New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Indominous Rex?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Default Indominous Rex?

I searched ten pages of this forum to see if someone had already done it, because it seemed like such a gimme. but here it is, I suppose.
    My players and I recently went and saw Jurassic World, and, as all things do, our thoughts turned to how they would face such a monster if it came up in our campaign. Who would die first? Could they even kill the monster without a summoned Mosasaurus? And how would the abilities it demonstrated translate to the game in the first place?
    So I pitch it to the Playground: Stat out the I. Rex?
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Indominous Rex?

Advanced Tyrannosaurus with Clever Critter.

Maybe give it two appropriately-sized claw attacks. Tacking on a Mass Charm Monster SLA makes sense too.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-06-26 at 03:13 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    My players and I recently went and saw Jurassic World, and, as all things do, our thoughts turned to how they would face such a monster if it came up in our campaign. Who would die first? Could they even kill the monster without a summoned Mosasaurus? And how would the abilities it demonstrated translate to the game in the first place?
    Obviously high strength, constitution, and dexterity. Good intelligence, terrible wisdom but a surprisingly high will save seems appropriate, good charisma.
    Good stealth and a massive bonus while stationary.
    Very high damage reduction and possibly some fast heal, given how it got shot a bunch without slowing down.
    Maybe a permanent Aura of Dread effect.
    Ability to cast Mass Charm Animal (dinosaurs only).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

It is a slightly bigger coelurosaurian dinosaur with a literally magical ability to hide from heat, because gigantothermy, and a natural bonus to hide checks in wooded areas. Does PF even have thermal vision?

Edit: based on size difference and relative combat abilities you wouldn't even need to advance it. You just need the claws.
    Also I want to note that the camouflage of animals such as the cuttlefish works in major part because they can flex their skin into complex shapes while discoloring it.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-06-26 at 03:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Its Stealth bonus shouldn't be limited to specific enviroments, but should take some time to kick in, probably either a Round (initiating as a Free Action) or like Move Action to activate.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Without more sophisticated mechanisms it is going to stick out handily in open areas, hence my suggestion to keep it to wooded areas. More accurately it would be any area with structures the same size as i.rex that is also sufficiently dense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm. The abilities it actually demonstrated in the film were:
    - Body temperature control: closest analogue to thermal vision is blindsense/sight, but that doesn't quite work.
    - Very high strength: Around 32 seems appropriate, since that's the strength of a T-Rex in Pathfinder.
    - good sense of smell: Blindsense would work here, I think.
    - Camouflage: Perhaps give it +10 if moving, +20 if standing still? Half the bonuses of invisibility seems appropriate.
    - raptor charming: Either regular or mass charm animal; took about 24 seconds / 4 rounds to suborn 4 raptors.

That said, if you're willing to go beyond just the abilities it shows clearly on screen, and don't mind cheese, the following special abilities capture the Indominous Rex more accurately, I think:

You Spliced WHAT Into It's Genes!? (su)
    It turns out that mad scientists may be just a bit too enthusiastic when given the opportunity to play god.

Three times per day, the Indominous Rex may manifest any extraordinary ability possessed by a creature with the animal type, taking one minute to do so. Once manifested, abilities last one day. Examples of possible abilities include body temperature control, camouflage, and animal speech.
    Millions of Years of Evolution (su)
    Everyone knows that nature never evolves into dead ends.

The natural, finely honed instincts of the Indominous Rex help it find the best course of action possible, taking into account information it shouldn't possibly know. Three times per day as a swift action, the Indominous Rex automagically discovers the best course of action to thwart an enemy. Examples of information given by this ability include knowing that the enemy has thermal cameras and will breach containment if you pretend to escape, knowing to remove the implanted tracker, and knowing the location of a cage full of inexplicably hostile pterosaurs when harassed by a flying enemy.
    Eat The Camera to Remain Offscreen (su)
    It's always possible, so long as nobody is watching.

Once per day, the Indominous Rex may spend one minute to accomplish some task that it would not be capable of doing. Should it be observed during this one-minute period, the action retroactively fails. Examples may include clawing out an implanted tracker, despite not having any limbs capable of doing so.
    Last edited by Abodmuthkat; 2015-06-26 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fix reference to animal as subtype

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd just give it nondetection at CL=CR. It evades cameras and detection throughout the movie, that seems appropriate, along with a camouflage bonus.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Abodmuthkat View Post
    - Body temperature control: closest analogue to thermal vision is blindsense/sight, but that doesn't quite work.
    - Very high strength: Around 32 seems appropriate, since that's the strength of a T-Rex in Pathfinder.
    - Camouflage: Perhaps give it +10 if moving, +20 if standing still? Half the bonuses of invisibility seems appropriate.
    - raptor charming: Either regular or mass charm animal; took about 24 seconds / 4 rounds to suborn 4 raptors.

That said, if you're willing to go beyond just the abilities it shows clearly on screen, and don't mind cheese, the following special abilities capture the Indominous Rex more accurately, I think:
    THIS IS AMAZING. Good work, Abodmuthkat. Ten points to the Hogwarts house of your choice.

So how does this stat line look, improved from a standard T-Rex?

Str 32, Dex 16, Con 22, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 15

We'll give it a raptor's claw attacks and a tail-slap, since that thing's tail was BRUTALLY effective. It'll keep Swallow Whole as well, maybe some sort of rend since those claws are so vicious? IR vision represented by Blindsight, let it keep its scent, and some standard-action variant of Hide in Plain Sight or Camouflage?
    Also, T-Rex is Gargantuan, and the I-Rex is noted to be bigger by a bit. Should it go up to Colossal? They note it's over fifty feet long and I believe that's within Colossal parameters.
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

First I would recommend increasing Wis to 15 to match t-rex; I do not seeing less wise as something I.red possesses. Also for good smell use scent, it is accurate to the movie and perfectly replicates a good sense of smell.
    As a fun note t.rex probably had exceptional vision, so a bonus to spot for i.rex would be applicable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    First I would recommend increasing Wis to 15 to match t-rex; I do not seeing less wise as something I.red possesses. Also for good smell use scent, it is accurate to the movie and perfectly replicates a good sense of smell.
    As a fun note t.rex probably had exceptional vision, so a bonus to spot for i.rex would be applicable.
    I lowered the wisdom because I. Rex was bred in captivity and isolation and wouldn't have any way of learning the complex survival mechanisms that the T Rex would have been able to learn socially. And I let it keep its scent, but as you noted, PF doesn't have a good representation of IR Vision (Although I will check the Technology Guide and see what futuretech has to say about that) so Blindsense is as good as it gets for sensing thermal signatures. I could raise the wisdom and drop the Charisma; being bred in isolation means a complete lack of social skills, but it can communicate with and influence raptors, and also is super-on-point with the Intimidate and Bluff skills.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

On size, the Indominus Rex was only marginally larger than the T-Rex. Unless you consider the T-Rex being on the larger size of Gargantuan, the Indominus wouldn't push it beyond that.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #13

OrcBarbarianGuy

Every geneticist in the world is probably crying right now (just when there was finally hope genetic modification could be accepted as a practical utility. Thanks hollywood).
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Use a T-Rex with the monster of, wait for it, Legend template.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Use a T-Rex with the monster of, wait for it, Legend template.
    A +2 CR Template (even if it does modify the monster in most of the ways it needs to be modified) hardly seems to do the Indominous justice. I also looked at the Magebred template...by their powers combined, perhaps?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    On size, the Indominus Rex was only marginally larger than the T-Rex. Unless you consider the T-Rex being on the larger size of Gargantuan, the Indominus wouldn't push it beyond that.
    T. rex was Huge in 3.5, though Gargantuan in D20 Modern. I'd put it at the low-end rather than the high-end.

If you adjusted its posture to "lizardman" style - it wouldn't be much more than 4 times the height of a lizardman - more appropriate for Huge than Gargantuan, given that size categories progress geometrically (Large is double height of Medium, Huge is double height of Large, Gargantuan is double height of Huge).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    T. rex was Huge in 3.5, though Gargantuan in D20 Modern. I'd put it at the low-end rather than the high-end.

If you adjusted its posture to "lizardman" style - it wouldn't be much more than 4 times the height of a lizardman - more appropriate for Huge than Gargantuan, given that size categories progress geometrically (Large is double height of Medium, Huge is double height of Large, Gargantuan is double height of Huge).
    Pathfinder says T-Rex is Gargantuan, with an average length of 40ft, and the Gargantuan size category being between 32ft and 60ft. Movie specifically says I-Rex is 50ft (placing it solidly in the middle of that category), then later says "Bigger than expected." Knowing now the specifics of the category, I'd say I-Rex is still Gargantuan rather than Colossal because I doubt it exceeded its creators' expectations by over ten feet, even if we all know that a 40ft wall (like the I-Rex paddock was sporting) is no match for a 30+ Str score and a maxed-out and well-rolled climb or acrobatics skill.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Eat The Camera to Remain Offscreen (su)
    It's always possible, so long as nobody is watching.

Once per day, the Indominous Rex may spend one minute to accomplish some task that it would not be capable of doing. Should it be observed during this one-minute period, the action retroactively fails. Examples may include clawing out an implanted tracker, despite not having any limbs capable of doing so.
    This is so funny. That really made me laugh.
    Last edited by Melcar; 2015-06-28 at 06:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    A +2 CR Template (even if it does modify the monster in most of the ways it needs to be modified) hardly seems to do the Indominous justice. I also looked at the Magebred template...by their powers combined, perhaps?
    The bolded part here is what I want to highlight. You've got a template that mostly accomplishes what you want. Use that. The idea that the Indominus Rex would be some kind of super creature in a world with dragons, angels, demons and genies is a bit silly. It wasn't that much larger or stronger than the actual T-Rex, and most of what happened in that movie was (as is typical of Jurassic Park films) the result of incredible amounts of human stupidity. I-Rex got lucky.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Why is everyone so adamant about Charm Animal SLAs? He has Int 3+ and took ranks in Handle Animal OR Intimidate. With the standard HD a T-Rex has you'd get 18 ranks worth of Handle Animal. Just imagine a hefty situational bonus as well.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

So here's what I've got so far.

Spoiler: INDOMINOUS REX
    Show
    Indominous Rex CR 14

N Gargantuan animal
    Init +8; Senses: low-light vision, blindsense 60ft, scent; Perception +36
    DEFENSE
    AC 29, touch 10, flat-footed 25 (+4 Dex, +19 natural, –4 size)
    HP 286 (22d8+198)
    Fort +25, Ref +18, Will +14
    OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft.
    Melee: Bite +32 (4d6+32/19–20 plus Grab), Foreclaws +32 (2d8+16/20 plus Grab), Tail Slap +27 (2d8+8/20)
    Space 20 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
    SPECIAL ATTACKS
    Swallow Whole (2d8+16, AC 19, hp 15)
    STATISTICS
    Str 42 (+16), Dex 19 (+4), Con 29 (+9), Int 4 (-3), Wis 17 (+3), Cha 14 (+2)
    Base Attack +16; CMB +28 (+32 grapple); CMD 39
    FEATS
    Bleeding Critical, Critical Focus, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Run, Skill Focus (Perception), Multiattack
    SKILLS
    Perception +36; Stealth +25, Handle Animal +24
    SPECIAL QUALITIES
    Fast Healing (Ex): An I-Rex regains lost hit points at the rate of 5 per round. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow the I-Rex to regrow or reattach lost body parts.
    Damage Reduction (Su): 10/+1.
    Camouflage (Ex): The Indominous Rex can use the Stealth skill to hide in jungle, woodland, or marshy terrain, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Frightful Presence (Ex): When an Indominous Rex makes a loud sound (a roar, growl, or other sound appropriate to its form), it inspires terror in all creatures within 20 feet that have fewer Hit Dice or levels than it has. Each potentially affected opponent must succeed at a Will save (DC 23) or become shaken - a condition that lasts until the opponent is out of range. A successful save leaves that opponent immune to that I-Rex's frightful presence for 24 hours.
    Powerful Bite (Ex): An Indominous applies twice its Strength modifier to bite damage.
    Last edited by Uhtred; 2015-06-29 at 10:56 PM.