Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Seige of Iron Fiends (IC)

Spoiler: Reaver
    Show
    Spoiler: Reaver's Thoughts
    Show
    An intact larynx. Interesting. What possible reason could someone have for that? Perhaps it was all of his time spent with Miranda that led him to his conclusion: construction material. Someone is attempting to craft artificial organics, presumably because they had yet to figure out how to craft an obviously superior sentient machine such as himself. His conclusion that the man he saw earlier was a half-breed now appears to be erroneous. More likely, both he and this female are artificial organics (hereon referred to as "Artiganics"), and the 'man' on the bed was an incomplete Artiganic. This also explains the first Artiganic's incompetence: either he was a new creation who had little worldly experience, or his crafted mind was pitiful even by organic standards. They would most likely pay him a piddling amount for a larynx, since if they wanted they could simply buy a goat and use it (in fact, that is exactly what he intended to do), but Reaver was far more interested in this prospect of crafted creatures, and he was sure that
    Miranda would be too. Reaver had initially intended to simply mark them as prey and kill them later, but now...well, he still intends to kill them, but first he wants to learn more about these Artiganics and their creator. Reaver is now sure that the rune on each of these Artiganics is involved in their construction, and he would like Miranda's opinion on them.

Reaver pauses for a moment as if considering. "A larynx. I think I can bring you one by tomorrow. Of course, I expect some payment for this service. Do you wish for it to be delivered to this building?"

Spoiler: Further Actions
    Show
    After she tells Reaver where she wants it delivered, Reaver will leave building and try to find a large piece of wood. He will use one chalk piece to draw the runes he saw on the man's face and hand. If the woman had a different rune on her face, he will draw that one too. (I've already deducted on chalk from his character sheet). After this he will put the wood in his bag of holding and head to Miranda's workshop.

Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    1) Is the rune on the female's face the same as the one on the first male's
    2) Did the one on the cot have a rune on his face?
    3) Is there a code phrase that Miranda has for me to identify myself when I arrive at the shop?

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana on Female (1d20+5)[14]
    Knowledge: Arcana on Male on cot (1d20+5)[25]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Toft starts to gather the flails in his hands.

"I'm sorry to say that in order to conserve your power, we are going to have to stop now..."

He pauses in his gathering as something occurs to him.

"Well, actually, Luginn, what do you think? Will he have learned from experience now?"
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Maria and Erick
    Show

Maria halts suddenly, looking to the body, not having realised it lacked the slight haze that showed it having cloaked with her, she bites back a curse.
    The worst part is, she holds no evidence that the man was the one that performed the murder...
    With a quick and relative quiet humm to set her voice, Maria speaks, dropping her voice a few notes, it's likely that the Guard might note her sounding like she's singing with her tone.

"Guard, and here you should be thanking me for doing your job/he disrupte me, and I have bound him/take him and bother me not."

With that, Maria lowers the elf's body to the ground, before slowly and quietly backing away.

Erick stiffens when he hears Ollukka's voice, his mind ticking over for the right thing to say, though he doesn't spare a glance.
    "Yes... It would be good to see her take a more intelligent approach... At least she has hear youth to learn in, even if such could sacrifice some of her beauty for when she may need it most."
    Erick's words are carefully measured, with the tone who wishes to say more but would not risk the wrath of his betters.

Actions/Rolls:

There's no actual rules for disguising your voice unless it's part of your appearence. However singing involves altering your voice a fair bit and I'd like to be able to use such to disguise Maria's voice.
    (1d20)[2], +3 if it comes under disguise, +9 if it comes under sing.

And now, move silently:
    (1d20+3)[9]

Edit: And that's why I prefer 3d6 systems. Much less swingy than d20 systems.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-07-05 at 12:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lugging looks at merome, who is now trying to clime a statue just so he can jump off and enjoy the affects of feather fall. He then responds simply with "... NO!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

"...You want me to pull him down bodily, or should you try words?" asks a long-suffering Toft in a whisper.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-07-05 at 09:30 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Neither, the spell will go away in a few seconds, it will take longer then that fore us to get him down

At that moment merome's spell gives out when he is one foot from the ground. "AHHHH"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Mechanical Note
    Show
    This is fine and dandy for roleplay, but for future reference if you look at the Duration line for Feather Fall you will see that that isn't RAW (and RAW matches RAI in this case). It reads:
    "Until landing or 1 round/level"
    (underlining my own)

I probably only know this because when I was creating the Grace-Gift class, I had to specifically tweak that so that they could have a version that lasts one round (but can be renewed each round), that they can only use on others. It is actually one of about four options they get at first level for the "Carry the Burden" ability that lets them take the weight of gravity in the stead of an ally. It eventually grows into first Levitate, and then Fly effects.

Toft (tries to?) take(s) Merome by the hand to lead him back to where they started.

"Come on, we need to get back to our post so we can see everything. If a problem occurs we will want to be able to see it." he gently explains.
    Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Show
    She puts her finger to her lip as she shakes her head, "No, no, here won't do at all. How about this though? Go to a tavern called the Toothless Fairy," She points in the general direction that the inferior artiganic ran in, "It's in that direction. There, ask for a dusk elf named Kildran."

At the utterance of that name, the artiganic on the cot begins to cough, choke, and croak furiously, as though he were trying to muster something to say but couldn't. "I'm sorry, but I have no more time to discuss this. I must tend to my patient. Just give Kildran the larynx and tell him that 'Rose Thorn' said to pay no less than three crescents* in exchange. He can handle it from there. Good bye." and with no more warning than that, she slams the door shut on you.

Spoiler: Answers
    Show
    *Just to anticipate this, a crescent is effectively worth 2.5 copper pieces.
    1. The lady's rune is in a different shape than the man's.
    2. He does not, there is one around his throat area as best as you can tell though.
    3. So long as you speak with your undisguised voice, you will be permitted entry.

Checks: Not getting much of an idea of what the one on the lady means, but the more you look at the one on the man's throat, the less it actually looks like a rune. Almost as though it were written in an entirely different language in fact.

Spoiler: Walker
    Show
    Maria: The guard just stands in the distance as you sing, paralyzed and quaking as the 'spirit' before him sings with the voice of a ghost. The singing is perhaps not the greatest, but one should neither expect improvised music to be great art nor terrified guards to critique. As the body of the murderer tumbles to the ground beneath you, the gnome finally gives a shout. "I said stay still!" he exclaims as a crossbow bolt [EDIT] causes your hair to flutter for a moment from the gust of wind it made. [/EDIT]

Erick: The elder of the dark arts betrays a slight smile at your formality. "You need not fear my rebuke, there is nothing to gained or lost for either of us in it."

The massive man's ears twitch as a quick fit of sparks erupts from the bonfire, "That will be it for the dancing tonight, the square will now be cleared to prepare for the ceremony." says a man, standing by the fire.

"Ah, so that will be all for the dancing tonight." Ollukka turns to the young lady he has been dancing with and begins to squeeze her arm and smile. To a normal person, this would be seen as an attack or threat of some sort, but you recognize it for what it is, merely Ollukka's way of thanking people. His dance partner, however, does not know this and takes to the standard reaction in silence. "Forgive me, he chuckles as he loosens his grip, "I have merely forgotten that that is not this land's custom for thanking such a beautiful young woman for the delightful dance."

He gives a quick bow and then the girl leaves with a blushed giggle. "It is hard for me to remember that the ways of the beasts and fae are not those of the city." He comments after the lady has left, "Now, regarding Erin, what is there to be truly lost? Is not wisdom and composure not more fair and beautiful than the seductive smile of folly? That is something you must never forget in our great pursuit, fledgeling Erick, that the greatest of all equal trades is one where you receive a bargain. If one could trade their own waste for gold, would it not be foolish to pass on such a deal?"

(Fill in any commentary in between here)

The giant man's guides you by the hand out of the center of the square. It is indeed unsettling for such a large hand to be on your back, as it feels now that you should have a gaping tear through your flesh right now. "Now, might you having any further observances tonight?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen: (1d20+1)[11]
    Miss chance: (1d100)[58]
    Attack: (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Confirm Crit (if any): (1d6)[4]

Spoiler: Toft and Merome
    Show
    The two of you manage to entertain the young lady very well, such feats are indeed a rare sight to see and Luginn's commentary regarding Merome certainly lightens the pity that would have normally been felt for such a gnome.

Ukki, however, gives no attention to your playing. The captain of the paladins is instead drawn to attention of a short man who has walked into the temple square. The man walks slowly upon his stick, confident of where he is headed, but Ukki is still drawn to speak to him.

Spoiler: They are within earshot, so if you make a Listen DC of 8, you can listen in
    Show
    "Greetings! Honored elder, what brings you to the temples tonight when their worship is elsewhere?"

The elder waves a shriveled hand, "I pay allegiance to Njord and his wife Skadi, it is not their festival that is held tonight. Actually, I would normally be observing the festivities of tonight, but the Volvu inform me that my patron and matron will be returning to the mountains sooner this year. As my gods go to and fro, so must I, so I must make my prayers and depart in the morning."

Ukki nods slowly, "Even as a servant of Odr, I can meet those reasons with only respect. Allow me to come with you, prayers are heard twice as loud when twice the people pray them after all." The elder thanks Ukki.

With the conversation over, Ukki then takes the elder by the hand and helps him up the stairs to Njord and Skadi's temple, vanishing behind the doors.
    Last edited by LordotTrinkets; 2015-07-08 at 10:11 PM.
    P.S. If you did not receive this post, let me know and I'll re-send it.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheCynic View Post
    *And now I have an image of an animated suit of adamantine armor, complete with armor spikes and a wicked scythe, wearing a top hat. And it is awesome.
    *"Nowhere that I am, everywhere that I am not."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Erick and Maria
    Show

Maria
    Maria ducks slightly as the crossbow bolt passes through the air, letting it sail harmlessly above her.
    "Call to Thor/Chase with courage/But remember Freya/Who fights alongside the peerless."

Maria continues her retreat, slowly gathering energies for if he follows.

Erik
    Commentary:
    "Only as long as it is truly trash to you, and you know it's value to others. The heat of my breath may mean nothing to me, but for another it is part of an invaluable disguise, and a fogged glass can be beyond value. As so comes the beauty of youth, the wisely used beauty of age can far surpass it, but when it can buy a glance, it is not without value."
    ---
    "Yes. Maria plans to hold an observance to the dark this eve, I've been given leave to invite others, to return or not as opportunity merits, however she's willing to join another's observance instead... While I owe a great deal to such, often I wonder if she is to quick to bargain with the essences most consider vile."

Actions
    Maria moves back.
    Move Silently: (1d20+3)[12]
    Hat of disguise: Maria becomes extremely pale, her hair becoming a dirty and unkempt red instead of it's well kept blond. Additionally, her clothes are replaced with dirty rags torn around the legs, the whole effect making her appear as a pale but overly corporeal ghost of a young women who had been dumped with the trash, but had yet to start decaying.

Maria is still invisible, however if the guard gives chase in the right direction she will dismiss her invisibility.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2015-07-08 at 10:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Listen check. (1d20+4)[5]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Toft's attention to his surrounds is exceptional, at least for someone who has never really practiced that skill per se.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Listen (1d20+6)[15] (Have I mentioned that my class is Wisdom and Dexterity dependent? Because I think I mentioned that...)

He ponders what he has heard.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-07-09 at 02:13 AM.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Toft reconsiders the tactical situation in terms of having someone who can see the most area of and/or important spots in the place they are supposed to be guarding, then adjusts the position where the three of them (Merome, Luginn, and himself) are standing.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #43

Show
    After the door is shut, Reaver starts to head back to Miranda's shop while intently listening to make sure he isn't being followed. On the way he stops in an abandoned alley, picks up a piece of wood, and uses chalk to draw the symbols he saw on the first male Artiganic's face and hand, the female Artiganic's face, and the second male artiganic's throat. Having accomplished this, he places the wood into his bag of holding. If he has heard or seen anyone trailing him, he will confront the shadow. If not, he will continue to Miranda's shop, stop at the door, and say, "I have returned master, and I have discovered something that I believe will pique your interest."
    Spoiler: Rolls to see if I'm being followed
    Show
    Spot 1: (1d20+8)[17]
    Spot 2: (1d20+8)[11]
    Spot 3: (1d20+8)[18]
    Spot 4: (1d20+8)[20]
    Spot 5: (1d20+8)[9]
    Listen 1: (1d20+8)[19]
    Listen 2: (1d20+8)[20]
    Listen 3: (1d20+8)[20]
    Listen 4: (1d20+8)[19]
    Listen 5: (1d20+8)[9]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lugging looks at Toft trying to move himself and simple asks, "What in the world are you doing? I might need your help with this guy. He cold do something like, I don't know, blow up a rock for the fun of it at any moment

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arch warrior View Post
    Lugging looks at Toft trying to move himself and simple asks, "What in the world are you doing? I might need your help with this guy. He cold do something like, I don't know, blow up a rock for the fun of it at any moment
    "Ergo why I was attempting to bring the two of you with me.

Come on Merome, we need to go guard stuff over there *points* for a little while now.
    " replies Toft, as he continues his gentle attempts, both physical and verbal to get Merome to move in the correct direction.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-07-10 at 08:19 PM.
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #46

Planetar

Show
    You stand, once again at your post, but with position adjusted to at least get that peak past the edge of Njord's doorway. Fun and games have been replaced by curiosity, concern, and duty, and the plaza about you hushes that subtle, whistling breeze to agree with your feelings. Even the din of laughter that would flare with a laugh on occasion ceased.

Hannah sits upon a pillar in the center, mostly looking upward at her mental script, but stealing a glance over to the travel god and goddess' shrine.

At long last, she looks at the great clock and then rises to her feet to break the silence, "That does it, I'm content to allow him aid an old man with his prayers, but we simply cannot wait any longer." she then walks into the temple. There is a short pause and then she rushes out. "Toft! Mr. Raven! Come quickly, Ukki and the old man have vanished!"

Show
    All along the way, no one has followed you. The plank that you acquire appears like it was once a part of a sign, though all remnants of what it once said have been lost to decay and maggots. Despite this flaking tendency, you manage to inscribe all three of the symbols on it. The first one was a triangle with its left side curved and the one upon the man's throat was much like a tree with downward growing branches. The lady's was the most complex to recall, being a knotted line of circles and sharp angles that all mingle to form what resembles a rose.

Finally, you make it through the district of wholly inferior organics and their obviously inferior craftsmanship and make it to the district of your master, a place made only superior to others by the sole fact that Miranda chooses this place as his dwelling. There is much more surfaced gears in this place, some entire blocks needing to be covered in grating to allow street to exist without interruption of the clockwork machinery.

When you finally reach the foundry of Miranda's family, you descend down the flight of stairs to the front door and knock with the silvered iron ring. The slot opens and there is one eye and a massive scab where an eye would be staring directly back at you. You recognize the scarred socket as belonging to Miranda's servant, Noraran. In all your albeit short memory, never have you know for such a sniveling coward nor so shameless a liar to be mingled in the form of a svartalf. Though Noraran has proven to be willing to lie even to Miranda at times, he has managed to tolerate him for his very talent to forge deceit. Several a time has his untrustworthiness been a boon for covering up your latest assault or even divert the guards' attention from you.

"I have returned, and I have found something I believe will pique master's interest." you tell him.

He blinks hard and then opens the door for you, "Oh good!" he says with a stress relieving laugh, "It isn't another body. I've had a long day of hammering metal around hot furnaces and I'm too tired to try and tie any loose ends you may have missed. Come on in then, Miranda hasn't come back from the celebration yet, so you'll have a more minutes to relax."

Spoiler: Walker
    Show
    Maria: "What sort of madness is this?" asks the gnome as he shuffles toward the now cooled corpse. He crouches down at the sidewalk's edge, holding his crossbow at the ready should the spirit choose to retaliate.

Erick: Indeed, one must always remember to weigh what you give away to others in their eyes. Before all deals are to be struck and made final, both must be put upon the scales in Hlidskjalf to ensure that it is just, and if it leans even there one must place them upon the wings of the eagle, sitting atop Yggdrasil, to ensure that it is fair. These are fundamental to pacts and sound thought to life, Erick, but one must not forget to both sides of the exchange before the hawk, who sits atop the eagle's beak, for he is the one who can tell you if the act is more in your favor or the other party. This last one is the greatest of them all, for if all were to practice it, to measure things by his scale, there would be far less business in the confidence arts."
    Ollukka tilts his head and then looks up to the moon, "Indeed, there are times that I too fear that she trifles with too great of powers, but let us put away such worries, for this is a sacred night and you are not the only one keeping a watchful mind about her doings. I think that I might spare myself of the rite of Freyja tonight and join in Maria's observance. This was once an interesting and well waited for thing in my life, but now I feel as though I have begun to spin the same top too often. A year of not watching the play might aid me in having renewed vigor come next solstice." the warlock smirks as Erin whooped over the joke her 'lover' just told her, "I do not think that I will be Erin though, I trust to return home when the time has come and she deserves to at least enjoy her beauty as she has it."
    Last edited by LordotTrinkets; 2015-07-14 at 10:49 PM.

*And now I have an image of an animated suit of adamantine armor, complete with armor spikes and a wicked scythe, wearing a top hat. And it is awesome.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Toft drops his apple and then tries to grab Merome by the back of the belt with the hand that isn't holding the knife if Merome isn't already moving within two seconds and (again, if not already moving) tries to bodily shove him over to the door/passage in question. When/if they get there, or at the first sign of danger (rather than merely mystery) he attempts to cut the gag off.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #48

Show
    Reaver drops the illusion, resuming his ordinary appearence as a seven foot tall suit of animated, adamantine armor. "I do not relax. And you really shouldn't be so quick to assume that I don't have a body just because I didn't enter with one slung over my shoulder. You of all people should know that I will often put them in my bag to avoid suspicion. Rest assured, I haven't brought back any corpses today. That will come later. For now, I would like to independently research something peculiar that I found until the Master returns, at which point I would like see if the Master has any additional knowledge on the subject."
    Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    1) Does Noraran know about Miranda's identity?
    2) a. Does Noraran know that Reaver occasionally sells people into slavery when he has reached his kill limit for the month?
    2) b. If so, is Noraran complicit in this?
    3) Does Miranda allow Reaver access to any research, books, notes, etc., and if so, how much of Miranda's information is Reaver allowed to access?
    4) How far away is the nearest small village?
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2015-07-14 at 11:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Merome begins to run backwards, trying race Toft to wherever he is going.

At the same time, Lugging flies ahead to see what might have happened.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Maria + Erick
    Show

Maria
    "Vengence of Spirits/Giving one's foe to man's Laws."
    Maria tone grows sombre and serious, before she turns and leaves, continuing to step quietly, circling around to get back to the original ally, waiting invisible. If nothing happens, she will arrive shortly before Erick does.

Erick
    Erick nods in response.
    "I believe she plans a longer observance, but I doubt she would request your presence into the morning."
    Erick begins leading the two back to the ally.

Erick and Maria [Skip if another event occurs involving Maria as she makes her way back, or there would be something else preventing this.]
    "It is good to see you, Ollukka. It's been too long."
    Maria steps from the alley, which is mostly cleaned, dropping her invisibility, she's long since reverted her disguise to her normal one, however a frown touches her features.
    "Has something happened?" Erick speaks, quickly, which would interrupt any further introduction.
    "You forgot your manners, but yes. A murder, but a few street away. The killer already tasted a fraction of my annoyance and has been turned over, but with little in the way of true evidence, unless his fear gives way to a confession I doubt much will come of it but a ghost story. I would not offer a boon to clear out another alley properly, and I would not hold a right with the guard dealing with a murders aftermath but a scream away."
    "A shame, I know you wished to hold the observance in town. But I doubt this will halt us?"
    Maria pauses, thinking a moment.

If Ollukka doesn't take the above moment to speak.
    "It won't. While not preferable I would seek to head back to camp to continue." Maria pauses, looking to Ollukka.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Toft would much have preferred to push Merome in front of him rather than pull them both backwards in the direction of danger, but goes with it, grateful that he is VERY good at glancing over his shoulders, having had to learn to do so in order to operate his weapons against wildly scattered foes.
    Show
    Seriously, I have a class feature that means I can't be flanked by anything less that a class-level+4=11 rogue... really good at glancing over my shoulders.
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #52

Planetar

Spoiler: Maria & Co.
    Show
    Ollukka had bowed, but failed to finish the introductions before Erick demanded details of his masters doings. Though his brow was heavy for a moment or two, he refused to voice his contempt for the interruption. Such things would be beneath him.

He stands there quietly as Maria and her student think and replan, and does not respond until Maria mentions the notion of observing back at their camp. "Magnificent, I myself would have put some consideration on the park, but heading out of the city suits my needs far better. Erick, I asked you earlier if you had any observations tonight because I did have my own thought out. After midnight or perhaps later, I intend to go into the deep wood and make an observation to the beasts in the form of a hunt. This night has the scent of a perfect pursuit, and if such signs can be sensed so deep within Aleton, then they must not be ignored."

Show
    "Pffft, 'that will come later' it says." he mutters to himself as he opens the door. As you enter the door, Noraran fires a parting shot, "And you of all 'people' should know that having a sociapathic suit of armor around the premise leaves my spine buzzing enough without keeping details straight about its habits. The less I bother to try and remember all of your doings, the less I have to think about you."

The library is unoccupied, as it usually is when Miranda is out and about. The chamber is also warmer than the hallway, you notice by the drops of thawing frost on your 'skin'. This effect is most likely the result of the fireplace, which is rather ironically named as there is never any fire in it. Rather, several rows of white-hot pipes run through this area, carrying excess heat from the furnace to the unheated rooms of the building
    *This next part is just my way of giving you an idea for what might be researchable. Feel free to edit the thoughts to match Reaver's actual words in such a situation as you please.*
    "Well, those things were definitely organic, or at least enough to have flesh. Best to start with a few formulas on how to make homonculi, those empathic things are certainly inferior even to the likes of that defective artiganic, but at least it's a start. Come to think of it, I think that she has a book that at least mentions lichsätkynukke, the art of turning a corpse into a puppet to be controlled, that might be of use too. And if either of those fail, I'm sure that Miranda's books on language and symbolism would shed some light on those scars at the very least."
    Spoiler: Answers
    Show
    1. No, he doesn't. Miranda's very secretive about that, but I'll let you know if you come across anyone who's in on the secret.
    2. Noraran doesn't know (or care to know) any more than Miranda tells him
    3. She allows you access to all of her resources, anything that's to dreadful a secret for you to know are written with technical and high-level enough concepts that she doesn't honestly expect you to get what you really want out of them.
    4. From the Dwarven districts? Roughly 6-7 miles away, though farms start to dot the landscape as soon as the forest clears up, about two miles away.

Show
    Though Merome stumbles as he backwards runs up the stairs up to the temple, this change of perspective grants Toft a new perspective of the shrine's waterfall, a trickle of water flowing down the hill. Hannah stands at the edge of the spring that rises from the center of the shrine, looking about confused. If it weren't for a major religious figure vanishing here, you'd assume that nothing was out of place. There is hardly even a lamppost or table of incense, all that is different now compared to day-light times is a thick curtain, veiling the shrine's view of the mountain.
    Last edited by LordotTrinkets; 2015-07-18 at 09:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Show

Maria and Erick look to each other for a moment, before Maria smiles.
    "Personally I had prepared to perform alone for good reason, however I already know Erick's thoughts on the matter. If you would take my apprentice on your observance, I would be grateful. It is always worth seeing how other masters practice their trade." Maria smiles softly to Ollukka. Erick nods, seemingly in agreement, however Ollukka might notice some stiffness, or the hint of a frown.

(1d20+7)[26], Erick's bluff check to hide his emotions.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Merome tapes his hands together in different ways, most of them very very strange, and then performs silent "Detect Magic".

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Toft lets go of Merome, but keeps track of him. He moves over to the curtain quickly and opens it, just in case some clue is obscured behind it (such as an open window?).
    Show
    Spot (1d20+6)[14]

"What exactly did you see? Even some tiny thing out of place could prove useful I think?"

Spoiler: If neither of these avenues of investigation proves fruitful fairly quickly
    Show

"[COLOR="#0000FF"]Shhh... there may be invisible kidnappers here, everyone keep your ears peeled.[COLOR]" he says moving over to the exit and pausing for at least thirty seconds.
    Show
    I assume that either none, one or six of these will be relevant to listening. Going to roll six for speed.
    (1d20+6)[23]
    (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d20+6)[26]
    (1d20+6)[21]
    (1d20+6)[9]
    (1d20+6)[11]
    P.S. Having a 22 wisdom is FUN!

He takes out a bull's-eye lantern and lights it with flint and steel, then starts to search the area, crouched low enough that he can drop the lantern if necessary without it being damaged or falling over. He stops if it seems like there is much chance that he will be disrupting something that a more knowledgeable head would likely be able to make anything out of.

Show
    Search(1d20+1)[2]... yeah, not going to be having any big finds here...

Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #56

Show
    Reaver first finds a few pieces of paper, a pen, ink, and some string, and writes, "Miranda, I have discovered something that I believe will be of great interest to you." He takes this note and hangs it on the door to the library. Next he pulls out the symbols on the old wood and copies the symbols from them onto sheets of paper. After this is done he puts the signs and the paper with the symbols in his bag and starts his research. Reaver briefly considered researching lichsätkynukke, but discarded that possibility. From what he remembered about those, they were corpses that had been turned into puppets, and those Artiganics had seemed, for lack of a better term, alive to him. One of them had even been coughing and choking, something an animated corpse would not do. The only other possibility would be that someone had brought the corpses back to life, and Reaver sincerely doubted that anyone would bring a corpse back to life just to make it a puppet when it could have been done so much more easily by simply turning the subject into a mindless, obedient undead. Reaver decides that the symbols will turn up the most useful information and starts his research there.
    Spoiler: Further Actions
    Show
    If Reaver can't find anything useful about the symbols before Miranda arrives, he will start research on homunculi. If that proves futile and Miranda still hasn't shown, Reaver will start researching lichsätkynukke. If Miranda shows up alone, Reaver will tell the whole story, show the symbols on the paper, and ask for additional information. If Miranda shows up with someone else, Reaver will sit quietly until acknowledged. If he is asked what the discovery is while Miranda is, Reaver will say that, while curious, it is an item of minor importance and can wait until later.
    Last edited by BilltheCynic; 2015-07-19 at 08:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Planetar

Spoiler: Maria and Erick
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[16]
    Ollukka gives and odd look, but then shrugs. "Fine then, I shall bring Erick along on the hunt and leave you to your own observation. I shall be sure to bring him back at least mostly intact by dawn.
    While on the topic of different teaching methods though, would you mind taking Erin for a day of tutoring on some later occasion? Though I have taught many a pupil before, I fear that there is something that I am overlooking in her training that you might be able to find."

Show
    (just saying that you took 10 on a Decipher Script check) The first few minutes were spent looking up the runes, a simple brush over of a simple alphabet that puts the artiganics' markings under an even stranger light, as none of them match any of the six letters perfectly. All three appear to be quite clearly some form of them all, but with foreign elements influencing them heavily.

As a result, you begin to pour over the languages of several different countries and races, starting with those that you assume are the most drastically different from one another. It is finally in the writings of the frost giants that you find the best solution. Though wily and savage, the Jotnar have a written language far richer than any others, where each symbol represents a concept and its pronunciation varies according to what words it is placed beside.

When paired with certain runes, the symbols match up with a handful of concepts. For the rose, it could mean 'deceptive', 'graceful', 'nose', or 'smell'. The triangle could mean 'imperfect' or 'fire'. The third symbol, however, you are not able to completely decipher before Miranda enters the room.

She takes a seat beside you, a large, yellowed tome in one arm, the note you left for her in the other hand. Her mouth is a narrow slit, a sign that she is unusually happy. "So you also found something interesting tonight?" she looks over at the symbols that you've scrawled on papers all over the table, "I never expected tonight to be full of so many surprises, I myself have found three things, two of them I'm certain will be of greater interest to you than they are to me. However, you say yours first."

Show
    "What I saw is exactly what you see right now. Absolutely nothing is out of place, like there wasn't any sort of fight or anything." Hannah shoots a glance over in the direction of the town square. "Oh, I really should be heading over to the celebration, even with the captain gone, the rite must continue."

Toft: Just where the temple ground transitions into earth, there is a skidmark. It seems to be a small humanoid's, though anything else is hard to discern.

Merome: There are no magical auras in the area.
    Last edited by LordotTrinkets; 2015-07-22 at 08:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Show

Erick stifles the start of a laugh as Maria smiles.
    "Of course, who would I be if I could not offer a fair trade?"

29. - Top - End - #59

Show
    Reaver nods respectfully. "Very well. While I was patrolling I found three large humanoid creatures of a race that I could not identify."Reaver reaches into his bag and pulls out the pieces of paper with the symbols on them."Each of them had one of these symbols on various parts of their body. I have reason to believe that these humanoids were artificially created." Reaver then tells Miranda everything that happened, starting with his first contact with the first artiganic and ending with his research findings.
    Spoiler: Question
    Show
    Can I identify the tome in her arm?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"Luginn, do you think you could fetch the watch? This had departed from my area of expertise."

((If all goes to plan.))

"Ma'am you need to stay here for the watch to talk to." Toft says as he closes off both the window and the doorway (He'll stand in it flanked by a chair or two if necessary to make up the width if he has to and there is/are no actual door(s).). A spiderweb glistening with morning dew is nearly as effective as an iron wall at barring the passage of an invisible foe attempting to sneak past. he thinks to himself. He keeps an eye on the window and the woman (and the door if he isn't standing in front of it. He continues to keep Merome close, and the tiny knife in-hand.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-07-27 at 03:18 PM.
    Extended Signature