New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad DM Bingo

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Bad DM Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Lorsa View Post
    Since when is giving access to NPCs that will cast Wish necessarily a bad thing?
    It's one step short of a deus ex machina.
    [PF] HP Calculator - Fractional HP, now without math!
    [PF] Initiator NPC Templates - Quickly applied maneuvers for DMs.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since when is giving access to NPCs that will cast Wish necessarily a bad thing?
    Yeah, I wondered about that myself.

If the players can fork over that metric ton of gold to an arch-mage to buy the spell, find a genie's lamp in a treasure hoard, or are willing to make a soul pact with a devil, or do something incredibly heroic at the behest of a god or archangel then they can get wishes. I don't see what's wrong this. If wishes are a bad thing why even have them in the game?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    If wishes are a bad thing why even have them in the game?
    If the CW Samurai is a thing, so can Wish be a thing. I really don't think they thought it through.
    [PF] Initiator Balance Rule - A lightweight fix to balance casting and martial classes.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Also, is having enemies fight to the death that unusual? I check morale for my enemies (when I remember to), but in my experience most DMs have most monsters fight to the death all the time, I don't think its unusual at all.
    Even in the cases where a DM has enemies fighting to the death, you can usually point out to the DM that the enemies' suicidal behavior is destroying your suspension of disbelief, and a light bulb will go off above their head. They'll generally have no problem approaching that aspect of combat more realistically.

You have to remember that there are bad players as well; some DMs will shy away from having enemies flee because there are bad players out there who will get upset that some loot escaped (if you're playing D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder, XP doesn't change since you receive full XP for any encounter you "overcome", regardless of how many enemies were killed; systems that don't utilize this method of XP delivery should at least consider it).

Depending on the group, the DM should be replying to such players with something along the lines of either "they are creatures in a world, not stat blocks standing there just to throw loot at you" or "if you want their loot, then earn it by taking it from them; no one is stopping you".

Fixed.

Also, since always. There has literally never been an era in tabletop roleplaying games when it was considered good form to make Wish spells freely available. It's the laziest of lazy DMing and has no regard for game design or balance. If "having an NPC cast Wish for the party" is the best you can come up with to reward players, then you shouldn't be sitting behind the DM screen, never mind wasting people's time with such a lazy poorly thought-out excuse of a campaign.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

That was a reference to a specific thread from a little while ago... an easter egg, basically. Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelX View Post
    Also, since always. There has literally never been an era in tabletop roleplaying games when it was considered good form to make Wish spells freely available. It's the laziest of lazy DMing and has no regard for game design or balance. If "having an NPC cast Wish for the party" is the best you can come up with to reward players, then you shouldn't be sitting behind the DM screen, never mind wasting people's time with such a lazy poorly thought-out excuse of a campaign.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2015-05-28 at 01:10 PM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #36

I have to take exception to that. I assume your objection is that the players get to choose their own reward rather than the DM "going to the effort" of crafting premade rewards?

In my campaign I can recall two times the players had "wishes" as rewards.

The first was an adventure where the Macguffin was literally a magic lamp with the genie inside of it and several factions racing to claim it. The players ended up with the lamp in the end and were allowed to claim their three wishes. They actually wasted their wishes entirely btw*.

The second was a long running plot arc where they were being guided by a former deity. He was once a mortal who had ascended to godhood, but due to time travel shenanigans has ascension was erased and his divinity know existed as a vestige. The players helped him posses himself (the mortal version that existed in the new timeline) and then retrace his path to ascension. This took over a year of real time, and when the god finally returned to his divine state he rewarded the players with whatever they desired. Technically is was "alter reality" rather than "wish", but I imagine it counts just the same.

I don't see how either of these plot threads were bad or lazy DMing, and the players seemed to enjoy them (although they were kind of disappointed wasting their wishes in the first scenario).

*One of the enemies was a demon and retreated back to Hell when his side was defeated. The players wished that they knew where he went with their first wish, used their second wish to follow him into Hell, and then used their third wish to escape once they realized they were in over their heads.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2015-05-28 at 01:10 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

They actually wasted their wishes entirely btw*.
    I wish to bring Sir Osric back to life.

I agree on the argument here, but would never actually hand out wishes because I know players creative enough to break the game. A Ring of three Limited Wishes is something I might very occasionally drop as a reward, but I have an entire campaign planned where the McGuffin can grant a single wish, and find that it makes for a more interesting story than the 'genie in a lamp' three wishes style (although I'm not adverse to single wishes being won in heroic ways, such as helping a god).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I don't see how either of these plot threads were bad or lazy DMing
    Maybe they weren't, until the part where you anti-climatically said "okay so just, uh, have whatever you want now".

If I wanted to get whatever I wanted, I'd just write a story with my PC as the main character, and then they can sail around the ocean sunbathing on a yacht while drinking hard lemonade and lounging in the on-deck jacuzzi surrounded by beautiful persons of their sexual preference. Sounds like a good time, and no DM necessary.

I play campaigns for countless reasons, but one of them isn't so the DM can prompt me to rewrite their universe.
    Last edited by AzraelX; 2015-05-28 at 01:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Maybe they weren't, until the part where you anti-climatically said "okay so just, uh, have whatever you want now".

If I wanted to get whatever I wanted, I'd just write a story with my PC as the main character, and then they can sail around the ocean sunbathing on a yacht while drinking hard lemonade and lounging in the on-deck jacuzzi surrounded by beautiful persons of their sexual preference. Sounds like a good time, and no DM necessary.

I play campaigns for countless reasons, but one of them isn't so the DM can prompt me to rewrite their universe.
    I am having a hard time figuring out what exactly you don't like. Is it that you feel having too much (or any?) agency as a player is a bad thing?

Would it be equally bad for a king to offer a hero any boon that is within his power to grant for rescuing a princess or a merchant to offer a player their choice of items from his shop in exchange for saving his business? Or how about a campaign where the players are allowed to have some buy in to the world's creation such as designing their own homeland or decided what races exist in the world?

Or are you under the impression that I am handing out unlimited wishes free of cost or consequence?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Though if you all want to play acting games, there are probably better options than D&D.
    Yeah, expecting people to roleplay in a roleplaying game? What a concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    For fun, I'll incriminate myself.
    [td]Introduces DMPC that purposely fails all knowledge checks.[/td]
    What exactly is wrong with--
    [td]PCs find CR 12 encounter of kobolds playing Fizban.[/td]
    [td]Does not say the BBEG is aliens, but...[/td]
    [td]Manages to kill a PC with some kind of food-based golem.[/td]
    [td]Manages to kill a PC with a toilet.[/td]
    ...uh...
    [td]Excuses himself to the bathroom just before climatic reveal.[/td]
    While I appreciate that this would be irritating, expecting the DM to transcend biology seems a tidge harsh...
    [td]Sends party on quest for MacGuffin that never existed.[/td]
    Would need more information to judge this.
    [td]Makes BBEG sympathetic just to watch PCs squirm with morality issue.[/td]
    We want no thought here! Give us enemies who we can slaughter mindlessly!

(Though there could be ways this was bad, like if the player had no reason to fight the "BBEG" at all after the revelation but the DM railroaded it.)
    [td]Has a good-aligned chromatic dragon encounter who's still a jerk.[/td]
    [td]Dungeon trap inspired by an imbalanced washing machine.[/td]
    Way too many things on that table that aren't actually bad. You fail at incriminating yourself.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Way too many things on that table that aren't actually bad. You fail at incriminating yourself.
    Dang, I suck at being a bad DM.

Although much of that wasn't meant to be serious, they were all things that I've honestly done a few times each.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Although much of that wasn't meant to be serious, they were all things that I've honestly done a few times each.
    And I, for one, thank you for your contribution. I wanted to see some humour, and your card does a great job of hinting at funny stories but letting us imagine the details.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yeah, expecting people to roleplay in a roleplaying game? What a concept.
    I think the issue people are having is less that writing long backstories is an indicator that someone is good at roleplaying and simply that they're better at role-bookkeeping.

I tend to make my backstories brief:

I am playing a Wookie in our newly minted Star Wars Edge of the Empire game. My background is "The empire are jerks because of Kashyyyk" and "Jaggis (one of the PCs) is a cool dude (for getting me off Kashyyyk)". Heck, you could even use a B-action movie tagline to sum up our characters: "One is a wookie refugee with an axe to grind, the other is a gungan ex-pat bounty hunter: they fight crime stuff. For money.".

That's pretty much as much backstory as I put into most of my characters. The roleplay is what I do at the table. Rorworr is 7 feet and 450 pounds of angry fur and a beaten up force pike. Loyal to fault to his Gungun bounty hunter buddy (who is less Jarjar Binks and more Warcraft Troll Hunter) who saved him years ago. When a rodian shot my buddy in the leg during a chase it ended with "Berserk Wookie jumps into rodian escape vehicle, turns the shooter into a rodian shaped pile of blood via repeated force pike stabbings, hurls the driver out of vehicle and into oncoming something and jumps out without any harm as the other rodians let themselves out (of the careening lift), which careens with the limp body of the shooter still inside (and possibly alive/unconcious. I don't know. I only stopped the stabbing motions when he stopped moving)" and then proceeds to mope around at the end of the session and awkwardly tend to his gungan buddy's leg wound. Along with handing him the spoils of that encounter, the rodian shooter's rifle he grabbed before bailing, as a beginning of an apology for allowing that to happen.

Life debt, yo. Wookies take that stuff seriously.

Roleplay is what do you at the table. Not the literary bookeeping you do before you sit down. If you're going to give a boon to a player for spending time on his character, might as well as give the minmaxer a boon for working out how to optimally get his stat arbitrarily high. Most players are bad at writing backstories. I give my GM exactly the amount of backstory needed to get me going:

Rorworr has motivation to follow the plot (oh look, the empire are being jerks, if only there was somewookie...)
    Rorworr has connections with other PCs (Hi Jaggy!)
    Rorworr has a profession (if only by association)
    Rorworr has a personality (THE EMPIRE ARE JERKS! Jaggis a cool dude. Smashing is fun. )
    Rorworr's skills are reflected by his mercenary, violent and somewhat self-sufficient lifestyle (a jack of all trades)

And all this via "The Empire are jerks because Kashyyyk" and "This other PC is a cool dude because Kashyyyk".

Does that mean I should get a leg up on my other players? NO!

Anything more then the bare minimum to get your character integrated in the setting/group/plot is done because you want to. Not because you expect to be rewarded mechanically and a GM creating a mechanical imbalance between characters by giving Ernest Space-Hemmingway more starting boons then Stephanie Space-Meyers doesn't make him a good GM because all he's done is told the players he gives bonuses people who can write good novels, over actually being capable of characterization in-play.

Roleplaying is usually rewarded naturally: a player who gets immersed and involved in the game world will naturally have things start revolving around him and get the appropriate boons. Players who roleplay characters who are noble and kind will likely naturally start getting NPCs asking for help and giving help back in return in some form: money, food, shelter, etc... Players who roleplay characters who are scary and violent will likely have that sort of roleplay returned in kind too: his name alone might loosen lips and his presence scare off potential assailants, simply showing up might also cause others to give him boons out of fear of reprisal. Both will have their downsides though: people will be wary and cautious around (or simply avoid) a violent PC and you can expect some to take advantage of a kind one.

That is how you reward good roleplaying... under a decent GM it's an investment that will reward itself over time without needing to give away a +1 Stunning Forcepike.

On the flipside if our theoretical Hemmingway is simply a good novelist and a bad roleplayer, all you've done is given him tools to overshadow our theoretical Meyer who happens to be a bad novelist and a surprisingly good roleplayer.

Roleplaying is it's own reward. Unbalancing characters from the get-go does not a good GM make.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe I am weird, but I care a whole lot less about the quality of stuff I get handed when I am the DM then the idea of if the player put some effort into making a PC that fits the world/party. I am not really going to judge a PC before the first session, and I'm hardly the only one who counts when it comes to judging a character as good. If you give me a basic background, maybe even search the web for an appropriate image of the character and try to make something that works with what everyone is doing, then I'm willing to give rewards. I really don't want to be that guy who gives out rewards based on their own personal tastes.

And I agree with Oxybe, I've gotten very nice character backstories from people who then went on to RP the worst murderhobos or even sometimes 'good-aligned' psychopaths. I'd rather get a single paragraph of a simple character who works well at the table then seven pages of backstory that doesn't explain why the character is trying to murder the mayor for insulting their outfit that one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

the first bingo card has TotM on it can you explain it

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa Ellenesse View Post
    the first bingo card has TotM on it can you explain it
    Theatre of the Mind, the non-visual parts of roleplaying.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Totema View Post
    Theatre of the Mind, the non-visual parts of roleplaying.
    That's not the first acronym that sprang to mind, oddly.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Since it was discovered that doing so always ends one of two ways: TPK or TPAtG (Total Party Ascension to Godhood).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Changes PC's Alignment.
    Call me fussy, but I'd change that into "Changes PC's Alignment Arbitrarily". Especially if there are character traits or magic that involves alignment, it is the DM's responsibility to ensure that everyone has in their character sheet the same alignment that they are role-playing.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Back in the day, Wish spells just always backfired horribly. The players saw something that gave a Wish, they/we ran from it faster than they/we would from a fight with every demon in the Abyss at once, because it could only end horribly. Even if you got a lawyer to write it, it'd still go Monkey's Paw on you.

And dagnabbit, if the random encounter tables said the random encounter was deadly, then by gum it was. Granted, at low level, a swan, a goat, a housecat, or a single-digit number of squirrels could be deadly. Now git off my lawn, you dadgum whippersnappers.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    That's not the first acronym that sprang to mind, oddly.

... Just looked it up. I've never seen that phrase acronym-ised, but I guess it's probably more widely used among the general public.

So yeah, I'm talking about situatuons where a DM puts the players in places they would never have picked on a grid, etc., which is pretty nasty in my book.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #52

Inconsistent Rulings
    No Preparation At All
    Favouritism
    Poor Time Keeping
    Hour Long Monologues
    Fails to stop disruptive behavior.
    Heavy handed railroading
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

23. - Top - End - #53

This looks like fun. Ah, the trip around my memories as a bad "just starting out" GM.

Gives players OP weapon, then tells them they can't use it. Tries to force horror into a D&D game. Making the players fight a black hole. Tedious list of useless magic items Makes houserules to counteract one particular player's strength.
    Mind controlling players without cooperation. Forces pointless prophecies on the players. Anachronism stew. Unavoidable underwater level. There is nothing but weeks of travel between point A and B.
    Beginning and ending, but nothing but padding in between. The setting works beautifully with everything except for the players in it. Sudden and dramatic setting change. Post apocalyptic D&D when nobody asked for it. "The Ancients" did it.
    Monsters change mid-fight to lengthen combat. "I didn't prepare for that room yet. Pick another one." Magic items don't match adventure. "No, you can't play a Minotaur. They're a slave race." Tries to play anything except for D&D using the D&D system.
    "Gee, I'm not beating down hard enough on the players. Better start fudging rolls." Political intrigue when nobody asked for it. Retired PC becomes major villian. Respawning monsters. Drops a player by simply never contacting them again.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

24. - Top - End - #54

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrieur View Post
    It's one step short of a deus ex machina.
    I don't see it. A DEM is some previously unknown power that comes in at the last second to save the day when the protagonists fail.

Wish is one of the basic spells in the Player's Handbook. Thus, in order to keep verisimilitude, you either have to remove it completely from the game (which, arguably, you should), or have NPCs which can cast it. These NPCs interact with the world in some way, thus it should be possible for the PCs to access them.

That was a reference to a specific thread from a little while ago... an easter egg, basically. Also, this:
    Aha. That scenario is just bad. But I'm not surprised really, first time DMing at a young age. We really shouldn't be too hard on him, hopefully he will learn in time.
    Last edited by Lorsa; 2015-06-01 at 08:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I have some random encounters that I would term "deadly" in my encounter tables. Generally it's up to the stupidity of the players to actually confirm that they are deadly..

I don't think it's necessarily bad DMing. Presenting an encounter way above the group can be an interesting role-play opportunity.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't find anything wrong about "deadly" random encounters. It is what helps give a feeling about the environment. For instance, if you were running around in Mordor, you'd expect the random encounters you run into to be a good deal deadlier than in the Shire.

Most of my bad habits as a new DM come from being too easygoing and not nipping problems in the bud when I could have in the spirit of player agency. (Like PvP.)

27. - Top - End - #57

A chance of having a random encounter kill is fine, since tension needs to exist to make the encounter engaging, but having many killer random encounters is far too much. A random encounter shouldn't kill someone who is trying very hard to not die.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Playgrounders, I know you've had some bad experiences in the past, but has anyone won the bad DM bingo*? Feel free to contribute your own bingo cards as well!

Spoiler: Bad DM Bingo
    Show

Inspired by Blacky the Blackball's post in this thread.

* The prize is cake... which I will eat on your behalf.
    I don't think I have a bingo with any individual DM, but roll all of them together (including good dms on bad days) and I'm close to blackout.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

29. - Top - End - #59

I don't see it. A DEM is some previously unknown power that comes in at the last second to save the day when the protagonists fail.

Wish is one of the basic spells in the Player's Handbook. Thus, in order to keep verisimilitude, you either have to remove it completely from the game (which, arguably, you should), or have NPCs which can cast it. These NPCs interact with the world in some way, thus it should be possible for the PCs to access them.
    Precisely, it's a DEM that players have access to, a DEM on command if you will.

And yes, removing it from the game is the only sensible thing to do. It and its brothers reality revision and miracle.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Giving the PCs access to an NPC who can cast Wish is very different from giving them access to an NPC who will cast Wish whenever they ask. Of course, you still need a reason why he's not casting Wish and solving everything.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season