New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

This is a fabulous guide, thank you so much for it. Does anyone know of a guide like it for Inquisitor?
    Never believe a wizard is dead until you have personally seen him killed at least twice.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vwrt View Post
    This is a fabulous guide, thank you so much for it. Does anyone know of a guide like it for Inquisitor?
    Check out this link for all your guide needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    And its four times as much? Damn, just go with spell tattoos, those are twice as expensive as normal scrolls. Only downside is explaining to the GM how you have skin free to read it, which, being fantasy, isn't that hard. My bladebound in Society utilizes an assortment of magic tattoos, and he just goes sleeveless.

In elysian bronze fullplate.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I've finally laid eyes on the Armored Battlemage. As already suggested by others, it is a complete waste of space. Too bad; surely a future book will have better archetypes.

(edit) also added fighter VMC, higher rating for distant spellstrike, downrated nine warriors edition because of how silly expensive it is.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2016-05-19 at 05:51 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. Its pretty bad. Even I say that. The only real use I see with it is being used with Gestalt, when you're using something else for combat. Strangely enough though, the archetype still has Spell Strike.

Something I hate with some of these archetypes is where they remove a lot of the good stuff, or that one thing that would have allowed it to stack with another archetype, then give very limited things back. Like with the new FAQ, Hexcrafter cannot stack with Card Caster.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Well, I've finally laid eyes on the Armored Battlemage. As already suggested by others, it is a complete waste of space. Too bad; surely a future book will have better archetypes.
    That particular archetype actually has its use, but not in a magus-centric build. It´s an interesting component for a Mystic Theurge build, tho.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Something I hate with some of these archetypes is where they remove a lot of the good stuff, or that one thing that would have allowed it to stack with another archetype, then give very limited things back. Like with the new FAQ, Hexcrafter cannot stack with Card Caster.
    I haven't checked for all classes, but I have the impression that most archetypes in recent books are much too defensively written. And that isn't necessary, because there aren't a lot of overpowered archetypes in earlier books (perhaps a handful, across all classes).

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    That particular archetype actually has its use, but not in a magus-centric build. It´s an interesting component for a Mystic Theurge build, tho.
    Nah, the other defensive archetypes still do that better. Anyway, theurges are beyond the scope of this guide.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah, the other defensive archetypes still do that better. Anyway, theurges are beyond the scope of this guide.
    I agree. Theurges are an issue of their own and are in dire need of their own guide.
    Where I disagree is the part about being defensive. Theurges have the tendency to be quite MAD and this archetype simply help reduce the need for overly high PB values or being too dependent on +Attribut items.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't checked for all classes, but I have the impression that most archetypes in recent books are much too defensively written. And that isn't necessary, because there aren't a lot of overpowered archetypes in earlier books (perhaps a handful, across all classes).
    Defensively written? Like they focus on defense, or they use language and wording in such a way to prevent any sort of synergy with other archetypes/feats/magic items/etc?

Kinda like how the Kineticist has the lines "Regardless of what infusions might say, you are not wielding your blast"

Or how a number of the archtypes kinda all change the same ability, just slightly, just enough that they can't stack?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Defensively written? Like they focus on defense, or they use language and wording in such a way to prevent any sort of synergy with other archetypes/feats/magic items/etc?
    The latter. It seems the writers are so afraid of writing overpowered material that they tend to overcompensate in the other direction.

There is two ways you could get a shield bonus.. Be wielding a shield and yet not.
    Overall though, I don't know how much of a help it would be, and likely you're best to sticking with the tried and true
    I've checked these, and I don't think they're worth the investment for a Magus. The bonus to AC you get per feat spent just isn't that much, and it doesn't help that a Magus isn't proficient with shields, or that styles require a swift action to activate.

Although doing a disarm or steal on an OA is nice. I'll have to think of a build for that, but probably not a Magus build.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2016-05-19 at 12:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

The latter. It seems the writers are so afraid of writing overpowered material that they tend to overcompensate in the other direction.
    Which is not a bad thing. Honestly, for some classes we had a streak of cookie cutter archetypes that practically redefined the power level of the base class, which is not very good for overall game balance.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is not a bad thing. Honestly, for some classes we had a streak of cookie cutter archetypes that practically redefined the power level of the base class, which is not very good for overall game balance.
    Cookie Cutter archetyes?

Am I correct in my guess that you mean archetypes that people always use? Cause you can redefine power level in two ways. Up or Down. And Writing on the defensive tends to lend itself to redefining power by dropping it. Which also isn't very good for game balance.
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2016-05-19 at 03:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Bugbear in the Playground

Which is not a bad thing.
    Having what amounts to wasted page space isn't a bad thing? Near as I can tell it's always a bad thing.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Having what amounts to wasted page space isn't a bad thing? Near as I can tell it's always a bad thing.
    Which to me at least, the errata for ultimate equipment did a lot of that just now.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Which to me at least, the errata for ultimate equipment did a lot of that just now.
    Yep, that really thins out the equipment section. In this guide at least, I've removed Ring of Ferocious Action, Feather Step Slippers, Quick Runner's Shirt, Jaunt Boots, Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier, and Snapleaf; as all these items go from "very good" to "very bad" as of the recent errata.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

(Huh? Forum software ate my text and I did´t notice, being preoccupied with sneezing. Hurray fro spring allergies!)

Cookie Cutter archetyes?

Am I correct in my guess that you mean archetypes that people always use? Cause you can redefine power level in two ways. Up or Down. And Writing on the defensive tends to lend itself to redefining power by dropping it. Which also isn't very good for game balance.
    Coming close but not hitting it. Archetypes can have two functions, one of them is raw power, the other is transformative and changes the overall role.

The way we handle things right now is taking the base class and assigning it a tier value. Archetypes and options are handles in a power up and down value way relativ to the assigned tier value and that´s it.

That also means that in discussion we seldomly "cross-pollinate" and pose the question of "Is Y better than X at their job right now".

For this, see some of the recent discussions comparing certain Magus archetypes to the Base Magus instead of other classes.

Yep, that really thins out the equipment section. In this guide at least, I've removed Ring of Ferocious Action, Feather Step Slippers, Quick Runner's Shirt, Jaunt Boots, Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier, and Snapleaf; as all these items go from "very good" to "very bad" as of the recent errata.
    Check your perspective on that: Player, GM or Balance.
    Last edited by Florian; 2016-05-20 at 07:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

So, I was asked over PM to take a look at third-party archetype Mystic Dervish.

The main benefit of the archetype is attacking twice per round via Two-Weapon Fighting. The thing is that a regular Magus can already attack twice per round, via Spell Combat plus an attack cantrip. The advantage to the latter is that both strikes are with the same weapon, so you have to buy (and enchant, with your arcane pool) only one of them. So while this might seem like a bonus for this archetype, it's actually not.

Twinned Spellstrike is another thing that sounds like an improvement but is actually not, and of course Diminished Spellcasting doesn't help any. Overall, this means that at levels 1 through 7, this archetype is really not so hot. However, at levels 8 and up it becomes interesting: you get to use TWF / ITWF / GTWF with spell combat, for a huge number of attacks per round. At level 15, your attack routine would be +7/+7/+7/+7/+2/+2/-3/-3. Combine with e.g. Frostbite and you have a good combo on your hands.

Overall rating: green, but at levels 8 and up only. HTH!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the rest of the armor master's handbook is also on d20pfsrd, but it looks like there's nothing in there worth mentioning for a Magus handbook. That doesn't make it a bad splat, of course, it's just not for this particular class. Better luck next time

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

As of recent errata, the Cunning enchantment counts as +1 and does the following: "Whenever the weapon’s attack is a critical threat, the wielder gains a +4 bonus on the confirmation roll if she has 5 or more ranks in a Knowledge skill that would be used to identify the target’s creature type".

It's pretty obvious that for most classes this isn't worth it: most melee classes don't have enough skill points to get 5 ranks in up to six different knowledges, and don't have enough of a class list or an intelligence focus to invest in knowledges in the first place. But a Magus might.

Suppose you hit on a 5 or more, do 10 damage on a hit, and threaten on a 19 or 20. Your DPR is now (16/20 + 0.10 * (16+4)/20) * 10. Conversely, if you just got a straight +1 on your weapon enchantment, then your DPR would be (17/20 + 0.10 * 17/20) * 10.
    Hit on a... DPR with Cunning DPR with +1
    5+ 9.00 9.35
    10+ 6.25 6.60
    15+ 3.50 3.85

Huh, looks like Cunning is a straight downgrade. But wait, what if we use a keen scimitar, as a Magus commonly would? Then the numbers become as follows.
    Hit on a... DPR with Cunning DPR with +1
    5+ 11.00 10.95
    10+ 7.75 7.70
    15+ 4.50 4.45

And turns out that's pretty much the same DPR with cunning as without. Considering that some monsters you meet are going to be immune to critical hits, the straight +1 would actually be marginally better. So yeah, cunning weapons aren't worth the investment in skill points and the bookkeeping of when the bonus does and does not apply. Welp, it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2016-06-05 at 05:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, checking out the Magic Tactics Toolbox.

• The Spell Trapper archetype is actually ok, considering it doesn't really lose much for its trapping ability. Its main issue is that in most campaigns, you'll rarely or never get to prepare for combat with traplaying.
    • Flash Forward is an interesting spell, although in most situations you could just as easily use the lower-level Bladed Dash or Scorching Ray.
    • Crossblooded Sorcerer dip got even more ridiculous with the Blood Havoc ability, making Shocking Grasp 10d6+30. This is thankfully banned in PFS; this is so silly powerful that I wonder how it got printed in the first place.
    • Burning and Chilling Amplification are fun additions to any elemental-based Magus (or other caster, for that matter). Shocking Amp is pretty bad though. I hope they print more of those for other elements in the future.
    • Ability Mastery looks great at first glance, until you realize it doesn't stack with belts/headbands, which makes it basically a more complicated version of Toughness. Likewise, Weapon Evoker Mastery looks very strong until you see it's basically a convoluted version of Weapon Specialization, that requires too many swift actions to use on a Magus.
    • Eldritch Assault is simply amazing on a Magus.
    • Secluded Grimoire is a decent spell for protecting your spellbook, if needed. Sigil Chalk is a nice consumable to-hit bonus.
    • Lore Needle is useful for knowledge skills. I'm baffled why Monster Hunter Folio, Saccadic Prism, and the Vast Spell feat are banned from PFS; they aren't particularly good.
    • Award for the worst editing goes to Scale And Skin, for the phrase "the bonus to your natural armor bonus increases by 2"

Please tell me if there's anything good that I've missed!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

Those new Blood Hexes are usable by Magus. Not as well as a witch, but they're still usable.

As for the Trapper Magus

1) The highest DC you can set a trap at, is 26. That is if you sacrifice a 6th level spell slot, and are level 20. You might be able to get a little higher by spending a few feats, like Ability Focus. This is the DC to spot and Disarm as well as the saving throw. Every hour as well your DC drops by 1. The highest DC when you first get it is going to be 14 without any other feats. Within 4 hours, your trap will be gone.

2) You only have Snare Trap until you spend your arcana to get another one. So you're at least down one arcana to get a more useful trap than snare trap.

Ability Master - I agree this is over all very weak. The most I'd do with this feat is use it only when you are needing a boost but can't get the items you're needing. And then only if you can retain it later.

Weapon Envoker - For a magus, also pretty bad yeah. For a fighter, not so much. Best effective against things that are vulnerable against that damage type. But there are bettter things

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Those new Blood Hexes are usable by Magus. Not as well as a witch, but they're still usable.
    Yes, but I don't see any of them as particularly great for a Magus, compared to your spell list.

2) You only have Snare Trap until you spend your arcana to get another one. So you're at least down one arcana to get a more useful trap than snare trap.
    Snare trap strikes me as one of the better traps on the list. But yeah, it still isn't a great archetype; in most campaigns it's simply too rare that you have time to prepare the combat arena before getting attacked.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

It could actually be decent when playing a Mega Dungeon like Rappan Athuk, especially when the GM is really into it and makes the whole thing a lot more dynamic than just sweeping it room by room. The duration in hours/level makes a lot more sense under this conditions. the Question is, how could this interact with the Quicken SLA feat?

As for Flash Forward, I think that spell makes sense if some actual tanking is happening at the same time. This allows you to attack and automatically "retreating" behind the tank after that. Think about Leadership and an Ulfen Bodyguard with that.

Right now I´m so-so on Blood Hexes. A Hexcrafter would have an easy time creating the condition to use them, sure, but I think they´re only truly viable on a Shaman or Witch.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hi! New-ish player here rocking a level 3 str magus with a couple of questions

Firstly, you mentioned a feat called Eldritch Assault in your guide but I can't find it anywhere on paisa or d20 or even on Google, could you please elaborate on what it is, like the description? I can't find it anywhere

Also, how exactly does archetyping into Bladebound work? Is it worth archetyping at my level? I'm pretty new to archetyping

Thank you so much for your time!

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sacha981 View Post
    Hi! New-ish player here rocking a level 3 str magus with a couple of questions

Firstly, you mentioned a feat called Eldritch Assault in your guide but I can't find it anywhere on paisa or d20 or even on Google, could you please elaborate on what it is, like the description? I can't find it anywhere

Also, how exactly does archetyping into Bladebound work? Is it worth archetyping at my level? I'm pretty new to archetyping

Thank you so much for your time!
    The feat is from the Player Companion line of books, so it´ll never be up on the PRD.
    There´s usually a grace period of one month until it will be up on the PFSRD as they want to avoid conflicts with paizos sales.

Usually, you chose your archetype with the first level of the class, as they often change how the class works. The Bladebound archetype modifies your Arcane Pool class feature and the 3rd level Magus Arcana, so it must be taken at 1st level. So by RAW, you´re too late to get the archetype. In this case, you´ve got to talk to your GM and see if you´re allowed to still apply the archetype.

Is it worth it? That´ll depend on how strict your game is with the WBL rules or how often you must come by with random loot only. A magical weapon will most likely be the single most expensive piece of equipment a Magus will lug around and the Black Blade is free and self-scaling. As it´s not counted towards WBL, you´re pretty free to invest your money elsewhere.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sacha981 View Post
    Firstly, you mentioned a feat called Eldritch Assault in your guide but I can't find it anywhere on paisa or d20 or even on Google, could you please elaborate on what it is, like the description?
    Well, it's from the very newest Pathfinder book (Magic Tactics Toolbox) so it will be on http://d20pfsrd.com in a couple weeks. Basically it makes you confirm critical hits more often.

Is it worth archetyping at my level?
    Depends. Do you want an intelligent telepathic sword for free that automatically upgrades as you level up?

Archetypes are basically subclasses; for example, instead of a plain Fighter, you could be a Viking fighter, or an Archer fighter, or a Gladiator fighter. Each of these replaces some of your standard Fighter features with some others. Some archetypes are great, others are pretty bad. In the particular case of the Bladebound Magus, it's a very good choice if you like the flavor.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

@Kurald Galain:

While we´re at it, interesting stuff could be made combining the Blinded Blade Style with Eldritch Assault.
    I suddenly have the urge to try my hand at a Drow Magus...

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, is Paizo seriously putting out two splatbooks per month now?

Inner Sea Intrigue looks promising, with a tribal Magus archetype that actually does something (as opposed to most Magus archetypes in recent splats), the highly useful Training weapon enchantment, and a few spells like Assumed Likeness and True Skill.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

"Training" is absurdly good and I bet dollar to a dime that it´ll see at least one FAQ entry like "You must meet the prerequisites for the feat" or something like that.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Inner Sea Intrigue looks promising, with a tribal Magus archetype that actually does something (as opposed to most Magus archetypes in recent splats), the highly useful Training weapon enchantment, and a few spells like Assumed Likeness and True Skill.
    Added Assumed Likeness for your social skill needs; True Skill since at higher levels you have plenty of slots and they can get you +5 or more to a skill check; Training Weapon since free feats for 8,000 gp each are a bargain; and Magic Warrior archetype which gives you permanent flight at level 3 while losing almost nothing. Surprisingly, this intrigue book is better for the Magus than the magic tactics guide.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey I'm helping a friend build a magus and using the bog standard base magus + dex magus(dervish dance and dimensional agility chain) and their DPR is a little low for a level 13 character using shocking grasp.

They've got 18 dex, 18 int and a +4 speed/keen weapon.

is there something we should be looking out for to raise that when they're just hitting something?