New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Serpent's Skull (IC II)

Verana puts up her palms up, beseechingly, and backs toward the vessel, "no, we're not cannibals. Do I look like one of those lunatics?" Her pearly white teeth are not sharpened to points and her eyes lack the sallow, maddened glare that Narak and his ilk possessed. "There are two others inside, Cordell and Pezock. Their ship wrecked here about two years ago. Not this one, but another wreck. The vessel I was aboard, the Everlight's Song wrecked off shore and I washed up close to here… though it was not true then, no others from that vessel still live," she says with a melancholy timbre in her voice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"You must have been good at hiding to escape K'Punde's notice," Orazio replies with a shrug.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Forgive our misgivings, Verana. We have met very few friends and many enemies since our ship went aground. Did you say it was two years for you? You must have some tricks to teach us, then..." The young Zenj looks at the blonde woman, impressed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

"Two years. I suppose you don't have any leads on a way off then. Just managed to keep yourself alive in a rotting vessel for two years. What do you want?" the deformed man asked bluntly. "What is your reason for approaching me? A large man with a big weapon, you'd think a small group of survivors would keep their distance a bit more. I might decide I like your little vessel and take it for myself. I won't. I consider myself civilized despite what certain people would say."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The blonde woman cracks a smile, "well, I would say that we've learned to keep our heads down. We mostly keep to this island. Nothing seems to come out here. There are plenty of fish for us to catch, and mushrooms grow on the hull. Pezock and Cordell venture out more than I do, but never far. In the earlier days, things were much rougher, especially before we found this place, but we've fallen into a pattern now." Verana turns to K'punde, nodding softly at his words, "you are correct; we know of no way off the island. I was hoping you might. Still, I am glad to hear you are civilized, as a large man with big weapon is certainly useful around here. To bee frank, I just had to take the chance you were friendly… it's just been too long."

She claps her hands together, and looks to the sun falling lower in the sky, "it will be dark before long. Why don't you come in for some fish stew? We've just made a fresh batch. Dare I say we've perfected the recipe as it's the what we've eaten for a very long time. We are a little short on bowls, but I think we can take turns."

7. - Top - End - #7

Something in this woman brings in Tok'sang a feeling he is not very familiar with - trust. Flashing a rare smile, bright teeth constrasting with his dark skin, he replies: "Fish stew sounds delicious. As does a chance of making new friends!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Orazio nods.

"We'd be happy to join you for the evening. We've been having a hard time of it ourselves since we crashed here a few days ago. We've been practically tearing up the island looking for a way off it."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #9

Daemon

K'punde stares at the woman, unblinking and unsmiling and when she's finished speaking the deformed warrior turns slightly to run his bloodshot eye over Orazio and Toksang as they speak.

"Hmph. Fair enough." He says in a harsh voice with a scoff and he drops the blade of his scythe to the ground with a thud. "Seeing as those other two seem willing. Of course if it is a trap I will show no mercy. It will be quite slow and painful." K'punde says as his scowling cleft palate shifts into a sadistic grin.
    Last edited by PeglegJim; 2015-05-14 at 10:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

“Then please come in, my new friends," Verena smiles and motions for the group to follow as she walks inside. The party enters into a dimly lit, open space, once a section of the hull, partitioned off into private areas by salvaged flotsam. A heavy oak table sits in the center of the main area with half a dozen chairs scattered around it.

Verena calls out loudly, "Cordell, Pezock, we have guests! Will the stew be much longer?" There is no reply. "Hmm, I'll go check on them, make yourselves comfortable,” Verena proclaims as she wanders toward the back of the ship.

Spoiler: Tok'sang
    Show
    When Verena passes by him, Tok’sang catches a whiff of a subtle foul aroma. Although it's masked by a strong perfume, he recognizes it as it is an all too familiar smell: the stench of undeath.

11. - Top - End - #11

As he enters the dining space first, Tok'sang stops a few paces after the entrance. He motions to his comrades with his extended arm, signalling caution.

"Shh. Don't do anything hostile, but something is off," he whispers, looking intently at K'punde first, then giving a glance at Mo'o. He turns back to the inviting room, trying to remember Verena's words and facial expressions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Mo'o react in any specific way?
    Sense Motive to belatedly reflect on Venrara's sincerity: (1d20+5)[21]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Show
    Mo'o noticed nothing, barring his general distaste for being indoors, he seems content.

To the best of Tok'sang's recollection, Verena seemed sincere in all of her interactions. Were it not for the brief whiff of that faint scent of decay and the grave that he has learned to associate with the undead over the past few days, he can recall nothing alarming in her interactions.

13. - Top - End - #13

Tok'sang silently turns back to his comrades, a finger on his lips requests silence, and an extended hand urges them to stay near the entrance, with a special sign towards Mo'o indicating this is valid for him, too.

He gets in, walks around the table, looking around, admiring the nice setup job from the salvaged materials.

He calls out in the direction of the back: "Sorry, Mistress Verena, I appreciate your invitation, I really do. Can't help but think you haven't told us everything, though."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+11)[13]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Well, of course I have not,” Verena announces with her return to the common area. “We only met a few minutes ago. Aside from K’punde, I don't even know your names yet. Come, sit, and let us rectify this deficiency of our relationship. Tell me your names and of how you came to the island." Verena sits in one of the chairs, crosses her legs under the ruddy brown robes, and smiles.

A 5 foot tall humanoid creature with a vague resemblance to a crow emerges into the common area in Verena’s wake. Though covered in feathers, the creature has no wings, but does possess a jet black bill and talons in place of hands and feet. He has a large sawtooth saber stuck through his rough cloth belt. He greets you, "I am Pezock. Honored to have you as guests this evening. So long it has been since I've seen a new friendly face. Stew will be ready soon." He retreats back to the kitchen.

"Excellent, now please, tell me of your arrival."

Show
    Tok'sang notices nothing else out of the ordinary.

15. - Top - End - #15

The young Zenj sighs as he takes one of the chairs and sits down.

"My name is Tok'sang, and most of us are survivors of the Jenivere, our ship ran aground a few days ago. Since then, we have mostly encountered hungry monsters and many violent creatures. And undead. Lots of undead.

This is why, Mistress Verena, and believe me, I regret being so blunt... I have to ask you: Why is it that my ears and eyes hear and see in you a friendly hostess, but my nose smells the stink of undeath about you?"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-16 at 06:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Orazio rolls his eyes a bit.

Oh gods, here we go again!" he mutters under his breath.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Her eyes widened in shock for a moment, “I’ve never…!” She stops herself, a moment passes before calmer demeanor returns. She takes a deep breath, "This island is maddening — we all know it. It affects us all in different ways. I shouldn't take affront at your caution. Whether it's the stench of the ocean I’m forced to bathe in or the draugr we killed underneath the ship two days ago, it doesn't really matter. It was mistake that I brought you here.” She stands up and motions back the way you entered. "I think it's for the best if we all forget that you ever came here. I wish you well, but I have to look out for my own. Please take your leave." She takes a few steps backwards, and waits for you to leave.

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

K'punde doesn't move a muscle. He just stands there like a wall of steel and bone. He looks angry, then...faintly amused. His tongue can be seen as he licks his teeth through his cleft palate. He flares his nostrils taking in a loud deep whiff of the place, trying to see if he could smell this 'undeath' the shaman was talking about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+3)[9]

K'punde scoffs.

Spoiler: Polyglot
    Show
    'Mistress' he calls her. Now she thinks she can command us to leave on a slight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: K'punde
    Show
    The smell of a spicy stew hangs over a more subtle smell of the ocean, salt and decay.

At K’punde’s words and body language, Verena bites her lower lip. Many long seconds pass before she says softly, "this is our home; not yours."

Pezock and a tall Garundi man emerge a few moments later carrying bowls and spoons, three each, laden with a thick brown stew of fish, mushrooms, seaweed, chiles, and herbs. They place the bowls on the table. Verena does not stop them. The Garundi man motions to himself, and then the food, "Cordell. Please, eat."

"I'm afraid that our guests were just leaving."

20. - Top - End - #20

Tok'sang turns his head towards K'punde, a pained, annoyed look on his face. "I don't know where in the Expanse you learned about hospitality. Know this: Yes, she can command us to leave, just as she was and remains free to invite us in her home. Or not."

He stands up from the chair, looking at Verena straight in her eyes. "I apologize. Unfortunately, I never learned to trust." He stops, mid-sentence. Or rather, I did, and then it was taken from me, at the hands of strangers.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-18 at 05:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"Look, we're sorry," Orazio interjects.

"We've been stuck here for days, and we've been fighting for our lives as we've crisscrossed this island. All of us are dealing with lots of stress, and we're all jumping at shadows. We didn't mean to insult you. Please forgive my companion's terse words. Three out of four shipwrecks we've examined have had undead lurking in them, and perhaps our paranoia got the better of us."

Diplomacy:
    (1d20+9)[29]

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

"Hospitality?" K'punde breaks out into a bitter laugh. "You know nothing about me or my life witch man. Not the faintest idea. Spare me your foolish presumptions. But I smell it on this place too...the smell of death." K'punde's armor makes a creak as he shrugs. He marches up to the exit turning his back.

"But there is enough disorder in this retched place so if these are the rules then fine. It is clear I have no place here. I will not set foot into this place...except to scavenge of course should the worst come to pass. Dead here will get no peace."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"No, I should apologize. A politely raised concern should not have had me react so harshly. Please forgive me." K’punde slams the door behind him, and she adds, "I'm sure he'll rejoin us in a bit."

Cordell sits down, and grabs one of the bowls, "if he won't, then I will. Please join me," and the Garundi man begins to eat. Verena encourages you to join with a sweeping gesture.

Sasha sits and pulls one of the bowls close to her. She eats a spoonful, and proclaims, "it's good, we should teach Gelik the recipe."

"So, it sounds like you’ve had a rough time here. I suppose that's a given; given the location. Settling on the ships is a wiser course in many ways, the thoughts of escape are traded for those of security. Have you had many run-ins with the cannibals?"

—————————————

K’punde steps out to face the majestic view of the beginning sunset painted in rich oranges, reds, and violets. He can still faintly hear the chatter within, most words are muted, but a handful resonate clearly enough for him to follow the discussions if he chooses.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Orazio nods.

"Thank you for your graciousness, Verena, and your hospitality," he says, shooting a dirty look at K'Punde's back as he's leaving.

He takes a seat and partakes of the stew.

"We've encountered a few exiles and stuff, not the vast tribe camped near the old lighthouse. Quite a few fierce animals and VERY strange monsters. Akata and such. I'm surprised those things haven't come sniffing around your hideout."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Verena nods knowingly, ”the fact that we are on this smaller island, insulates us from many of the island’s dangers. Most of what we have had to deal with are undead, and the occasional sea scorpion. I have not encountered these Akata... what are they?"

Spoiler: Orazio
    Show
    Orazio is about to partake in the stew, when he spots a piece of a small brown mushroom with crimson spots. He recognizes this immediately as bloodroot mushroom, which are toxic. About 10 minutes after ingestion, the consumer vomits for a while then feels ill for about an hour (i.e., onset 10 minutes; Fort DC 17; Nauseated 1d6 rounds; then Sickened for 1 hour). Although Sasha told him about this during her lecture, she clearly isn't paying much attention right now judging by the voracity with which she eats it.

Hooray nature check!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Orazio notices the mushroom and tries not to panic. It seems Tok'sang may have been on to something.

"Pardon me, but are those bloodroot mushrooms in this?" he asks, hopefully loud enough to get Sasha's attention.

"I thought those were toxic. Did you mistake it for some other kind? The stew's probably not safe to eat."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2015-05-19 at 02:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

There is nothing pleasant about dragging a goat down the coastline. The wretched beast digs its cloven hooves into every crevice it can reach, bleats incessantly, and kicks when the rope is yanked too hard for its liking. Which is to say, at all. It's not a very long rope either. Unfortunately. Caerwyn's never heard a goat cuss. Well, technically, he still hasn't. But if that goat could speak, it would probably be cussing.

And the less said about trying to get it into the water, the better.

It's not even that far, and barely shin-deep at that.

The half-elf is soaked up to the waist with salt water by the time he catches up with the others.

And K'punde is already leaving, some sort of door slamming behind him. How charming. Even so, it's not too hard to follow the conversation on the other side. Caerwyn glances at K'punde's rather sour expression. "Let me guess. One of our resident mages did something stupid?" It's a safe assumption, really. He cocks his head to listen to the conversation inside. The voices don't sound as familiar as he'd like. The lead is too short to do much with. The goat mouths at the hull experimentally. Now that it's on land, if not precisely dry land, it doesn't seem to keen to get back into the water. Small mercies. "Sounds more like jabbering in there than something breaking, so I'm guessing it's not Sasha that's got you all worked up. So spill. What is it, and does anything in there need stabbing? Most things on this island seem to."

28. - Top - End - #28

When Orazio defuses the situation, Tok'sang gladly lets him take the conversation over, relieved to find himself out of the spotlight and retreating to his inner thoughts.

Trusting these people is risky, but not ever trusting anybody is no better. A man like K'punde will never find peace... or in death, maybe.

Still, that smell was there...

The sombre thoughts don't make for the happiest of meals, so, the youg Zenj attempts to cheer himself up by trying the stew. He finds it tasty and filling, and enjoys few spoonfuls, only to stop when Orazio remarks about the mushroom. What?

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(nature) (1d20+10)[13]

29. - Top - End - #29

Daemon

The warrior stands there toying with his new weapon. It still felt strange to him but he would have practice. How much longer would he be here? Another week. Good enough. Much blood would be spilled. The words of the shaman angered him so he chose to walk when told to. Such treatment was hardly new to him after all. When the pointy eared one comes walking along the cost and asks his question K'punde scoffs. "Apeman has been saying many stupid things. The others say about the same number of stupid things they usually do. They met some people but when we said their hovel reeked of undeath--which it did, they said we should leave so I left. The way they acted....I don't think they will last long anyway but I said nothing. I'll keep this place in mind if we need to scavenge for supplies." K'punde shrugs. "If the walking dead are burried under that place and are clawing their way up as we speak or if these 'people' are really something else then yes, many things will need to be stabbed. And torn to pieces...then burned. "

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Verena looks puzzled, “… Bloodroot? I've never heard of those. These mushrooms grow on the hull of the ship. We've eaten them many times without issue. Perhaps you are mistaken? Many mushroom varieties look similar." Pezock leaves his place at Verena’s side and begins walking toward the door.

Gael holds up one of the mushrooms from the bowl he was eating from, a look of horror on his face. Although he's not an expert, Tok'sang is pretty sure the mushrooms match Sasha's earlier description. Sasha too draws one out and examines it closely. "Well, the good news is my poison training might pay off! The bad news is that we will have to wait about 10 minutes to see how well my lessons stuck!” She shrugs with amusement, then eats another spoonful, "really good stew by the way!"

---------

Outside the ship, K'punde and Caerwyn are serenaded by the bleating of the obstinate goat as they watch the sunset.