New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ #56: Prismatic Spray!

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Spoiler: Bad stuff
    Show
    So... A convicted serial rapist is being released to public housing near my old community.

There are a lot of people NIMBing. Some people making threats against his life (which I reported). I, a victim of childhood sexual assault, am the only person standing up for his right to exist somewhere as best I can tell.

And I feel awful... Like, I don't feel like I can do less than I've done and live with myself, but the very topic is stirring up all of the old issues, and I'm being treated as a rape apologist because rape is clearly only ever a women's issue in the minds of at least one person who started attacking me.

So... I could use a hug.
    Hug? Hugs. Definitely hugs.

I have never had to deal with things like that directly, but that is part of why I mentioned the weird difficulty of separating a call for reform from an angry mob. I hope things work out. And I hope the man leads a better life given now that he has the chance.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    So... A convicted serial rapist is being released to public housing near my old community.

There are a lot of people NIMBing. Some people making threats against his life (which I reported). I, a victim of childhood sexual assault, am the only person standing up for his right to exist somewhere as best I can tell.

And I feel awful... Like, I don't feel like I can do less than I've done and live with myself, but the very topic is stirring up all of the old issues, and I'm being treated as a rape apologist because rape is clearly only ever a women's issue in the minds of at least one person who started attacking me.

So... I could use a hug.
    All my hugs.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Golly: More Hugs.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Feeling better, thanks guys. Went for a long walk, shook it off...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Banned

Show

So... I could use a hug.
    It's a very noble thing you did, Golly. Actually quite proud of you, a lot of people wouldn't even consider doing that. *offers lots of hugs*

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaand it's not okay again.

Spoiler
    Show
    I took the four hour walk to let go of all the negativity, and it helped: maybe nothing will make any of this okay, but it helped. But now I can't sleep because of a sunburn I picked up on my walk-it-off earlier. So I checked facebook.

There's a new flurry of activity from people I used to know, many of whom used to pick on me specifically about my own history... They're talking about weapons, and lynching, and about how they're speaking for the victims of sexual assault.

And if I hadn't been blocked from the discussions, I would scream at them for the presumption of DARING to speak for me. How DARE they!!!

A man who, as a boy, made my life a living hell through victim blaming has BLOCKED ME FROM POSTING ON HIS PAGE so he can talk about "justice for victims" without dissenting voices.

I want to let all this go, but I can't let this go. I CANNOT let this GO, not from that community of all places. I have never been so angry in my adult life.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I took the four hour walk to let go of all the negativity, and it helped: maybe nothing will make any of this okay, but it helped. But now I can't sleep because of a sunburn I picked up on my walk-it-off earlier. So I checked facebook.

There's a new flurry of activity from people I used to know, many of whom used to pick on me specifically about my own history... They're talking about weapons, and lynching, and about how they're speaking for the victims of sexual assault.

And if I hadn't been blocked from the discussions, I would scream at them for the presumption of DARING to speak for me. How DARE they!!!

A man who, as a boy, made my life a living hell through victim blaming has BLOCKED ME FROM POSTING ON HIS PAGE so he can talk about "justice for victims" without dissenting voices.

I want to let all this go, but I can't let this go. I CANNOT let this GO, not from that community of all places. I have never been so angry in my adult life.
    *hugs* You are a good person Golentan. I am sorry I can't do more for you except send hugs.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    *hugs* You are a good person Golentan. I am sorry I can't do more for you except send hugs.
    I'm not a good person. I am an ANGRY person. All I'm doing is desperately trying to channel that into something nondestructive right now so that I don't drown in it.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

I'm not a good person. I am an ANGRY person. All I'm doing is desperately trying to channel that into something nondestructive right now so that I don't drown in it.
    Sometimes the line between the two is blurred, it says a lot that you are trying to channel it into something .
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have devolved to screaming insults against some of the people in question, and if they were physically in front of me it would be a struggle to not physically strike them. I am not feeling noble in the least, I just feel sick... I don't need to be told I'm doing what's right, or that I'm a good person, I just want it to STOP. I want to not have to constantly struggle to do what's right, I want people to stop making it hard to do so, I want people to stop stirring that pot, I want people to stop making me be the bigger person, I want to scream and vent my rage physically on something breakable. I want to not be in the position of defending a monster from monsters because of principle.

I HATE people. I hate constantly worrying about whether the people I talk to are the good ones or the monsters. I hate all of the things that people have done to me, I hate that I am called a monster for advocating forgiveness or at worst avoidance for a being out of my blackest nightmares, I hate that right when I had a moment of real happiness, when I think I've escaped and put all this behind me I'm dragged back into this cycle, I hate that when I was growing up, when I was happy, when I liked people, I took a detour straight through twisted because I reached out to the wrong person, I hate that I still don't know how to deal with people in a positive way consistently...

I HATE ALL THIS.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I appreciate the words and support, but this whole thing is hitting me right in the baggage that I've never managed to unload on pretty much every level...
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

First, hugs for the first part.
    Second, hugs for this parts.
    Third, what the hell.
    Fourth, you're definitely a good person (better than I, at any rate, but it's not like I set a high standard). Being angry and being good aren't mutually exclusive. There's something borderline evil about speaking up for people you're silencing IMHO. You probably have good reasons for not explaining why exactly your voice is worth being paid attention to in this mess (well, for explaining it to those who weren't dumb enough to be asses about it despite knowing, of course). Still, this is horrifying.
    *mumbles something about showing these morons the White Bear episode of Black Mirror* and teach a lesson about mobs and punishment*

EDIT: you're right, you shouldn't be the one to do or live that, nonetheless.
    I can't make it better. I can only guarantee you that this, too, shall pass.
    Sorry it's happening to you (happening at all, period).

*Black Mirror is a great series, but if you had a good day so far and want it to stay that way, don't watch it. In fact, even if you've had a bad day so far and don't want it to get worse, don't watch it, either.
    Last edited by Mono Vertigo; 2015-07-09 at 04:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I'm all cried out, the shakes have stopped, I'm gonna try to sleep again, and hope it's better in the morning...

Thank you so much, everyone... This community, right here, has done more to help me than anything else. This community helped me sort through all my confusion about my own identity as nobody else ever could, you've been here for me through the worst and the best... If it weren't for this community, I'd never have met the love of my life. This community has kept me sane, kept me connected to the world when I was most isolated, and there's nothing I can do to properly express how much it means, both in the abstract and to some of you in particular. Thanks for everything, and I'll see you tomorrow, and the day after, and so on.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Good night, Golentan.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Spamalot in the Playground

My hopefully-not-too-lighthearted advice is to fire up a brawling/fighting game of some kind. Bayonetta, or God of War, or MK etc. Something brutal and cathartic that lets you just pound some pixels into bloody submission and check out from the world for a bit.

Also, blast some heavy metal or gangsta rap at full volume, just because.

And feel better!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I have devolved to screaming insults against some of the people in question, and if they were physically in front of me it would be a struggle to not physically strike them. I am not feeling noble in the least, I just feel sick... I don't need to be told I'm doing what's right, or that I'm a good person, I just want it to STOP. I want to not have to constantly struggle to do what's right, I want people to stop making it hard to do so, I want people to stop stirring that pot, I want people to stop making me be the bigger person, I want to scream and vent my rage physically on something breakable. I want to not be in the position of defending a monster from monsters because of principle.

I HATE people. I hate constantly worrying about whether the people I talk to are the good ones or the monsters. I hate all of the things that people have done to me, I hate that I am called a monster for advocating forgiveness or at worst avoidance for a being out of my blackest nightmares, I hate that right when I had a moment of real happiness, when I think I've escaped and put all this behind me I'm dragged back into this cycle, I hate that when I was growing up, when I was happy, when I liked people, I took a detour straight through twisted because I reached out to the wrong person, I hate that I still don't know how to deal with people in a positive way consistently...

I HATE ALL THIS.
    I'm all cried out, the shakes have stopped, I'm gonna try to sleep again, and hope it's better in the morning...

Thank you so much, everyone... This community, right here, has done more to help me than anything else. This community helped me sort through all my confusion about my own identity as nobody else ever could, you've been here for me through the worst and the best... If it weren't for this community, I'd never have met the love of my life. This community has kept me sane, kept me connected to the world when I was most isolated, and there's nothing I can do to properly express how much it means, both in the abstract and to some of you in particular. Thanks for everything, and I'll see you tomorrow, and the day after, and so on.
    Sleep well, Golly. I know you don't feel good, but I am incredibly proud of what you're doing here and proud to be able to call you a friend. Even if it's not perfect, even if you think you're just filled with anger and hate and negativity, you ARE doing the right thing and you're trying desperately to get other people to see it. To quote some of the Giant's excellent writing here, whether you succeed or fail does not diminish the nobility of your effort.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

The one does not prevent the other. There is such a thing as justified anger.

I do agree that sometimes, when it all gets to be too much, finding another unrelated activity to unwind with for a while can be quite a relief. Best wishes!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Speaking from personal experience, things we might say or type while extremely angry or frustrated that seem perfectly acceptable at the time may not actually come out right when read in a less agitated state. So it's entirely possible for you to be totally in the right AND have committed any number of social media faux pas at the same time. I don't know if that's actually the case, but I have seen it happen before.

One thing I would suggest, if causing some destruction would be cathartic but you don't want to wallow in rage and anger, avoid the angry music and hardcore reflex-based fighting/shooting games (you're probably a bit shaky) and play a MOBA or RTS or something semi-silly like Smash Bros. While there's plenty of destruction there's usually not a whole lot of actual gore, to avoid the more toxic elements of the gaming community you can pound the AI into dust instead (even if you group with people).
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

19. - Top - End - #289

That's really rough. I don't even know what to say. I hope you feel better after sleeping. *hugs*?
    Jude P.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, things we might say or type while extremely angry or frustrated that seem perfectly acceptable at the time may not actually come out right when read in a less agitated state. So it's entirely possible for you to be totally in the right AND have committed any number of social media faux pas at the same time. I don't know if that's actually the case, but I have seen it happen before.

One thing I would suggest, if causing some destruction would be cathartic but you don't want to wallow in rage and anger, avoid the angry music and hardcore reflex-based fighting/shooting games (you're probably a bit shaky) and play a MOBA or RTS or something semi-silly like Smash Bros. While there's plenty of destruction there's usually not a whole lot of actual gore, to avoid the more toxic elements of the gaming community you can pound the AI into dust instead (even if you group with people).
    You'd recommend a MOBA to someone trying to get over being angry? I'm not sure you've played many MOBAs.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

The hits kept coming today, so I went ahead and had an emergency therapy session and I'm cutting facebook out of my life for a couple days at least. I'm gonna ask that folks move on and be happy, and I'm gonna try to do the same.

On which note, watching the Daily Show's month of Zen it's amazing how far and how fast LGBT issues have come in the past 12 years... I'm glad to be alive in this time, and I hope I've played a part however small in the change we've seen!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground

The hits kept coming today, so I went ahead and had an emergency therapy session and I'm cutting facebook out of my life for a couple days at least. I'm gonna ask that folks move on and be happy, and I'm gonna try to do the same.

On which note, watching the Daily Show's month of Zen it's amazing how far and how fast LGBT issues have come in the past 12 years... I'm glad to be alive in this time, and I hope I've played a part however small in the change we've seen!
    I don't know about the cultural changes we've seen on the issue, but you've had a huge part to play in my life. You (among a lot of other people here) helped me find who I am, and helped lift me out of my darkness several times. I would not be where I am today without you, Golly, and for that, I cannot thank you enough .

That goes exactly the same for quite a few other people here, too. You know who you are, so I'm not going to name names (unless you want me to, that is ).

~Phoenix~
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

So I've got to the point where I can look in the mirror in my underwear, and not be able to see anything but a woman
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Grats! :) I'm glad you can see what we all know here :)

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    So I've got to the point where I can look in the mirror in my underwear, and not be able to see anything but a woman
    Lucky! I can't do that, yet...

But good on you! That's a major milestone!

How is the hormonization going, by-the-by? And fun and exciting changes yet?
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Lucky! I can't do that, yet...

But good on you! That's a major milestone!

How is the hormonization going, by-the-by? And fun and exciting changes yet?
    I have boobs! Small ones, but actual real boobs! That's about all I've noticed so far by way of physical changes. Maybe some facial shape softening? If so it's subtle.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I have boobs! Small ones, but actual real boobs! That's about all I've noticed so far by way of physical changes. Maybe some facial shape softening? If so it's subtle.
    Often facial changes aren't obvious unless you take pictures in a very similar pose. And even then, each picture may look about the same as the next, but when you compare the first and last you can see the changes.

Yay for boobs! A friend of mine also has boobs now and she's really happy about it. I think it's probably one of the most obvious changes since a lot of other changes are more subtle and less easy to track/measure.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations. I have small fatty boobs. Sometimes they are nice. Good luck Heliomance. With stuff or something.

Also I feel a bit down. But whatever.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Congratulations. I have small fatty boobs. Sometimes they are nice. Good luck Heliomance. With stuff or something.

Also I feel a bit down. But whatever.
    Please be well! You're a good person and I like you!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Please be well! You're a good person and I like you!
    Okay, and thank you. I'm doing fine overall. Just a little down. To tired to come up with some witty cheerful comment so sleep well everyone.