New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Darths and Droids V: Thread IV Was Eaten By Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Fair enuf. Not much more I can add so all I can say is that the implications from the scene in question doesn't bother me and at most rises to the classical definition of Fridge Logic (on the way to the fridge you say, "waitaminute").
    Spoiler: Better late than never.
    Show

Yeah. I think I'm much more immersed in the overall Star Wars universe than you (not trying to be competitive about it, I love when others read all the books as well because that makes the conversations so much more in-depth), so things that are slightly out of whack do bother me more than others due to more than just personal taste. There's an Ep. VIII thread going on in the Media Discussions area where we're currently talking about how the new movies ignore the effects of gravity wells on hyperdrives.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-07 at 07:39 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yeah. I think I'm much more immersed in the overall Star Wars universe than you (not trying to be competitive about it, I love when others read all the books as well because that makes the conversations so much more in-depth), so things that are slightly out of whack do bother me more than others due to more than just personal taste.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's an Ep. VIII thread going on in the Media Discussions area where we're currently talking about how the new movies ignore the effects of gravity wells on hyperdrives.
    I wouldn't actually take that bet, personally. I just tend to be chill about a lot of things. Especially lately.

(Spoilered to be more safe than sorry after PM exchange with Peelee)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Also, it's not so much ignoring the effects of gravity wells in the new movies as overriding the navicomputers shrieking their heads off )
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-07 at 07:39 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

It is so nice to see people using spoilers. Thank you.

Gravity wells and hyperspace drives? Hmm. Considering that there is a gravity well everywhere, and according to general relativity, you never notice a gravity well around you (seriously; you notice when something pushes you against a gravity well. You notice being on the surface of the earth, not falling in space in geosynch orbit), an immediate question is "what effect?"

Well, you could say that there's a problem with going from a deep well to a less deep area. But that's a delta-well issue, and almost certainly just a question of technology and power. Sufficiently advanced tech, say Ofan transport ships, should have no problem; sufficiently advanced power, such as Petey's galactic core powered teleporter, should have no problem. Even just crossing from one point in the galaxy to another point in the galaxy is almost certain to cross a gravity well, so unless you did something strange like fly straight across a black hole's light-trap radius, you should not have any problem.

And if that were the only problem (delta-well), then you could use it inside one well to go elsewhere in the same well, right? At least, maybe not to the opposite side, but perhaps 1/3rd of the way around?

To me, the biggest issue is not "gravity wells", it's "atmosphere". Imagine a star trek ship going into hyperspace above San Fransisco inside the earth's atmosphere and taking large chunks of air with it along the way. You could almost see that fans would riot :-).
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Imagine a star trek ship going into hyperspace above San Fransisco inside the earth's atmosphere and taking large chunks of air with it along the way. You could almost see that fans would riot :-).
    SW Rebels spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show
    While we don't quite know the details since it's only in a trailer for Season 4, it does appear that someone has gotten the bright idea of weaponizing jumping into hyperspace as they approach the open hanger of a space station.

Bloody terrorists.

So, somewhat similar to what you're thinking here.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #1205

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't actually take that bet, personally. I just tend to be chill about a lot of things. Especially lately.

(Also, it's not so much ignoring the effects of gravity wells in the new movies as overriding the navicomputers shrieking their heads off )
    Spoiler: Juuuuust in case
    Show

Nsvicomputers can be as quiet as they want. Interdictors will still stop you from jumping, or pull you out.

Also, not being constantly vocal about Star Wars is a clear indication of level of fandom. I kid, of course, my galactic friend.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-08 at 12:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    It is so nice to see people using spoilers. Thank you.

Gravity wells and hyperspace drives? Hmm. Considering that there is a gravity well everywhere, and according to general relativity, you never notice a gravity well around you (seriously; you notice when something pushes you against a gravity well. You notice being on the surface of the earth, not falling in space in geosynch orbit), an immediate question is "what effect?"
    Any effect the writers want, given that hyperspace travel is utterly fictitious. Between that and the fact that gravity is one of the things modern physics still hasn't quite figured out, we don't really have any room to say how things 'should work'. (The space opera writer's dream!) As I understand it, the complaint is that the new movies seem to be working under different rules than the old* expanded universe.

*and possibly bits of the new one too, I think an Interdictor cruiser shows up in the Rebels show? Not sure.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Nsvicomputers can be as quiet as they want. Interdictors will still stop you from jumping, or pull you out.

Also, not being constantly vocal about Star Wars is a clear indication of level of fandom. I kid, of course, my galactic friend.
    Nerdity time.

(Spoilered to be More Safe Than Sorry after a PM exchange with Peelee)

Spoiler
    Show
    As I understand Current Lore (as opposed to Legends), Interdictors project a gravity well and the navicomputers see said well and say "Whoops, I'm in the middle of a planet here, better not allow a jump" and or yank you out of hyperspace.

However, as I also understand it, Interdictors have only shown up in Rebels, mostly in prototype form, with stray mentions elsewhere in a couple of books.

And as I further understand it, jumps are possible within a planetary gravity well, though highly highly HIGHLY not-recommended, as seen as far back as The Clone Wars TV series (in Jedi Crash, though there it was an accident).

The reason jumping in to a planet's gravity well is not recommended is that, well, if you're a millisecond off in calculations you go SPLAT. It'd take someone pretty insane to do that sort of thing, let me tell you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sayin', just sayin'.

How exactly that works with the Interdictor field hasn't exactly been fleshed out, FWIU, in current canon.

===

I now venture into the realm of guesswork to suggest that perhaps there's a reason why they didn't show up all that much in the OT films (ignoring the whole, 'not invented until WEG came up with them' real world answer). Further guessing would lead me to think that there might be a cuttoff point from where one can't physically enter hyperspace for whatever reason and a dropoff point past a certain distance where one can override the navicomputer and take off anyway.

Bit of threading the needle here, but there you are.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-07 at 07:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Spoiler: and one more for good measure. on phone, and cooking, so I'm shoving the text I'm replying to in here as well
    Show
    Nerdity time.

As I understand Current Lore (as opposed to Legends), Interdictors project a gravity well and the navicomputers see said well and say "Whoops, I'm in the middle of a planet here, better not allow a jump" and or yank you out of hyperspace.

However, as I also understand it, Interdictors have only shown up in Rebels, mostly in prototype form, with stray mentions elsewhere in a couple of books.
    Fully functional Interdictors are in Heir to the Jedi, putting an embargo on getting off a planet. If all that was needed to get around this was to silence a navicomputer, that would hav e been done by most likely the protagonists (who arguably could have calculated a rudimentary jump without a navicomputer to escape the planet, and then turn it back on to finish their journey).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-08-07 at 07:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Fully functional Interdictors are in Heir to the Jedi, putting an embargo on getting off a planet. If all that was needed to get around this was to silence a navicomputer, that would hav e been done by most likely the protagonists (who arguably could have calculated a rudimentary jump without a navicomputer to escape the planet, and then turn it back on to finish their journey).
    Hence the speculation I made at the end of my post about cutoff points between ill-advised and impossible.

(HttJ is one of the books I haven't read yet, BTW - Any good?)
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-08-07 at 07:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1210

Hence the speculation I made at the end of my post about cutoff points between ill-advised and impossible.

(HttJ is one of the books I haven't read yet, BTW - Any good?)
    Eh. Better than Aftermath by a long shot, but it's written in first person. Aside from that and a couple of really bad math jokes (and keep in mind I'm a person who loves really bad math jokes, and these....these were bad), it's pretty good.

Still think Space Romeo & Juliet is the best New canon book so far, though. Admittedly, I've only gone through a half of them yer.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Eh. Better than Aftermath by a long shot, but it's written in first person. Aside from that and a couple of really bad math jokes (and keep in mind I'm a person who loves really bad math jokes, and these....these were bad), it's pretty good.

Still think Space Romeo & Juliet is the best New canon book so far, though. Admittedly, I've only gone through a half of them yer.
    Thnx. I'll shove it way down the list then. Was in the middle of Rebels Rising, but putting it off because I'm not especially in the mood for "Let's Make The Protagonists' Life Miserable, And Then Heap Even More Misery On Them Because MUWHAHAHAHAHAHA" right now thanks to various things happening in RL.

---

Err... Kinda got off on a tangent there. Sorry all.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thnx. I'll shove it way down the list then. Was in the middle of Rebels Rising, but putting it off because I'm not especially in the mood for "Let's Make The Protagonists' Life Miserable, And Then Heap Even More Misery On Them Because MUWHAHAHAHAHAHA" right now thanks to various things happening in RL.

---

Err... Kinda got off on a tangent there. Sorry all.
    Of all the threads to go off on a star wars tangent, I think this one is the most acceptable.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Of all the threads to go off on a star wars tangent, I think this one is the most acceptable.
    I mean, the comic practically is a Star Wars tangent.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Huh. Interesting.

Just... interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a screenshot from about 20+ minutes into the film. Maybe longer.

15. - Top - End - #1215

PirateGuy

Is... the whole thing going to be in sepia tones?

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Is... the whole thing going to be in sepia tones?
    I expect it is a transition phase that will move to a normal view as the 'game' gets underway.
    A 'Dorothy steps out into Oz' moment soon.

Caveat: I have not seen the movie so, as far as I know, the entire film is in sepia.
    Last edited by stsasser; 2017-08-09 at 09:59 AM.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I just say I was extremely disappointed that K-2SO never referred to anybody as a meatbag? They had a perfectly good sociopathic death robot and they squandered him!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #1218

I always secretly add a 4 to the end of the droids name, because I am easily amused.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Firbolg in the Playground

I guess Sally being the robot is something I should have seen coming.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I guess Sally being the robot is something I should have seen coming.
    Yeah, that's something I figured would happen... although, I was wondering if I'd be surprised.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

21. - Top - End - #1221

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    In the same vein, I shouldn't have been surprised that Pete is playing Chirrut.
    Last edited by Yana; 2017-08-14 at 06:33 AM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

Just a reminder about this, given that we are meeting a lot of characters:

Quote Originally Posted by dmmaus View Post
    Thanks everyone for hiding spoilers, especially given that Keybounce hangs out here. One specific thing that I also requested in my own forums is that names of characters from Rogue One should be treated as spoilers, until such time as they are revealed in-comic.

I know this is tricky but I definitely thank you for your effort!

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Firbolg in the Playground

New page...
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the transcript it looks like "Saw" is actually going to be Kyle Katarn, and that Jim is playing him. That's consistent with Episode IV stating that Jim played Kyle Katarn, and explains how it can be consistent with RO,
    which retconned Kyle out of canon. Also, given how quickly Saw dies in the movie, it's consistent with Jim having a new character die every session before he makes Han.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2017-08-13 at 10:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1224

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    New page...
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the transcript it looks like "Saw" is actually going to be Kyle Katarn, and that Jim is playing him. That's consistent with Episode IV stating that Jim played Kyle Katarn, and explains how it can be consistent with RO,
    which retconned Kyle out of canon. Also, given how quickly Saw dies in the movie, it's consistent with Jim having a new character die every session before he makes Han.
    Spoiler
    Show
    CALLED IT! As I said, Saw Gerrera got renamed "Kyle Katarn", Jyn Erso was renamed "Bria Tharen", Jeddah is now Danuta (sort of, it's still "Jedha" as well), and most likely Scarif is Toprawa. We know "Kyle" dies early on, and "Bria" near the end (together with Cassian and the rest of the crew). All we have to see is how they're going to fit in their previous assertion that Bail Organa was Jim's character as well (presumably after Kyle dies), and dies piloting a ship, at some point before the big climax at "Toprawa".

And let me say, being a huge Dune fan, I think keybounce's headcanon is awesome
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2017-08-13 at 06:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    All we have to see is how they're going to fit in their previous assertion that Bail Organa was Jim's character as well (presumably after Kyle dies), and dies piloting a ship, at some point before the big climax at "Toprawa".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Easy. "Hey, I can ram the Star Destroyers with my conveniently ramming-shaped spaceship, right?" "Uh... I guess... except it'll probably kill you." "FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

26. - Top - End - #1226

BlackDragon

You're welcome, Sir Kazom. (Can't quote you, or I'd see that spoiler)
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Just a reminder about this, given that we are meeting a lot of characters:
    To be fair, no names have been tossed out that aren't in the transcript.

Also, gotta say, I stopped reading halfway through keybounce's commentary. There's reactions and commentary of people who took the challenge, and then there's ridiculously long, overly-detailed thought processes. The former I find interesting, the latter I do not.

No offense meant, keybounce. Just not my cup o' tea.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, oops. I missed that. I don't really read those, though I probably should have in this instance...

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Jyn being a GM NPC seems to indicate that Jim will be playing her. He'll presumably take her over after Saw gets fragged. Jim -> Jyn also works pretty well for keeping the names similar too.

30. - Top - End - #1230

BlackDragon

Also, gotta say, I stopped reading halfway through keybounce's commentary. There's reactions and commentary of people who took the challenge, and then there's ridiculously long, overly-detailed thought processes. The former I find interesting, the latter I do not.

No offense meant, keybounce. Just not my cup o' tea.
    Not to worry. Some people have trouble with wall-o-texts. I mean, we've even had ... [continues]

((Hey, sorry if I came across the wrong way. Yes, I am trying to share my thought-process while reading these comics. I just got 1538, and it's still a bit confusing. You'll probably hate my write up for it. ))

[continued] ... and that's why we had to scuttle the ship. Any questions?