New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Please help me brainstorm a bit.

The new Puppetmaster archetype allows a Magus to learn Bard spells. So what are good bard spells for a Magus, preferably illusion or enchantment ones (since he has class features for that), and not anything requiring bardic performance (which the archetype doesn't get), and not anything that's already on the Magus list.

Thanks!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm.. Shadow-type spells like Shadow Enchantment (Greater) come to mind, as well as some of the Aroden-buffs like Human Potential.
    Sadly, the better Bard-only spells need to work with bardic music.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Well, there's obvious ones like Dominate Person as a 4th level spell. Bards get some cool early access; hideous laughter as a 1st-level spell stands out. And, access to Heroism and Greater Heroism is always fun. Just some bare-bones suggestions; I know there are better spells out there.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground

Heya OP, neat guide! I'm a little confused on a couple spells, though; Touch of Blindness, primarily. I can't seem to find on the level 1 Wizard list on PFSRD, is that maybe gone now or something?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

It's from the new Blood of Shadows companion. It might not make it on the SRD for a month or two.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slithery D View Post
    It's from the new Blood of Shadows companion. It might not make it on the SRD for a month or two.
    Actually John is working hard on that as we speak. Give it a few days to a week tops, and it should be there. He always waits two weeks after the official release before he pushes the content live.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

Ohh, I see! So OP is more really, -really- on top of stuff! Awesome, ha. Thanks for clearing it up!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Has anyone considered using a Wakazashi for a Dex Magus? It works well with the Kensai, although not the Bladebound. Weapon Finesse, Slashing Grace. Plus they have a high crit range and the Deadly Ability. Kind of like having a Finesseable Katana.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfkin_King View Post
    Has anyone considered using a Wakazashi for a Dex Magus? It works well with the Kensai, although not the Bladebound. Weapon Finesse, Slashing Grace. Plus they have a high crit range and the Deadly Ability. Kind of like having a Finesseable Katana.
    Due to errata to Slashing Grace, that no longer works. Rumor has it that the upcoming Intrigue book will also nerf Fencing Grace, leaving the dex Magus with only the scimitar or Agile weapons.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Due to errata to Slashing Grace, that no longer works. Rumor has it that the upcoming Intrigue book will also nerf Fencing Grace, leaving the dex Magus with only the scimitar or Agile weapons.
    I didn't know that. O.o Huh. That is incredibly frustrating. Wish they weren't nerfing the dex builds. :/
    But, I guess a DM COULD rule in favor of it working. *shrugs* Best I got for that.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Pixie in the Playground

Great guide! I am new to pathfinder and wanting to get into the magus, while i have done alot of reading there was one build id like some help on making a build similar to the assult build you provided but using a human,dervish dance and bladebound instead. I would appreciate any help i can get.
    Last edited by shadowzanon; 2016-03-28 at 02:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadowzanon View Post
    Great guide! I am new to pathfinder and wanting to get into the magus, while i have done alot of reading there was one build id like some help on making a build similar to the assult build you provided but using a human,dervish dance and bladebound instead. I would appreciate any help i can get.
    Well, you could take the assault build in the guide, change race to human (with finesse as bonus feat) and take dervish dance instead of the first feat. Did you have any specific questions?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering the Errata we´re talking about concerning Dex2Dmg, what´ya think are the odds that Dervish Dance will keep on working?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, you could take the assault build in the guide, change race to human (with finesse as bonus feat) and take dervish dance instead of the first feat. Did you have any specific questions?
    well i clearly will not have bite, was wondering i you had any reccomendations for the things i may need to change since im not going orc.

15. - Top - End - #315

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Considering the Errata we´re talking about concerning Dex2Dmg, what´ya think are the odds that Dervish Dance will keep on working?
    IIRC, only hardbacks get errated, softcovers, like player companions either get their content updated at reprint or languish as is.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's official now: fencing grace no longer works with spell combat, so the dex-based Magus is back to using either a scimitar or an Agile weapon, or on focusing on debuffs instead of damage.

17. - Top - End - #317

DwarfClericGuy

Nature's first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf's a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

If I didn't just use deadly agility, I'd be ticked. Damnit, Paizo.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello,
    I have been a lurker for a while but this is the first post, my apologies if I get the formatting wrong.

I have a quick question regarding spell combat. Specifically Improved spell combat and Greater spell combat.

Improved Spell Combat (Ex)

At 8th level, the magus’s ability to cast spells and make melee attacks improves. When using the spell combat ability, the magus receives a +2 circumstance bonus on concentration checks, in addition to any bonus granted by taking an additional penalty on the attack roll.

Greater Spell Combat (Ex)

At 14th level, the magus gains the ability to seamlessly cast spells and make melee attacks. Whenever he uses the spell combat ability, his concentration check bonus equals double the amount of the attack penalty taken.

As I read these it looks like you lose the default +2 to checks from Improved spell combat. I realize that at lvl 14 you are unlikely to fail but...

Unless I missed something that just infers that each of these stacks with the previous and Greater is simply modifying how much bonus you get from each point of penalty you take.

I have been looking for an explanation on this particular point and have come up with nothing substantial. Anyone have an answer?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Rabit View Post
    Hello,
    Welcome!

The two abilities stack: GSC gives a bonus to concentration equal to twice the attack roll penalty, and ISC gives a +2 circumstance in addition to any bonus from the attack roll penalty. Whether that bonus is 1x the penalty (at levels 1-13) or 2x (at 14 and up) is immaterial.

That said, in general it's not good tactics for the Magus to take this attack roll penalty.

Also, by level 14, you should have a concentration roll of about +14 (level) +2 (ISC) +4 (intelligence) = +20, meaning you can automatically cast up to third level spells without needing to roll for it, and should be employing defensive measures like Mirror Image or Greater Invis in basically every combat. Casting defensively is just not a big deal for a moderate level Magus.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Ultimate Intrigue, it's again a book that's really meant for other classes, so I'm not surprised to see there's not a lot of relevant things for the Magus. I note the spells Controlled Fireball, Instant Fake, and Urban Step may come in handy; I'm happy to hear other suggestions for feats, spells, or items from this book.

21. - Top - End - #321

Planetar

Some of the items may come in handy. A Bruising Intellect-focused intimidate build will actually be pretty good at a few verbal duel tactics.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Some of the items may come in handy.
    Such as what?

23. - Top - End - #323

Planetar

Well, lots of the mundane things grant large bonuses to sleight of hand to hide them, so those could be useful for someone that doesn't have sleight of hand. Some of the alchemical items could come in handy for social stuff as it grants inspiration for certain skills. The only burn item useful for us, accuracy lozenge, would be useful after you get your second attack at 8th level.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

The only burn item useful for us, accuracy lozenge, would be useful after you get your second attack at 8th level.
    Hmmm... +5 to one attack per round, but at a cost of eight hit points per round. That's a pretty harsh tradeoff. As consumables go, a scroll of Blade Tutor's Spirit, Heroism (if a teammate can cast it for you), or Monstrous Physique I strikes me as a better investment.

Some of the alchemical items could come in handy for social stuff as it grants inspiration for certain skills.
    Again, let's compare this... Boar's Bellow gives you a small bonus on a handful of intimidate checks, whereas Elixir of the Thundering Voice gives a flat +10 on all intimidation for an hour. I'd go with the latter, reall.y
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2016-04-10 at 03:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Planetar

Well, the lozenge does stack with those other ones, as does the boar's bellow. Also, magic vs non-magic alchemical item. Everything has its place and time.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Ultimate Intrigue, it's again a book that's really meant for other classes, so I'm not surprised to see there's not a lot of relevant things for the Magus. I note the spells Controlled Fireball, Instant Fake, and Urban Step may come in handy; I'm happy to hear other suggestions for feats, spells, or items from this book.
    Added these three, all at the yellow level.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The archetype in the Armor Master's Handbook is reportedly Hall of Shame terrible, so you've got that to look forward to.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

At least its not the metamorph alchemist.

I can work with the Heavy Armor wizard. It fits perfectly in my Iron Man design. actually, especially if I can find a way to better use wands. Granted It won't be anything amazing as the archetype loses attack in favor of defense.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

29. - Top - End - #329

Planetar

You know, if I was making a heavy armor magus archetype, I'd probably make it so its pretty much the same as normal magus by the time they would get heavy armor proficiency. Lets see how Paizo screwed this one up.

30. - Top - End - #330

Well for starters they lose spell combat. In return they get early access to medium and heavy armor and they get a fighter's armor training.

And they use their arcane pool to enhance their armor instead of their weapon.