be able to be taken as "no matter how many times I activate this one ability, I treat is as having not been activated this turn," which the addition of "once" prevents.
    So...... each activation of Chain Veil effectively resets the counter to zero? Meaning, if you activated Chain Veil twice in a row without activating a Planeswalker in between, you could only activate that Planeswalker once more instead of twice?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The 'once' is just there to note that you may only do it once per activation. For every instance of the chain veil resolving you get a separate permission slip to activate your planeswalkers once. You can cash in as many permission slips as you can get during your turn though, as each one (each instance of the ability resolving) is separate.

Maybe this will help. Each time the ability of the chain veil resolves you can imaging you receive a little permission slip that says 'Once during this turn, I may use one loyalty ability, per planeswalker I control, ignoring the normal rule restriction that prevents me from using multiple loyalty abilities per permanent (but not ignoring the timing restrictions or any other rules governing ability activation).'

It's important to remember that abilities are separate from the object that creates them. The moment the chain veil ability is put on the stack it isn't attached in any way, shape, or form to the veil that created it. You can sac it, blow it up, flicker, bounce, whatever it and you still have the extra planeswalker use until end of turn if the ability resolves. Creating a dozen separate abilities that let you activate a loyalty ability (once during your turn, ignoring restrictions on activating multiple loyalty abilities in a turn) means you can use the abilities a dozen extra times.

So...... each activation of Chain Veil effectively resets the counter to zero? Meaning, if you activated Chain Veil twice in a row without activating a Planeswalker in between, you could only activate that Planeswalker once more instead of twice?
    No. There is no counter. Nothing in the game counts the number of activations of loyalty abilities in a turn. The rules state that, by default, you can only use a loyalty ability if that permanent has not used a loyalty ability so far this turn. Have you used a loyalty ability of this permanent this turn, binary yes/no?

Chain veil doesn't give you permission to do it one more time, after the first. It gives you permission to do it once with fewer restrictions than the rules normally have. The permission given by the Chain Veil is broader than the normal rules permission but it does not overwrite or replace that permission.

You have permission (once the chain veil ability resolves) to activate the loyalty abilities of your permanents once when the stack is clear on your turn and the permanent hasn't used any loyalty abilities (306.5d), and once when the stack is clear on your turn regardless of whether it has used any loyalty abilities or not (chain veil). Adding more permissions just adds more of that second type to the list.

To give an example, if I untap, use the chain veil three times, then go to activate my planeswalkers (at sorcery speed), for each one I have the following options:
    1. Use rule 306.5d's default permission to activate one loyalty ability of this permanent. I have not yet activated any abilities this turn, so the rules will let me do this.
    2. Use the Chain Veil's first activation permission slip which says I may use a loyalty ability of this permanent as though I hadn't used any this turn.
    3. Use the Chain Veil's second activation permission slip which says I may use a loyalty ability of this permanent as though I hadn't used any this turn.
    4. Use the Chain Veil's third activation permission slip which says I may use a loyalty ability of this permanent as though I hadn't used any this turn.

After my first activation of a loyalty ability I can no longer used the first option (which is why it's generally assumed to be the default first loyalty ability usage) but I can still use 2-4. If I use #2's permission I still have 3 and 4 until I use them.
    Last edited by Binks; 2015-07-14 at 12:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    Green likes green. Mormir Vig and the new bellower seem good cards. Add in Loam/the retrace colour change etc
    The problem is that it's very hard to manipulate the color of cards that are in my library or hand, so Momir Vig will be harder to artificially trigger although not impossible. I don't think the new Bellower also can be manipulated, because there's no time between when it triggers and when I can alter the color word in its ability.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

This is where it would be nice if Painter's Servant weren't banned. :P

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

On one hand it would be, on the other hand there's too many different cards that would make it really annoying to have available. Better to ban it than allow it and ban all the cards that make it awful, especially when only one of them is a card anyone plays in Commander without it.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, I just think there are neat interactions that can exist with it. There's very little unfair that can be done with it that can't already be done some other way. There's also the argument that anyone who would use the servant to grief isn't suddenly going to not be a griefer just because the card is banned.

The point is moot since it's banned and not coming off, I just think there are plenty of fair neat interactions that can be used with it.

14. - Top - End - #134

Srsly. Unban Painter's Servant. Ban Grindstone and Iona. Cards are unfun, yo.

And you simply change Vig so whenever you cast, lets say a green spell, you tutor and draw. You can also add in some land denial elements by messing with the colours they tap for.
    She can swing from a web

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    Srsly. Unban Painter's Servant. Ban Grindstone and Iona. Cards are unfun, yo.
    Grindstone doesn't do anything with servant that can't be done already with helm. The only advantage it has is being usable in colorless decks.

Iona shouldn't be banned because of servant or as a swap ban, she should be banned on her own merits. The thing is, at least one member of the RC wants her to stay in because "mono color decks need a weakness"

And there are similar locks to Iona anyway. I don't know what the big deal about Iona-lock is when there are several other brutal locks available, or instant win combos. It's basically just an instant win combo.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    The thing is, at least one member of the RC wants her to stay in because "mono color decks need a weakness"
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #137

Grindstone doesn't do anything with servant that can't be done already with helm. The only advantage it has is being usable in colorless decks.

Iona shouldn't be banned because of servant or as a swap ban, she should be banned on her own merits. The thing is, at least one member of the RC wants her to stay in because "mono color decks need a weakness"

And there are similar locks to Iona anyway. I don't know what the big deal about Iona-lock is when there are several other brutal locks available, or instant win combos. It's basically just an instant win combo.
    Painter+Grindstone is a cheap combo that can go into deck though. Helm is also 4 mana and requires a 2 or 4 mana enchantment that hurts you generally.

Iona is just unfun. Mono decks weakness is they lose splashes and can't deal with stuff effectively. Red cannot kill enchantments. Black cannot kill artifacts or enchantments. White cannot touch the hand. Blue can only bounce and counter. Green doesn't really interact with stack etc. Iona is just unfun.

@SITH: YES :D
    Last edited by Lea Plath; 2015-07-15 at 05:31 AM.
    She can swing from a web

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Black can deal with artifacts, but it requires old cards that aren't very good.

Anyway, that's not my argument. I am fine with Iona being banned, assuming it's on her own merits. Banming 2 cards specifically to unban 1 is a terrible idea though, just on principle. In this case, I doubt anyone would miss them, but in general, ban 2 to unban 1 is bad.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2015-07-15 at 06:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think any of the interesting things that you can do with Painter's Servant are worth allowing it to be legal. While I'm sure Wizards pays some attention, chances are high that eventually they'll print something else that makes Painter's Servant some sort of ridiculously broken engine. At the end of the day, Painter's Servant is the card that makes the really broken and unfun things happen, and banning it so those things don't happen seems like a fine call.

There are many different colorless answers to creatures, a large number of which are commonly played in mono-color decks, so while Iona is really really bad for mono-color decks, she's not the most unbeatable. I'm not a fan of Iona and I don't play her a lot, but given some of the things that are allowed in Commander it doesn't seem unreasonable for her to be allowed. It's like Wake of Destruction; sometimes people deserve it, but you should only bust it out if that's the sort of game the table wants to play.

I probably won't play Momir Vig in particular mostly since he requires me to play creatures that I want to cast and then search for more creatures, and I really just don't want to search my deck that much. But I'll probably mess around with this idea, as it's pretty interesting and I have been looking for a good excuse to play Glamerdye and similar cards. Changing color words is actually super hilarious. Now I just have to figure out some good green spells to play in this deck; most of the ideas I have involve only black and blue cards. Turns out changing colors with the Paladins is really great. By the way, you haven't lived until you've changed a Cabal Coffers from a massive mana production source to a land that taps for 0 mana.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Should also be noted that Origins just printed another grindstone effect (Sphinx's Tutelage) so unbanning Painter's Servant means at least 2 bans (I'm not familiar with what card 'helm' refers to, but sounds like it would have to be banned as well, so that would make 3 bans to unban 1 card).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Should also be noted that Origins just printed another grindstone effect (Sphinx's Tutelage) so unbanning Painter's Servant means at least 2 bans (I'm not familiar with what card 'helm' refers to, but sounds like it would have to be banned as well, so that would make 3 bans to unban 1 card).
    Reread Sphinx's Tutelage. It can only mill out someone who is playing Oops, All Spells! with Painter's Servant.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Reread Sphinx's Tutelage. It can only mill out someone who is playing Oops, All Spells! with Painter's Servant.
    Oh. I had not seen the non-land clause on that card. You are correct, my bad.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Helm of Obedience is this card.
    http://magiccards.info/ai/en/163.html

Basically, this is why the new wording on mill effects is "reveal cards from the top of your library." With helm of obedience, you get an effect out like leyline of the void, or rest in peace. Because the effect specifies put into the graveyard, and the enchantments make it so no cards hit the graveyard, it exiles their entire deck.

This is a currently legal combo. Painter+Grindstone does something similar, but faster. Not sure how it interacts with eldrazi titans, and too tired to check.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a currently legal combo. Painter+Grindstone does something similar, but faster. Not sure how it interacts with eldrazi titans, and too tired to check.
    Helm combo or grindstone?

Helm:
    The titan is exiled instead of put into the graveyard, therefore it's ability never triggers.

Grindstone:
    I think grindstone finishes resolving, putting the entire deck in the yard, then the eldrazi triggers and shuffles itself back inside. They would die if they draw a card in response to that.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Helm of Obedience is this card...
    Ah. I had looked up helm cards in magic and figured that was it, but couldn't see what the problem was. Didn't read it too closely. Interesting.

Grindstone/Eldrazi - Eldrazi trigger can't be put on the stack until Grindstone finishes resolving. With painter's servant out this means the entire deck will be milled by Grindstone, then the Eldrazi trigger is put on the stack and the library is shuffled back up.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

so I can say with all confidence that White Wheenie is a deck now in standard.

Spoiler
    Show

3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
    3 Archangel of Tithes
    4 Consul's Lieutenant
    4 Anointer of Champions
    4 Knight of the White Orchid
    3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros//Gideon, Battleforged

4 Valorous Stance
    3 Swift Reckoning
    3 Center Soul
    4 Raise the Alarm
    2 Secure the Wastes

4 Knight of the White Orchid
    3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros

18 Plains
    2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Sideboard
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    4 Celestial Flare
    3 War Horn
    4 Radiant Purge

definitely need to cut something for another archangel, and sideboard will probably needs work, but it's been testing well.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Using Zur the Enchanter, I search my deck and retrieve a Flitterstep Eidolon. Can it be put directly into play only as a creature, or can I enchant Zur with it, making him unblockable?

I contend that since CMC specifically looks at the casting cost, not alternates, I'm fine to Bestow the Flitterstep Eidolon on him for free. Other players... disagreed with me.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Using Zur the Enchanter, I search my deck and retrieve a Flitterstep Eidolon. Can it be put directly into play only as a creature, or can I enchant Zur with it, making him unblockable?

I contend that since CMC specifically looks at the casting cost, not alternates, I'm fine to Bestow the Flitterstep Eidolon on him for free. Other players... disagreed with me.
    You can only put it on the battlefield. Flitterstep Eidolon is not an Aura unless it is cast with bestow, and only then until the attached creature dies. As it's not an Aura, and as Zur doesn't force it to enchant a creature, it cannot be attached.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

If something is put into play (for example with unearth), does it use the stack?
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    If something is put into play (for example with unearth), does it use the stack?
    The ability is on the stack. The creature is never on the stack.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature