New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXI: Tap Target Keg

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    My first suggestion is to put in every other version of Chandra as well just for funsies.
    Chandra, Pyromaster is almost good enough that I'd just consider doing it. The others I don't think are good enough to be worth playing given that I'm planning to have my commander in play a lot. But I might end up playing some of them anyways, because having lots of planeswalkers in my deck designed to use a planeswalker might just be a good idea anyways. At least most of them can just be used for useful effects.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Have a Modern Bant deck that wants 3 more Noble Hierarchs.
    I looked but I'm out of Birds if Paradise too.
    What's the third tier choice for Bant mana dorks?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

That depends. What cards are you trying to cast on 3 mana, and what does your mana base look like?

My immediate answer is Avacyn's Pilgrim, assuming that you want a source of white to go with your green source to help you cast Loxodon Smiter or Knight of the Reliquary. If you're trying to cast Geist of St. Traft, then you really don't have many better options than Birds or Hierarch. If you're trying to cast a 2 and have an attacker (or Path to Exile mana) then Avacyn's Pilgrim also probably does the job. But it does depend on what other cards you're playing.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-08-07 at 05:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    That depends. What cards are you trying to cast on 3 mana, and what does your mana base look like?

My immediate answer is Avacyn's Pilgrim, assuming that you want a source of white to go with your green source to help you cast Loxodon Smiter or Knight of the Reliquary. If you're trying to cast Geist of St. Traft, then you really don't have many better options than Birds or Hierarch. If you're trying to cast a 2 and have an attacker (or Path to Exile mana) then Avacyn's Pilgrim also probably does the job. But it does depend on what other cards you're playing.
    It's a Legendary good stuff deck inspired by Sisay EDH. Random good modern legendaries and some legendary support Cards are all it's running at the moment.

Honestly I also need some advece as to the most versatile removal to add to it too.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: The End is Nigh
    Show

Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

We can make it through this horrible tragedy.

Especially with full art lands to support us. Soon it will be time to squander my life savings on packs just for the basic lands.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

As cool as enemy fetches are, we have the Onslaught fetches in Standard. It would have been unrealistic to expect them to give us 5 more in Standard.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    We can make it through this horrible tragedy.

Especially with full art lands to support us. Soon it will be time to squander my life savings on packs just for the basic lands.
    Fat Packs should come with a bundle of full arts so you don't need to buy just packs to get them.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Fat Packs should come with a bundle of full arts so you don't need to buy just packs to get them.
    I'm probably going to buy a few fat packs just for the lands.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

I will likely do the same.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

As cool as enemy fetches are, we have the Onslaught fetches in Standard. It would have been unrealistic to expect them to give us 5 more in Standard.
    We had all ten shocks in standard, in the same set at that. Along with all the buddy lands. I don't see how ten fetches is unreasonable.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

How much would it cost to print out a cube? I ask because I want to use cards that are kind of expensive, and being able to play with strangers means I can use worthless pieces of paper over pennycards so no one is motivated to steal anything.

13. - Top - End - #253

Zendikar fat packs did not come with full art lands. They were the source of the few Zendikar lands that are not full art.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    How much would it cost to print out a cube? I ask because I want to use cards that are kind of expensive, and being able to play with strangers means I can use worthless pieces of paper over pennycards so no one is motivated to steal anything.
    I heard somebody who made a fantasy cube say that it cost him about 0.1 $ per card, that included the price for sleeves. I imagine it is about that price so you would be looking at 36+$. It's probably not precise but it gives you an idea.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Zendikar fat packs did not come with full art lands. They were the source of the few Zendikar lands that are not full art.
    The product description on the website (and most websites selling fat packs) says they do. The intro packs, on the other hand, had normal lands.

Peelee’s Lotsey

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    The product description on the website (and most websites selling fat packs) says they do. The intro packs, on the other hand, had normal lands.
    Ah. My mistake then.

I now predict that BFZ fat packs will sell like hot cakes.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Buying 3 myself. And who knows, there's 2 more sets in the new zendikar block, we might get fetches in one of those.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Buying 3 myself. And who knows, there's 2 more sets in the new zendikar block, we might get fetches in one of those.
    1* They changed it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #259
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

I was considering starting a separate thread for this, but this is a Magic-related topic. How would Magic change if the mechanics were the same, but the Color system wasn't? As in, instead of using WUBRG as mana types (ignoring the exotic ones for now), they had something like the Chinese Element System (Fire, Water, Air, Wood, Metal), or even just Red, Yellow and Blue? Also, what would be some ideas for an alternative setup (not necessarily 5 "colors")?
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    I was considering starting a separate thread for this, but this is a Magic-related topic. How would Magic change if the mechanics were the same, but the Color system wasn't? As in, instead of using WUBRG as mana types (ignoring the exotic ones for now), they had something like the Chinese Element System (Fire, Water, Air, Wood, Metal), or even just Red, Yellow and Blue? Also, what would be some ideas for an alternative setup (not necessarily 5 "colors")?
    That's... an extremely broad question. I'll try to answer it anyway.

The game wouldn't be any different if you just re-named WUBRG as "Fire, Water, Air, Wood, Metal". FWAOM could do basically what WUBRG does, with some different art, although some might make or or less sense than before. I like Loryn, so I'll cite "Kithkin, Merfolk, Boggart, Cinder, Treefolk" as a way to parse down the original colours differently without necessarily changing the dynamic. One could call all white card "Kithkin" cards, and, barring art and card names, the game could stay basically the same.

Shifting what's sorted where on the colour pie is a bit more interesting. What if "trample" was a white trait while "vigilence" was green? If "haste" was black and "deathtouch" was red? A number of interesting things are possible here, but there's too many possibilities to go through them all. First Strike and Deathtouch probably shouldn't be on the same part of the wheel. Same with "Double Strike" and "Trample", and "Hexproof" and "Indestructible". There's a reason "Flying" goes with W/U/B and "Reach" goes with R/G, too - leaving a color without either would be bad, and you need Flying to be common for Reach to have any value whereas the reverse is not true.

There's a lot of damage to the game that could be done by reassigning color associations incautiously. There's probably a lot more that's value-neutral, and in certain formats or sets it might even be beneficial if there's some defect or other. That's probably rare though.

As for more or fewer colours... more could be interesting but complexity increases factorially for diminishing returns. Too little complexity and you've got rock-paper-scissors. Too much, and either distinctions get blurred to incoherence, or the colors become incredibly specific archetypes. Imagine if every Red deck was aggro, every Blue was control, every Black was dredge, every Purple was land-denial, every Brown was midrange.... would deckbuilding be more interesting or less?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    We had all ten shocks in standard, in the same set at that. Along with all the buddy lands. I don't see how ten fetches is unreasonable.
    I didn't say unreasonable, I said unrealistic.

To be fair, we had all ten shocks in Standard because that set was a multicolor set and multicolor standard is unplayable without mana bases to support it. We don't need the enemy fetches because we have the enemy pain lands to go with the taplands we already have.

Wizards doesn't really like shuffling that much, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd limit the amount of fetchlands in Standard. Having several decks that shuffle every turn for the first 3 turns doesn't sound like what Wizards wants for Standard.

Actually, there's only 1 more set in the new Battle for Zendikar block. 2 set blocks now, so we get a little less time with each plane.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-08-09 at 01:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Shifting what's sorted where on the colour pie is a bit more interesting. What if "trample" was a white trait while "vigilence" was green? If "haste" was black and "deathtouch" was red? A number of interesting things are possible here, but there's too many possibilities to go through them all. First Strike and Deathtouch probably shouldn't be on the same part of the wheel. Same with "Double Strike" and "Trample", and "Hexproof" and "Indestructible". There's a reason "Flying" goes with W/U/B and "Reach" goes with R/G, too - leaving a color without either would be bad, and you need Flying to be common for Reach to have any value whereas the reverse is not true.
    Green has vigilance, black has haste.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Will full art lands (new ones) still cost more when they are in the current set? If so, fat packs of BFZ would cost more, so buying a lot would be expensive.

However, with the lands being the lands you get in packs, I would expect them to be at least a little cheaper. I might buy myself a fat pack. I haven't bought a fat pack in quite a while, since 10 packs is the same price.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, there's only 1 more set in the new Battle for Zendikar block. 2 set blocks now, so we get a little less time with each plane.
    Right, sorry, forgot. *grumbles* I think it'll make telling stories for each plane harder, but what do I know...

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Will full art lands (new ones) still cost more when they are in the current set? If so, fat packs of BFZ would cost more, so buying a lot would be expensive.

However, with the lands being the lands you get in packs, I would expect them to be at least a little cheaper. I might buy myself a fat pack. I haven't bought a fat pack in quite a while, since 10 packs is the same price.
    They'll probably be about 50¢, maybe an early spike when everyone is after them.

Am I a terrible persons for wanting to buy intro decks to get non full art lands?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, just a little odd.

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Green has vigilance, black has haste.
    I was wrong about black and haste, but is vigilance really considered an associated keyword of Green? I count only ten creatures ever printed that are mono-green and have vigilance as a static keyword, and maybe half that number that grant it in some form or other. I wouldn't be surprised if, proportionately, it was more common on colorless.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I was wrong about black and haste, but is vigilance really considered an associated keyword of Green? I count only ten creatures ever printed that are mono-green and have vigilance as a static keyword, and maybe half that number that grant it in some form or other. I wouldn't be surprised if, proportionately, it was more common on colorless.
    Vigilance is secondary in green
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    .......I guess?

Still proportionately more common on colorless creatures, though.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Right, sorry, forgot. *grumbles* I think it'll make telling stories for each plane harder, but what do I know...
    Actually, I think it will make it easier, because "it gets worse" isn't really a big story event, but that's often what happened in the second set story-wise. It's much better, in my opinion, to have one set that establishes the conflict and a second that creates a resolution. A set where we spend time watching things "get worse" isn't that interesting.