New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    Most PoW abilities like this aren't class-locked unless otherwise specified. A Nightmare can channel a terror through any strike he initiates, regardless of its source. Similarly, warlords can Gambit using non-warlord maneuvers, Battle templar can quicken spells off of non-class strikes, and Zeal is granted from any successful strike.
    Just to clarify, can I use a Warlord Gambit to recover Nightmare maneuvers? Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

No, you cannot. A class' recovery only recovers its own maneuvers.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I guess that makes sense when you consider the Mystic. What about other maneuver-dependent effects, like gaining animus or Zeal?

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Three questions. First, I never got this answered:

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    How does Victory Gambit interact with nonlethal damage? If a foe has 20 hp left and 13 nonlethal damage, would a blow that does 8 damage trigger the gambit?
    Second, If I have two or more initiating classes, can I use maneuvers from one class to qualify for maneuvers from the second? If a Soulknife [War Soul] 3/ Zealot X, learned three Veiled Moon maneuvers from their War Soul levels, would they qualify to take Eclipsing Moon (an 8th level VM maneuver) when they hit IL 15?

Finally, The Discipline Blade Shapes lets me form a mind blade in the shape of any discipline weapon from any of my disciplines. What if I choose Unarmed Strike for a Broken Blade maneuver? Would it give me the Empowered Strikes of a Deadly Fist? If I get the Fool's Errand discipline, does that mean I can make any weapon (because FE treats all weapons as discipline weapons)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

PoW

I kinda remember a post from ErrantX sayin' that all the classes from the first book should have two good saves. Any update on that?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Pixie in the Playground

When one attacks with Argent Knight's Banner (or similar strikes) does the healing only happen if you hit? Or does it happen either way?

7. - Top - End - #847
    Orc in the Playground

A seventh level Myrmidon entering Fool's Errand Scholar can choose one combat feat and gain it, similar to Martial Flexibility. If that myrmidon selects Advanced Weapon Training (a combat feat without daily uses) to gain Item Mastery (a non-feat option without daily uses) to gain an Item Mastery Feat (a non-combat feat with daily uses,) does the restriction on combat feat uses all counting against Item Mastery's daily uses apply? Item mastery is not being selected by Fool's Errand Scholar and it is not a combat feat, which FES explicitly calls out as having the stacking daily uses.

Edit: similar question. Does selecting Advanced Weapon Training to get Warrior Spirit (a non-feat option with daily uses) also bypass the daily uses stacking text?

Spoiler: Fool’s Errand Scholar (Combat, Style)
    Show

Fool’s Errand Scholar (Combat)
    Your studies have taught you a wide variety of strategies.
    Prerequisites: Fool’s Errand Style, Climb 7 ranks.
    Benefit: When you activate Fool’s Errand Style, choose a combat feat you qualify for. You gain the benefit of that combat feat for as long as you maintaining Fool’s Errand Style. If a combat feat has a daily use limitation (such as Stunning Fist) or grants a resource (such as Extra Ki), any uses of that feat or its resource count towards that feat's limit, even if you regain the feat later. You can only gain a single feat using this ability per encounter; if you leave Fool’s Errand Style and activate it again, you regain the feat you chose the first time.

Spoiler: Advanced Weapon Training (Combat Feat)
    Show

You are specially trained to use your weapon skills in new ways.

Prerequisite(s): Fighter level 5th, weapon training class feature.

Benefit(s): Select one advanced weapon training option, applying it to one fighter weapon group you have already selected with the weapon training class feature.

Special: This feat can be taken more than once, but at most once per 5 fighter levels.

Special: Fighters that have the weapon master archetype (Snip)

Spoiler: Item Mastery (Advanced Weapon Training Option)
    Show

Item Mastery

Source Magic Tactics Toolbox pg. 10
    Training Link Link
    The fighter gains an item mastery feat (see pages 30–31 and pages 26–27 of Weapon Master’s Handbook) as a bonus feat, which functions with any magic weapon he wields, even if the magic weapon does not meet the feat’s normal requirements. He must meet all of the feat’s prerequisites.

Spoiler: Warrior Spirit (Su)
    Show

Source Magic Tactics Toolbox pg. 10

The fighter can forge a spiritual bond with a weapon that belongs to the associated weapon group, allowing him to unlock the weapon’s potential. Each day, he designates one such weapon and gains a number of points of spiritual energy equal to 1 + his weapon training bonus. While wielding this weapon, he can spend 1 point of spiritual energy to grant the weapon an enhancement bonus equal to his weapon training bonus. Enhancement bonuses gained by this advanced weapon training option stack with those of the weapon, to a maximum of +5.

The fighter can also imbue the weapon with any one weapon special ability with an equivalent enhancement bonus less than or equal to his maximum bonus by reducing the granted enhancement bonus by the amount of the equivalent enhancement bonus. The item must have an enhancement bonus of at least +1 (from the item itself or from warrior spirit) to gain a weapon special ability. In either case, these bonuses last for 1 minute.
    Last edited by Kitsuneymg; 2017-04-18 at 09:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    When one attacks with Argent Knight's Banner (or similar strikes) does the healing only happen if you hit? Or does it happen either way?
    All silver crane strikes and boosts that heal are conditional on that strike being successful.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Can Gunsmoke Mystics use their (in-class) maneuvers with firearm ranged attacks even if the maneuver in question calls for a melee attack?

10. - Top - End - #850

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Can Gunsmoke Mystics use their (in-class) maneuvers with firearm ranged attacks even if the maneuver in question calls for a melee attack?
    pretty sure the answer is no. Maneuvers that specify a melee attack can not be used at ranged. But if a maneuver needs an attack without specifying ranged or melee you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

11. - Top - End - #851

How integral is it to maneuver balance that a maneuver be either single or multi target and not both? I've noticed that this is fairly consistent across all maneuvers with the only exceptions I know of being vicious tempest volley, deadly dragon strike (both ninth level maneuvers in their respective disciplines), and eclipsing moon (an eighth level maneuver from a discipline that specializes in mobile attacking). I ask because I have a player who wants a home brew replacement for primal frenzy that allows him to either focus all of his attacks on a single target or divvy up attacks against multiple target depending on the situation. I feel like he's trying to make an overly versatile maneuver that basically gives him the in combat versatility of two maneuvers so I'm really tempted to just put my foot down and say no since I just plain don't trust him to understand or create a balanced option in the first place (I had to go through a day long marathon of rudely asserted, fallacious arguments and condescending impugnments of my competency just to get him to accept that the base version of primal frenzy is overpowered in the first place; I mean seriously he was going to build a natural attack harbinger that would be able to, at level 13, use the maneuver to deal out 250-300 damage to every enemy in reach as a standard action, potentially every round on account of the harbinger's refresh mechanic and that 250-300 figure not even including an assumption about how his swift action is used and I didn't even bother making a heavily optimized build to run those numbers off of so the final figure would probably be even higher, how does someone who can do math think this maneuver is balanced?) but I want to do my due diligence first and make sure I have an understanding of how important it is that maneuvers be either multi or single target.
    Last edited by Da Beast; 2017-04-23 at 02:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
    so I'm really tempted to just put my foot down and say no
    If I were to run a game with PoW allowed right now, I'd just flat-out ban primal fury, and replace broken blade with fool's errand.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
    but I want to do my due diligence first and make sure I have an understanding of how important it is that maneuvers be either multi or single target
    I think maneuvers with variable number of targets AND damage varying with number of targets are pretty hard to balance. There are maneuvers that hit one target multiple times or just add damage to full attacks, and maneuvers that hit all targets within reach once or twice. Surely your player can find something to his liking among these?
    Last edited by Nyaa; 2017-04-23 at 03:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #853

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    I think maneuvers with variable number of targets AND damage varying with number of targets are pretty hard to balance. There are maneuvers that hit one target multiple times or just add damage to full attacks, and maneuvers that hit all targets within reach once or twice. Surely your player can find something to his liking among these?
    My thoughts exactly, there is no balanced niche that his home brew maneuver would fill, it would just give him two maneuvers for the price of one. I've tried to point this out but he's deaf to arguments about why he shouldn't be able to do something. As for banning the entire discipline outright, I don't find most of it outside of the frenzy line to be that bad, but I will keep an eye on it. I'm also going to examine fool's errand which I haven't really looked into until now.

14. - Top - End - #854

RangerGuy

But the strong man is stronger when alone.

15. - Top - End - #855

Planetar

Path of War

The Battle Templar prerequisites have the following:

Maneuvers: Ability to use maneuvers from the Golden Lion or Iron Tortoise discipline, including at least one strike and one stance.
    This means that you must be able to use a Golden Lion or Iron Tortoise strike and stance, right?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Pixie in the Playground

Path of War

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the bonus fire damage from Phoenix Champion (and probably Solar Wind maneuvers) could be swapped to some other element of one's choosing. Could anybody point me to the source or was that homebrew?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhazal View Post
    Path of War

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the bonus fire damage from Phoenix Champion (and probably Solar Wind maneuvers) could be swapped to some other element of one's choosing. Could anybody point me to the source or was that homebrew?
    You're looking for the Variable Wind feat.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

18. - Top - End - #858

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhazal View Post
    Path of War

there is always a note in pow:e that if the dm allows it you can change solar wind to another elemental style. so all the maneuvers would do lightning or maybe cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Ultimate Psionics
    Ectopic Artisan Aegis-Astral Swarm

Disregarding the fact that the ability doesn't mention whether the Aegis controls the created swarms or not (which intuition tells me yes, but neither the archetype nor the creature entry specify), do they have a fixed duration, or a maximum limit on how many the Aegis can keep up at once?
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded, Roil Dancer

Would the adoption of the Overwhelming Soul archetype, which is compatible with Roil Dancer as far as I can tell, modify the Initiation Modifier of Roil Dancer maneuvers from Con to Charisma?

21. - Top - End - #861
    Firbolg in the Playground

It does, though many forms of magical flight let you hover so you won't necessarily crash to the ground. As for not having a save, it doesn't really need one. It's a root with no rider (you're not entangled, paralyzed, etc); it's potent but not overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

Path or War: If I have Discipline Focus for tow different disciplines, does the +2 bonus to discipline weapons stack? For example, if I took both DF: Primal Fury (which has axes, heavy blades and hammers as discipline weapons) and DF: Iron Tortoise (with discipline weapons of axes, heavy blades, and close weapons) do I get +4 damage to axes and heavy blades?

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As an effect never stacks with itself unless explicitly said otherwise, I don't think the feat stacks with itself.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

24. - Top - End - #864

Path or War: If I have Discipline Focus for tow different disciplines, does the +2 bonus to discipline weapons stack? For example, if I took both DF: Primal Fury (which has axes, heavy blades and hammers as discipline weapons) and DF: Iron Tortoise (with discipline weapons of axes, heavy blades, and close weapons) do I get +4 damage to axes and heavy blades?
    AFAICT, the damage bonuses would stack according to RAW, since it's untyped. If RAI differs from this, hopefully someone on the DSP team will let us know.

(As a sidenote, if you're mainly looking for damage bonuses, two feats for a total of +4 gives a pretty poor cost vs benefit ratio IMO.)

25. - Top - End - #865

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    As an effect never stacks with itself unless explicitly said otherwise, I don't think the feat stacks with itself.
    Good point. Although personally, I don't see it as a feat stacking with itself, as it's actually "Discipline Focus (Primal Fury)" plus "Discipline Focus (Iron Tortoise)". (And besides, I don't see how this reading would cause any balance issues.)

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A: They do not stack because the damage bonus comes from the same source. This isn't a case of two different feats, but rather the same feat being taken twice with two different sub-categories.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    A: They do not stack because the damage bonus comes from the same source. This isn't a case of two different feats, but rather the same feat being taken twice with two different sub-categories.
    Gotcha. So take DF: Fool's Errand if you want it for the damage half of the feat. Say no more.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Dwarf in the Playground

Code:
    Kinetic Blademaster (Su): At 1st level, a roil dancer
    gains kinetic blade as a bonus wild talent. He can use
    this wild talent as part of initiating martial maneuvers
    that use weapons (including counters that require him
    to make an attack roll), and reduces its burn cost by 1
    when doing so. If the maneuver allows the roil dancer
    to make attacks with multiple weapons (including by
    the Thrashing Dragon Pounce feat or similar effects), he
    may use the kinetic blade wild talent multiple times to
    create the appropriate amount of weapons (paying any
    burn costs as normal, and potentially creating kinetic
    blades that use different kinetic blasts if he wishes).
    Does this mean that the discount mentioned earlier applies to only the first weapon summoned as part of a two-weapon maneuver, or does the discount apply to each separately summoned blade?

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

The discount applies; the reminder text was meant to mean that infusions and blast costs (after all is said and done), are still paid.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Dwarf in the Playground

When a Roil Dancer uses their kinetic blademaster ability to make a ranged attack with their kinetic blade as if it was a thrown weapon, is it possible for them to combine this with the Extended Range form infusion?