New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: A Tangled Web We Weave - Thread II (IC)

The Oracle raises a hand in acknowledgement. "Maidens guide you." He says nothing more, and his attention is clearly already turning away from Lotus. Behind him, the door swings open. Four minutes are up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing more here - we can leap to Creation.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Weaving Resplendencies Part Two

With his primary identity established, Lotus turns his attention towards the secondary and supporting roles he could use to most effectively pursue his mission. His essence is refined to the point where he can reliably support four resplendent destinies at once, and he intends to make full use of them.

The Captain occupies an unusual position in the study of astrology, often sitting between the House of Battles and of Journeys in the nighttime sky. It is that association that provides the inspiration for Scale-Lord Abraasi, a tough and weathered veteran from the Arjuf legions. He served his term on the frontline and then moved on to provide protection for merchant caravans in the Plains region. His will is one of iron and his skills have hardly degraded at all, and he has picked up enough knowledge of the tribal culture over the years to pass without causing offense - a valuable skill indeed.

The Treasure Trove has served him well in the past, and for such an important assignment he turns to it once again. It governs revealed wisdom and the search for enlightenment, and from such auspicious beginnings is born Pale Elm, a scholar with a civilized man's interest in the barbaric. Educated and well-respected in the society of the Realm, he has chosen the horse-tribes of the Jaen Ha to serve as the topic for his next work, and has come to study and catalogue their ritual practices and traditions for posterity. Well meaning but impractical, he might look somewhat out of place.

It seems fitting that his final identity be drawn from the House of Endings. The Rising Smoke holds dominion over all those who have finished walking a path, literal or metaphorical, and recent graduates from education certainly count. Singing Arrow is a young tribesman from a small and obscure family, one too minor to have many enemies or many friends. He hopes to exploit this to act as a neutral courier and outrider, making a name for himself among the larger tribes, and though skilled he is lacking in the hard edge that only experience can bring.

Hours roll by as Lotus sits in his library, compiling data and weaving the strands of fate around his own destiny. Star charts gleam with constellations picked out in silver thread, and the wine glass shines with reflected scarlet light as he pours his essence into the preparations. There is no such thing as being too prepared, and while he doubtless cannot predict everything that might happen, he is determined to have a strong foundation to fall back on if needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, three more resplendent destinies, ones from a very well rounded selection of constellations. With these I have identities from the Houses of Journeys, Battles, Secrets and Endings, which seems appropriately auspicious.

I'm not buying auspicious successes for any of these, since willpower is a much more valuable resource than motes. I will however buy four successes for each roll with the Second excellency and then lower the target number to four.

The Captain: [roll0] + 4 sux

The Treasure Trove: [roll1] +4 sux

The Rising Smoke: [roll2] +4 sux.

Other preparations part one

For a place that goes by the name of 'the Heavenly City', there are surprisingly few temples in Yu-Shan. Oh, buildings that reflect religious themes in their design are fairly common, but actual dedicated places of worship are rare. Perhaps this is not surprising, for familiarity breeds contempt and those few mortals who live here are surrounded by gods every day of their lives, while the spirits are rarely inclined to pay much in the way of homage to each other.

There are however exceptions, primarily among the Incarnae. The Maidens of Fate hold themselves at a distance, truly understood only by one another, and command power and insight beyond the imagination of even the majority of the gods. They evoke awe in even the most jaded, and Lotus is no exception. Built into his manse is a small room filled with minor shrines to all five of his ultimate superiors, and it is before them that he kneels now.

"My Lady Mercury, I stand at the threshold of a journey that will lead me across many miles and to an uncertain destination. I ask that you watch over me and guide my steps." He says in a quiet voice, head bowed to the first shrine. It takes the form of a lantern, such as one might find lining the edges of a road or adorning the entrance to an inn for wary travelers, and wrapped around the base is a strip of yellow cloth.

"My Lady Venus, I go to bring unity to a people long divided, that they might prosper together rather than fall apart. Bless my words with the skill to see such a thing done." He says to the second shrine, a pale blue bowl filled with still water.

"My Lady Mars... war is coming, war between the Exalted. Grant me the strength to endure, the will to persevere and the skill to see the path to victory." The shrine to his own patron is bronze shield hung upon the wall, marred with old dents yet still intact, humble yet resolute.

"My Lady Jupiter, I feel like a blind man before the maze, able to do little more than press forwards and trust to hope. Help me clear my vision and perceive the truth of things, that I might better understand." The shrine to the Maiden of Secrets is perhaps the most appropriate, for it is a scroll bound tightly with Emerald thread and sealed with wax, never opened.

"Finally, my Lady Saturn, lend me the wisdom of your judgement. I expect to face many problems, many lingering hatreds and old grudges that will prevent the tribes from unifying. Help me bring a proper End to them, so that the new nation can truly begin." He says to a simple slab of pale stone, as might be found marking the grave of some unknown individual in any number of forgotten fields throughout Creation.

With his prayers complete, Lotus rises to his feet. He looks over the shrines, symbolic representations of the mighty deities that stand both so close and so far from where he stands, and smiles faintly. "I am a servant of Fate, an agent of Destiny and a Sidereal Exalted. I have all I need to see this mission through. I do not ask for your blessings to do what is otherwise impossible, merely to smooth what might be an uneven road." His faint smile morphs into a full scale grin. "But hey, if you feel like breaking out a divine miracle or two anyway, I certainly won't say no."

With that, he bows respectfully, then turns and leaves the room. It is almost time to be underway...

Spoiler
    Show
    So, this is me using Faultless Ceremony to bless a ritual aimed at accomplishing a certain goal - namely, uniting the horse tribes of the Jaen Ha and turning them against the rebels. I automatically succeed any required rolls, gain the benefits of having a secondary motivation towards this goal, and may also receive any number of exceptionally minor but useful supporting effects as well at the discretion of the ST.

This might also work as training for an Investigation charm - Auspicious Prospects, to be precise. I already have Secrets, so picking up any of the others would be useful, preferably Battles or Serenity.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is there a whisper in the air? Something so faint that it might as well be non-existent... yet it dances across the water of the azure' bowl, stirs the flame in the golden lantern, stirs the frayed ends of the emerald thread. The bronze shield rings faintly, like a struck bell - and afterward, there is silence.

Perhaps it was only a breeze, after all. Or perhaps Lotus carries something more than memory with him, as he leaves the shrine.

Spoiler
    Show
    2-die stunt on Resplendencies. 3-die stunt on the ceremony (you may take a free BP if you wish), and you may learn Auspicious Prospects for Battles.

Also, your Bronze Faction Backing has risen - provisionally, for the moment - to 4. You may requisition artifacts etc accordingly.

Are you ready to head to Creation, or do you have more prep to do?
    Last edited by Ifni; 2015-08-26 at 09:34 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94

Lotus pauses for a brief moment as he feels what might have been a breeze, then nods slowly and continues on his way. He needs to be properly prepared for this assignment, after all, and that means acquiring certain supplies.

From his friends and colleagues in the Central Convention, Lotus acquires a slender headband of polished silver woven with a single strand of Starmetal. It seems to fit perfectly when he puts it on, and the resonance created between his own mind and the artifact serves to greatly enhance his senses and heighten his awareness of the celestial realms. That this might have the side effect of assisting in efforts to detect and subdue any of the Terrestrial spirits he might encounter is implied to be a benefit by the colleagues from which he obtains it - the God Wars are still a sore topic in the minds of many, and many have little hesitation in striking at their nominal subordinates by proxy.

To compliment it, Lotus speaks to a few well connected people and manages to acquire the temporary right to a pale Hearthstone the size of a walnut, which slots perfectly into the headband above his Caste Mark. He is going to be in Creation as an emissary of Heaven, after all, and it would not do for the gods' reputation to be tarnished by association with anyone less than awe inspiring.

From the divine bank with which he stores his wages the Sidereal obtains enough of the local currency to see him living like a king for months, carefully securing it in the unrealistically deep pockets afforded to him by his choice of attire. A visit to the quartermaster at the Crimson Panoply adds to that haul with a wide variety of well made weapons and other tools, many of which Lotus honestly expects will serve better as gifts to the more warlike natives than in his own employ, but you never know when something might prove useful.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, Lotus can justifiably use his Backing in the Bronze Faction (for the Immaculate-furthering goal), the Central Convention (it's on the Isle) and the Convention on War (duh) for this one. That gives him eight dots he can spread among useful artifacts and the like, raised to nine by the provisional increase in his Bronze backing.

Three of those dots are currently reserved for his Starmetal Infinite Resplendence Amulet, and a fourth is being spent on the Harmonic Adaptor for the Starfall Gauntlets. That leaves me with five more.

I'll use two of them on acquiring a Dragon Tear Tiara and the other three on picking up a Gem of Grace, both in the core rules. I don't know if you'd permit me to retroactively apply the Tiara bonus to my astrology rolls? It's still useful even if not, so I don't have very strong feelings one way or the other.

With that, I am ready to head into Creation. How exciting...

Oh, and I'll take that BP and spend it on a dot of Lore.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Sixth Gate stands at the far south-western edge of the Jaen-Ha, near the border of the Plains of Rusted Iron, where the coastline of the Blessed Isle curves to form the Great Iron Bight. From this point, the wide rolling grasslands of the Jaen-Ha stretch hundreds of miles north and east.

Lotus' advance research has revealed some salient facts about this particular Gate. Its isolation from the great cities of the Realm - and its proximity to the ruined Plains of Rusted Iron - has made it an unpromising site for Central Convention facilities or Immaculate monasteries, especially since the Contagion made mortal manpower a scarce resource.

It is currently administered by a single road-god; the exact god assigned there varies, but they are always a subordinate of the Ancient of Stone Journeys, tasked with guarding this stretch of the Great Coast Road.

The Gate itself is surrounded by the ruins of the First Age town that once served it. Over the years, it has served the purposes of the Central Convention to have the town become known as a haunted place, forbidden to mortals. Outside the town itself, along the coast road, a small shrine to the Ancient of Stone Journeys serves as the guardian-god's abode.

When Lotus steps across the threshold of the Gate, out into the air of Creation, the sun is just rising. The air is already warm with the heat of early summer. The wind is blowing in from the coast, and it smells of brine and seaweed.

He and Mischief stand in a circle of tumbled stone buildings. The Gate sits below the surface level of the ground, half-hidden in a sunken bowl with stair-stepped sides, shadowed from all directions by the ruins.

It takes only a few moments to find a clear path out through the rubble (although Mischief eyes the layout thoughtfully, clearly considering the possibility of simply leaping the ruined buildings in a single bound). Once outside the square that holds the Gate, it is quite difficult to see that the path exists, even knowing that it's there; the fallen walls are a maze, and the shadows fall in just the right way to conceal the path.

The sea-wind blows stronger here, and Lotus can hear the sound of surf beneath the cliffs. Stepping up to stand atop a pile of stones, he can see where the land cuts away, falling to the sea below. The Great Coast Road, relic of the First Age, runs like a ribbon of dully shining hematite between the ruined city and the ceaseless sea, dark against the reddish rock of the cliffs. A small stone tower stands at the furthest point of the cliffs, holding a bright point of light in its uppermost windows, fading almost to invisibility with the advent of the day.

In the opposite direction, looking inland, the thin vegetation that crawls over the ruins - stunted by wind and salt, but sheltered from the sun by the shattered stone - gives way to open flat country, thick with dry golden-brown grasses, and dotted here and there with low dull-green scrub.

Spoiler: Some images for inspiration
    Show

Seaward:
    Spoiler
    Show

The city:
    Spoiler
    Show

Landward:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The tiara bonus can retroactively apply to astrology rolls, sure, go ahead and roll it.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96

Lotus still remembers the advice given to him by the Abbot of the Wind Flutes, and although the territory around the Sixth Gate is supposed to be abandoned and ruined there seems little sense in risking some inquisitive scout laying eyes on what he really looks like ahead of time. The last step taken before entering Creation, then, is to weave himself a new face with sorcerous power and lay it over his own. So it is that when he emerges from the gate it is as the weathered, golden-eyed and powerful Temujin, obvious descendent of local stock and harbinger of war. Everythung from his stance to his expression to his very fate proclaim this to be true.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whoops, almost forgot - use Disguise of the New Face to appear as Temujin. The spell in Emerald Circle states that it needs an arcane link to the target being impersonated - I'm hoping I can get away without one of those since I'm not impersonating anyone who actually exists, or alternately that I can use the existence of an actual newly-woven fate as an Arcane Link for these purposes.

I'm also slightly concerned that the spell doesn't protect you from being identified as an Exalt by Measure the Wind, as I'm going to be dealing with spirits a lot. I'm hoping that can be fudged into it detecting me as a being supernaturally empowered by a high ranking deity, which would compliment the disguise rather than instantly ruining it.

Also donning resplendent destiny.

With a somber expression, the God-blooded champion looks around the ruined city, taking in the destruction and ruination that war and disaster could wreck upon even the most advanced of people. It might be a dire portent, but it could just as easily be a reminder of what he was here to avert, and he would not seen the People suffer the same fate if it could be avoided.

"Come, Mischevous One." He says to his steed, swinging himself up onto her back with practiced ease. "It is a long way to the Serpentine River, and we do not have the luxury of being slow. It is time to run."

Mischief, for her part, snorts in amusement at her partner's strange accent and mannerisms. She was used to the fact that he could switch faces - it would be hard not to be, after so many years together - but they were still entertaining. Still, there was no point in complaining, not when there was so much open space in front of her. Yu-Shan was a lovely city, and there were quite a few parks and similar areas where she could run, but it was nothing like this.

Given into the temptation, the divine horse throws herself forwards into an outright gallop, treading on the air itself to carry her easily over the buildings and then racing across the plains faster than any mortal animal could hope to match.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, Serpentine River to start with, Mischief going as fast as she can - which is pretty damn fast. Emerald Son of the Clouds seems like a good choice to start with, in terms of securing the backing of local deities for this, as well as one of the easier ones to find given his domain is such an extended one.

Depending on how long it takes to get there Lotus might stop for a rest along the way or he might activate one of his own fatigue-ignoring abilities. It depends, really.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Five hundred miles north, across the open plains of the Jaen-Ha, skirting the red-earth boundary of the Plains of Rusted Iron. More than two weeks travel, on a good horse; almost a week even by the best of Imperial horse relays.

Temujin and the Mischievous One will cross it in less than a day.

They cross streams and marshes, startling flocks of waterbirds into the air. They cross grasslands and heaths, and pass by the occasional spinney of spindly trees and bushes. Wood is not burned for fires, here on the plains, being far too precious; horse-dung is used instead. They see herds of wild horses running in the distance, and eagles circling overhead, and once or twice a hare startles from beneath Mischief's hooves.

It is around midday when Lotus first notices the dark silhouette racing alongside them - another horse, a stallion. He is black, and a little larger than Mischief, but with the same flawless conformation. And he is keeping up, albeit not outpacing her. He whinnies once at her, a sharp joyous sound, but otherwise seems content - at least for the moment - to run alongside the pair. As far as Lotus can see, he has no rider.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Mischief using Landscape Travel? At base "inexhaustible horse" pace the trip will take a bit less than 24 hours.

Either way, at midday, you're a fair way from the river. but there will be a couple of events along the way. This is the first one. How do you react?

Also, regarding Planning Points, let's start you out with 4, and we'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2015-08-30 at 02:32 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

A stallion gallops the plains, alone.

It is the way of prophesies to be most easily understood after the events they foretell have occurred, but the perceptive can often identify certain elements that allow them to determine when such a prediction is in the process of playing out. Some even manage to recognize such an occurrence ahead of time. In this case, the meaning seems clear enough that even a child could grasp the importance of this event, though determining quite why something is so significant is the real trick.

As the black stallion falls in alongside them, Temujin at first blinks in surprise, then grins in fierce pleasure. A light touch on his steed's shoulder conveys his intent and is met with enthusiastic agreement - this is the first time another horse has ever really come close to matching Mischief's speed, and such an opportunity should be savoured. The God-touched rider laughs in exhilaration as they pick up the pace, red horse and black racing over the plains with a speed to put the wind to shame.

They run in relative silence for a time, taking enjoyment in the sheer feeling of speed and the pleasant burn of physical exertion, but eventually the appearance of a small stream offers a natural place to pause the chase. Mischief tilts her head to glance back at her rider, who nods in agreement, and the two of them slowly draw to a halt. Yu-Shan is a place of many wonders, but there is always something to be said for a refreshing drink of cool, clear water after a prolonged run. As the mare dips her head to drink, Temujin vaults from her back and then turns towards the black stallion.

"Magnificent!" He proclaims in a powerful voice ringing with laughter, speaking in the language of the gods - for it is obvious that this is no ordinary horse. "It is a rare thing indeed to meet anyone capable of matching Mischief in a race. A pleasure to meet you, whoever you are."

The scarlet mare raises her head from the stream just long enough to whinny in both agreement and curiousity, before returning to her drinking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mischief would be using Landscape Travel, yes.

This post assumes that the black horse would stop with us when we paused to drink. If not, it can easily happen while still running.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The black stallion slows when they do, and walks over to the stream, letting the water rush around his hooves as he lowers his head to drink thirstily. Then the horse's form blurs and shifts, and a dark-haired man crouches at the edge of the river, lifting his hands to splash water over his brow. He is dressed much like Temujin. His skin is dark and sun-weathered, his bright brown eyes approving as he studies the pair.

"Rare for me as well," he says equably. He stands up, shaking the water from his hair, and bows to Mischief. "And likewise a pleasure."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2015-09-01 at 11:57 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Temujin blinks in surprise at the sudden change of shape, but rallies quickly. Behind his golden eyes, Lotus fights down a surge of doubt.

A shapeshifter? But the old man saw no signs of Lunar interference. God-touched, then?

"Ah, but I am being rude. I am called Temujin." The would-be warlord says after that momentary pause of surprise. "And this is... well, I call her Mischief, for reasons that will be apparent if you spend too much time around her. I helped her and her mother out a while back in a dispute with a forest spirit, and we've been running together ever since."

Mischief snorts in a way that manages to perfectly convey 'If you can call what he does 'running'.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I am called Hadur," the man replies. His smile is faintly amused, as if he expects a reaction. "Temujin - a name with meaning. Do you call a tribe your own?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Lotus recognises the name Hadur from his preparations, but there were never many details. So while Temujin notes the name with the air of a man who has heard it before, he reveals no further reaction.

"Not for some time." He replies, cricking his neck. "It has been many years since I rode upon these plains, and I would not say I have a right to claim a tribe after so long apart. In truth I thought I would never return, but the world has chosen to prove me wrong."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"And what brings you and the lady back to these plains, after all these many years, Child of Thunder?" Hadur's voice is almost singsong, with the cadence of a storyteller.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    "And what brings you and the lady back to these plains, after all these many years, Child of Thunder?" Hadur's voice is almost singsong, with the cadence of a storyteller.
    "Ambition." Temujin says with a fierce grin. "I am going to unite the Clans. Forge the people of the plains into one nation, to stand proud alongside all of the others."

He turns and strolls over to the river-bank, inspecting the stones gathered there by the flow of the water. Some are small pebbles, others sizeable boulders shifted only by the spring melt. "The idea came to me while I roamed beyond the borders of the Jaen Ha. The Scarlet Empress lays claim to those lands, ruling them in their entirety from her distant palace, and none dare to oppose her will. I have seen her armies, men and women clad in steel marching by their thousands to the commands of their leaders, Dragon-Blooded warriors who channel the strength of the elements themselves. It was both the most inspiring and most frightening thing I have ever witnessed."

For a moment, the rider looks pensive. "Inspiring, because it is a mustering of strength unlike any I have seen. Frightening, because one day that strength will be turned against the tribes. Fractured and divided, we cannot hope to oppose the legions, and in their wake will come the Immaculates, to reshape our history and our traditions to something more comfortable to them. It might happen tomorrow, it might happen a hundred years hence, but one day their avarice and desire to rule everything will see them turned against us."

He picks one rock out from all the rest, a large boulder the size of a horse's torso, far too large to be moved by anything save the fierce floods that course down these rivers from the distant mountains with the snowmelt. "If we are to survive, then it must be as one people, united in thought and deed. With such strength we can deal with the Realm on our own terms, control the flow of any interactions, preserve that which we wish to preserve rather than what they find harmless enough to allow. We will be the sea of grass, bending before the hurricane but surviving its passage, instead of the solitary tree that cracks and falls. This is what I believe must be done... and I have been fortunate enough to find those who agree with me."

With a single hand, he reaches out and grasps the mighty boulder in a grip of iron. Muscles bulge along his arm and, with the same effort as one might require to lift a jug of water above the head, Temujin hoists the massive stone into the air. "I might not command the elements or wield the Sword of Creation as this Scarlet Empress does... but then, I am not trying to conquer the world entire, so perhaps this will be enough. I would prefer words to blades, but there are enough proud men out here that will never bend the knee no matter how prettily I ask them, so I will do whatever must be done to see my dream made real."

Spoiler
    Show
    I absolutely love Burn Life. It's just such a fun charm, and given that Lotus has the Strength+Athletics to bench press an elephant at this point a large rock should be well within his capabilities.

As a side note, while I know Hadur was mentioned in the information that I gathered, was there anything in the way of specifics as to what he is?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hadur's smile becomes a grin, and then a booming laugh.

"I like you, Temujin," he says, after his laughter has run its course. "I know not whether you will succeed, but the path you blaze will be a sight to see."

He draws a horn-hilted knife from his belt, and slices free a lock of his own black hair. (It is thick and straight and coarse, Lotus notices, with the texture of a horse's mane.) His hands move briefly, weaving a braided cord.

"Cast that rock away," he says with a nod at the boulder, "and take this gift in sign of the Stallion's blessing."

To Lotus' well-tuned ears, Hadur hums with Essence, permeating his whole body; the high airy noise of flutes mingles with a steady drumbeat, punctuated by the clash of cymbals. A heartbreakingly sweet strain from some stringed instrument, whispering of love and tragedy, winds through the fast percussive rhythms. The cord in Hadur's hands sings as well, a single thread of bright warm melody drawn from that complex symphony.

More than one Charm adds its music to that symphony, as well. The form the man wears now is only a guise; when he walks forward, Lotus hears the sound of hoofbeats behind every step. Every step sings with a brief burst of allegro notes - a familiar sound, as Lotus hears much the same melody when Mischief moves. A lower, stronger harmony seems to resonate with the wind overhead and the rustle of the grasses.

Lastly, Hadur's silver-chased riding boots sing with their own changing melody, shifting continually from mellifluous to strident and back again.

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a 3-die stunt, btw Take a BP if you wish (or 6m or 1WP if you prefer).

Roll Int+Occult separately for each of the charms/effects/artifacts you wish to analyze.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

"Success is never certain - not in any course worth pursuing. Still, I should rather chase my dreams down that blazing path, than live a life of pale echoes, too afraid of what might be to seize what could." Temujin says in agreement, reaching out to take the cord of hair offered to him. "My thanks. I shall carry it with pride."

Behind the golden eyes of the man called Temujin, Lotus scrutinizes this 'Stallion', listening to the melodies of essence that wind their way through his body. The hoofbeats and their associated tunes can be largely disregarded - it is interesting to note that the humanoid appearance is the disguise (or alternate form, perhaps), but not much of a surprise, and the secondary charms bear enough similarity to Mischief's own speed enhancing abilities that spending time analyzing them is unlikely to reveal much of real import.

The core of the music, though, that is worth paying attention to, while the harmony joining the Stallion to his surroundings could likewise reveal much of interest. And, of course, he would be quite foolish if he did not consider the effects of the horse-hair braid before he spent any great length of time carrying it. Hadur does not seem malicious or spiteful, but the Sidereal is well aware that what might be a blessing or a joke to some deities can be read as a mortal insult or curse by others, so it is always best to be aware of such things.

To pick meaning or even details out of so many overlapping tunes might seem like an impossible task to some, but Lotus has the benefit of training and experience. Heaven has a thriving musical tradition, with everything from stirring ballads performed before large audiences to private recitals for a few select guests available if you know where to look, and more than a few Sidereals make a habit of taking the opportunity to experience such things. Learning how to appreciate a musical composition on multiple levels not only flatters and impresses the gods around you, it is also highly useful as a means of training your ear to pick up subtle cues in other, less scripted tunes.

Spoiler: Analysing charms
    Show

OK, so, Lotus has an Intelligence + Occult pool of 8, which rises to 10 if his 'gods' speciality applies. I'll roll everything together, but if the speciality doesn't apply to something then ignore... say the last two dice.

Side note, really need to invest in some Occult excellencies. Also, I'll take a BP for that, and use it to... you know what, might as well raise willpower to 10. It's been sitting at 9 for ages and it doesn't hurt to have the resources there to call upon. It's easier to justify than many other options as well - internalizing Temujin's unique brand of possibly-insane confidence and ambition.

So, for the core essence pattern of Hadur: (10d10)[3][10][1][4][8][3][4][4][9][6](52)

The cord he's offering me: (10d10)[8][3][2][2][8][7][9][7][3][7](56)

The harmony with the grass and sky: (10d10)[7][3][1][3][6][2][9][10][9][10](60)

His boots (why not): (10d10)[7][1][9][8][5][6][1][8][10][10](65)

Stunt: (3d10)[4][7][3](14)

"I had intended to seek out the spirits who resided in and around the plains before truly beginning my quest, to speak and consult with them - hence why we were riding towards the Serpentine River. If nothing else, it seemed polite, and I have heard many stories of what happens when you are rude to those of power and influence." He continues after a moment. "It would be a great shame to offend one and be turned to stone before I could even truly begin. Have you, perhaps, words of advice to avoid such a dull end to the story?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Lotus' keen ear reads truths out from the complex mesh of melodies. Hadur's power matches his own, and spreads out into the harmony of the grasslands. A Charm of awareness, of perception... Lotus cannot be certain of what precisely will trigger its vigilance, but it wends its way into the land and sky like a river of music, waiting for a flung pebble to disturb its rippling waters. The boots' mercurial melody, after a moment, catches at his memory: a study-room in Department 137, hung with delicate wind-chimes of moonsilver that ring out strange and ever-changing chords. There is the sound of wind in this melody as well, and swiftness, and the cries of birds.

But the braided cord in the Stallion's hand is a simple thing, a good-luck charm - albeit one of unusual power. Listening more closely, Lotus can hear the hoofbeats in it as well, and nickering and neighing. Mischief snuffles at the dark cord as Lotus takes it, seeming interested.

Spoiler
    Show
    2-die stunt.

Hadur is Essence 4. His boots are moonsilver god-kicking boots, and seem to also have additional powers of mobility. The harmony with grass and sky is a sensory Charm, connecting him to the surrounding region and granting him awareness of events within the area. The cord he is offering Lotus is a potent talisman: it acts as a triple-strength good luck charm (negates three botches per story), and also grants the wearer the ability to communicate with horses.

Hadur nods solemnly. "Defile not the wells, nor set fire in the grasslands. When you hunt, leave part of the meat as offering to the skyhunters. Kill no foals, nor any mare in foal or with a young one at her side. If you see any signs of Kuri's curse among you or those who follow you, you must appease her: she cares little for good intentions."

"As for the Serpentine River..." He frowns. "Its dragon is not in good temper, these days. I hear he has taken to demanding tribute from travelers. But he will not turn you to stone -" He grins, briefly. "He will just eat you, instead. Or try."

He looks at Mischief. "Does your mother run these plains, Lady Mischievous?" he enquires.

Spoiler
    Show
    Note that Hadur can understand Mischief's idiosyncratic communication - you can choose how she replies.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

"Try to eat me?" Temujin seems to consider this for a moment, even as he tucks the talisman carefully into his belt (he can arrange a better place to keep it in the long term later). "Good. That, I can work with. True, I've never had a dragon try to eat me before, but I will at least understand what he's trying to do."

Mischief perks up at being directly addressed, stamping one foot and snorting in confirmation. She turns and looks at the horizon, in the direction where she was born and spent the first few years of her life, then turns to stare at Temujin with the most incredibly soulful look in her eyes.

"Yes, we can go visit her before we're done." The human says with bemused affection. "All you had to do was ask. It's not like I would have refused without the blatant emotional blackmail..."

Mischief's expression switches from maudlin to happy in an eye link, and she nuzzles her human affectionately for a moment. It will be very good to see goddess-mother again. She can show her how she's growing up, and how she wasn't so irresponsible as to lose the two-legged rider she was entrusted either, so there.

"What am I, a family pet? No, don't answer that." Temujin grumbles, before looking at Hadur. "Her mother is Ansha Silver-Maned; something I have to explain whenever she forgets that there is more than one goddess in the world..."

Mischief snorts, almost offended. There are many goddesses, yes, but none are even nearly as good as her mother. That so few others seem to understand this at first glance is hardly her fault...

Spoiler
    Show
    It amuses me to be playing Temujin as this big, boisterous warrior type without compromising on the Mischief interactions. Only the boring people think that being a Heaven-sent hero means you have to be serious all the time...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Ah. The Lady Ansha and I are... friends," Hadur replies, with a faintly wistful smile. He turns back to Mischief. "Your brothers and sisters run with the herds of these plains, Goddess-Born, beside my own children. Should you ever wish to spend time among your own kind - or bear foals of your own, to pass on your inheritance - then we would be glad to welcome and honor you."

He bows to her, and then nods to Lotus. "We will meet again, Child of Thunder."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hadur is willing to wrap up the conversation here, do you have more to say?
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Mischief seems to consider this for a moment. Little foals are pretty adorable, but does she want to become a serious mother-type person? Musing on this, she glances at Temujin, who raises his hands to ward the question off.

"Woah there, you do not get me involved in this." He says firmly, fighting back laughter. "My advice on children would be terrible, and I'm not sure how much common ground there is between humans and foals anyway."

Mischief snorts at this, thinking about foals walking around on their hind legs and doing that strange thing with water coming from the eyes that little humans do. It is a profoundly strange image. Still, maybe she should seek out some of her other siblings at some point. It would be good to see them, and how else is she to rest secure in the knowledge that she is the fastest and generally best horse ever if she doesn't at least compare herself to others every now and then?

Shaking his head, Temujin slings himself back up onto Mischief's back and nods to Hadur. "I shall look forwards to it, and aim to prove myself worthy of the blessing you have bestowed upon me. Now, to try and not get eaten by a territorial dragon. Come on Mischief, let us ride!"

The God-blooded mare leaps at the invitation, bounding forwards and accelerating rapidly to a full gallop. The land rolls away all around them, and atop her back Lotus takes the opportunity to call a small emerald spider into his hand.

So, definitely another horse-God then, likely one associated with stallions where Ansha is responsible for mares and their young. Worth confirming, but for a nomadic people the obvious blessings of the horse deities is likely to be very persuasive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, I'm good to wrap that one up there. I know you mentioned there would be 'a couple' of events before I made it to the river, so I'm interested to see what the next one is.

Also, using Efficient Secretary Technique to see if I can identify the divine purview of Hadur, now that I've met him.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Until that day, Mischievous One, Child of Thunder."

Hadur shifts shape again, into the form of the great black stallion. His hooves, Lotus now notices, are shod with moonsilver. He runs alongside Mischief for a moment before wheeling off to the east.

For a few hours they ride without incident. Then, in the late afternoon, Lotus notices a cloud of red dust rising to the west, lit by the falling sun. The wind from that direction bears the faint, acrid scent of smoke, and the earthy smell of animal dung.

Spoiler
    Show
    Requesting information on the domain of Hadur the Stallion returns 'the horse-herds of the western Jaen-Ha'. Requesting information on his known attributes and associations returns 'stallions, battle, passion'.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2015-09-19 at 06:37 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

A cloud of dust likely means other riders, though the distinctive smell of smoke on the breeze might mean a camp or the aftermath of a battle. Temujin is not a man to shy away from any of those possibilities, so with narrowed eyes he indicates to Mischief his desire to investigate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, I've edited the post directly above my character sheet into containing a list of my various temporary resources and resplendent destinies. I figure having a single reference point should help me avoid forgetting about them.

As a side note, Lotus is going to activate the Resplendency powers 'Stab the Seer's Eyes' and 'Professional Mien', both of which have their duration measured in months or more. The first makes him automatically aware of any attempt to divine his destiny or similar astrological facts, allowing me to change the result to whatever I wish. I don't know if the tribes have any shamans, but if they do their auguries will support Temujin's identity as a divinely-blessed unifying figure.

The second means that for the vast majority of people I'm adding my essence to my Presence and Socialize rolls, since I appear to be supremely wise and someone worth consulting on all matters of cultural heritage and traditions. Temujin isn't some soft outsider, he is a true son of the steppe!

Also, can I check - are the rolls for weaving a Resplendency still difficulty 8? I seem to recall us deciding that the essence burden didn't apply to personally-directed destinies in order to avoid making Performance and a Fateful excellency an absolute requirement if you ever wanted to use Astrology, but I'm not sure.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

As the pair approaches the dust-cloud, they see it is indeed a camp - or rather a camp-in-progress. Tents and fires and horse-lines have been set up, and people are walking between them, but riders are still trailing in. From a distance, it looks like there are perhaps a hundred people in the camp, wearing garb not dissimilar to Temujin's own. Some of those figures are small: this does not look like a war party.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

As Temujin rides up, he studies the encampment and then smiles to himself. Not a war-party, but potentially still a useful source of information - besides, it would be rude to just turn around and ride off without at least introducing himself.

Still, there are certain formalities to be observed here. He is an outsider, and that means that simply riding into the camp is not acceptable. Instead he guides Mischief to a halt a short distance from the outer perimeter and nods to the nearest tribesman, posted here as a watchman and guard.

"Greetings. I am Temujin, of the plains." He says with an easy smile, deliberately identifying himself without tribal distinctions. "I saw the dust of your trail on the horizon and grew curious. What brings you this way?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, I am rather aware that Temujin is effectively a Charisma 7 dude on an obviously supernatural horse who just rode up and introduced himself without remarks about his Tribe. He'll also be carrying an unusual air of wisdom and insight due to his Resplendency power, which will be granting him an additional four dice on top of his Presence 5.

People assuming he's a spirit or something similarly out there would be entirely reasonable. I shall try not to be offended if they insist on testing me with cold iron or something

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

As Temujin approaches, the tribesfolk on guard duty raise their weapons; some of them bear bows, others knives and swords. The man addressed returns a cautious nod.

"Three Moons Chase," he introduces himself. "We are of the Singing Stones... plainsman. This is our songline; we travel the path every year." He grimaces, and then adds unguardedly, "Although this year we were glad enough to be gone from the north."

One of the other guards coughs, and then asks pointedly, "And what brings you here, s- sir?" The final word seems to have been changed at the last moment, rather grudgingly.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

"I am heading north, to the Serpentine River." Temujin says with casual confidence, gesturing in the appropriate direction. "I have business with Emerald Son of the Clouds, and that seemed the best place to find him."

He frowns for a moment. "Though I have heard that the dragon is not in good temper these days. Hadur mentioned something about demanding tribute." He glances between the Singing Stones. "I don't suppose you've had a similar experience?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, casually mentioning that I've chatted with one God and am on my way to see another. I considered several approaches, but since I'm deliberately trying to establish a reputation for Temujin I figured I'd be a bit more blatant with this sort of thing.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

There is some muttering amongst the tribesfolk, some hands crooked in signs - blessing, propitiation, something else? Three Moons Chase shakes his head. "No. But other tribes are pushing southward, and there was flooding on the lower river."

He pauses, and then waves northward. "We will not stand in your way, stranger, if you go to converse with the gods."

"Rudeness!" a cracked voice interjects sharply. An old man hobbles past the guards, eyeing Temujin through clouded eyes. He is wearing a spotted fur mantle, over the usual plains garb. "You meet a mysterious stranger on the plains, and do not invite him to the fires to share his tale? For shame!"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

"Ha! I'm a mysterious stranger now, am I?" Temujin says with genuine amusement, obscurely pleased by the description. "Well, I suppose I probably fit the part, if all the stories are to be believed. No companions, no tribal marks, riding to see the gods... all we need now is a dark and stormy night."

He slings himself off of Mischief's back with a single smooth motion, for the God-blooded steed has never been willing to accept a proper saddle. "Still, I do have a story or two to tell, and I'm interested in hearing your own - it has been some time since last I rode this way, and I miss the old stories. Perhaps we could trade?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The guard standing nearby laughs. "The Singing Stones do not trade for stories, Temujin Tribeless. But if you have one worthy to share in our challenge-circle, I'll take you up on it."

The old man smiles absently, and looks at the western sky, bright red with the sunset and the dust from the Plains of Rusted Iron. "Be careful with your words, Child of Thunder. Words have power, here."

He beckons to Temujin. "We must find a place for your horse. She is very fine."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

"Words have power everywhere, both subtle and obvious." Temujin replies. "But your warning is well taken. I shall watch my tongue appropriately."

Out of habitual caution, Lotus takes the opportunity here to open his senses and listen to the essence around them. Chances are there won't be much, but he'd rather not be caught unawares...

Mischief preens at the compliment, and Temujin chuckles quietly. "That she is. Fastest horse I've ever seen, and one of the toughest as well - we've been riding since dawn without pause, and she's yet to slow." He pauses and looks at her sternly. "And she will not be abusing your hospitality by eating everything within reach."

The crimson-coloured mare snorts at this and scuffs her hooves in an obviously bashful fashion. Eight years on and Lotus has yet to let her forget that embarrassment with the caravan supplies...