New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: CTP's Unchained Rogue Mini-Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    What relative squishiness? You're going to have 1-2 less HP than a fighter but the same or higher AC. Seems kind of negligible. Damage is kind of an issue, because SA isn't even keeping up with a standard attack from a greatsword, but in terms of squishiness you shouldn't be that far off anyone else.
    I've chosen to avoid armor check penalties, so I'm not using the best armor until I can afford masterwork versions. I've got decent hp compared to other party members, but it's level 1 we're talking about. You're basically at the mercy of the dice gods; a solid hit or an unlucky critical will take you out in a heartbeat, and the party healer only has 4 spell slots a day. I've already dropped unconscious twice.

We're about to pool in for a wand of CLW, which should hopefully take the edge off, but it's still really touch-and-go

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wouldn't say that's a rogue specific problem though so much as it's a level 1 problem. You're at a point where HP and two handed weapon damage dice are nearly the same. Literally everyone dies in two attacks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    I wouldn't say that's a rogue specific problem though so much as it's a level 1 problem. You're at a point where HP and two handed weapon damage dice are nearly the same. Literally everyone dies in two attacks.
    Precisely.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that it's difficult to really judge the unchained rogue in-play until I get out of the fragility of levels 1-2(-3?).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CockroachTeaParty View Post
    I've chosen to avoid armor check penalties, so I'm not using the best armor until I can afford masterwork versions. I've got decent hp compared to other party members, but it's level 1 we're talking about. You're basically at the mercy of the dice gods; a solid hit or an unlucky critical will take you out in a heartbeat, and the party healer only has 4 spell slots a day. I've already dropped unconscious twice.

We're about to pool in for a wand of CLW, which should hopefully take the edge off, but it's still really touch-and-go
    As you said: This is level 1 and practically no class has anything special going at that level or is able to have any interesting synergies. Nothing to be done about it besides shelling out the 25p and buying a Guard Dog with your starting equipment.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

My level 1 fighters have 19 AC and 16HP

Really doubt the rogue isn't relatively squishy.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhedyn View Post
    My level 1 fighters have 19 AC and 16HP

Really doubt the rogue isn't relatively squishy.
    I think that "Rogue Squishiness" has a very different root cause, one of the main components here being DEX/AC as the primary defense against physical attacks. The second part is too much pre-planning, especially in regards to more elaborate feat chains. The last part being that FCB seldom goes to hp if other, better looking options, like bonus tricks are available.

For example, a Dex18/Con14 dwarf rogue with a chain shirt and buckler and Toughness feat starts out with AC 19 and 14HP, being very close to your Fighter. But sure, that´s amongst the least attraktive options as Toughness mostly doesn´t fit in with Rogue builds and Dwarf is not the best bonus-giving race.