New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "In my day"

1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: "In my day"

I need to stop reading IMDB. It makes me feel really old to look up some programme I enjoyed as a kid and find that practically all the main cast are now dead, as in the case of "Rentaghost"...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Wait, in what part of the world was this a thi---
    Britain.

... I, uh, take these two are somehow related...?
    Not particularly. Perhaps I should have included "I remember when we were proud of our country".

I feel young. I think I am young.
    Enjoy it while you're there. Middle age has its upsides, but you only get one shot at each chapter of life.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    In my day we typed "kill troll with sword" repeatedly because we didn't have an "again" command AND WE LIKED IT!
    Wait, you mean pressing an up arrow wouldn't repeat the last line typed? What system was that on?
    Last edited by veti; 2015-06-23 at 03:52 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Britain.

Not particularly. Perhaps I should have included "I remember when we were proud of our country".

Enjoy it while you're there. Middle age has its upsides, but you only get one shot at each chapter of life.
    Honestly, in my head where you're from sounded like some Orwellian type of shizznicks. Britain, eh? I dunno. Feels weird. I would've never connected that stuff with the UK.

I'll try my best. Can't wait for the middle agey part of my life where I have to pay back all of my loans...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Wait, you mean pressing an up arrow wouldn't repeat the last line typed? What system was that on?
    I may be speaking out of my behind there. I'm not sure I ever knew what specific breed of mainframe that terminal was attached to, and maybe I could have used an up-arrow but just didn't know it. I was in the single digits of years.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Honestly, in my head where you're from sounded like some Orwellian type of shizznicks. Britain, eh? I dunno. Feels weird. I would've never connected that stuff with the UK.

I'll try my best. Can't wait for the middle agey part of my life where I have to pay back all of my loans...
    Nah, a lot of countries play national anthem before stuffs. It's just culture. Dunno if it's considered orwellian these days. I think it's just culture?

Like from where I'm from (and also in japan, if you watch japanese shows) students stand up and greet their teachers before class, even in high school. I just can't think it happen in any western countries, really.
    Last edited by Fri; 2015-06-26 at 04:44 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Nah, a lot of countries play national anthem before stuffs. It's just culture. Dunno if it's considered orwellian these days. I think it's just culture?

Like from where I'm from (and also in japan, if you watch japanese shows) students stand up and greet their teachers before class, even in high school. I just can't think it happen in any western countries, really.
    The only things in Finland I can think of it being used is during international sports competitions, some specific national holidays (independence day, christmas, those at least) and I've sometimes heard it sang in graduation ceremonies. But, I dunno, before watching a film in the cinema? Something so ordinary? The only place where I could imagine it happen it today (and, well, at least back down to the 60s) is probably Best Korea

Finnish elementary schools still have this custom. Language classes have it til the end of 9th grade I think because it's connected to the culture, but in upper secondary the custom vanishes.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    We did that, in primary school at least. And in home room in high school, but rather less formal.

You can decide for yourself if South Africa falls under Western society. (Honestly, not even we who live here can agree on that )

The only place I can remember our national anthem being sung with any regularity - aside from international sports events, that is - is during Assembly at school, and that was once a week. We're not big on our national anthem, strangely. We don't even really play it during special holidays.

Might be due to the fact that it's in five different languages.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

In my day, no one had clothes dryers; we had clothes lines, and in the winter the clothes would get all stiff.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Most of what I would have said has already been said, but a few new (or particularly significant) things:

No internet no mobile phones (for ordinary people at least) and "microcomputers" were rare things that only one or two of your friend's might have had.

But we did have Teletext.

Powercuts were a regular thing. If when they happened, you just got the candles out.

To start a car, you first had to pull the choke lever on the dashboard.

Battle of the Planets, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Masters of The Universe, etc.

And then a few years later:

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. (Because the UK censors thought Ninjas were too violent).

10. - Top - End - #100

Why, when I was a wee lad we didn't even have cars. If we wanted to go somewhere we had to go out and trudge through ten feet of snow, uphill all the way, then wrestle a bear and ride it to where we were going.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Why, when I was a wee lad we didn't even have cars. If we wanted to go somewhere we had to go out and trudge through ten feet of snow, uphill all the way, then wrestle a bear and ride it to where we were going.
    Four Yorkshiremen - Monty Python
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

In my day, you had to go to a circus sideshow to see a woman with a tattoo.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

13. - Top - End - #103

Goblin

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Microfiche yet.
    Computer sources were not recognized for term papers.
    Dewey Decimal System
    The Fall of the Berlin Wall
    Amy Jo Johnson... aw yes
    On the same note Kennedy from MTV
    Saturday Morning Cartoons
    Playing with the Original Star Wars Action Figures
    45s
    Crystal Clear Pepsi
    Classic Coke
    Anderson Cooper on Channel 1 News covering Bosnia
    The OJ Simpson Circus
    I started driving when gas was 90 cents a gallon
    I saw ET in theaters (it was a reshowing a few years after release)
    Hurricane Hugo

14. - Top - End - #104

The first movie I remember seeing in theaters is Jurassic Park.
    LGBTitp

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

I keep hearing about this thing called a "Blockbuster" where people checked out these things called "VHS tapes" which based on what I've seen are some kind of brick.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Battle of the Planets, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Masters of The Universe, etc.
    M.A.S.K. was also a big thing for a while. Thinking back on the comics series, a fair part of it was the protagonists conducting counter-terrorism operations against the antagonists, V.E.N.O.M., who would be clearly a terrorist organisation these days rather than a criminal one.

Ulysses 31 had some amazingly creepy episodes (some of which still holds up today) and a fairly dark ending for characters in an otherwise children's cartoon (Sisyphus for example).

I also remember Godzilla ("and Godzoooookiiiiii!") and the first Thundercats series.

For the UK folk, does anybody remember the old fortnightly Storyteller magazine that had various stories and fables, along with a narration on a tape?

17. - Top - End - #107

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    I keep hearing about this thing called a "Blockbuster" where people checked out these things called "VHS tapes" which based on what I've seen are some kind of brick.
    Hey, *I* remember Betamax video tapes being a thing, and nobody knowing whether they or VHS would win the video format wars!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    For the UK folk, does anybody remember the old fortnightly Storyteller magazine that had various stories and fables, along with a narration on a tape?
    Oh wow yeah I remember that.

Only I had a translated version. I actually had no idea it was a British thing.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Oh wow yeah I remember that.

Only I had a translated version. I actually had no idea it was a British thing.
    I remember a magazine that had these amazing illustrations of monsters, it was about a boy who was somehow in a fantasy world and had to journey somewhere to do something to return (yeah, i paid that much attention)

I think there was one about a giant spider, one for these wierd underwater 'critters' style things, and maybe one about some giant mountain birds. It was cool stuff back then anyway.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Wizard View Post
    Blockbuster only actually closed down like three or four years ago. We had one sitting on the corner by the middle school until then. But of course by then it was mostly DVDs.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

They've stopped teaching cursive? The teachers must be slowly learning to love.
    This avatar by Phase.

22. - Top - End - #112

PirateGuy

Regarding pressing up to recall the last line, *I* remember when you had to run DOSKEY in order to enable that newfangled "saving previous commands entered" thing

And the first computer I've used (it was my dad's) was a TK-85, a Brazilian clone of the Sinclair ZX81 (back when crippling imports policies meant foreign electronics were pretty much impossible to obtain in Brazil). That makes me sound a bit older than I really am though, I was like 5 years old when I started messing around with that computer. It had rubber keys and a sticker that read "16 kb" - that was RAM, I guess, since hard-drives weren't a thing. Data was stored in cassette tapes, and you had to run a tape for like half an hour in order to load a program. And it had no screen of its own, you just hooked it up to your TV (kinda like a videogame console). Speaking of which, I remember when Pong was the only videogame we had at home That was before I got an Atari 2600 for my 5th birthday. Ah, the joys of Pitfall...

As for other stuff... well, people have already said it all, I guess. I went completely bonkers over both E.T. and Neverending Story when they came out. My parents gave me an inflatable E.T. - I got really excited when they said they got E.T. in our home, but I kicked it away saying "it's only a balloon". Neverending story went better - my dad got me the book, and I still love it to this day, it's absolute genius. Reading it again and again at different ages, it's a different book each time. I remember the price of everything going up every day, to the point that the concept of "price" sounded completely arbitrary and unpredictable. And I remember my mom putting me on the bus, alone, at age 7 or so, for a four-hour cross-state bus trip to my grandparents'. That would be completely insane today. And I remember our train getting hijacked by what looked like guerilla fighters when we went on a trip to Peru, but that's another story for another time

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    They've stopped teaching cursive? The teachers must be slowly learning to love.
    Cursive is making a slight comeback in Finland, as they noticed that children's handwriting got worse and more unclear without proper cursive
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2015-07-01 at 11:08 AM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

24. - Top - End - #114

They don't teach script (I got a bit in a private school) but they expect us to know it a couple of times in high school.

Technically my handwriting is "cursive" because half my letters are connected, but that doesn't mean "legible". I need to practice some more for proper doctor handwronging though.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I remember the "WHIRRRRR-BEEEEEEP.WHIRRRRRR-BEbeBEbeBEbeBEEEEEP" of connecting to the internet.
    With that sound, I blocked our phone line for two hours to play free MMORPG while mom was waiting for an important call. Rest of the month, I had to play outside - with "real" friends.

(this is doubly shameful, because I was not THAT far from reaching legal adulthood)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Lion King.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2015-07-02 at 06:33 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

First movie I saw in theaters (that I remember) was Alaska. I was 6 or 7. The novelization of the movie was also my first novel. Which is a bit od because I remember a lot of stuff from before that age but no specific movies.

I was a bit young when Jurassic Park came out but I remember getting it on VHS for my birthday a few years later... I remember using Altavista and Yahoo, Microsoft Encarta, Dial-Up modems. I remember when Diablo II Lord of Destruction taking up one GB was a huge deal because our hard drive had only 4 GB of space... You know, basically I remember most stuff from the second half of the nineties and early 00s

Also this is a bit more Quebec-specific but I remember seeing the first season of "Dans une Galaxie près de chez vous" on tv (note for the vast majority of people: It's a spoof of Lost in Space and pretty much any other sci-fi franchise you can think of, and launched the careers of some of our most talented actors and comedians)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

27. - Top - End - #117

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    First movie I saw in theaters (that I remember) was Alaska.
    In my case it was a double bill of "Warlords of Atlantis" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I have absolutely no idea why the cinema felt those two would make a good match, but there you go!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In my case it was a double bill of "Warlords of Atlantis" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I have absolutely no idea why the cinema felt those two would make a good match, but there you go!

If i recall correctly, my first movie in theatres was the "Return of the jedi", i think it explain a lot of things about myself

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

I was told I slept through Star Wars, but I have no memory of that.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    I think mine was "Aristocats" at a friend's birthday party. I saw "Song of the South" in elementary school. Which also reminds me of Filmstrips - a reel-to-reel movie projector with a separate soundtrack that made a beep each time you were supposed to advance to the next image.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2015-07-02 at 04:48 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season