New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Predictably, this month's release of the Healer's Handbook contains absolutely nothing for the Magus (who can be a lot of things, but is clearly not a healer). Paging through it I must say it's one of the least interesting player companion books I've seen from Paizo.
    Well not absolutly nothing. The hexes could be used by a hex crafter. And there is a few feats in there that a magus could use for things, some with a bit of mechanic acrobatics. Like Combat Vigor. While I'd never spend a feat on it, if there is anyway for a magus to get martial flexibliity or something similar its useful.

But overall I'd agree it was a bit of a bleh book. Many of the recent Player's companions changed the rules on things. Like Armor Masters/Weapon Masters, made fighters not suck as much.

This book was like "Yo dawg, Healer classes can heal."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I heard alchemists got a fun archetype, but not much else. What new hexes, and what does Combat Vigor do?
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2017-01-27 at 07:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Combat vigor You fatigue yourself for a minute to heal a paltry sum of HP

Hexes, one allows you to temp suppress some negative status effects for a few minutes. Another lets you supress a few others, Another gives fast healing. Another is a weird semi-resurrection spell.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    While I'd never spend a feat on it, if there is anyway for a magus to get martial flexibliity or something similar its useful.
    Barroom Brawler is a 1/day feat. Myrmidarch can increase that a little bit, up to 6/day with Gloves of Dueling, though it just feeds into still not being enough to salvage the archy.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Well not absolutly nothing. The hexes could be used by a hex crafter. And there is a few feats in there that a magus could use for things,
    Obviously I didn't mean that it contains no options a Magus can take, but that it contains no options that are good for a Magus, or at least good enough to mention in this guide. A hex that could suppress stun or nauseate would be interesting; a hex that can suppress fatigue and shaken, not so much.

The blightbreaker is interesting (if not so much for a Magus) because nothing says that you can't have multiple Touch Injections active at the same time (although the intent was probably only one).

Like Combat Vigor. While I'd never spend a feat on it
    Yes, that's what I meant.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Added arcane shield and disruptive recall feats; trap finder trait; cosmic ray, telekinetic strikes and debilitating pain spells. And looking into the new Phantom Blade archetype, which is technically a spiritualist but practically a Magus.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You mention it as a prereq for style feats, but I think an expansion on the Martial Training feat could be useful. Scarlet throne especially because Scarlet Einhander is amazing on a Magus.
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

8. - Top - End - #578
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You rated Close Range Arcana pretty low, but there are some really good options of ray spells that would be great with the critical potential of a keen rapier/scimitar/etc

*spells not on magus list, but can be added

0: Ray of Frost - Extra cold damage on your spell combat attack, great for spamming
    0: Disrupt Undead - Even more damage for spell combat (undead only)
    1: Ray of Enfeeblement - 2d6+10 strength penalty on a crit (fort/half, but still)
    1: *Ray of Sickening - no crit potential, but added for completeness, sickened on failed save (unless you can convince GM to let it nauseate on a crit)
    2: *Blinding Ray - [good] cleric spell, for vampire hunting magi 2d4 rounds blind plus 10d4 damage on a crit to something light vulnerable
    3: Ray of Exhaustion - no returning full attacks from opponent, fatigued even on successful save
    3: *Heatstroke - Ray of Exhaustion plus 1d4 nonlethal and -4 to saves if they are armored
    4: *Enervation - 2d4 negative levels on a crit
    5: *Wracking Ray - 10d4 strength and dex penalty on crit
    5: Cosmic Ray - 2xCLd6 damage on a crit, save is only for sickening, not damage OMGWTFBBQ
    6: Disintegrate - 4xCLd6 damage on a crit, it does allow a save which reduces damage significantly
    6: *Hellfire Ray - damage is not as good as Cosmic Ray, but the rider could be useful to prevent resurrection?

Scorching ray, contagious flame, admonishing ray, etc are rays but not good for this purpose.

Tl/dr: Ray of Frost, Disrupt Undead, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Exhaustion, Enervation, Wracking Ray and Cosmic Ray make Close Range Arcana a valid build choice
    Last edited by the_archduke; 2017-03-17 at 04:07 PM.
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Added Redirect Attack feat; ectoplasmatist (it's a trap!) and phantom blade (good but not great) archetypes; Disrupt Undead, Good Hope, and Gallant Inspiration spells; blighted physiology trait; souleater prestige class; and cestus weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by the_archduke View Post
    You rated Close Range Arcana pretty low, but there are some really good options of ray spells that would be great with the critical potential of a keen rapier/scimitar/etc
    While some of these are indeed good spells to use, what you're overlooking is that they don't really become better with the close range arcana. This is because you cannot control when you crit or not, and because spells like Cosmic Ray are lethal even without the crit. You'd be better off saving your arcana and casting the spell as a ray.

(unless you can convince GM to let it nauseate on a crit)
    I am rating the spells as written, not as you might be able to convince your GM to houserule, and not as they work against one specific rarely-encountered monster type. Compared to other spells of its level, ray of sicken and exhaust (and for that matter, wracking) just aren't so great.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2017-03-30 at 03:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Thumbs up Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

I've nothing of substance to add except a big Thank You. My son wanted to play a magus in a campaign I'm starting up and I had no idea how they worked. This entire thread is made of 22-carat win, beginning with the title which is sheer poetry. Thumbs way, way up!

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malacandra View Post
    I've nothing of substance to add except a big Thank You. My son wanted to play a magus in a campaign I'm starting up and I had no idea how they worked. This entire thread is made of 22-carat win, beginning with the title which is sheer poetry. Thumbs way, way up!
    You're welcome

Also, I've checked the new Monster Hunter's Handbook, and added the monster stalker trait; knowledgeable spellcaster, creature focus, and favored enemy spellcasting feats; and the resinous skin, tiny hut, huntmaster's spear and slick wall spells. If I've missed anything that'd be relevant for a Magus, please let me know.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2017-04-12 at 04:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

You might add "Creature Focus" (p. 22). Itīs actually pretty decent in APs/campaigns with a heavy focus on certain creature types and opens up the option für "Favored Spellcasting" or other equipment/feats that need Favored Enemy as a prerequisite.

Edit: Youīre nor running out of giants in Giant Slayer, Humans in Hellīs Rebels, Undead in Mummyīs Curse, and so on, making it a very cheap WepSpec-knock-off.
    Last edited by Florian; 2017-04-02 at 02:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    other equipment/feats that need Favored Enemy as a prerequisite.
    Such as? I've seen that it counts as a prereq but don't see anything useful to take with it.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

Such as? I've seen that it counts as a prereq but don't see anything useful to take with it.
    This depends on whether weīre talking general or with a specific AP in mind. Generally, thereīs a good synergy with Favored Enemy Spellcasting and Foebane Magic, a windseeker bow is a good way to keep stacking bleed damage for a ranged magus.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Pixie in the Playground

hey just wanted to say thank you for the amazing guide!! im pretty new to the D&D and Pathfinder scene and decided to pick up magus (this is my second campaign, first spellcasting). i had a couple of questions. Im only level three but i copied your flamestaff prebuilt character. My GM told me that everytime that i go and do the spellcombat trick where i cast a touch attack and get my free attack that it provokes AOO. How am i to avoid this, do i just stand 5ft out do my thing and do a 5ft step in? also i saw in the thread but not the build, but if i go more CC than dmg should i focus conjuration rather than evocation, and if that is the only little tweak i make? sorry for the wall of text and questions just trying to wrap my head around the magus and how to use him in combat lol.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adjerram View Post
    hey just wanted to say thank you for the amazing guide!! im pretty new to the D&D and Pathfinder scene and decided to pick up magus (this is my second campaign, first spellcasting). i had a couple of questions. Im only level three but i copied your flamestaff prebuilt character. My GM told me that everytime that i go and do the spellcombat trick where i cast a touch attack and get my free attack that it provokes AOO. How am i to avoid this, do i just stand 5ft out do my thing and do a 5ft step in? also i saw in the thread but not the build, but if i go more CC than dmg should i focus conjuration rather than evocation, and if that is the only little tweak i make? sorry for the wall of text and questions just trying to wrap my head around the magus and how to use him in combat lol.
    Thanks, it's always nice to hear that people are enjoying my favorite class.

Your GM is correct that spellcasting provokes an AOO, and yes you can deal with this by standing away to cast, then 5' stepping up to deliver the touch. You can also deal with this by casting defensively: at low levels, use a cantrip so it's no big deal if you fail the check; at moderate levels you can do this reliably. Another way to mitigate AOOs is by putting up Mirror Image or other defensive spells.

And yes, if you want BFC then you pick BFC spells, most of which are conjuration. Mix and match as you want, as learning new spells is cheap. HTH!

17. - Top - End - #587
    Pixie in the Playground

is casting defensively a niche thing to do at lower levels or is this something i need to learn how to do? Because as of now the only thing i really know how to do is ready an action lol....

18. - Top - End - #588

Planetar

Casting defensively doesn't take an action; it's something you do when you cast the spell. You're always going to have to do it if you are casting in melee range, but it gets easier with levels and items.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

From Heroes of the Darklands, added Obscuring Beacon feat, Grasp and Rock Whip spells, clear ear and focus chew items. Also, they've finally updated the list of PFS-legal options (which, predictably, turns out almost all of them except the Debilitating Pain spell).

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

From Heroes of the Darklands, added Obscuring Beacon feat, Grasp and Rock Whip spells, clear ear and focus chew items. Also, they've finally updated the list of PFS-legal options (which, predictably, turns out almost all of them except the Debilitating Pain spell).
    The real gem here is Shadowfade (p.9). This gives you conditional invisibility as a 1st level spell, to use with the Eldritch Assault feat.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    The real gem here is Shadowfade (p.9).
    That seems like a pretty bad spell. It only works in darkness or dim light (whereas your party is very likely to have a light source up) and it only works against creatures actively using darkvision (which they can shut off whenever needed, and which doesn't work against magical darkness anyway). Not a good combo.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Well, looks like we're up for another red-rated Magus archetype from the Adventurer's Guide. But other than that, there appear to be a number of useful spells and items in there. I'm making a list, if people have recommendations then please share them.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ettin in the Playground

Itīs sad, yes. The Cypher Lodge section was the one I was looking forward to and itīs pretty disappointing. So far, the most interesting spells and feats seem to be in the Swordlord section, with Contest of Skill and Tactical Adaption standing out.

24. - Top - End - #594

Planetar

I should mention that the Path of War errata changed the Martial Training feats so you choose your initiator modifier from your mental stats as opposed to having it decided based off the discipline skills. Opens up a lot of disciplines that would otherwise have required MAD, such as Scarlet Throne (the one with the Einhander stance). Also, I'm playing that hexcrafter that uses Cursed Razor maneuvers, and it's going pretty well.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I should mention that the Path of War errata changed the Martial Training feats so you choose your initiator modifier from your mental stats as opposed to having it decided based off the discipline skills. Opens up a lot of disciplines that would otherwise have required MAD, such as Scarlet Throne (the one with the Einhander stance). Also, I'm playing that hexcrafter that uses Cursed Razor maneuvers, and it's going pretty well.
    It also specified that extra damage from maneuvers or stances isn't multiplied on a crit, which may affect crit-fishing initiating maguses.

26. - Top - End - #596

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellrin View Post
    It also specified that extra damage from maneuvers or stances isn't multiplied on a crit, which may affect crit-fishing initiating maguses.
    True, but the utility of some maneuvers does not change. Also, non-increasing damage on crits isn't something a magus is unfamiliar with (since they can enchant their weapons with Burning/Shocking/Frost).

27. - Top - End - #597
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Elven Leafblade and Elven Thornblade in the Adventurers' Guide are good weapons.

Both two weapons can apply Weapon Finesse, have cri 18-20, and have +2 on critical confirmation.
    The only drawback is that both weapons are exotics weapons.

28. - Top - End - #598

Planetar

Unless I'm missing something, elven magi would by default have proficiency in them.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I wonder if it was intentional that the initiator level cap was also removed from the Martial Training feat chain.

Edit: Looks like it was added to the general Initiator Level description. Though it seems more like RAI then RAW that it applies to the feat chain.
    Last edited by SaintNick; 2017-06-16 at 05:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600

Well, looks like we're up for another red-rated Magus archetype from the Adventurer's Guide. But other than that, there appear to be a number of useful spells and items in there. I'm making a list, if people have recommendations then please share them.
    That archetype would be okay-ish if the first ability didn't replace spellstrike. I mean, it's just +1 to attacks in exchange for -2 to attack in some cases, and the ability not to cast certain spells for the day - that's pretty neutral and could have easily been a free feature of the archetype.
    But nope, it has to replace something and for whatever reason a core feature of the Magus was chosen. Heck, even replacing an Arcana would have been too much IMO but at least it wouldn't cripple the character.

And it's not like the 7th-level feature is so strong as to be worth that. It's some energy resistance and eventually +2 to AC, that hardly breaks anything.

Deivons Parry is interesting as a first-level immediate-action spell. The parry isn't that strong on account of working off your medium BAB, but it's still worth a mention for later levels where you can spare first-level spell slots on something like that.

Tactical Adaptation is yet another way to get temporary bonus combat feats. Someone should write a guide about the things you can do with those at some point, but Brawler guides have a small section on those.