New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Path of War/Archetype question:
    It came up in another thread that levels in a class that aren't normally an initiator and taking an initiating archetype limits you to strictly to the archetype initiator chart. but I had always assumed the chart was to indicate a classes slower progression and lack of maneuvers above 6. Am I wrong in having assumed all this time that initiator level was still tracked normally for these archetypes for the purposes of acquiring maneuvers and stances(half of levels in other classes + the initiating class in question)? Or do archetypes really get the short end here?

2. - Top - End - #992
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Air0r View Post
    It came up in another thread that levels in a class that aren't normally an initiator and taking an initiating archetype limits you to strictly to the archetype initiator chart. but I had always assumed the chart was to indicate a classes slower progression and lack of maneuvers above 6. Am I wrong in having assumed all this time that initiator level was still tracked normally for these archetypes for the purposes of acquiring maneuvers and stances(half of levels in other classes + the initiating class in question)? Or do archetypes really get the short end here?
    It's been oft-mentioned in the PoW threads: The maneuvers gained by virtue of Archetype Maneuver Progression are limited according to the table, but maneuvers from other sources (prestige class, Advanced Study) can be advanced with IL's normal limit, rather than the table limit.
    The future is bright.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are you asking whether"level" in table 5-1:Archetype Maneuver Progression refers to class level or initiator level?
    "The maneuvers gained by virtue of Archetype Maneuver Progression are limited according to the table"
    Not necessarily.The said table isn't part of class abilities...i think...which is why it might refer to initiator level.
    In any case,initiator level is tracked normally,but at worst you can't pick higher-level maneuvers anyways.
    Last edited by Draacul; 2017-09-18 at 04:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Bugbear in the Playground

The errata has clarified maneuver progression, and there are no murky or not yet explained related areas remaining AFAIK.

Let's say you're a 6th level character with levels only in the barbarian with the primal disciple archetype, and that you're now about to level up to 7th level. Should you take an additional level of barb, your barb IL would increase to 7 (just as if you only had levels in an initiator class), and your maneuver progression and max maneuver level would be set by the Table: Archetype Maneuver Progression. Meaning you'd gain one additional maneuver known and one additional stance of max 3rd level.

Should you instead take levels in a PoW PrC, your barb IL will increase normally, but you'd use the PrC's maneuver progression and you'd no longer be bound by the barb's max maneuver level. Instead, your max maneuver level would be dictated by your barb IL, just as it would've been dictated by say your warlord IL had you taken warlord levels instead of barb levels.

And should you have say 6 levels in the barb, then take 10 levels in a PoW Prc, and then take an additional level of barb at 17th character level, your maneuvers would still be set by you barb level, not IL, according to Table: Archetype Maneuver Progression. So for the purpose of determining the max maneuver level you may learn through the barb's maneuver progression when gaining that 7th level of barb, your PrC levels are irrelevant and you'd still be limited to max 3rd level. But should you also take the Advanced Study feat when gaining that 17th level, the max level of the maneuver(s) granted by that feat would be 9th, as determined by your barb IL.

Quote Originally Posted by Draacul View Post
    Are you asking whether"level" in table 5-1:Archetype Maneuver Progression refers to class level or initiator level?
    "The maneuvers gained by virtue of Archetype Maneuver Progression are limited according to the table"
    Not necessarily.The said table isn't part of class abilities...i think...which is why it might refer to initiator level.
    In any case,initiator level is tracked normally,but at worst you can't pick higher-level maneuvers anyways.
    It refers to class level, as explained by the Maneuvers feature of each such archetype (my emphasis):

"The [archetype name] learns additional maneuvers at higher levels, as indicated on Table: Archetype Maneuver Progression. The maximum level of maneuvers gained through [archetype name] levels is limited by those listed in that table as well, although this restriction does not apply to maneuvers added to his maneuvers known through other methods, such as prestige classes or the Advanced Study feat."

5. - Top - End - #995

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    The errata has clarified maneuver progression, and there are no murky or not yet explained related areas remaining AFAIK.

Let's say you're a 6th level character with levels only in the barbarian with the primal disciple archetype, and that you're now about to level up to 7th level. Should you take an additional level of barb, your barb IL would increase to 7 (just as if you only had levels in an initiator class), and your maneuver progression and max maneuver level would be set by the Table: Archetype Maneuver Progression. Meaning you'd gain one additional maneuver known and one additional stance of max 3rd level.

Should you instead take levels in a PoW PrC, your barb IL will increase normally, but you'd use the PrC's maneuver progression and you'd no longer be bound by the barb's max maneuver level. Instead, your max maneuver level would be dictated by your barb IL, just as it would've been dictated by say your warlord IL had you taken warlord levels instead of barb levels.

And should you have say 6 levels in the barb, then take 10 levels in a PoW Prc, and then take an additional level of barb at 17th character level, your maneuvers would still be set by you barb level, not IL, according to Table: Archetype Maneuver Progression. So for the purpose of determining the max maneuver level you may learn through the barb's maneuver progression when gaining that 7th level of barb, your PrC levels are irrelevant and you'd still be limited to max 3rd level. But should you also take the Advanced Study feat when gaining that 17th level, the max level of the maneuver(s) granted by that feat would be 9th, as determined by your barb IL.

It refers to class level, as explained by the Maneuvers feature of each such archetype (my emphasis):

"The [archetype name] learns additional maneuvers at higher levels, as indicated on Table: Archetype Maneuver Progression. The maximum level of maneuvers gained through [archetype name] levels is limited by those listed in that table as well, although this restriction does not apply to maneuvers added to his maneuvers known through other methods, such as prestige classes or the Advanced Study feat."
    I was asking more from the perspective of when multi-classing happens, though I think you may have answered that fairly solidly. this seems very odd to me, almost counterproductive to what I thought was their design paradigm.

6. - Top - End - #996

I was asking more from the perspective of when multi-classing happens, though I think you may have answered that fairly solidly. this seems very odd to me, almost counterproductive to what I thought was their design paradigm.
    I kinda agree. Considering the lower max level cap reduces power quite considerably anyways, I'd prefer that cap to be dependent on archetype IL instead. This would also make the archetypes conform better to the standard rules of initiator classes, the only difference being that archetype IL gives a lower max level cap on maneuvers granted by archetype levels. I definitely think the maneuver progression itself should otherwise remain level dependent though, just as it is for initiator classes.

And yeah, according to the current rules, multi-classing increases archetype IL normally, which unfortunately doesn't affect the max level cap of maneuvers granted by archetype levels in any way.

EDIT: Seems like a house rule easy and risk free to implement though. /EDIT
    Last edited by upho; 2017-09-19 at 07:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Hello to all.

Just a quick question. Can i enchant a gun with psionic weapon properties? Only want to make sure because the description of the Collision property.

Thanks a lot.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kashwak View Post
    Hello to all.

Just a quick question. Can i enchant a gun with psionic weapon properties? Only want to make sure because the description of the Collision property.

Thanks a lot.
    As you can see here, to make psionic weapons, you need the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat. If that's something you can do (I.e., you have a caster level or have the Master Craftsman feat), then you can totally use it to make a psionic weapon. Just note that unless you have someone who can manifest the approrpriate power, the DC to make the item goes up by 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Does the Ambush Hunter animal companion use the Non-Initiator Archetype Table for selecting its maneuvers?
    Does said Animal Companion have any way of retraining its Maneuver choices outside of death?

10. - Top - End - #1000

Quote Originally Posted by Giddonihah View Post
    Does the Ambush Hunter animal companion use the Non-Initiator Archetype Table for selecting its maneuvers?
    The rules are not clear on this. I would however believe it's a safe to assume the intent was they should follow that table. A word from the dev would be appreciated!

Does said Animal Companion have any way of retraining its Maneuver choices outside of death?
    RAW, I believe the AC can only retrain its maneuvers by using the retraining rules. And I wouldn't be surprised if this restricted retraining was intentional, since the AC has all maneuvers it knows readied at all times and may thus spam its highest level maneuvers anyways (provided its master can keep expending maneuvers, of course).

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just like the class that the animal companion is a class feature of, the animal companion uses the archetype maneuver progression table.

By RAW, the animal companion cannot retrain maneuvers except through the retraining rules.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick Psionic question:
    Does the Boost Construct feat allow the option of gaining two of a lower level Menu Option, like how the base Menu Options do? For example if I were a 7th level Shaper Psion with the Boost Construct feat, and decided to gain as many options as I could from Menu A, how many total options from Menu A would I have? My guess is either 5 or 6, hoping for 6 (Two from the base Menu B choice, two from the Menu B choice from Summoner's Call, and theoretically one or two from Boost Construct lowered to Menu A).
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

13. - Top - End - #1003

I'm currently making a Dex-based Warder (Zweihander Sentinel, Bushi) and I'm wondering - if you have Daisho Expertise, does it function as Weapon Finesse while using a Katana as an Armament Shield, or will I need to take Weapon Finesse as well?

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAsmadi View Post
    I'm currently making a Dex-based Warder (Zweihander Sentinel, Bushi) and I'm wondering - if you have Daisho Expertise, does it function as Weapon Finesse while using a Katana as an Armament Shield, or will I need to take Weapon Finesse as well?
    As long as you're wielding a katana or wakizashi you're good, even if you're using it as a shield.

15. - Top - End - #1005

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    As long as you're wielding a katana or wakizashi you're good, even if you're using it as a shield.
    In that case, would the shield damage get bumped up from 1d3 to 1d4?

16. - Top - End - #1006

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAsmadi View Post
    In that case, would the shield damage get bumped up from 1d3 to 1d4?
    RAW, no. Just as your shield damage won't increase if you decide to wield a greatsword instead of a longsword. IOW, note that armament shield damage is based on that of the light shield, not on that of whatever weapon you're holding, while DE increases the damage of the katana or wakizashi you're holding.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Thanks for the answer on my last Ambush Hunter question. I have another one.

I seem to have a hard time parsing the Pack Savagery ability with Golden Lion Boosts (Primal Fury seems pretty straight forward)
    I think it boils down to that I am unsure what it means by we both get the "benefits" of the boost.

1.Is this effectively both of us acting as if we individually activated the boost?
    2. Is the boost (performed by PC) activated by the Animal Companion immediately despite it not being their turn? Even if the AC is flatfooted still?
    3. Does only getting the 'benefits' once mean that you only get one 5 ft step from Circling Prey instead of two?

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    RAW, no. ... note that armament shield damage is based on that of the light shield, not on that of whatever weapon you're holding, while DE increases the damage of the katana or wakizashi you're holding.
    I'm not entirety certain that is correct.

• Armament Shield states: "the weapon is treated as a light shield for the purposes of performing a shield bash"
    • Daisho Expertise states: "Increase the damage die of katanas and wakizashi you wield by one die step." and "you may use your Dexterity ... when making attack rolls"

So, by treating it as a light shield do you STOP treating it like a Katana?

I believe in most cases of 'treated like x' the item is effectively both things. If its both things, then you do increase the dice size of the damage for the Shield Bash due to Daisho Expertise.

Now, if your take on things is that you do indeed stop treating it like a Katana, then you don't increase the damage, nor can you use Dex to hit with it.

I'm not sure there's a definitive way in which 'treated as' has ever been defined as working. I myself lean toward the 'both' interpretation.

19. - Top - End - #1009

Thanks for the answer on my last Ambush Hunter question. I have another one.

I seem to have a hard time parsing the Pack Savagery ability with Golden Lion Boosts (Primal Fury seems pretty straight forward)
    I think it boils down to that I am unsure what it means by we both get the "benefits" of the boost.

1.Is this effectively both of us acting as if we individually activated the boost?
    2. Is the boost (performed by PC) activated by the Animal Companion immediately despite it not being their turn? Even if the AC is flatfooted still?
    3. Does only getting the 'benefits' once mean that you only get one 5 ft step from Circling Prey instead of two?
    It means any primal fury or golden lion boost activated by either of you provides the benefits to both. If you boost pride movement, an ally adjacent to each of you and your AC get a free action move action. If the other allies are flat-footed, they are incapable of taking advantage of the movement. It doesn't matter if one of you is flat-footed for the purposes of the boost effects being applied, only possible actions that may be granted by the boost.

I'd say that circling the prey does not provide 2 5'-steps. Your AC isn't activating it a second time, they just work as a second source that only matters if they or other allies are outside the normal range of the boost. In any case, things don't stack with themselves. If you have Dodge, and an ally somehow gives you Dodge, your AC doesn't go up.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems like the better place to ask, as it's more active. Reposting my question from the DSP PoW:E Thread:

I encountered an odd contradiction in the Void Prophet archetype for the Zealot. Endless Hunger (gained at 3rd level) says that I may "...may attempt to add a creature who fails its saving throw against one of her strikes to her collective..." and if the strike does not normally allow for a save "...the creature must instead succeed at a Will save...", which is all fine and dandy, but then it states "The void prophet can only use this ability with strikes that allow a saving throw," which is a direct contradiction to the previous statement IMO.

I'm also seeking clarification that with Endless Hunger, strikes that target multiple creatures would require each one hit to make a saving throw, rather than just one of my choosing. In addition, would the above save benefit from the increased DC (+2, iirc?) of using a discipline weapon when activating a maneuver. For example, would activating Piercing Thunder and hitting one or both targets with it require the base DC (10+1/2 level+Init. Mod) or the boosted DC of a discipline weapon (10+1/2 level+Init. Mod+2)?
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

21. - Top - End - #1011

Chimera

Are there any plans of releasing Third Dawn campaign setting any time soon? or at least a races of third dawn series? that one has a lot you could draw from your old 3.5 Races of the Mind releases, but there are new races, and some things have changed (elan's coming from more than just humans and having a bit of a 'snatch you away in the middle of the night' feel is a good example).

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    This seems like the better place to ask, as it's more active. Reposting my question from the DSP PoW:E Thread:

I encountered an odd contradiction in the Void Prophet archetype for the Zealot. Endless Hunger (gained at 3rd level) says that I may "...may attempt to add a creature who fails its saving throw against one of her strikes to her collective..." and if the strike does not normally allow for a save "...the creature must instead succeed at a Will save...", which is all fine and dandy, but then it states "The void prophet can only use this ability with strikes that allow a saving throw," which is a direct contradiction to the previous statement IMO.

I'm also seeking clarification that with Endless Hunger, strikes that target multiple creatures would require each one hit to make a saving throw, rather than just one of my choosing. In addition, would the above save benefit from the increased DC (+2, iirc?) of using a discipline weapon when activating a maneuver. For example, would activating Piercing Thunder and hitting one or both targets with it require the base DC (10+1/2 level+Init. Mod) or the boosted DC of a discipline weapon (10+1/2 level+Init. Mod+2)?
    It's a failsafe against some of the strikes that allow a save, but can have it removed through other means. There are a few Sleeping Goddess Strikes that do this.

The maneuver allows a save so it's a legal choice, but that save can be removed, so text has to be included to cover that situation.

Endless hunger requires a save for each creature targeted, iirc. And if you are wielding the appropriate weapon you would get the +2 save DC bonus.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a failsafe against some of the strikes that allow a save, but can have it removed through other means. There are a few Sleeping Goddess Strikes that do this.

The maneuver allows a save so it's a legal choice, but that save can be removed, so text has to be included to cover that situation.

Endless hunger requires a save for each creature targeted, iirc. And if you are wielding the appropriate weapon you would get the +2 save DC bonus.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

24. - Top - End - #1014

Daemon

I have a question that's mostly about thematics rather than mechanics.

Which discipline best matches a theme of "darkness" (not evil, but the same darkness that Mystics use for the darkness glyph)? On a similar note, which one best matches illumination?

For the first one, I'm thinking Veiled Moon or Cursed Razor, and for the latter, I'm thinking Solar Wind or Radiant Dawn, but can't decide between them.

I'm mainly just trying to get a discipline for each glyph (the four elemental ones are Elemental Flux and the metal one is Steel Serpent).

EDIT: Also I swear there was a feat that allowed me to substitute Animus for PP and Essence but I can't find it.
    Last edited by Wartex1; 2017-10-06 at 10:02 AM.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    I have a question that's mostly about thematics rather than mechanics.

Which discipline best matches a theme of "darkness" (not evil, but the same darkness that Mystics use for the darkness glyph)? On a similar note, which one best matches illumination?

For the first one, I'm thinking Veiled Moon or Cursed Razor, and for the latter, I'm thinking Solar Wind or Radiant Dawn, but can't decide between them.

I'm mainly just trying to get a discipline for each glyph (the four elemental ones are Elemental Flux and the metal one is Steel Serpent).

EDIT: Also I swear there was a feat that allowed me to substitute Animus for PP and Essence but I can't find it.
    You want the fear awakened animus for PP. There isn't one for essence afaik.

As for thematics... Veiled Moon is stealth based so I guess that flies for darkness ( although I always saw it as purple). Solar Wind is fire, not light. You want Radiant Dawn or Silver Crane I suppose. Mechanically, silver crane offers some similar benefits with its perception based stuff. But Darkness, Metal and Illumination aren't intended to have those kind of ties.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler: Awakened Blade: Path of the Warrior
    Show
    Path of the Warrior

The awakened blade’s trip along the Path of War is one of constant devotion, and for those with a focused aptitude in the field of war with the psionic arts, their discipline is rewarded.

If the character possesses levels in psychic warrior, then he adds his class level to his psychic warrior level for the purposes of determining the trance and maneuver abilities of his path abilities. If the character possessed levels in the soulknife base class, then the awakened blade counts all levels in this class as +1 to existing manifester level with regards to a soulknife’s mind blade enhancement bonus.

1.Does a Soulknife need to be at least 3rd level where he gains the Enhanced Mindlade class feature to take advantage of the AB Path of the Warrior class feature? Or is one level of Soulknife sufficient?

2. Similary does a PsyWarrior need to be at least 3rd level where he gains the
    Spoiler: Expanded Path
    Show
    Expanded Path

At 3rd level, the psychic warrior expands his understanding of his chosen path. From this point on, he can use the Trance and Maneuver associated with his chosen path.
    class feature to take advantage of the AB Path of the Warrior class feature? Or is one level of PsyWarrior sufficient?

3.For a multiclassed character with one level of Soulknife and one level of PsyWarrior and 5 levels of AB, will AB's Path of the Warrior progressBOTH abilities so that the character has a Mindblade AND the Trance and Manuevers =to 6th level Soulknife and 6th level PsyWarrior?

27. - Top - End - #1017

Quote Originally Posted by Sorek View Post
    Spoiler: Awakened Blade: Path of the Warrior
    Show
    Path of the Warrior

The awakened blade’s trip along the Path of War is one of constant devotion, and for those with a focused aptitude in the field of war with the psionic arts, their discipline is rewarded.

If the character possesses levels in psychic warrior, then he adds his class level to his psychic warrior level for the purposes of determining the trance and maneuver abilities of his path abilities. If the character possessed levels in the soulknife base class, then the awakened blade counts all levels in this class as +1 to existing manifester level with regards to a soulknife’s mind blade enhancement bonus.

1.Does a Soulknife need to be at least 3rd level where he gains the Enhanced Mindlade class feature to take advantage of the AB Path of the Warrior class feature? Or is one level of Soulknife sufficient?

2. Similary does a PsyWarrior need to be at least 3rd level where he gains the
    Spoiler: Expanded Path
    Show
    Expanded Path

At 3rd level, the psychic warrior expands his understanding of his chosen path. From this point on, he can use the Trance and Maneuver associated with his chosen path.
    class feature to take advantage of the AB Path of the Warrior class feature? Or is one level of PsyWarrior sufficient?

3.For a multiclassed character with one level of Soulknife and one level of PsyWarrior and 5 levels of AB, will AB's Path of the Warrior progressBOTH abilities so that the character has a Mindblade AND the Trance and Manuevers =to 6th level Soulknife and 6th level PsyWarrior?
    By RAW, no. AB will not advance either of these features until they are unlocked.

However, you cannot possibly have a psywar 1/soulknife 1/AB 5, so it probably isn't actually going to come up in the way you think.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by exelsisxax View Post
    By RAW, no. AB will not advance either of these features until they are unlocked.

However, you cannot possibly have a psywar 1/soulknife 1/AB 5, so it probably isn't actually going to come up in the way you think.
    the " psywar 1/soulknife 1/AB 5" was a bad example

my actual character is a psywar 2/soulknife 2/ stalker 2. I'm looking to prestige into Awakened Blade at 7th level and trying to figure out if I need to take a 3rd level of Soulknife and Psywar to allow AB's Path of the Warrior feature to progress the SK's Mindblade and the Psywars Trance and Maneuver

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You can't advance a class feature you don't possess.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Pixie in the Playground

You can't advance a class feature you don't possess.
    Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated