New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451

Default Re: Darths and Droids V: Thread IV Was Eaten By Dogs

There wasn't one. The invisible person disappeared (i.e., couldn't be seen). It's a joke along the lines of "I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong".

Maybe I'm showing my age a bit, but the first thing to come to mind reading the commentary was Megadeth's Sweating Bullets. "Hello me, it's me again. A little credit to dementia."

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    New one. I'm drawing a blank: who was/is Han's invisible friend?
    It's a joke.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

While I wouldn't put it past the writers to turn Han's invisible friend into an actual plot point later on, I figured it was just a one-off joke too. Usually they are (and the facial expressions are perfect for Jim Delivering A Dumb Joke).
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2016-02-22 at 07:14 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New one. I'm drawing a blank: who was/is Han's invisible friend?
    I think this might have happened either before Greedo first met Luke and Obi-Wan or it was between the movies. At least I don't think it was onscreen. Maybe he means is contact from when he spied on the other PCs for the Empire or some scene where he used a comm. I wouldn't put it past Han (or Jim for that matter) to confuse that.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

My vote: Just a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    At least I don't think it was onscreen.
    Well, if it was invisible...

So, yeah, a joke, kind of like that. ^ Not that either of them are very funny.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    My vote: Just a joke.

Well, if it was invisible...

So, yeah, a joke, kind of like that. ^ Not that either of them are very funny.
    Bad pun very much not intended.
    Even if I have no idea how I missed it.
    I meant that I can't recall a instance of Greedo - or any other of Jim’s characters - interacting with someone invisi... that couldn't be... Forget it. I'm just making it worse.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2016-02-22 at 04:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Firbolg in the Playground

And now there's an EVEN BETTER plan!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, idiot pausing for multiple panels before saying 'that is all' is getting really dumb. It wasn't particularly funny the first time and now they've done it like 4 times.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

9. - Top - End - #459

According to the Darths and Droids search feature it has only been done three times: 1314, 1315, and 1320.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Ok, idiot pausing for multiple panels before saying 'that is all' is getting really dumb. It wasn't particularly funny the first time and now they've done it like 4 times.
    Good thing this is his last appearance, assuming we can trust the commentary.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

According to the Darths and Droids search feature it has only been done three times: 1314, 1315, and 1320.
    Four times, if you count the commentary.

That is all. Sorry, had to be done
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2016-03-01 at 04:54 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Wait, Han is the reasonable one there? At least Lando immediately realized what that means.
    If Han calls a action suicidal it is most likely a understatement.
    Why take a unnecessarily dangerous course if the PCs will do it for you.
    Besides, when something does wrong - inevitable with those clowns - there are enough opportunities to become a hero.

The bickering about the original Han’s pile of scrap is pretty amusing. The only one who could really claim that it is his ship started a new career as dish of the day in that Cantina on Tatooine

13. - Top - End - #463

14. - Top - End - #464

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Minutes? Man, go get some caffeine, stat.

That title was hilarious :P
    If you think that was something, you should see the code examples people came up with to turn the title into something that would actually compile and work.

---

It's a puntest: http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/1323.html
    Last edited by keybounce; 2016-03-07 at 12:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, it's been foreshadowed for a while, but looks like someone has gone completely Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs. One doesn't just quote that speech from Macbeth if someone isn't pretty much cracking up.

Sad.

Wonder if, somehow, Palpatine will be "saved" at the end of RotJ. Beats me how they'd do it, given the material available. Be nice to see though.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

16. - Top - End - #466
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Maybe throwing him in the reactor will cure his insanity, by reversing the polarity of the years of Force Lightning overuse...or something.
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Wonder if, somehow, Palpatine will be "saved" at the end of RotJ. Beats me how they'd do it, given the material available. Be nice to see though.
    Mercy kill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If they do the floating heads at the end, they won't be able to make the one be a redeemed Darth Vader because the gender will be wrong, unless they do a sex change somehow. IIRC, the head didn't look anything like Palpatine, but perhaps they will just ignore that and go with the idea that Palpatine wound up like Obi-wan. Or maybe they will make use of the dissimilarity and mock the fact that he didn't look much like an elder Anakin, either, IIRC.

Given how randomly the NPCs have been acting lately, I'm not sure how much to read into the soliloquy, anyway. I'm sure that Palpatine is at least stressed out, but I'm not sure that he's completely nuts, although I wouldn't be surprised if he is.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    If they do the floating heads at the end, they won't be able to make the one be a redeemed Darth Vader because the gender will be wrong, unless they do a sex change somehow. IIRC, the head didn't look anything like Palpatine, but perhaps they will just ignore that and go with the idea that Palpatine wound up like Obi-wan. Or maybe they will make use of the dissimilarity and mock the fact that he didn't look much like an elder Anakin, either, IIRC.
    Isn't it Anakin's :edit: or wait, qui-gon's :edit: midichlorians in Padme's body? It makes some degree of sense that the force ghost would be Anakin.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2016-03-11 at 01:40 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

20. - Top - End - #470

RedKnightGirl

This strip is certainly as we like it. The tempest of references in today's strip proved that all's well that ends well when it comes to comedies of errors.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

21. - Top - End - #471

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post
    This strip is certainly as we like it. The tempest of references in today's strip proved that all's well that ends well when it comes to comedies of errors.
    I must say that, measure for measure, that's the most Shakespeare puns I've ever seen in a post here. Perhaps I'm making much ado about nothing, but if I may briefly be a large ham (or at least a hamlet), I believe this is the Timon which we've settled for ma-king lear-ned references for comic effect.

On a more comic-related note, who are those guys in the background? They must have been in the original film, but I don't remember them at all.

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Isn't it Anakin's :edit: or wait, qui-gon's :edit: midichlorians in Padme's body? It makes some degree of sense that the force ghost would be Anakin.
    There's also no reason they couldn't just take a screen-shot of Natalie Portman and add it into that scene in Anakin's place. George Lucas already demonstrated that one force ghost can be swapped out for another, after all.

23. - Top - End - #473

PirateGuy

There's also no reason they couldn't just take a screen-shot of Natalie Portman and add it into that scene in Anakin's place. George Lucas already demonstrated that one force ghost can be swapped out for another, after all.
    Eh, that'd really go against the premise so far though. Part of the fun in Darths & Droids is seeing how wild (and how different from the original material) the story can get while using nothing but 100% unaltered footage.

Edit: in fact, it's gotten so far by breaking out from any and every assumption from Star Wars, which is not what you guys are doing here. If we can't assume that Vader is the same person as Anakin, how can we assume that Vader will be there as a force ghost in the end? Or will even be redeemed, for that matter? I dunno, maybe Anakin does have a legit reason to be there in Force Ghost form. Maybe he's been subtly manipulating everything from the background ever since the end of Episode III as a ghost. That does sound like the sort of twist these guys would go for.
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2016-03-13 at 03:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    On a more comic-related note, who are those guys in the background? They must have been in the original film, but I don't remember them at all.
    Imperial advisors.

And, yes, they've been there since the beginning. Remember being creeped out by them when I saw them as a kid.

=====

As for Anakin appearing at the end of RotJ, I'm betting his "midichlorian cloud" is trapped in the body of Vader. When Mom Vader dies, he'll be freed.

Slight possibility it's trapped in Palpatine's, which explains that weird funky explosion when he dies.

Still, betting on possession hijinks of some sort or another to explain most of what happens in the three hander. After all, it's one of the few SF/F tropes D&D hasn't explored yet.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The FAQ says that they are grabbing screencaps from the 2004 DVDs, so now I would expect him to look like Hayden Christensen, rather than Sebastian Shaw. Maybe Padmé can still look like Shaw when she is unmasked (depending on what screenshots are used), but it would have been pretty obvious that Shaw was male in the force ghost scene. Or maybe Padmé flees and someone else climbs into Darth's suit for giggles?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-03-13 at 04:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Anakin will just be one of the force tree ghosts I imagine.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Today's comic reminds me of an old line, I can't remember who said it:

"Want to know the easiest way to steal something? Pick it up and walk out with it like you own it. If you do it with confidence almost everybody will just assume that you actually DO own it."

Also, LOL at that stealth insult code.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-03-15 at 05:52 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Does Luke know that Vader can sense him through the Force? I don't recall when that was discussed. (And if he remembered it on his lonesome that makes him much smarter than his film counterpart)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

29. - Top - End - #479

Given the other speech balloon, I think he just stumbled into another one of the Twelve Steps to Greater Jedi-ness.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Does Luke know that Vader can sense him through the Force? I don't recall when that was discussed. (And if he remembered it on his lonesome that makes him much smarter than his film counterpart)
    They connected telepathically while Luke was in the tree on Dagobah. Yoda later discussed it with Luke while he was hanging upside down.