New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Bloodforge

Does the Graveblood Subtype make you susceptible to things such as Turn Undead?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded

Does Blinding Reflection (level 4 Mithral Current strike) blind before or after the attack? Logic suggests that the blind condition is applied after the attack but the fluff strongly suggests that the strike itself benefits from the blind caused by it.

Spoiler: Maneuver description for the reference
    Show
    Blinding Reflection
    Discipline: Mithral Current (Strike)
    Level: 4
    Prerequisites: One Mithral Current maneuver
    Initiation Action: 1 standard action
    Range: Melee attack
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous (see text)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
    Reflecting light off your blade like a pond bathed in moonlight, you temporarily blind an opponent and swiftly strike in the opening granted. Make a melee attack. If it hits, it deals weapon damage as normal plus an additional 6d6 points of damage. If you drew your weapon as part of this strike, a struck target must succeed at a Fortitude Save (DC 14 + your initiation modifier) or become blinded for 1 minute. If the target succeeds on their save, they are instead dazzled for one round. (emphasis mine)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dgrin View Post

Does Blinding Reflection (level 4 Mithral Current strike) blind before or after the attack? Logic suggests that the blind condition is applied after the attack but the fluff strongly suggests that the strike itself benefits from the blind caused by it.

Spoiler: Maneuver description for the reference
    Show
    Blinding Reflection
    Discipline: Mithral Current (Strike)
    Level: 4
    Prerequisites: One Mithral Current maneuver
    Initiation Action: 1 standard action
    Range: Melee attack
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instantaneous (see text)
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
    Reflecting light off your blade like a pond bathed in moonlight, you temporarily blind an opponent and swiftly strike in the opening granted. Make a melee attack. If it hits, it deals weapon damage as normal plus an additional 6d6 points of damage. If you drew your weapon as part of this strike, a struck target must succeed at a Fortitude Save (DC 14 + your initiation modifier) or become blinded for 1 minute. If the target succeeds on their save, they are instead dazzled for one round. (emphasis mine)
    A: Fluff is fluff is fluff is fluff. The blinding occurs after the attack.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If a Warlord has the feats spirited charge and martial charge, does the bonus damage from, say enraging strike, get tripled on a proper mounted charge?
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the_archduke View Post
    If a Warlord has the feats spirited charge and martial charge, does the bonus damage from, say enraging strike, get tripled on a proper mounted charge?
    A: No. Per the Systems and Use chapter of Path of War: Expanded:

When a martial disciple initiates a martial maneuver (strike or boost) during a mounted charge attack, the initiation of the maneuver overrides the damage bonuses that are sometimes gained (such as from the feat Spirited Charge or while wielding a lance) while performing this action. The initiator inflicts damage as if it were a normal attack while mounted and then the strike and/or boost’s additional damage and effects apply to the target. If the strike includes a charge attack component, the initiator’s mount forgoes its action this round and performs a full round action to facilitate the movement portion of the strike and may move up to twice its base movement speed as if it were charging. Apply the effects of the strike to the initiator’s attack at the end of this charge as normal. Martial counters and stances are unaffected by being mounted, and may be applied or used as normal.
    Relevant portion bolded for emphasis.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Was the topic of using martial stances outside of combat addressed somewhere, or is that going to be in PoW:E? Because there are certainly a few an initiator might want for out-of-combat reasons, such as getting scent from Running Hunter's Stance.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2015-11-24 at 10:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Was the topic of using martial stances outside of combat addressed somewhere, or is that going to be in PoW:E? Because there are certainly a few an initiator might want for out-of-combat reasons, such as getting scent from Running Hunter's Stance.
    A: Stances are useable outside of combat.

8. - Top - End - #428

Planetar

I was more referring to how does it work... Can one stay in a stance indefinitely? What happens if combat starts when one is using a stance outside of combat, etc.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I was more referring to how does it work... Can one stay in a stance indefinitely? What happens if combat starts when one is using a stance outside of combat, etc.
    A: I mean, it's nothing special.

Stance: A stance is a type of fighting method that you maintain from round to round. So long as you stay in a stance, you gain some benefit from it. A martial disciple who performs a kata and assumes a specific posture as he prepares to fight is using a stance.

A stance is initiated as a swift action. When you enter a stance, you immediately gain its benefit. You continue to gain the benefit of a typical stance as long as you remain in it. Some stances give you a benefit only when you meet certain conditions. A stance might grant a bonus when you move, or stand still, or if you attack a flat-footed opponent. You cannot enter a stance you are already in.

You can use a single swift action to end one stance and begin another, or you can choose to simply end your current stance without entering another. You continue to gain a stance's benefits until you switch to a new stance or end your current one. At the start of your turn, you might be in a stance that grants you a bonus on attack rolls. You could make your attacks gaining the stance's bonus then use a swift action to switch to a stance that gives you a bonus to AC.

Your stance ends if you are rendered helpless for any reason. If you later recover, a swift action must be used to initiate your stance once again. Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of fulfilling prerequisites for learning higher-level maneuvers or qualifying for prestige classes or feats.
    I bolded the relevant parts. Once you enter a stance, you're in that stance until you choose to end or change it or you are rendered helpless for any reason. If you're not in a stance, you need to spend a swift action to enter a stance. But as long as you're in the stance you continue to gain its benefits.

EDIT: By the way, I pulled that information from the Systems and Use chapter of Path of War in case you want to look it up yourself. It's also on d20pfsrd.

10. - Top - End - #430

Planetar

Alright, thanks! Good to know.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Can a character benefit from a stance while mounted?

Say a paladin takes Martial training 1 & 2 in Iron Tortoise and takes Stance of the Defending Shell. Would she be able to initiate the stance while mounted? If she initiates it while unmounted, would she maintain it after she mounts her horse?
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

12. - Top - End - #432
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by the_archduke View Post
    Can a character benefit from a stance while mounted?

Say a paladin takes Martial training 1 & 2 in Iron Tortoise and takes Stance of the Defending Shell. Would she be able to initiate the stance while mounted? If she initiates it while unmounted, would she maintain it after she mounts her horse?
    From PoW:E Systems and Use:

Maneuvers and Mounted Combat - When a martial disciple initiates a martial maneuver (strike or boost) during a mounted charge attack, the initiation of the maneuver overrides the damage bonuses that are sometimes gained (such as from the feat Spirited Charge or while wielding a lance) while performing this action. The initiator inflicts damage as if it were a normal attack while mounted and then the strike and/or boost’s additional damage and effects apply to the target. If the strike includes a charge attack component, the initiator’s mount forgoes its action this round and performs a full round action to facilitate the movement portion of the strike and may move up to twice its base movement speed as if it were charging. Apply the effects of the strike to the initiator’s attack at the end of this charge as normal. Martial counters and stances are unaffected by being mounted, and may be applied or used as normal.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Pixie in the Playground

re:Path of War

If a Stalker is using the Stalker Art Combat Precognition, which make opponents roll twice and take the worst attack roll do opponent also have to roll twice and take the worst roll to confirm a critical threat?

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Steelfist commando is really uncleanly worded on how many bonus feats they get. Normal Warlord gets bonus feats at level 1, 6, 10, 14 18. Steelist Commando replaces bonus feats at 1 and 10. They also get bonus feats at 1,6,10,14,18. Does this mean they get 2 feats at 6,14,18? Or perhaps they only get at 6,14,18? Getting one at each level makes the most sense to me, but there really is no way to interpret the wording that way that I can see. So which do they actually get? Also is it correct that Commando Prowess and the sneak attack part of Powerful Pugilist have no restriction to unarmed strike?
    Last edited by oyzar; 2015-11-28 at 01:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oyzar View Post
    Steelfist commando is really uncleanly worded on how many bonus feats they get. Normal Warlord gets bonus feats at level 1, 6, 10, 14 18. Steelist Commando replaces bonus feats at 1 and 10. They also get bonus feats at 1,6,10,14,18. Does this mean they get 2 feats at 6,14,18? Or perhaps they only get at 6,14,18? Getting one at each level makes the most sense to me, but there really is no way to interpret the wording that way that I can see. So which do they actually get?
    Your question here was already answered.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    He doesn't get the bonus feat at 1st level. He gets the Unarmed Strike stuff instead at 1st and 3rd level instead. His bonus feats are the same as vanilla warlord OR rogue talents.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2015-11-29 at 06:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War
    Battle Templar PrC-Bolstering Channel
    I presume that for classes without access to channel energy, this grants them the ability to recover a single maneuver as standard action if they didn't have it already, right?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Bloodforge

A Murk's Stress Sweat reads:

Stress Sweat (Ex): A murk sweats when stressed (such
    as during combat). This musky scent is powerful enough
    to temporarily destroy a creature’s sense of smell.
    Anyone fighting with the murk must make a Fortitude
    save (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + Constitution modifier)
    or be sickened for 1 minute. It is not possible to track a
    murk by scent for more than 1d4 minutes, after which
    the tracker cannot use its scent for 1d6 hours.

Emphasis mine.

• What consitutes anyone fighting with the murk? I feel like there should be a range limitation, at least. 15 feet? 30? 60? Threatening? Within melee reach? Adjacent?
    • The ability also ambiguously affects allies, since they are technically fighting with the murk.
    • There's no indication of when and how often they must make the save.

18. - Top - End - #438

Because I did not get a clear answer on the Pathfinder RAW Question thread, I am asking it here.

ULTIMATE PSIONICS

Are creatures immune/not-subject to ability damage immune/not-subject to ability burn? The reason I ask, is that ability burn is listed as a special type of ability damage, but I just want to be sure.

19. - Top - End - #439

RedSorcererGirl

If my character has Blight Fight and Signature Skill (Intimidate) and uses Grim Guard's Laughter on a cursed opponent, does the opponent take a -2 penalty to their save versus the Unchained Intimidate ability?
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

20. - Top - End - #440

Path Of War

Can archetypes that both modify the Disciplines ability, but exchange different disciplines, be taken together?
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2015-12-12 at 03:42 PM.
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    This is the Playground. We're a repository of D&D Knowledge. Kinda like the Library of Congress, but with more screaming about RAW vs. RAI.

21. - Top - End - #441

2nd level Tempest Gale counter: Deflecting Shot

In its entry it says "Range: 30 ft"

In the long text it says "You may initiate this counter in response to an attack being made against you or an ally within 30 feet." Does the "Range: 30 ft" apply only to this, or must the attacker also be within 30 ft?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidinah View Post

2nd level Tempest Gale counter: Deflecting Shot

In its entry it says "Range: 30 ft"

In the long text it says "You may initiate this counter in response to an attack being made against you or an ally within 30 feet." Does the "Range: 30 ft" apply only to this, or must the attacker also be within 30 ft?
    A: The "Range: 30 ft." text is meant to indicate the maximum distance the ally can be from the initiator in order for them to benefit from being the target of this counter.

23. - Top - End - #443

PirateGuy

path of war

solar wind 6th level manouver Twisting Wind Shot is an automatic critical. combined with 7th level Phantom Sunstorm is a lot of dmg. at least if the phantom sunstorm also maximises crit dmg.
    am i just shocked and is this not that bad or one of the examples of ridiculous dmg we can do with path of war?

edit for bonus question: Phantom Sunstorm works when used with a strike. does that mean it maximises all attacks made with Cascade of elemental wrath (EF lvl7)?
    Last edited by Swaoeaeieu; 2015-12-12 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    path of war

solar wind 6th level manouver Twisting Wind Shot is an automatic critical. combined with 7th level Phantom Sunstorm is a lot of dmg. at least if the phantom sunstorm also maximises crit dmg.
    am i just shocked and is this not that bad or one of the examples of ridiculous dmg we can do with path of war?

edit for bonus question: Phantom Sunstorm works when used with a strike. does that mean it maximises all attacks made with Cascade of elemental wrath (EF lvl7)?
    A-1: It's equivalent to hitting with (at most) 4 attacks at once. Archers and other ranged attack builds can regularly get up to 8 attacks on a full attack. Not all of them will hit, but with manyshot, rapid shot, haste and decent stats, you can probably get at least 1/2 of your attacks from a full attack to land. This means that unless you're using a firearm with a x4 crit modifier, one crit will do less damage than your full attack would deal. In addition, most of your damage is likely to come from flat bonuses instead of extra dice. Things like deadly aim, Dex to damage, enhancement bonuses, and other +number effects contribute most of your damage.

Take a Musket for example: It deals 1d12 damage and has a x4 crit. This means the musket deals 4d12 damage on a critical hit (before accounting for other factors), for an average of 26 damage. So using a swift action to double that gives you +26 damage over your basic attack, and that's the absolute highest you can get off of this combination. Meanwhile, Deadly Aim by itself gives you +8 damage at level 13 (the earliest this combo becomes available) and if you multiply that by 4 you're adding +32 damage. The damage multiplication from Deadly Aim would happen regardless of if you used Phantom Sunstorm or not.

Essentially, Twisting Wind + Phantom Sunstorm is an impressive nova attack that can do a lot of damage, but it's still probably less than a full attack would be, and maximizing the dice damage of the attack, while probably a worthwhile damage boost, is not going to tip the damage from strong to broken by itself. It still has to hit by itself, and can still only target one creature.

A-2: It would only multiply the damage of one of the attacks. The strike allows you to make a full attack, but each attack is a separate instance, and the boost could only affect one of them. This is noted by the "Range: One Ranged Attack" in the range entry for Phantom Sunstorm.

25. - Top - End - #445

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    A-1: It's equivalent to hitting with (at most) 4 attacks at once. Archers and other ranged attack builds can regularly get up to 8 attacks on a full attack. Not all of them will hit, but with manyshot, rapid shot, haste and decent stats, you can probably get at least 1/2 of your attacks from a full attack to land. This means that unless you're using a firearm with a x4 crit modifier, one crit will do less damage than your full attack would deal. In addition, most of your damage is likely to come from flat bonuses instead of extra dice. Things like deadly aim, Dex to damage, enhancement bonuses, and other +number effects contribute most of your damage.

Take a Musket for example: It deals 1d12 damage and has a x4 crit. This means the musket deals 4d12 damage on a critical hit (before accounting for other factors), for an average of 26 damage. So using a swift action to double that gives you +26 damage over your basic attack, and that's the absolute highest you can get off of this combination. Meanwhile, Deadly Aim by itself gives you +8 damage at level 13 (the earliest this combo becomes available) and if you multiply that by 4 you're adding +32 damage. The damage multiplication from Deadly Aim would happen regardless of if you used Phantom Sunstorm or not.

Essentially, Twisting Wind + Phantom Sunstorm is an impressive nova attack that can do a lot of damage, but it's still probably less than a full attack would be, and maximizing the dice damage of the attack, while probably a worthwhile damage boost, is not going to tip the damage from strong to broken by itself. It still has to hit by itself, and can still only target one creature.

A-2: It would only multiply the damage of one of the attacks. The strike allows you to make a full attack, but each attack is a separate instance, and the boost could only affect one of them. This is noted by the "Range: One Ranged Attack" in the range entry for Phantom Sunstorm.
    i thought as much, thanks for the confirmation.

but now i come to you with somewhat of a same question. once again regarding Cascade of Elemental Wrath. It has target one or more creatures. can it be used with ricochet shot class feature? it states it can be used on strikes with a single target, wich cascade can have. i sure hope it isnt, but the guys and me are looking at how rediculous our combos can get :)
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

but now i come to you with somewhat of a same question. once again regarding Cascade of Elemental Wrath. It has target one or more creatures. can it be used with ricochet shot class feature? it states it can be used on strikes with a single target, wich cascade can have. i sure hope it isnt, but the guys and me are looking at how rediculous our combos can get :)
    Which ricochet shot are you talking about?

27. - Top - End - #447

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Which ricochet shot are you talking about?
    the level 12 class feature of a gunsmoke mystic. lets you pay animus to initiate a strike against a second opponent.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A: The "one or more creatures" text prevents Cascade of Elemental Wrath from working with gunsmoke mystic's Ricochet Shot class feature, which only works with strikes that affect a single creature.

the level 12 class feature of a gunsmoke mystic. lets you pay animus to initiate a strike against a second opponent.
    The reason I asked for the clarification is because Ricochet Shot is also the name of a gunslinger deed and a spell. You mentioned class feature, but without indicating the class I had no way of being sure what exactly you were referring to. Remember, the more details you can give me about the information surrounding your question the better I can help you answer it.

29. - Top - End - #449

Some questions about the Ravenlord Harbinger's Sorrow's Shadow ability:

Do a Dark Messenger's ability scores change based on their size? And if so, does it use this table, this one, or something else entirely?

Can a Dark Messenger shift to sizes smaller than their largest? (I.e. shift to medium instead of large size at level 10.) As written, the Dark Messenger cannot assume any size but their largest.

Would any gear the Dark Messenger has increase in size with them? Not sure if there's a general rule for this sort of thing, since spells specifically call out gear.
    Last edited by ICN; 2015-12-18 at 07:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #450

Planetar

Question for the skills added in the Psionics books and Path of War: what category would they fall under in the Background Skills system?