New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Matter scyfy series

A new episode appears. Like the last one, I really liked it.

Spoiler: S2E9 - Going Out Fighting
    Show
    Four and Nyx is now a thing. That was the shortest lived secret ever. Even Three picked up on it almost immediately.

The scene where the rest of the crew stepped up to go on a dangerous mission to help Two, and how she nearly had tears in her eyes from it was very touching, I thought. Even the stoic Four was all in. Speaking of which, when they thought she had died at the end there, Four looked downright devastated over it. It's the little things like that I appreciate. Four may act stoic, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Always great to see Wil Wheaton back as Alex Rook. Such a bastard. I have the feeling he enjoys that role. Sometimes it's fun to play the bad guy, especially one that's always a step ahead of the heroes and always manages to escape intact. But what the hell was that Lovecraftian horror he infected Three with? Some dark arts **** right there. Reminded me of the 'black cancer' from X-Files. (By the way, was that what Milo meant when he said they would be betrayed by one of their own again? Probably not, since he didn't get a chance to do anything, at least as far as we know.)

In a way, I'm surprised that Three's possession was discovered and dealt with so quickly. I mean, I'm glad it worked out that way. An entire episode watching Three acting strangely and nobody picking up on it until the end would have been a bit tiresome. I wasn't expecting it, though. I think that whole bit was just to sort of show the audience how messed up Dwarfstar Technologies really is. I guess they're more into just artificial humans and personal shields.

Android remains adorable and is becoming more human. The scene with the hot chocolate was funny, but the look she had on her face as she was walking away suggests that she was lying to Five to make her feel better. Well, Two did tell her that is what a friend does. But what was that scene with her in bed at the end, a dream? Do androids dream of electric sheep?

The revelation that the Marauder can be equipped with the blink drive should lead to some interesting developments, I'd imagine.

I also liked the scene at the end between Three and Six, about how tiresome it is that Six keeps saving Three's life. I think that was Three's way of acknowledging that he's dropping the grudge and has forgiven him.

Only four episodes left this season!
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2016-08-27 at 01:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I like that Three's possession was a short story arc. It adds a bit of verisimilitude that not every complication or issue needs to be resolved taking an entire episode. It was also good job showing the difference between possessed Three and non-possessed Three. Possessed Three was immediately upset and self-absorbed upon waking in the cell. Non-possessed Three was only concerned about Two's welfare upon waking in the cell, and it took a moment for him to realize where he was. No one mentioned the difference, so I think it was left to the audience to recognize.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but reflecting how Mirror Two and Mirror Three had a relationship just after Three was let out of the cell and they were looking at each other, that would have been the moment to realize they have affection for each other but it didn't play out that way. First season they had a failed friends with benefits thing attempt, but now there is potential for a real thing. For now it's just Honest True friendship.

Three was hero this episode, along with Four and Six. The writers are capable of doing it. I wish they would stop it already with the humiliation. I'm counting the possession as a legitimate plot device.
    Last edited by Pex; 2016-08-27 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I jokingly referred to the creature as a Goa'uld, but the black oil from the X-Files seems more appropriate.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the creature is tied into the whole reason that Two was created. We know from Season 1 that Alex Rook answers to someone, but now I wonder if his boss is actually some Thing. Said boss was apparently interested in taking over a new body, after all.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

The male super soldier was allowed to defeat Two and Nix because he's the villain or more accurately working for the villain. The danger he represents manifests by defeating the female heroes. It's only the male heroes who may never defeat females, villain or not. Male villains defeat female heroes a lot because they're Evil. It had to be Two because of Plot. It also had to be Nix and not anyone else to reinforce the threat beyond just Plot. It couldn't be Three because he'll lose to a female sloth. Four only loses when his loss directs the story. Six is the Wobie so any fight he is in is just because that's the story and his victory/defeat is irrelevant unless it's a Major Show Point, like the season 1 finale. Android is defeated by contrivance* because she's in the way of the story to develop, and Five only fights for the aha Surprise! moments.

*In the previous episode Android being made to shut down because Five was threatened I count as a legit smart villain move, not writer fiat.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

He defeated Two and Nyx because he was a more advanced super solider than Two. Really, Pex, you're reading too much into this stuff, and you're coming off like some creepy MRA.

On a happy note, Dark Matter got renewed for a third season! Huzzah!

http://tvline.com/2016/09/01/killjoys-renewed-season-3-dark-matter/
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-01 at 03:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    He defeated Two and Nyx because he was a more advanced super solider than Two. Really, Pex, you're reading too much into this stuff, and you're coming off like some creepy MRA.

http://tvline.com/2016/09/01/killjoy...3-dark-matter/
    Spoiler
    Show
    But he was very allergic to Four's swift response!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

I just rushed here to say the same thing. And the season isn't even over yet, so that's good news. (I remember when the first season ended we had to wait some time for an official announcement, which was worrying).

Oh, yeah, and Killjoys was renewed too, for those of you who enjoy it, as well.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    But he was very allergic to Four's swift response!
    I guess his weakness was bullets to the face. It's a common Achilles' heel.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-01 at 04:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

http://tvline.com/2016/09/01/killjoy...3-dark-matter/
    He defeated Two because he's more advanced. Nyx was the reinforcement of the threat. Why wasn't it Four who went to rescue Two and Nyx to rescue Three and Six? Why wasn't Three allowed to save Two from the Mirror-Raza female crewmember so that Mirror-Android could do it? Why wasn't Four allowed to defeat the female bounty hunter so that Five could come out of nowhere to shoot her?

This theme I go on about is not just this episode or this series. It's every tv show and movie. Agents of Shield - Coulson defeated by Agent 13 just so May can defeat her. Gotham - Female Elite Cop Recruit was shown outboxing a larger stronger male but the Male Elite Cop Recruits just had their credentials narrated. Deadpool - Colossus defeated by Female Lieutenant Bad Guy after a drawn out fight but Female Sidekick defeats her in one shot. Captain America Civil War - only Scarlet Witch can defeat Black Widow. Tv sit-coms: every time it's boys vs. girls in something, the girls win. I can name only one exception, and I still remember it because it was the first and only time I've ever seen the boys win on a sit-com since childhood - Friends, Joey and Chandler defeat Monica and Rachel in a trivia contest about knowing each other.

Obviously I have not watched every tv episode of everything nor every movie. Maybe the boys win a contest somewhere. Maybe the male protagonist defeats his female opponent in a sparring match. However, it happens rare enough it's the exception that proves the rule. The only time non-villain males can defeat females in Hollywood is when it's real life, i.e. game and reality shows.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    He defeated Two because he's more advanced. Nyx was the reinforcement of the threat. Why wasn't it Four who went to rescue Two and Nyx to rescue Three and Six?
    Uh, Four did rescue Three and Six. Did you not watch the episode? He got them out of their cell and THEN took down the super-solider.

Also, Teenage Negasonic Warhead actually hit Angel Dust twice. And Colossus was only losing that fight because of his modesty. (He covered his eyes to let Angel adjust her top.)

And the Winter Solider defeated the Black Widow in Captain America: The Winter Solider. Twice, technically.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, Four did rescue Three and Six. Did you not watch the episode? He got them out of their cell and THEN took down the super-solider.

Also, Teenage Negasonic Warhead actually hit Angel Dust twice. And Colossus was only losing that fight because of his modesty. (He covered his eyes to let Angel adjust her top.)

And the Winter Solider defeated the Black Widow in Captain America: The Winter Solider. Twice, technically.
    I know that. Reread what I wrote. My rhetorical question was why wasn't Four the one to rescue Two and Nyx rescue Three and Six. The answer is because it was necessary for the male supersoldier to defeat a female to show the threat the Villain represents. That is the only way a male character can defeat a female, to generate dislike for the Villain. Colossus still lost the fight, and in fact her taken advantage of his modesty and hit him in the crotch for the defeating blow reinforces my point. Winter Soldier was the villain until his redemption to the audience so of course he was allowed to defeat Black Widow.

Edit: I will acquiesce in Avengers Ultron Hawkeye defeated Scarlet Witch. It was an injoke due to being mind controlled by Loki in the previous Avengers movie, but yes, a male protagonist did defeat a female for once.
    Last edited by Pex; 2016-09-02 at 07:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

I mostly try and ignore Pex and his constant cries of misandry, but it is getting rather tiresome. First of all, don't call them 'females.' You sound like a Ferengi. Second of all, nobody else but you seems to care. And the show isn't likely to start catering to your whims (which at this point, I assume would just be Three beating the crap out of Two and Nyx every episode). So either accept that and enjoy the show for what it is or just stop watching it. Either way, let it go.

Now, on to the new episode:

Spoiler: S2E10 - Take the Shot
    Show
    An Android-centered episode? Yes, please! So it turns out that Android can dream, but of things much more interesting than electric sheep ("It was okay..." ).

Not everyone is having good dreams, though. At first I thought that Android was responsible, but not intentionally--that whatever program that was allowing her to dream was seeping into the ship's systems and affecting the others through the neural link. When the hologram started insisting they destroy Android, I started getting suspicious that she was behind it somehow, though.

Not a lot of action in this episode, but plenty of character development, which I love. Best line of the episode was Android's "...which indicates you don't know what you are talking about," to the hologram. XD

Then at the end, it turns out Four didn't delete his neural link (which I saw coming after his hallucination). If he tries to reintegrate his old memories again, it's unclear what sort of effect that will have on his personality.

Only three episodes left!. Glad to know it will have a third season.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It was a pretty good episode! Very tense!

Spoiler
    Show
    I initially thought it was the Seers somehow projecting psychic hallucinations at the crew. I know that's not technically their schtick, but maybe they figured it out somehow. But no, it was alternate reality Truffaut.

I wonder what the deal was with those creepy masked goons. They worked for Rook obviously, but the other Dwarfstar employees didn't wear masks. Does this company specialize exclusively in horror?

I heard next week will be a double showing of episodes now that Killjoys' season is wrapped.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-03 at 12:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Fun fact: Ellen Wong, who plays Misaki, was also Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Fun fact: Ellen Wong, who plays Misaki, was also Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
    That was her? Wow, I didn't recognize her at all.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I mostly try and ignore Pex and his constant cries of misandry, but it is getting rather tiresome. First of all, don't call them 'females.' You sound like a Ferengi. Second of all, nobody else but you seems to care. And the show isn't likely to start catering to your whims (which at this point, I assume would just be Three beating the crap out of Two and Nyx every episode). So either accept that and enjoy the show for what it is or just stop watching it. Either way, let it go.
    I don't need your approval.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So what if they didn't follow those tropes?
    Would that change anything?

Will they use that Blink drive to explain away a crossover with Killjoys?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Will they use that Blink drive to explain away a crossover with Killjoys?
    I've heard some fans already believe the two shows take place in the same universe.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I kinda hope not, mostly because I have no clue what's happening on Killjoys. Are they even working as bounty hunters anymore?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-03 at 04:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking the virus came from the Android Liberation Movement via the human-upgrade they gave Android. Show Android the crew was willing to kill her and she'll leave the Raza to join them. The Boyfriend in the dream would be the Virus itself. However, since Five did trace the origin of the virus as not coming from Android herself then Five's theory just might be it.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking the virus came from the Android Liberation Movement via the human-upgrade they gave Android. Show Android the crew was willing to kill her and she'll leave the Raza to join them. The Boyfriend in the dream would be the Virus itself. However, since Five did trace the origin of the virus as not coming from Android herself then Five's theory just might be it.
    I suspect it was the hitchhiker myself (but there is no reason it couldn't be the Androids that I noted).

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

New episode!

Spoiler: S2E11 - Wish I'd Spaced You When I Had the Chance
    Show
    This episode mostly centered on Five and Three as they were separated from the group. Three showed he's actually fairly competent in the wilderness, although terrible at math (the guy warned him there were five brothers and Three only took care of four of them; he should not have been surprised when the fifth showed up).

It was a nice development of Three and Five's relationship. But there was character development for the others, too. I like how they aren't telegraphing Four's development. Nobody lampshades it or brings it up, but it's apparent anyway. I mentioned before the look on his face when he thought Two was dead. In this episode, it was much more obvious. He was making jokes and playing games with Nyx and Two. Most likely this is done because he wants to download his old memories, and it will likely cause him to change his personality (probably not in a good way, either).

It's too bad they can't just convert the neural link to some kind of text format. Let him read the information he wants without actually remembering any of it. Then he could figure out who he could trust without the risk of turning back into a monster. That's probably not feasible, though. I imagine there's a lot of code to sift through in something like that.

What did you all think about Six's idea of them basically becoming heroes at the end? It they do it, it would certainly make season three an interesting change of pace.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Double episode, actually. Both 11 and 12 aired together. And you need to watch the second one too if you haven't already.

Spoiler: 11
    Show
    A filler episode with no general plot development, like the one before it, but I liked it nonetheless. Loved Three here, he doesn't often get to be the hero. I expect the good inspector will start digging now that he knows some part of the truth. Sparing his clone may just get the Raza an ally down the line.

And I do believe the Raza saving the galaxy is going to happen. Perhaps not quite as Six envisions it, I don't see them becoming galactic cops. But they could help keep honest whatever authority emerges supreme. They won't be able to resist the call with the power of the blink drive at their command.

Spoiler: 12. Seriously, do not open the spoiler if you haven't watched it.
    Show
    Holy cow, that ending. When the seer started talking, I was sure Four would kill everyone. Everyone except his brother, I'd never have expected that. Even his alternate self didn't do that. I wonder what turned him even more ruthless here. And why the seers failed to predict five and the android without Nyx's brother interfering.

Still, I guess the time for the prophesied betrayal has come, this Raza would never help this Ryo after such a display.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I kinda like how Episode 11 shows the contrasting realities of this universe. On one hand, you have a setting with androids, FTL travel, clones, psychics (sort of) and all sorts of other futuristic stuff.

Spoiler
    Show
    Then you get down on one of the planets and you have a set of hillbilly brothers living out in the woods, kidnapping young girls and setting out bear traps to protect their property.

That moment with the spoon made me literally laugh out loud.

And then that Shoo the Dog moment with Three and Five nearly made me tear up. Seriously, I was moved.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-11 at 12:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

On to Episode 12, where some things happened.

Spoiler
    Show
    I kinda smelled the dirty hands of the Seers before the reveal. I was not surprised to see Four have them executed.

However, I was shocked by Hiro's death. Your own brother, Ryo? Who didn't even want the throne?

Anyways, this poses huge problems for the Dark Matter crew. Emperor Ryo wants that blink drive.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-11 at 12:18 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, I didn't realize it was a double-finale. I'll have to try and avoid spoilers then until I get the chance to watch the last one.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It actually isn't the finale. There's one more episode on Sept. 16.

But Killjoys is done, so they ran two episodes this week. Z Nation also returns on Sept. 16.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-11 at 04:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

... Five has green hair!?

Did she always have green hair?

Stupid colorblindness.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Yup. Always green.

Another shocking revelation: Six is black.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-09-11 at 04:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Three can be such a softie. It was obvious what he was doing bad mouthing Five, and of course she was smart enough to know. It's a scenario you see from time to time, but the target doesn't often realize it. The writers had respect enough for Five to let her. I was surprised that not only did the kidnap plot have nothing to do with Five's past but that it was also resolved quickly. I was thinking it was a two-plot episode, but it became one fast. It's the same with the possessed Three thing. I do like it when a plot element gets resolved quickly from time to time. It shows competency of the characters, analogous to D&D where occasionally the DM puts the party against foes a bit lower than their CR, especially if it against a type of creature they ahd a hard time against in the past.

As for Emperor Four it was obvious to me that when he asked the Seers for their prediction he was going to do exactly the opposite, but having his brother killed was a shock. It makes sense when you remember Five's lament earlier in the episode how she hated Memory Restored Four, but I'm not seeing the logic behind the reasoning. Also, Four just became Emperor. How was it known his order included killing the brother? Anyway, it makes the audience want to hate Four, akin to how we were meant to hate Six last season.

Great show.