New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Paranoid admiral needs help booby trapping fleet of ships to defend against mutiny

Hello playground,

I am playing in a 3.5e game taking place in Eberron where the players are pirates, and I am their leader. We have a few ships at our command, which are crewed by hired help and freed slaves. However, we previously had a mutiny occur, which caused us to lose many friends and almost lose one of our ships.

I want to booby trap all of the ships, including life boats and dinghies, with some kind of explosive rune or similar, on the bottoms of the ships and their rudders, which can be triggered remotely by me. I am a 10th level sorcerer, but I can pay to have spells cast on the ships if necessary.

I've read about things like this being done before, but I can't find any specifics to pull it off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: if there is a mundane/alchemical/etc way of doing this as opposed to using spells, I'm open to those as well. I mostly just want to be able to control *which* ships blow up, so I don't nuke my entire fleet just because one of our ships was stolen.

Strength is being able to crush a tomato, Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato, Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato, Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad, Charisma is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad
    But..... isn't a tomato-based fruit salad... salsa?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Paranoid admiral needs help booby trapping fleet of ships to defend against mutin

Craft Contingent Spell is a game-changing feat I'd recommend.

Contingency is a good next-best option for you.

Taking levels in or hiring a Trapsmith or Combat Trapsmith could maybe do some work for you

You can, of course, just craft actual traps using the craft: trapmaking skill
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Paranoid admiral needs help booby trapping fleet of ships to defend against mutin

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Craft Contingent Spell is a game-changing feat I'd recommend.

Contingency is a good next-best option for you.

Taking levels in or hiring a Trapsmith or Combat Trapsmith could maybe do some work for you

You can, of course, just craft actual traps using the craft: trapmaking skill
    I was looking into Contingency, but as far as I can tell, it has a range of Personal, so I can't apply that to another object. As for Craft Contingent Spell, I see the flavor text says "You know how to attach semipermanent spells to a creature", does that mean it can't be used on objects? Or is the flavor text ignored here?

Strength is being able to crush a tomato, Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato, Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato, Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad, Charisma is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad
    But..... isn't a tomato-based fruit salad... salsa?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmen4u View Post
    I was looking into Contingency, but as far as I can tell, it has a range of Personal, so I can't apply that to another object. As for Craft Contingent Spell, I see the flavor text says "You know how to attach semipermanent spells to a creature", does that mean it can't be used on objects? Or is the flavor text ignored here?
    Contingency could trigger to dimensional door you to a safe room or off the boat. You could then use your action to sink the boat.

Craft contingent spell makes a spell that is worn, but doesn't need to be a personal spell. The spell will cast from you, but it doesn't take an action and happens automatically. Set up conditions so that, upon whatever you deem to be a mutiny, fireball casts at the hull of each ship and you dimension door off or something. It's, in my opinion, the strongest feat in 3.5.

You could also put the contingent spell on another creature (a rat in a cage or something) that sits in the bilges and then casts fireball upon certain conditions you specify
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2022-02-05 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

5. - Top - End - #5

Just Arcane Lock the helm & give Arcane Signet Rings to those you trust.

Create Explosive Packs from Secrets of Sarlona & use shrink item to turn them into cloth swatches you place all around the ship's & especially the crew quarters. Then have them revert to regular size at a command word

Or craft figure heads to the boats & grant them a swim speed. At the first sign of mutiny command the Figureheads to drown all aboard.

Or the first time you have someone you even suspect is a mutineer, drag them before the crew & un make them with a Rod of Wands with three Twined, Fell Drain, Quickened wands of Sonic Snap (or Magic Missle if there are more than one) this will unmake anyone of 12th level or lower.
    Last edited by Athan Artilliam; 2022-02-05 at 04:30 PM.