New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default We are the Irate Pirates!

Each and every one of you awaken in the dark, as you hear the sound of silence. Light flickers through a staircase to the east, the wooden walls of the ship, a stink down below. Hammocks tied between wooden pillars, holding up the interior of the ship together. Lockers line the northern wall, and noise lies above. Otherwise, the area is littered with nothing.

You friends are gone. Just you, and five other odd individuals. Your earthly possessions are gone, also, except for Josephs spices.

What can you do for now, but grab your bearings, maybe ask the group what just happened? How they got on this ship, or how they were knocked out?

Begin Play. You have time for now to spend as you desire, but that time is not long. I will be unavailable for the next 8 hours, so don't try to do anything with the scene. So just bounce off each other.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2015-12-05 at 04:04 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: We are the Irate Pirates!

Josef jumped up, his hand instinctively grabbing his weapon. "Did we just get conscripted?" he asked, and then, in a fit of anger, shouted: "They better have not touched my ingredients!"
    The inquisitor then proceeded to check his belongings, and upon confirming the presence of five tightly packaged pieces of cheese, as well as some pouches with spices, breathed in relief.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The first sign of life from Kimiko is the swishing of her tails. The one crosses the other and then flicks back, slowly.

This goes on for a few moments before she finally groans and pushes herself up to a seated position. Something, she thinks, is very wrong. She remembered having been in a human body most recently, for one thing, a sailor with one eye and an infectious grin that she'd chatted with a year or two earlier. She'd been telling jokes to an appreciative crowd, and then...nothing. She'd been drugged. Well, good to know this vile feeling wasn't just the hangover, at least.

When the big man starts ranting about his ingredients, she smiles. "At least we won't starve," she says. Her tone is light, and she is amused by the oddity of the scene, but there's also genuine appreciation there. Decent food, she's found, is not something to take lightly.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Trott wakes up from a groggy, slow haze... which is sort of the usual for her, but this one was different, as she wakes up she hears two voices talking about food, which is consumed.... like drinks.... trott reaches for her canteen of real nice baiju.... no.... that's my butt.... that's my leg... wait... where is it? trott opens her eyes, all her stuff is gone, this is not where she was before... and some very.... very unlucky blighter has taken her axe. She had just won a battle of song at a bar, she had a few drinks, and then some more drinks, then she ran out of money, then she stole a few drinks, then someone offered her a drink.... now she's here... .... what the ****** ****!?!?!? Where the **** am- when the ****** why the *******, when I get ****** I'm gonna ****** ***** ******** a ******* ****** **** ****** **** ****** * *** ***** with a ***** who has my ******* axe! I'm gonna ***** **** **** sandwich their **** ******* blueberry ***** ********..... oh... she looks around at the rest of the people who just heard her rant.... she realizes that she has been pressedganged ... oh *****....
    Last edited by 1Freakinninja; 2015-12-05 at 07:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nein, no blueberries at hand." says Josef, who notices that he wasn't actually grasping his weapon. "My bec is gone too, it seems. And my armor." The inquisitor then pronounced a few words and made some movements with his right hand, directing the small outpour of water that came from it to his face. "Now then, this is quite a disrespectful action towards a holy man of Gorum...but they didn't take my ingredients. Smart they are."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Jonah rubs his head and sits up slowly.So, my luck has run out then. Should have known better than to get a drink without someone to watch my back. Bloody foolish. Still, not like I am powerless at sea... "That we have been pressganged is obvious. The important question is by who, followed by where are we headed? I have a pretty good idea why I was picked, and it isn't for my strong back."

7. - Top - End - #7

Imp

Looking to jonah, Trott looks like she's about to say something, but pauses. She holds out a finger, signaling to wait as she stands up, calmly, Trott walks over to a nearby hammock and takes a deep breath... she then immediately empties her stomach onto the poor sailors bed, the celestial blood makes the normally bone chilling screaming that goes with vomiting sound mildly calming, something you could carry a tune... once done, Trott goes back to her spot, wiping her mouth with another hammock bed, I suppose that each of us got "convinced" to join up due to some reason or another... my music tends to get people a bit.... riled up... i must although make quite illaboritory statement, i am quite riled up that They **** TOOK MY AXE and my BOOK!!!. trott gets flustered for a bit, unable to say anything, she begins summoning little violins and immediately smashes them on the ground out of anger, doing this a few times calms her down a bit.
    Last edited by 1Freakinninja; 2015-12-05 at 09:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"While we could attempt an escape, I suspect we are significantly outnumbered and out armed. My abilities are rather limited in this confined space and even if on deck could do little to aid us without endangering the entire ship, which would obviously just give us another issue to worry about even if I had the time required."

9. - Top - End - #9

Imp

In the middle of her 5th violin, Trott stops looking at jonah in a bewildered manner... ... escape?.... oh hohohoho...... no.... they don't have us stranded in the middle of the ocean with them she stands up staring you dead in the eyes these slaving bloody barnacles are stuck on a boat with us.... I am not escaping.... unless it's to escape from the burning fire I am going to set right next to the gun power... after.... I get back my stuff.... she looks jonah up and down got that, bait boy? she is now panting, she goes back to smashing violins, trying very hard to calm down sorry... sorry..... I'm just.... not that pleased about being forced to do this *****...
    Last edited by 1Freakinninja; 2015-12-05 at 09:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Count on the mention of 'burning gunpowder' to rouse the stunned gunner. He doesn't rise, though, remaining flat on his back on the deck, trying to get a sense from the roll of the vessel how fast they're traveling and what sort of chop there is on the sea. He groans, to himself, as the lump on the back of his head throbs. Probably he'd been slipped something in his drinks but then again, press gangs have the traditional thump to uphold.

" Don't even be joking about fire in a magazine, ar'right? No one tends to escape from that sort of ka-boom exceptin' as a fine red mist." And after a pause, he adds. " The name's Nico. Don't suppose any of you managed to hold on to a pouch of water, did you? Bear of a hangover." His humor, it seems, is as dry as his throat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the man asking for water, Josef approaches him, and says: "Make a bowl with your hands. I'll fill it with water." before starting to chant again. "Also, my name's Josef."
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2015-12-06 at 05:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

"Bloody Besmara..." A pile of stinking rags miraculously produce a raspy voice that seems to be straining with the effort to produce an noise higher then a whisper. "Would ye all mind some less shoutin'? I be enjoying something of a hangover over here meself.." The pile uncurls into something resembling a person. Except a person should not be allowed to appear in such a state of decomposition without being long time deceased. Ropy greasy black hair clings to the skull of the mostly grey blotched skin of the creature. Long spindly arms moved by thick tendons as the creature get up in a sitting position. *cough* *cough* It coughs twice to attempt to clear its throat. "Aye.. Real peach o' a mornin' this one be Pete, mark me words... Might win a price as one o' the worst ones recent history." *cough* It peers around the room with it's head painstakingly slowly trying to comprehend the current situation. Finally it settles its eyes on Josef. "Water ye say? Might there be a pint in there for good ol' Pete?" He spits some phlegm on the deck and attempts an disarming smile but succeeds only in showing a face full of shark teeth. The voice sounds doubtful but hopeful.
    Last edited by Tiny; 2015-12-06 at 10:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

As he finished serving Nico, Josef looked at the talking corpse, saying in surprise: "Gorum's blade, you sure you didn't forget you were dead? Anyways, guess the dead also have parched throats." The inquisitor then placed his ingredients in Nico's hands, saying: "Keep an eye of them a moment" and then approached Pete, signaling for him to ready his hands as he started casting again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Kimiko stares as the dead man turns out to be rather less dead than anticipated. There was a man with an interesting face. Not her usual fare, of course; she typically preferred to look less...pitiful. But still, interesting.

But it does remind her that she needs to change her own appearance. It wouldn't do for her captors to find her in her natural form, after all. Not at all. They captured a human, and a human is what they'll find down here. Though...not necessarily the human they caught to begin with.

A few moments later, the fox has been replaced by a human woman with black hair, green eyes, and features a bit too broad to be classically beautiful. Pretty, perhaps, but not beautiful. She'd been another associate back in Cheliax, who went to the block defiantly when her seditious connections were found out. Which was tragic, but at least no one here was likely to recognize the face.

"That is enough talk of escape," she murmurs once she's happy with her new face. "And more than enough of fire and such. There will be a reckoning for this, of course, but only if we live to see it. Until then, better not to give them any excuses."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Disguise check: (1d20+27)[42]

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

More than a little surprised as the man actually humored him Pete nonetheless held out his hand as the man approached. Oh yes! Always thirsty! The copper taste is so sweet so sweet.. The whisper was barely audible through the pounding of Petes head, but he knew the dark thoughts well. He would have to find something stronger then water to shut them out before they grew to loud, and soon. Come closer and quench our thirst.. Manling The thoughts taunted him but he managed to hold them at bay for now. The last time he lost to the darkness he had lost his leg along with any doubt of his dual nature. He broke the chain of thoughts with a laugh. "Har! Har! Been wondering that fer along time meself to be frank. Me best guess is that Death has more important things to do then claim ol' Pete. Or he just cant stand the smell. Har Har!" Pete shrugs and shakes his head as if he did not care much for it either way. "He pops in now and then to take a piece away though." He indicates the wooden appendage that he uses instead of a right leg.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, bin heard that be all I can take-"

A man walks out from the darkness, a whip slash laid at Trott's started, and six men walking the steps to join him, and a chuckle on his face as he walked in, his face formed into what was obviously an attempt at a grin, but looked more like a grimace of pain, "Still abed with the sun over the yardarm? On your feet, ye filthy swabs! Get up on deck and report for duty before Cap’n Harrigan flays your flesh into sausage skins and has Fishguts fry ye up for breakfast!" he said, whip in hand, "Those landlubbers who think that they can do without will end up with fifty lashes!"

Totty takes seven points nonlethal damage, and has her move speed reduced by half. Do you comply?

Spoiler: Removed Rolls
    Show
    (2d6)[10](1d3+2)[5]
    New Houserule: You may now decide to take 1 on any roll, and he took 1 on his sneak attack.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2015-12-06 at 01:14 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #17

MindFlayer

Pete blinked in surprise and let his hands fall to his sides as the grinning man let his whip do the talking for him. At least it was a interesting turn of events that the whip was not aimed at his skin this time as he would have expected, but the skin of the loud woman. "Aye aye. Ye made yer point clear enough. No point in letting good Cap'n Harrigan wait fer us." This day kept getting better and better. Pete shambled to his feet with a weary eye on the man with the whip. It's only a whip.. We could tie it around his throat before he has any time to act and strangle him slowly. He took half a step in the direction of the man before he realized what he was doing and made it appear as he was just heading upwards as instructed. The dark thoughts was testing him again and almost gotten him into a fight with seven men. He really need a drink now. Bloody bad day to be alive.. He felt a pang of hopelessness and he wondered where his little friends had gone. Perhaps they still roamed around the bar he was caught in? What if they had managed to get aboard the ship?

Spoiler: meanwhile in rat county!
    Show
    Does Pete feel anything through the empathic link to Evangeline?
    Last edited by Tiny; 2015-12-06 at 02:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Josef grabbed his ingredients back from Nico, and nodded at the man with the whip, grinning, before following Pete.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Jonah sketches a salute and follows above deck. At least I can get some fresh air. Not like I don't know the ropes. Worst comes to worst I can always drive us onto a shoal and take my chances in the wreck.

20. - Top - End - #20

Imp

The whip snaps at trott, she falls to the ground from pain, as she begins to realize what has just happened, she gets up, she slowly walks over to the man with the whip, she knows that she won't be able to take all of these men on by herself.... but her pride is too great... she whispers into the and ear seductively, bad choice... you didn't know I play rough she then brings her knee to the man's crotch. If she can she then hobbles outside quickly

Spoiler: ooc roll
    Show

Roll for dirty trick manuver
    (1d20+2)[9]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

The gratitude he felt for the water provided was genuine, and after slaking the worst of his thirst from his cupped hands, Nico was only too glad to hold onto the... spell ingredients? Must be, since the gunner couldn't think of what other sorts of oddments a man conjuring water from thin-air would be lugging around. Holding onto them turns out to be brief as he returns them when they're requested following the abrupt and violent arrival of what seems like some sort of whip wielding officer or, god's less fortunate, the bosun. Nico knows you don't argue in this sort of situation, and so he's on the bounce and headed up to the deck.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

She wasn't so lucky- The man stomped on her aching foot in a heartbeat, using the hole in her defense to grab her in a heartbeat, pinning her down in an instant with some help from his allies.

"Wonderful- I love watching little angelic girls like you squirm, thinkin your so tough. Now- You give up, or my friends here will beat you down." he said, a manic grin on his face.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[14]
    (1d20+5)[8]
    3 Aid anothers for the pin, for success.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2015-12-06 at 06:02 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Josef pushed his ingredients into Nico's hands once more, and then approached the man with the whip, his voice's tone starting out apologetic: "My apologies, I casted a spell of confusion on the gal earlier for my own amusement," and the moment the man's eyes met his own, the blonde said in a blood-chilling tone: "It'd be good if this just ended in a prank, wouldn't it?"
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Bluff
    (1d20+1)[5]
    Intimidate
    (1d20+16)[28]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Kimiko starts for the door peaceably enough, but it quickly becomes apparent that things won't be so easy. What did I just say? she thinks as the foolish woman starts a fight.

Since it doesn't seem that the door will be clear any time soon, she sighs and leans on the wall, watching the wrestling match with obvious interest. "You mind moving to the left a bit?" she asks one of the newcomer's thugs. "I can't quite see."

25. - Top - End - #25

Imp

Trott grits her teeth, her hands shaking with rage, she knows she has to go with it... but every fiber of her being is resisting, with a lot of strain ...ah, yes, I feel the spell wearing off, haha.... I got to say... under that spell I thought that you were a giant dragonfly trying to take my shoes... I see differently now... it's all... fine... mr? she takes on a demenor of innocence, if not trying to hide her twitching eye, giving in pains her deeply

Spoiler: rolling for obedience
    Show

Bluff roll
    (1d20+6)[23]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The master-at-arms looks at the Inquisitor.
    "I am Master Scourage to ye bastard! Know that that wrench 's going to be a pain in my side, and I can smell the bull**** in ya voice, Even if ya magiked her, WHATEVER ye weak godhead speaks, if she raises hell again, ay'm going ta rip her damned lips off. Now get to the main deck, and follow the guards." he said, dropping the young aasimar, and storming up the stairs, the stench of anger flowing past him as he pushed Kimiko in the face. The stench of Anger smells strongly of piss.

Pete would feel a tingling of curiosity, as his rat was scrambling around somewhere in the ship.

Eventually, presuming nothing else happens, the newly formed party are dragged to the top deck, as you are dragged into the light of dawn, blinding you, until all you see is an aura of light surrounding the captain, and the endlyss blue abyss that is the open ocean, as he stares you down from the Poop Deck, a shadowy figure looming behind him. If you look around, you'll see that you are not the only new crew- four others are standing with you on the deck, set apart by their relative cleanliness and their apparent unease with their newfound situation.
    At this point, you'll be able to look around rather easily, to get a look at the main deck of the ship. The mainmast rises from the center of the deck, extending 60 feet into the air and topped by a crow’s nest. Rigging connects the mainmast to the ship’s other masts, and Several strands of thick rope are secured to the foot of the mainmast for use as a whipping post,a macabre brass-and copper clock depicting worms writhing through whale corpses, hangs from the mast above the whipping post. Two 10-foot-square wooden grille hatches sit in the deck fore and aft of the mainmast, leading to the deck 15 feet below. A large wooden box bound in iron sits just beneath the bridge. A small jolly boat is on the side of the ship.
    The captain calls down to you all, "Glad you could join us at last! Welcome to the Wormwood! My thanks for ‘volunteering’ to join my crew. I’m Barnabas Harrigan. That’s Captain Barnabas Harrigan to you, not that you’ll ever need to address me. I have only one rule—don’t speak to me. I like talk, but I don’t like your talk. Follow that rule and we’ll all get along fine." He said, turning around, before looking at the PCs from over his shoulder.
    "Oh, and one more thing. Even with you new recruits, we’re still short-handed, and I aim to keep what crew I have. There’ll be a keelhaulin’ for anyone caught killin’ anyone. Mr. Plugg! If you’d be so kind as to make pirates out of these landlubbers, it’ll save me having to put them in the sweatbox for a year and a day before I make pies out of ’em." He said, before going back and leaving your sight, as his associate in the shadow jumps down.

Bald except for a black ponytail and sporting long, narrow beard, the man somehow looks angry, miserable, and uncomfortable, all at the same time. Bare-chested, his coat obviously immaculate, with pearl buttons, emphasized by the cat-o’-nine-tails in his hand. Everything about him shines like the smile of a murderer, from the polish on his boots to the dome of his head. His teeth don't match that shine, being gray and yellow, however, his face is fixed in a grimace.

"Alright ye bastards, I don't like having to take time for your petty work, so I'm just gonna make this clear- The guy with the herbs and such, you're going to slap Kroop, enter the galley, and fix me an' the cap'n somethin to eat, or I'm going to shove a boot up your ass. The rest of ye, see the rigging?"

At this point, you'll be able to look around rather easily, to get a look at the main deck of the ship. The mainmast rises from the center of the deck, extending 60 feet into the air and topped by a crow’s nest. Rigging connects the mainmast to the ship’s other masts, and Several strands of thick rope are secured to the foot of the mainmast for use as a whipping post,a macabre brass-and copper clock depicting worms writhing through whale corpses, hangs from the mast above the whipping post. Two 10-foot-square wooden grille hatches sit in the deck fore and aft of the mainmast, leading to the deck 15 feet below. A large wooden box bound in iron sits just beneath the bridge. A small jolly boat is on the side of the ship.

"Ya gonna climb that thing. If you don't, unless you want salt 'an blood on your scarred back, you best get climbing. So GO." he said, snapping his whip at the crew members.

Welcome to the crew. Make climb checks until you reach the top, and remember your climb speed when making a climb check is 1/4 your base speed. DC 10. Just roll a fistful of d20s.

For the new cooks mate, when you enter into the galley.
    To put it simply, it looks slightly better than a ruin. The cramped and chaotic kitchen holds two wooden worktables, several wooden cupboards, and two small stoves against the port wall, as well as virtually every cooking utensil imaginable and a frightening array of meat cleavers. A score of chickens and three goats wander freely throughout the chamber, cages littered on the floor. The kitchen is a madness of dirt, food, and knives, The stoves perpetually lit, and large cauldrons bubble away atop them all times. A huge array of spices mingle with barrels of rainwater, two tuns of rum, cupboards full of ship’s biscuit and salted beef, barrels of sauerkraut, and a small supply of fresh vegetables. You see a large, some would say fat, man, weighing well over 200 pounds and standing only 5 feet tall, bushy tufts of black hair behind his ears, rotting teeth, and stains on his filthy apron. He lies asleep in the corner, a bottle of Rum in his hands.
    Last edited by The Vagabond; 2015-12-06 at 08:24 PM.

GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Josef salutes respectfully, glad he's being given a position fitting his skills, and heads for the kitchen. Taking a moment to make note where everything is, he places his own items in whatever spot he finds empty and relatively clean, using Create Water to wash away any remaining stains, and then approaches the ship's cook, spraying more magically-created water in his face as he says: "Cook Kroop, where are the sausages? Can't serve warm sauerkraut without sausages!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: climb checks
    Show
    i presume we are rushed/threatened via whipping, so no taking 10? Cause if not, taking 10. (20d20)[7][12][15][5][12][8][10][3][19][20][15][7][20][1][17][6][1][5][10][2](195)

Climbing rigging. He has no idea what I can do on a ship, so I am climbing rigging. Abducted by fools.

29. - Top - End - #29

Imp

Trott looked around as she climbed the riggjng.... been awake for 10 minutes... got my foot messed up, twice, been harassed by two people with whips, and threatened to be beaten to near death should i not follow orders.... sigh..... gonna be one of those days isn't it?

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

As they got up in the relative freshness of the air Pete feels his spirits lift a bit. A feeling that is immensely augmented by the curious feeling of exploration, new scents and the wood under his small paws. Paws? He blinked in the sun. And did he just think of cheese? "I be drunk still.." he muttered under his breath. He shook the weirdness out of his head and listened to yet another man with a whip. What is it with all these men and their whips anyway?

Pete walked slowly up to the rigging as the boat swayed beneath his one good foot. Paws?Such a foolish notion. The taping of his wooden appendage loud on the deck. He made a pathetically clumsy effort of trying to catch a rope as it dangled beneath one of the other unlucky volunteers. The swinging motion suddenly made him feel very nauseous and he almost retched on his tattered pants then and there. Dam it all to the nine.. What would would he not do for some cheap grog right now? But a whip was a whip and he did not feel inclined to make the day any worse."Aye aye.. Mr Plugg.." He spat bile. "But there better be a bloody barrel of grogg waitn' in the nest!"

He whipped the rope around his unfeeling right leg and started to half climb, half run, up the rigging at a frantic pace. Sweat dripping from his stinking form as he jabbed his wooden leg into the mast like an ice-climber might use an ice pick for footing. Feeling the other kind of spirits rise and return to him as the climb progressed further. Burping and cursing and laughing as he made his way up like some sort of horrible scarecrow. Feeling a short burst of passionate joy at the refreshing wind. shouting to his fellow unfortunates in the rigging with uncharacteristic mirth. "Har har! Climb on ye sorry landlubbers! Ol' Pete almost forgot how good the brine feels on the face! Too little alcohol in it though! Har har!"