New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The most paranoia-inducing dungeon

Have the entrance to the dungeon be in a forest clearing. Don't have it pimped out with skulls and gothic architecture and whatever, that's overdone and cliché and won't frighten anybody. Just have a simple doorway leading down. Now here's where the creepy part starts. If there's someone with keen senses, like an elf, just nonchalantly tell them "It dawns on you after standing in the clearing for a few moments that you can no longer hear the wildlife, or even the wind." If there's someone with scent or something like that, just tell them "The air in this clearing smells odd. Or rather, doesn't smell odd. There's absolutely no smell whatsoever." And in the clearing, describe everything with a hint of oddness, almost like an uncanny valley sort of feel, but with landscape. The grass looks TOO much like grass, so much that there's something off about it. The ground is unnaturally flat, with no dents or crevices. The dimensions of the clearing feel odd and unnatural. The party druid might feel absolutely nothing instead of the normal spirits of nature or whatever they call it nowadays. They can still cast, they just don't feel the presence of nature in this clearing. How creepy is that idea?
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

One idea I have in mind for a dungeon that can drive somebody paranoid is a labyrinth of illusions!

Let me explain:

Say you have one giant labyrinth where the PCs have to maneuver through. But what makes this labyrinth so diabolical is that it is made up of real walls and illusions that look like other walls.

Just think of the possibilities you can have with this idea:

• The PCs can get lost forever in a maze where they can't tell the difference between fake walls and real walls, because everything looks the same!

• To make this more interesting, you can do the same with the flooring! Most of the flooring is there, while other flooring may be just an illusion, where any fool who steps through it will stumble into who-knows-what.

• Putting monsters into this complex labyrinth will make this even more interesting. Can you imagine the sheer terror of a monster suddenly "phasing" out through walls to get you?

• While we're at it, why not make illusions where several ways out of this labyrinth turn out to be illusions as well?

• Why should we limit ourselves to illusions? Why not make a wall, floor tile, or even an archway at an "exit" be mimics?

....... Do you think I'm going way too far with this idea?
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2015-06-11 at 02:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

Yes. And I like it.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    And if it's an old man, do not let him out of the dungeon. Certainly don't let him out of a cage.
    Nobody has ever imprisoned an old man in a dungeon. Unspeakable evils disguised as old men? They get locked in a dungeon every other Tuesday. Don't let them out.
    Don't let them into the dungeon either. It invariably holds some ancient artifact of (evil) power that they want to use for (evil) things.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am certainly going to use these ideas in a dungeon I think. I think my favourite is the dungeon stalking the players although for its appearance to remain the same and to build up the pattern of stalking you would need to remain in the same area/terrain type for some time.

I like the watching eye idea as well - I think that many players do not feel comfortable being watched.

The trouble with a lot of these places is that there is a need to populate them with challenges as well (probably monsters or people to fight). either they are unrelated to the causes of paranoia or they are by themselves very scary. It isn't paranoia if there is actually a Cabal of Liches in the dungeon. On the other hand you don't want it to be too anticlimactic. If you have people there they need a tie to the dungeon or at least can help explain its madness.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Its not a dungeon at all, but simply an overly bureaucratic level, most monsters are goblins in cubicles. There is a beholder demanding you go on a nice tour of how a dungeon is made, shouting "BEHOLD!" at every stop. In charge of it all is a wizard

If the party attacks them, they go through nine or so levels
    Gizmo Stien, Vigilante Scientist
    Avatar by the Great and Powerful DigoDragon

Nuzlocke Twitter feed @Poke_Trainer_J
    Watch as I suffer

7. - Top - End - #157
    Spamalot in the Playground

The party finds the dead and charred remains of one of their members. The ruined remains of the clothing/armor is different however. Later on in the dungeon the party finds some treasure and among the items is the very clothes/armor the dead PC was found in. No matter how hard they search, they never find the dead body again, and any part of the remains they stash in their bags/packs for later mysterious disappears.

I did this once and the party SWORE they were dealing with some kind of mad wizard in the dungeon. They never found one, but I think it's funny that no one thought that if there was a wizard, maybe it was an illusionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bard1cKnowledge View Post
    Its not a dungeon at all, but simply an overly bureaucratic level, most monsters are goblins in cubicles. There is a beholder demanding you go on a nice tour of how a dungeon is made, shouting "BEHOLD!" at every stop. In charge of it all is a wizard
    Maybe a bit more hilarious than paranoid to me, but I'd totally put this in an adventure regardless. :D
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    The party finds the dead and charred remains of one of their members. The ruined remains of the clothing/armor is different however. Later on in the dungeon the party finds some treasure and among the items is the very clothes/armor the dead PC was found in. No matter how hard they search, they never find the dead body again, and any part of the remains they stash in their bags/packs for later mysterious disappears.
    Very Doctor Who; I like it :3

Another fun thing to do is put a valuable object out in the open (double points if it's on a pedestal) in an otherwise empty room.
    Watch how many potential traps they try to disarm/prepare for.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Elandris Kajar View Post
    It turned out to be some idea he had come up with on the spot.
    Number one rule of DMing: NEVER let your players know you came up with things on the spot. They'll think you're a genius who plans out amazing things :P
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeburn View Post
    One idea I have in mind for a dungeon that can drive somebody paranoid is a labyrinth of illusions!

Let me explain:

Say you have one giant labyrinth where the PCs have to maneuver through. But what makes this labyrinth so diabolical is that it is made up of real walls and illusions that look like other walls.

Just think of the possibilities you can have with this idea:

• The PCs can get lost forever in a maze where they can't tell the difference between fake walls and real walls, because everything looks the same!

• To make this more interesting, you can do the same with the flooring! Most of the flooring is there, while other flooring may be just an illusion, where any fool who steps through it will stumble into who-knows-what.

• Putting monsters into this complex labyrinth will make this even more interesting. Can you imagine the sheer terror of a monster suddenly "phasing" out through walls to get you?

• While we're at it, why not make illusions where several ways out of this labyrinth turn out to be illusions as well?

• Why should we limit ourselves to illusions? Why not make a wall, floor tile, or even an archway at an "exit" be mimics?

....... Do you think I'm going way too far with this idea?

Illusory walls? 10ft poles and only make left turns. Illusory floor? 10ft pole. Illusory monster? (10ft) Polearm. Mimic? Polearm.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Illusory walls? 10ft poles and only make left turns. Illusory floor? 10ft pole. Illusory monster? (10ft) Polearm. Mimic? Polearm.
    When you say "polearm" with regards to the mimic, all I can envision is a giant 10 foot long arm ending in a hand being reached out to take stuff from the chest.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    When you say "polearm" with regards to the mimic, all I can envision is a giant 10 foot long arm ending in a hand being reached out to take stuff from the chest.
    I meant whack it real good with a reach weapon to see if it goes "Graaaargh!" and, if it does, whack it with the aforesaid reach weapon until it's dead. Although I've used polearms with the right kind of pointy bits, choppy bits, or smashy bits on the end to pick up objects too.

And now I want to add a Pole Arm to the List of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-06-13 at 06:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I meant whack it real good with a reach weapon to see if it goes "Graaaargh!" and, if it does, whack it with the aforesaid reach weapon until it's dead. Although I've used polearms with the right kind of pointy bits, choppy bits, or smashy bits on the end to pick up objects too.

And now I want to add a Pole Arm to the List of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    I know what you meant, but a 10 foot arm seemed infinitely more amusing. However, I do rather like the "Graaaargh!" test as well, when you put it that way.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I know what you meant, but a 10 foot arm seemed infinitely more amusing. However, I do rather like the "Graaaargh!" test as well, when you put it that way.
    I figured you knew, I just wanted an excuse to write that

I've used the "graaargh" test on practically every treasure chest I've ever encountered in an RPG, although I haven't had a name for it until now

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

A dungeon where all poles of 10 ft or more in length grow eyes and ears and start listening and watching you.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    A dungeon where all poles of 10 ft or more in length grow eyes and ears and start listening and watching you.
    Stab out the eyes and ears, continue to use them to prod the terrain and objects.

EDIT: Alternatively, make friends. They've saved your life before, after all, if you've lived past level three in AD&D.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2015-06-13 at 07:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Stab out the eyes and ears, continue to use them to prod the terrain and objects.
    New ones pop up, until the entire pole is destroyed.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

1. Have a system of narrow tunnels that the PC's can barely fit through.

2. Have a bunch of skinny, climby monsters that can scamper through the tunnels easily and have Sneak Attack or can grab you and yank you in.

3. Put at least two tunnel entrances in every room.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Hannon View Post

2. Have a bunch of skinny, climby monsters that can scamper through the tunnels easily and have Sneak Attack or can grab you and yank you in.

Add murderholes/arrowslits in the walls and grates to pour boiling oil through, too.

20. - Top - End - #170

Do you even need more than that to make PC's nervous?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

And there's how you make sure your dungeon actually contains a challenge rather than just anticlimactic paranoia -- the whole thing is run by kobolds with a cruel sense of humor.

22. - Top - End - #172

A bunch of werewolves sitting at a desk playing poker, they invite the PCs to play

Watch as I suffer

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bard1cKnowledge View Post
    A bunch of werewolves sitting at a desk playing poker, they invite the PCs to play
    While that would make me many things, paranoid would probably not be one of them. Nothing is more disarming than poker.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

These ideas are great.

This may just be me, but look at the illustration in Tomb of Horrors for the shaking room with the acidic curtains: in the corner is some statue or stuffed animal of a polar bear. Seems innocuous, right? Except that there's no mention of it (at least in 3.5) and it's tucked away in the back of the room, not disheveled like the rest of the room, and it is grinning! I even called this out in a story I wrote from the point of a party exploring the room. The party, a hobgoblin mage, human fighter, kobold rogue, Boccob priestess dressed only with the fake Acererak's cloak and ring, hobbit bard with a magic guitar, and a bratty drow sorceress, show up. The stout warrior begins flipping out at the sight of the thing, and the wizard says to leave. Then a the room shakes and a gnome merc gets melted by a curtain.

Also, mind flayers are obvious as the villains behind a paranoia dungeon (if cliche). A thread a while ago about either them or eldritch horror mentioned how a single illithid in charge of a complex could delude adventurers into thinking their whole life was traveling and dying horribly in the terrible complex, never seeing the amused captor. Say, go a few poorly lit rooms, until they reach a dead end. Let them search but find nothing. They open the door back up, and find a football-length sea of lava where once the passage was. Then, a door at the back that hadn't been there creaks open, leading into blackness with faint wails issuing forth. Then, magic gets weird. Be prepared for whimpers, people running away, or the sudden need to mop up your kitchen table chairs.
    Where's what's-her-name, the chick with the pigtails?
    Jirix: Tsukiko? She was here when the sewer team reported in...
    Anyone seen her since?
    Jirix: No.
    No.
    Demon Roaches: No. Nope.
    Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no.

25. - Top - End - #175

Put a dangerous trap in an obvious place once. Depending on preference, have it show up again in a less obvious spot or just sit in the back or the player's minds.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

26. - Top - End - #176

When they next visit a tavern, have an old man "have what they're having". He then has a heart attack later in the night.

Just like that, they'll be convinced someone is out to kill them!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    When they next visit a tavern, have an old man "have what they're having". He then has a heart attack later in the night.
    Just like that, they'll be convinced someone is out to kill them!
    I'd personally prefix this one with asking the players to make a Fortitude check before they enter the tavern, but not tell them why. Only continue with the scene as nothing is wrong. Yet.
    Occasional checks without context will get a player to wonder.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #178

The deeper you go, the more primitive the monsters become, eventually you start running into stone age eldritch horrors, or as I like to call them, neanderthralls

Watch as I suffer

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

What if the dungeon was alive?

What if the adventurers are wandering inside a primordial, a gargantuan animated statue, a slumbering ancient god who has been forgotten?

30. - Top - End - #180

When the Pc's enter a dungeon, their torches go out. No mundane attempt to relight them succeeds. If they use a magical source of light, an ear-splitting scream emits from deep inside the dungeon.