New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail in the Playground [Interest Check and Discussion]

@Mahonri Violist: just a heads up that I had Nae engage Melissa in my most recent post. It was only a brief mention, so I'm making sure you saw.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Finally edited my post, so it's your turn, Duck.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123

Dorizzit:
    Thanks for the heads up. I would have almost-missed it (or, rather, I would have began typing out a post and then noticed it right before I pushed the "Submit" button, so I would have had to re-write it).
    So, thanks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Just to be clear, would Jiyuna be immediately recognizable by appearance, or is he in some kind of disguise?

5. - Top - End - #125

Jiyuna is entirely recognizable. He has sticky-uppy white hair, a black jacket, denim jeans, and a white shirt.
    However, is role in the civil war/destruction of Blue Sabre is shrouded in mystery.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post
    Jiyuna is entirely recognizable. He has sticky-uppy white hair, a black jacket, denim jeans, and a white shirt.
    However, is role in the civil war/destruction of Blue Sabre is shrouded in mystery.
    So Immer knows he was part of the guild, and that's all he needs to know to get aggressive.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    So Immer knows he was part of the guild, and that's all he needs to know to get aggressive.
    Didn't seem he was quite that way with Diego, but all's fair in love and war, so they say.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Didn't seem he was quite that way with Diego, but all's fair in love and war, so they say.
    He was kind of up-front with Diego, in a way.

Of course attacking a mage in his own guild hall even with a good reason is probably a bad idea.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    He was kind of up-front with Diego, in a way.

Of course attacking a mage in his own guild hall even with a good reason is probably a bad idea.
    Well, with Diego, he only kind of recognized him, which is why he went to the guild master. He only kind of recognized Jiyuna, so he got Diego.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Fair enough. If things get dicey, Jiyuna can always book it outta there.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

So since we're tracking the kids I kinda need to know. So the hounds can know.

Where are they?
    Save a show. Slay a Shipper.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember the last time a forum RP themed around this series was started. I hope this time is more succesful.

Anyways, I have two sorts of magic thought out that I'd like to use for a character. Healing magic (apparently) being lost gave me the idea:

Spoiler
    Show
    Identification magic

Identification allows the user to analyze and intuit mechanical information of an object. Its typical use is as an aid for architechture and engineering. It works best when applied to artificial, ie. man-made objects of moderate complexity, such as clocks, but a sufficiently skilled user can apply it to naturally occurring things as well, such as bodyparts of living creatures. Simple tools without moving parts of their own, such as knives, need to be grasped in order to be understood - they are, in a sense, "incomplete" without a hand to wield them. Moving things can usually be identified by sight, as long as essential components of the device are not obscured from sight. To give an example using a living creature, intuiting the function of an arm are easy, intuiting the function of a heart or other internal organs is very hard. Disassembly or dissection might be required for identifying such "hidden" functions. The good thing is, once an object has been identified, the caster can usually reassemble an object with ease. Well, non-living objects, at least.

Users of this magic are famed for a trance-like state they often enter when using this magic. Such a state is not, strictly speaking, necessary. It's just that using this magic tends to flood the conscious mind with information, so it's hard to focus on doing anything else at the same time. Higher level users can gain enhanced perception, such as microscopic vision for discerning tiny details.

Examples of what this magic can do:

• Easy uses: identifying the function and combat style of previously unseen tools and weapons, by grasping them.
    • Typical uses: identifying and understanding the function of previously unseen machinery by glancing at their interior; evaluating what methods were used to make a building.
    • Advanced uses: identifying pieces of broken or incomplete machinery and reverse-engineering a functional device from them; analyzing muculature of living creatures.
    • Challenging uses: identifying and understanding machinery with complex chemical or electronical components, such as internal organs of living beings.
    • Theoretically possible, but hasn't been done: identifying and understanding mechanical and chemical changes on a microscopic level, such as folding of proteins.

Tinker magic

Tinker magic, sometimes referred to as "housewife's magic", is a specialized form of telekinesis concerned with fabrication and precise manipulation of small objects. Typical uses include sewing, embroidery and polishing glass. It isn't meant for moving total masses in excess of one kilogram, or moving things further than one meter from the user. The lower limit, on the other hand, is only limited by sensory perception of the caster. Hence, sensory aids, such as magnifying glasses or other types of magic, are commonly used in concert with Tinkering. This magic also has a lot of artistic potential, as who wouldn't like a life-like sculpture of themselves no larger than a thumb? While Tinkering can't accelerate things greatly, it can apply a lot of pressure (crush) and alter temoerature of objects, making it useful for things such as soldering. Skilled users excel at multitasking.

Examples of what his magic can do:

Easy and typical uses: sewing, embroidery, stitching, writing, painting.
    Advanced uses: surgery, sculpting, handling dangerous chemicals, polishing lenses, soldering.
    Challenging uses: gemcutting, neurosurgery.
    Theoretically possible, but hasn't been done: altering composition of an object molecule-by-molecule; operating invidual cells or nerve clusters. (These require sensory aids.)

My idea is for a character who lacks ability for flashy, large-scale magic, like most attack spells in the series, and uses combination of really small-scale magic and mundane knowledge to get to a similar result in a very roundabout way. (Like, somewhere down the line, using a combination of Tinker and Identification to make things which pass for modern electronical devices and powered armor.) As you should guess from the examples, the character also ought to make a fairly good doctor once they learn proper medical knowledge.

What I'd like to know, though, is what other creatures than humans are there in the setting? I've only read a tiny piece of the manga, I'm not overly familiar with the setting. There are dragons, demons and Exceed, supposedly gods (is there any information on those?) and apparently giants (based on the suggestion of giant-slaying magic), but none of those suits my purposes well. Are there other planets or planes of existence, beyond Edolas? Would a character who literally fell out of the sky (basically alien from space) be too out of place?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

13. - Top - End - #133

So the kids are in the forest, in pretty deep. Actually, the three of them (and maybe two other children who are not from Oak Town) are in an abandoned and in-ruins tower deep in the forest.

I'm sure y'all can easily come up with difficulties and challenges for your characters and each other on the way there, so you can feel free to have them come up against whatever before then and I could justify it in the end pretty easily. Cultists from outside Oak Town, dark guild wizards, etc. If you make it too boring, though, I think I might have to spice things up in the end. (I was thinking, for simplicity's sake, having one of Lupta Salbatica's being the cause of it, especially since one of the reasons for their existence is being a convenient excuse for plots.)

So, really, any one of the four of Lupta Salbatica could be the cause, so I suppose I should choose one right now. How about Cearta, the Masked Fox? In that case, each of the five children are wearing white full masks and will be standing around an altar under her control. There'll probably be dark guild wizards (which any of you can control for whatever reason if you wish) wearing red-and-white masquerade masks.

So, yeah.

If someone wants me to control any of them besides Cearta and the kids, say so.

Frozen Feet:
    I don't remember there being aliens, but there are plenty of peoples and things that exist without any real explanation: animal-like people, talking giant owls, ghosts, celestial spirits, and there's also demons of every imaginable sort who come out of books. Aliens may exist, and I like your concept. The Identification Magic you've stated sounds fairly similar to the Archive magic that exists in the series and that two characters have had; it might be worth it to look it up for some inspiration in case you need any.

To answer your question, there is at least one other realm of existence, in-canon: the Celestial Spirit World, which is infinitely large and definitely space-themed, and may fit your concept of literally falling out of the heavens. The people there are definitely alien enough, and even though in general they are summoned by Celestial Spirit Wizards, there has been at least one character who can and has left there on his own power, becoming essentially his own wizard in the process. (He was also banished from that world near the very beginning of the series. That may also fit your concept, having your character been banished for one reason or another from that world.

There really isn't any information on gods, though, as far as I know. Near as I can tell, they just thought "Hey, we need something stronger than dragon-slaying magic. What's stronger than dragons? Oh! Gods. So let's have god-slaying magic with no lore behind it."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

For space themes, there's also Heavenly Body Magic, which involves summoning meteors and other astronomical objects and drawing upon the energy of stars and the like.

15. - Top - End - #135

Disciple, I think it's your turn at the Bakery...

Mahonri, would you like to make a post for Outside?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Oh.

Right. Yes.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Disciple, I think it's your turn at the Bakery...

Mahonri, would you like to make a post for Outside?
    I don't have anything to really post in that scene at the moment.

I guess Duck999 is up there? Diego doesn't really have anything to add to the Blue Sabre politic part of the conversation.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    I remember the last time a forum RP themed around this series was started. I hope this time is more succesful.

Anyways, I have two sorts of magic thought out that I'd like to use for a character. Healing magic (apparently) being lost gave me the idea:

Spoiler
    Show
    Identification magic

Identification allows the user to analyze and intuit mechanical information of an object. Its typical use is as an aid for architechture and engineering. It works best when applied to artificial, ie. man-made objects of moderate complexity, such as clocks, but a sufficiently skilled user can apply it to naturally occurring things as well, such as bodyparts of living creatures. Simple tools without moving parts of their own, such as knives, need to be grasped in order to be understood - they are, in a sense, "incomplete" without a hand to wield them. Moving things can usually be identified by sight, as long as essential components of the device are not obscured from sight. To give an example using a living creature, intuiting the function of an arm are easy, intuiting the function of a heart or other internal organs is very hard. Disassembly or dissection might be required for identifying such "hidden" functions. The good thing is, once an object has been identified, the caster can usually reassemble an object with ease. Well, non-living objects, at least.

Users of this magic are famed for a trance-like state they often enter when using this magic. Such a state is not, strictly speaking, necessary. It's just that using this magic tends to flood the conscious mind with information, so it's hard to focus on doing anything else at the same time. Higher level users can gain enhanced perception, such as microscopic vision for discerning tiny details.

Examples of what this magic can do:

• Easy uses: identifying the function and combat style of previously unseen tools and weapons, by grasping them.
    • Typical uses: identifying and understanding the function of previously unseen machinery by glancing at their interior; evaluating what methods were used to make a building.
    • Advanced uses: identifying pieces of broken or incomplete machinery and reverse-engineering a functional device from them; analyzing muculature of living creatures.
    • Challenging uses: identifying and understanding machinery with complex chemical or electronical components, such as internal organs of living beings.
    • Theoretically possible, but hasn't been done: identifying and understanding mechanical and chemical changes on a microscopic level, such as folding of proteins.

Tinker magic

Tinker magic, sometimes referred to as "housewife's magic", is a specialized form of telekinesis concerned with fabrication and precise manipulation of small objects. Typical uses include sewing, embroidery and polishing glass. It isn't meant for moving total masses in excess of one kilogram, or moving things further than one meter from the user. The lower limit, on the other hand, is only limited by sensory perception of the caster. Hence, sensory aids, such as magnifying glasses or other types of magic, are commonly used in concert with Tinkering. This magic also has a lot of artistic potential, as who wouldn't like a life-like sculpture of themselves no larger than a thumb? While Tinkering can't accelerate things greatly, it can apply a lot of pressure (crush) and alter temoerature of objects, making it useful for things such as soldering. Skilled users excel at multitasking.

Examples of what his magic can do:

Easy and typical uses: sewing, embroidery, stitching, writing, painting.
    Advanced uses: surgery, sculpting, handling dangerous chemicals, polishing lenses, soldering.
    Challenging uses: gemcutting, neurosurgery.
    Theoretically possible, but hasn't been done: altering composition of an object molecule-by-molecule; operating invidual cells or nerve clusters. (These require sensory aids.)

My idea is for a character who lacks ability for flashy, large-scale magic, like most attack spells in the series, and uses combination of really small-scale magic and mundane knowledge to get to a similar result in a very roundabout way. (Like, somewhere down the line, using a combination of Tinker and Identification to make things which pass for modern electronical devices and powered armor.) As you should guess from the examples, the character also ought to make a fairly good doctor once they learn proper medical knowledge.

What I'd like to know, though, is what other creatures than humans are there in the setting? I've only read a tiny piece of the manga, I'm not overly familiar with the setting. There are dragons, demons and Exceed, supposedly gods (is there any information on those?) and apparently giants (based on the suggestion of giant-slaying magic), but none of those suits my purposes well. Are there other planets or planes of existence, beyond Edolas? Would a character who literally fell out of the sky (basically alien from space) be too out of place?
    Hey Frozen! The answer is yes there is another plane other than Edolas but it's the Spirit Realm where the Zodiac Spirits come from. That's about as Alien from Space as you're probably going to get but there are at least two characters who are actually spirits who live like humans. What you're suggesting however sounds very much like something someone from Edolas would do.
    Last edited by Razade; 2015-06-21 at 12:55 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the pointers! I could definitely see Identification being related to or a subset of Archive magic. Celestial Body magic also sounds thematically appropriate and, along with Telekinesis proper, sounds like a sort of magic the character might learn to do or mimic via technology later on.

A question: does Edolas share the Celestial Spirit realm with Earth Land?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks for the pointers! I could definitely see Identification being related to or a subset of Archive magic. Celestial Body magic also sounds thematically appropriate and, along with Telekinesis proper, sounds like a sort of magic the character might learn to do or mimic via technology later on.

A question: does Edolas share the Celestial Spirit realm with Earth Land?
    I don't think so. Edolas is a parallel universe with no magic of its own, just magic items and energy stolen from the main world. Celestial Spirit Realm is where the summon spirits live. If anything, I guess Edolas would have "normal" parallel counterparts to the celestial spirits.

EDIT: Went ahead and posted for Diego.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2015-06-21 at 02:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there active trade or interaction going between Edolas and Earth Land?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Is there active trade or interaction going between Edolas and Earth Land?
    No, the two are completely cut off from one another save for some random portals that open up now and then.

23. - Top - End - #143

Duck999, Poking you to the Oakfarl Bakery.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Duck999, Poking you to the Oakfarl Bakery.
    Whoops, sorry
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Trying to work on the missing kids line, anyone still on that?
    Save a show. Slay a Shipper.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hey guys. So would new players be welcome here? I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on this fun.
    Oh and what is the ruling on Dragon Slayers?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Hey guys. So would new players be welcome here? I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on this fun.
    Oh and what is the ruling on Dragon Slayers?
    New players are always welcome and dragon slayers are fine, assuming they don't implode the setting/lore/plot/etc. I'm playing one myself, actually.
    Last edited by JohnTheSavage; 2015-06-29 at 05:00 AM.
    Just "John" is fine.

Credit to Edwin for the awesome orc avatar.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheSavage View Post
    New players are always welcome and dragon slayers are fine, assuming they don't implode the setting/lore/plot/etc. I'm playing one myself, actually.
    Yeah I just saw. It's a shame that it's a water dragon slayer though. I had a character that I could quickly modify in order to fit but I'll have to change his slayer type.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Considering there are dragon slayers whose powers come from artificial means like lachryma, I personally don't see a reason why we can't have two dragon slayers of the same type.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hrm, that's true. If it will fly with Savage I have no problem with it.