New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    As it is extremely unlikely any of those named bothered to petition Ao for access to Toril, I doubt any of them were forced to ground during the Time of Troubles.
    Interesting, so only those playing by Ao's rules got the cosmic boot? Why would anyone play by those rules if the option to just manage worshipers on Faerun existed regardless? And why did Tiamat or the Elemental Lords do so (they seem least likely of the known participants)?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Interesting, so only those playing by Ao's rules got the cosmic boot? Why would anyone play by those rules if the option to just manage worshipers on Faerun existed regardless?
    1) Who expected the Overgod to cast down the deities?

2) You don't really get to manage them. You have to hand them off to a local power to administrate. and there are no gains for doing that. Before you ask, that process is automatic in Realmspace - if you aren't there, Ao will allocate them appropriately.

And why did Tiamat or the Elemental Lords do so (they seem least likely of the known participants)?
    It was a worthwhile planet for Tiamat to have a presence on; she had a lot of human worshipers and some powerful evil dragons. The Elemental Lords appear to have been deliberately excluded from the godsfall by Ao, which is rather understandable given their complete lack of involvement with the Faerunian pantheon's operations and general cosmological role.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any other overpowers/overgods/overdeities than Ao? If two diametrically opposed Elemental Planes were to come into contact with each other, what would happen, aside from war?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Are there any other overpowers/overgods/overdeities than Ao?
    Yes.

If two diametrically opposed Elemental Planes were to come into contact with each other, what would happen, aside from war?
    Pockets do that all the time, it's no big deal.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

You still have not explained to me what is it that you want regarding alternate Primes.
    Nothing specific yet; I just wanted to be prepared.

I thought I had already typed that, but apparently not.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

So, in Ponythread, there's been talk of a D&D campaign set in Equestria and I bumped into this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNum
    ...a world where the divine domains have been crowdsourced.
    I was wondering if you could A: grace the thread with infinite fury and knowledge, or B: elucidate the whole and total potential of such.
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

So, in Ponythread
    wut

there's been talk of a D&D campaign set in Equestria
    wut

...a world where the divine domains have been crowdsourced.
    wut

I was wondering if you could A: grace the thread with infinite fury
    That's never difficult.

B: elucidate the whole and total potential of such.
    I do not comprehend your request.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

What would that mean for dying, for outsiders, for elementals, for non-Primes in this setting, how different it would be from a bog-standard Prime.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

What is meant by "divine domains have been crowdsourced"? I think that's the core of the confusion here. At least, it's why I'm confused.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-08-29 at 09:31 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

In Equestria, all the ponies work together to take care of things (aside from the ascent of sun and moon), and there is no one authority for say, the changing of seasons or causing rain and drought.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

(the first two "wut"s)
    I agree; that request weirded me out.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

In Equestria, all the ponies work together to take care of things (aside from the ascent of sun and moon), and there is no one authority for say, the changing of seasons or causing rain and drought.
    I already feel like I know too much about this.

What would that mean for dying
    Do you still worship an individual? Go to their domain. Do you not? Go to the appropriate plane. Something about ponies? Go dive in an acid lake.

for outsiders
    Interpret from above.

for elementals
    Do the ponies have some lack of need for elemental planes that I don't know about?

for non-Primes in this setting,
    I don't really follow why it should be any different for them.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

I already feel like I know too much about this.
    I somehow managed to stomach two whole episodes; don't ask me how, because I don't know. If it were a food rather than a cartoon, 'twould surely taste like diabeetus and vomit, even though diabeetus doesn't have a taste. I can totally see how it would appeal to anyone{!}

Seriously: if a show replaces the word "everyone" with a made-up word, that show sucks. MLP:FIM is even worse than Little Miss Spider; at least that one had the decency to make a pun about it (I don't care how much you hate puns, it slightly dilutes the disgust of the "every____(y)")
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-08-29 at 11:09 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Since I happen to have some knowledge of the setting, and because I try not to pointlessly bash things that I don't enjoy, I'll take a crack at this one.

Well, you've only got two divine entities (well, semi-divine; they're DvR 1 at best), and they only control the movements of the sun and moon. They also reside on the same plane as everyone else does, so they don't have their own planes of residence. There's no particular reason for there to be planes other than the Prime in a FiM setting, and adding outer planes would be unnecessarily complicated.

You could include the inner planes easily enough, or elementals could just come from Equestria; maybe if you have a big enough fire, it spews out a fire elemental, and so on. There's no way to explain other extraplanar creatures, so anything with that subtype would have to either not exist or be resubtyped as (native), possibly explained as a creation of Discord (who would make sense as a DvR 0 1 [thanks DMoD] entity). If you want to bring the concept of souls into the setting (to better explain how resurrection works), you wouldn't need to create a plane for the afterlife; souls could linger in Equestria, or could be reincarnated into new denizens of the world.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-08-29 at 11:40 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

15. - Top - End - #495

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    possibly explained as a creation of Discord (who would make sense as a DvR 0 entity).
    Just going to point out that he, well, probably is a bit stronger than DR 0. The fact that he created/resides in another plane of existence and can tear holes into completely alien cosmologies is a strong indication that he's a bit more than a hero-deity, and the fact that he has a portfolio sense is rather damning proof that he's at least DR 1.

And now I shall leave this conversation.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2015-08-29 at 11:38 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #496

MonkGirl

If a God didn't have a Divine Realm (because it was destroyed and hasn't been re-established, or he's a jackass who doesn't want one, or some random exception because there are infinite Gods so there probably is someone); where do their followers end up in death? Still to their God (wherever they are at the moment)? To the plane they belong to as if they didn't have a patron at all? Something else?

Also, for a person that doesn't have a patron and dies; is there any way they could end up on the Inner Planes, or is that only the result when you do have a Patron and it lives there?
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2015-08-30 at 09:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

One example in 3.5 of a deity without a realm is Fharlaghn, who is wandering the planes. In his case, his native plane is set as the Material Plane, and his worshippers manifest themselves on the Material Plane after dying. To be exact, they take the shape of invisible, intangible Spirits that guard (or at least, watch) crossroads. That is what Complete Divine says.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Hi, I am currently looking into good places to send enemies that tend to not stay dead (e.g. Devils, Demons) for the purposes of keeping them "out of play" for extended periods of time. For a while, I figured Carceri was a decent place, since it has the Demodands as literal Jailers; but now I've come across something very interesting that I was hoping to get your 2 coppers on.
    I needed that too. I homebrewed a planar aberration, cut from the Astral and the Ethereal, known as either the Shadow of Agathys or the Black Star.
    It functions as a finite demiplane containing a dungeon obeying non-euclidian rules, infused with negative energy. Its entry point moves, in a seemingly random pattern, between the lower planes where it appears as black sphere, with an oily surface, far up in the sky, held to the ground by titanic chains.
    It used to be ruled by middle-ranking yugoloths who used it as a planar prison on orders from whoever might pay enough to have a rival incarcerated for some time. Some time before the events of my game, a smarter than average Solamith with sorcerer class levels led an uprising inside to take control of the thing.
    ---
    In game, the party was thrown in, separated each one in their cell. Each started "naked", had to find their equipment and their allies, while surviving minotaur guards, demon jailers, undead and other prisoners. Lots of fun, and the players took the lesson to heart: isolated, PCs are a lot weaker than together.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

19. - Top - End - #499

MonkGirl

I know they grant Templars powers but... How close to a 'God' is a fully realized Sorcerer-King-Turned-Dragon (or Avagnion) if they got off of Athas somehow... Would they be setting up a Divine Realm? Getting shredded if they set foot in Sigil?

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

What was Gehenna like before the Yugoloths moved there?

Were Barghests and Vaporighus once much bigger players there?

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    I know they grant Templars powers but... How close to a 'God' is a fully realized Sorcerer-King-Turned-Dragon (or Avagnion) if they got off of Athas somehow...
    Not at all. The Lady would still probably murder them; beings that powerful are not typically welcome in the city simply because of the amount of disruption and damage they would be capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmosh View Post
    What was Gehenna like before the Yugoloths moved there?
    Unpleasant and volcano-y. Fewer crawling cities.

Were Barghests and Vaporighus once much bigger players there?
    Pfft, no.

22. - Top - End - #502

Not at all. The Lady would still probably murder them; beings that powerful are not typically welcome in the city simply because of the amount of disruption and damage they would be capable of.
    Not even close to DR 0?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Are beings with DvR 0 allowed into Sigil? If they are, and they did go, would anything happen as a result of their DvR that wouldn't happen to other beings who might be otherwise as or more powerful? If so, what would that be, or what sort of thing would that be?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Are beings with DvR 0 allowed into Sigil?
    Only under extreme circumstances.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any canon organisations of Assassins (the SRD prestige class) over the planes? Bonus point if they're based in Sigil (but it's not necessary).
    One player wants that class, proposals would be needed if he doesn't come up with interesting fluff for an organisation by himself.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Not even close to DR 0?
    No. The Dragon of Tyr is about as dangerous as a lesser demon lord, but out on the planes he's nowhere close to actual divinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Are beings with DvR 0 allowed into Sigil?
    I feel this has been answered before. Beings of divine rank 0 are not gods, but they're powerful enough that they would be extremely unwelcome.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Are there any canon organisations of Assassins (the SRD prestige class) over the planes?
    Oh, I would expect there are a few. Can't think of any offhand, though.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel this has been answered before. Beings of divine rank 0 are not gods, but they're powerful enough that they would be extremely unwelcome.
    I imagine so. Thank you.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Are there any canon organisations of Assassins (the SRD prestige class) over the planes? Bonus point if they're based in Sigil (but it's not necessary).
    One player wants that class, proposals would be needed if he doesn't come up with interesting fluff for an organisation by himself.
    There's one headquartered in Union, detailed in the Epic Level Handbook.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I would expect there are a few. Can't think of any offhand, though.
    Thanks. What about churches of various powers of murder?
    It seems Bhaal's would be the most likely to provide assassins for hire.
    Cyric and Rallaster look more like powers of bat**** crazy murdering, with the kind of followers no one (except other psychos) would feel comfortable hiring.
    Pyremius looks a bit... lame? I don't get much mileage out of him more than being the god of putting things on fire and poisoning your rivals.
    I guess Kali would be interesting, but I don't know much about her creed and followers in Planescape.
    Have I missed anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    There's one headquartered in Union, detailed in the Epic Level Handbook.
    Thank you! I haven't used Union in the game yet, and the power level is far below epic. It'd take too much work to get Union into the campaign now. Moreover, I don't like the flavor of Union that much, as it screams to my ears that it wants to be just like Sigil while failing utterly. Or maybe my problem is not so much with Union's fluff as a general distaste for Epic rules.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2015-09-03 at 03:54 AM. Reason: typo

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Do membership in Harmonium make Perform (Harmonium) a class skill?
    (Harmonium is either this or that)