New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Scarlet Snow [IC]

As the beast collapses and he enjoys his moment of divine visitation, Voren realizes his work is not quite complete. Sheathing his still steaming blade he hefts the broken corpse of the monster over one massive shoulder and moves through the falling snow to the edge of the shrines blessed ground.

Once he feels he is a suitable distance away he casually tosses the body against the bulk of some ancient tree. I not sure if this is even that things true form or just a broken vessel. In either case it needs to be destroyed utterly, can you help me old man?

Wordlessly the sword obliges and blazes into flame once again as it is drawn. With simple deft cuts the magus first bisects the Wendigo, and then cuts off each of its limbs. The mighty tree is also set ablaze by the supernatural flames, burning even in the midst of the blizzard. Carefully Voren separates the limbs among the trees roots and ensures they are reduced to less then ashes in the impromptu pyre.

When the grisly task is done he stumbles back to the shrine exhausted. Seating himself near the altar he sits as his spells fail and he reverts to his natural form. Not even noticing the snowdrift he is sat on he pulls some hardtack and water out of his backpack and starts to eat.

If nobody minds I think I will rest here a while.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Hoping to use the recuperation ability and burn an MP and an hours rest to gain the benefits of a full rest. running low on AP and spell slots.
    Awesome Tiefling Magus avatar complements of the amazing Smuchmuch!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Nira sat down in front of the altar, exhausted. "Took way too much to defeat that one," he muttered. It was just one battle, assisted by half a dozen allies, and he was nearly spent. His mind was already hard at work again, trying to devise other methods for putting down such fast and resilient creatures.

3. - Top - End - #243

AssassinGuy

That was tiring, chimes in Currial. I know we have places to be, but I'm thinking we should spend the night here and start out rested in the morning. It's been my experience that when you have someplace safe to rest, you should take advantage of it. And ya know...somehow....I feel safe here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    This is crazy talk, there's no such thing as too much Sleep!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

That was hard. That thing... Are they all like that?

I say we rest here, I'm exhausted. I think Sureblood is too. Eh, girl?
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

5. - Top - End - #245

AssassinGuy

Currial shrugs. No idea. But either way, I'm not a fan.

And with that, she digs out some trail rations, eats, feeds her horse, and turns in for 8 hours on her bedroll, right next to the altar.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Voren
    Show
    As you're burning the wendigo's corpse, you hear a sudden voice from the storm to your left, startling you a little. "Burning the trees?" it says. "Oh, naughty, naughty."

A second voice speaks up from your right. "But he killed the spirit, so we'll forgive him this time," it says.

A third voice continues from directly behind you. "We told the spirits to stay in their little house," it says. "But oh no, this one had to come out and play."

The first voice resumes speaking. "It angered the norns, it did. They don't like disruptions here."

The second voice makes a sound of agreement. "The norns might be angry at all the spirits now," it says.

"They'll be lucky to live out the year," the third voice concludes happily. "'Living,' of course, being defined in the loosest possible sense."

The three voices fall silent after that strange little interaction, and you finish your task without further disturbance.

Melody concentrates on her spell until well after the fear inspired by the wendigo would have faded on its own, then lowers her holy symbol with a sigh of relief. "That," she says, "was entirely too close for comfort. I'm also going to say we should probably stay here for a while. That fight was exhausting. Also, I'm not thrilled by the idea of traveling in this storm, and it doesn't look like it's anywhere near to over."
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

"This ward should last another... Just under twenty-two hours. If the storm hasn't abated by then, I can renew it. If we are all intent on staying here, I'm going to set up additional spells to ensure our privacy." With that, the wizard pulled out his spellbook and began studying it intently again.

Spoiler
    Show

Unless someone interrupts, he will prepare and cast Alarm and Mage's Private Sanctum with vacant spell slots, also centered on the altar. Afterwards, he will rest for eight hours.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vindira relaxes as the monster falls and the hostile presence fades. She seems faintly surprised as the power touches her mind, and a strange expression crosses her face before it settles into wry smile. Enlightenment. I knew it. She makes a polite gesture of refusal to the altar, the motion carrying a small measure of genuine respect with it. She turns back to the rest of the group. "I'm going to scout out the area, see if we stirred anything else up." Upon returning, Vindira reports her findings and settles into an exhausted sleep.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+37)[52]
    While away, she recasts Undetectable Alignment and Mythic Heroism.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Vindira
    Show
    It's a little tricky with the wind and snow, but you manage to work your way through the forest without too much difficulty. You notice a number of animals as you do, many of which seem slightly unearthly, as though the fey nature of the forest has sunk into them somewhat. All of them are currently inactive, mostly in various dens and shelters against the storm. Near the edge of the area you search, you also hear a mournful lullaby in Sylvan, being carried on the wind. For a moment you feel an irrational urge to follow the noise, but then the howling blizzard breaks up the sound and you shake it off.

10. - Top - End - #250

Vindira returns to the clearing. "Most of what's out there has gone to ground. The one exception was something singing, sounded like one of the fey, made me want to follow it. Any of you know what that was?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

"Meh, that was a horrible fight! First it was all hot and flames. Then the coward just ran away! We spend ages waiting, even the weather turned. And it was like all mist and misses! Ugggh." Skullsplicer whines to no one in particular.
    "Well, it could have gone way worse, we spend a minimal of resources and are unscathed. All our new allies are alive as well and the damages they suffered they seem to be able to handle." Linda reacts calmly to the barrage of her sword.
    "See! Boring. Nothing to get your heart pumping. This should have been an epic tale for ages. Now even the story about the time we cleaned rats out of a basement seems more interesting."
    "Those rats were pretty weird. In any case it seems we are resting, I am going to take up a defensive position again." Linda states as she leans against the sphere, not planning to step inside.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Like normal, Linda uses Skullsplicer to cast Keep watch.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

12. - Top - End - #252

Vindira casts a spell and settles into a relaxed stance, listening carefully to the forest around her.

Show
    Vindira burns a mythic point to cast Keep Watch. Didn't know about that one before, thanks Yanisa.

13. - Top - End - #253

Looking up from his meal for a few moments Voren warns those who have elected themselves Sentries We are a long way from alone out here, something spoke to me while I was burning its corpse, maybe several somethings. You cant see them with eyes alone though, spellcloaked or just that damn stealthy, I couldnt tell.

"They didnt seem to mean us harm, indeed I think they enjoyed the spectacle. Still others of their kind might not be so well inclined to our intrustion."

Between bites of his hasty meal the Tiefling dictates the odd conversation he overheard, hoping the groups sages or perhaps their local guide might be better able to make sense of it. I cant say as I really understand these Fey overmuch, too twisty and odd. Give me a good old angel or demon anyday, at least with those you know where you stand and what to expect.

Spoiler: OOC speech
    Show
    people should feel free to check Steinulfr's last spoilered post to Voren as he certainly has the INT to memorize and repeat the whole short conversation.
    Awesome Tiefling Magus avatar complements of the amazing Smuchmuch!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

As the group rested and recuperated, Nira had time to think long and hard on what the Norn had told them. Now here was a mystery, and one that concerned him personally. A deity sleeps in these woods, he recalled. The least of gods, so long asleep that its nature has been forgotten." He thought of all the legends and all the fragmented texts he had ever read, that might possibly be related to a now-forgotten god. Which religions had once existed in this part of the world, and then fallen out of favor? According to the legends, Desna was one of the first deities, but when was this shrine to Desna erected? Was the old religion displaced by the new, or had it vanished by the time the Desna-worshippers arrived?

To be a god is to be power incarnate, an idea given form and power.

History had a dozen forgotten gods for every fallen civilization, and then only if you count what had been recorded and survived for Nirallus to read. But the sort of idea that could be given form and power couldn't simply disappear from the world, could it? Perhaps the fey in these woods would remember what mortal histories had forgotten, but as Voren had just noted, they were notoriously tricky to deal with. And Nira didn't know this area well, he might not know where to start looking.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge check, with a Prescience roll:

(1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[7]
    (+26 if Religion, Arcana, Nature, or Planes, +16 if any other)

He will also spend one Mythic Power to use Flash of Omniscience ability to ask: "Where can I go to learn more about the deity that sleeps in these woods?" with an 84% success rate: (1d100)[35]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Nirallus
    Show
    You don't know when this shrine was first constructed, but Desna has been worshiped in this area for a very long time. You know that this forest contains one of the strongest known connections to the First World of the fey, and from what you recall that connection has existed since time immemorial, before even the oldest of Ulfen histories. If there is an ancient deity in the forest, it seems likely that it is in some way connected to the First World.

Then, in a burst of omniscience, you realize that there are many places you could go for more information, depending on what kind of information you want. Three sets of coordinates are particularly emphasized before your all-seeing eye, though. The first is a point in the forest 7250 feet east and 3122 feet south of your current position, at dusk of the coming night. The second is a temple of Shelyn in the Fire Quarter of Kalsgard, 17 days from now at a quarter of an hour past noon. The third is a small hut in the village of Solskinn, in northeastern Southmoor. Unlike the first two, the third coordinate does not include a time element.

The next several hours roll by as you rest. Nothing disturbs you during this time; now that the wendigo is gone, the shrine seems incredibly peaceful and sheltered, almost as though it's cut off from the perils of the outside world. This impression is only strengthened by the ongoing storm, which shows no signs of letting up.

Melody performs a quick cleansing ritual over the altar and then lays out a bedroll on the ground next to it and collapses into an exhausted slumber.

Eight hours later, the blizzard still rages. It is now edging on towards dusk.

Show
    You must choose your miracle before finishing your rest. If you do not choose something, I will assume you're hanging on to it as a SLA.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2015-09-08 at 11:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

Vindira spends some time freshening up and meditating after waking up. She gives the storm a dissatisfied look before turning to the others."I'd prefer we get moving. If we try to wait out the blizzard we'll be stranded here a couple days yet."

17. - Top - End - #257

AssassinGuy

Currial, wakes, yawns, has a little breakfast, feeds her horse looks around and agrees with Vindira.

Now that we're rested, its better to slog it out of here than just sit around. I don't want to feel pinned in to anywhere, especially since we have places to go, and time matters. By the way, I have some extra warm clothing if anyone needs it.

Voren, do you want me to provide a mount for the day?

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    She casts darkvision on herself and uses her rod to extend a mage armor on herself as well.and (presuming Voren takes her up on it) mount for him.
    Last edited by trysted; 2015-09-09 at 09:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Nira abruptly stood up and held a hand to his forehead, seemingly dazed. After a moment, he recovered enough to speak out loud, though he seemed to address no one in particular. "Recall what the Norn told us: 'The deity that sleeps in these woods is the least of gods, so long asleep that its nature has been forgotten. Yet even for it to brush against you as it stirs and begins to wake leaves you changed.' I think I have felt its influence just now," he said more authoritatively, now addressing each of his companions in turn. "And I for one am eager to learn more. To the southeast, precisely one-and-a-half miles from here, this very dusk, we may learn more. Exactly what or who awaits, or what the nature of the revelation will be, I do not know."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Kazu stretches out with a yawn while staying relaxed in the snow drift he'd layed down in. "If you want to try to navigate in this blizzard, go right ahead. I'd even have a hard time of it in these conditions."
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

20. - Top - End - #260

AssassinGuy

Currial shrugs nonchalantly. I'm intrigued. I'll join you on this excursion. I don't think it takes the best visibility to "go southeast" for a mile and half. And even in these conditions, it won't take us long, especially mounted. Or even flying.

21. - Top - End - #261

Vindira gives Nirallus a thoughtful look. "You've caught my interest. She raises an eyebrow at Kazu's comment, but shrugs and turns back to the rest of the group. "I will get you there if the furball can't."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: 7250 feet east and 3122 feet south, at dusk
    Show
    The blizzard continues to rage and howl, but you are able to make it to the space-time coordinate Nirallus saw as being particularly important.

When you reach it, it appears to be nothing more than an empty clearing in the trees. A minute or so later, however, the full moon peeks above the trees. As its light falls on the clearing, things suddenly change. The blizzard dies out within the clearing, and a city seems to fade into existence before your eyes. The outer walls are seventy feet high; inside, you can see slender towers that rise even higher. All of the buildings are made of a pale stone, the same color as the moonlight that shines upon it. Something about the city is strange, even beyond its unearthly appearance. It does not cast any shadow, and though it seems too large to fit within the clearing, there is plenty of space between the walls and the edge of the forest.

A slender, pale woman stands on the wall, watching you with incurious eyes. She is nude, and utterly without any hint of self-consciousness at being seen in this state. Her beauty is striking, but very much inhuman, her ears tapering to fine points above her head.

Spoiler: Knowledge (nature) DC 22
    Show
    The woman is actually a nymph. Fey creatures of unearthly beauty, nymphs often inspire unreasoning obsession in those who are captivated by their beauty; many, many mortals have been driven to death or madness in their pursuit of a nymph. Despite this, nymphs tend not to actually be malicious; most are either indifferent to or mildly regretful of the mortals that lose themselves to such obsessions. Although fairly benevolent creatures, nymphs are still fey, and as such often proud and capricious. Those who fail to respect a nymph, or who despoil the places of natural beauty she takes it upon herself to guard, often find that they have aroused the anger of a creature they are not remotely prepared to deal with.

Show
    You can attempt Knowledge (local) or Knowledge (nature) checks for information on the city.

23. - Top - End - #263

AssassinGuy

Currial adjusts her clothing for a more plain, yet dignified look.

"I don't know who she is or what that city is, but she certainly has style,
    she whispers softly. Nira, this is your show, I'll let you do the talking. But I suggest we be respectful, I believe the occasion deserves it.

Show
    The "adjust the clothing" is the shiftweave clothing in the form of a plain smock, followed by a prestidigitation to get the travel mud off both hers and her companion's clothing.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

"This is for all of us, remember. I just, somehow, knew to come here," the wizard replied softly. "Hail," he called out to the nymph, as he walked closer, unsure for now of what else to say.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Local): (1d20+16)[17]
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+26)[44]

Posting this to keep things moving along. It's very late (or early) so a list of prepared spells will have to come in the morning.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2015-09-13 at 03:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Adolin rides up with the rest of the group, flying on Sureblood.

Upon seeing the city, and the woman on the wall, his eyes go wide with awe.

"Wooooowwww, she's beautiful..."
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Nirallus
    Show
    From its appearance this can only be Nithveil, the City of the Moon. This fey city appears in the Material Plane only on nights of the full moon and the new moon; the rest of the time it is solidly within the First World of the fey. Its location in the Material is always somewhere within Grungir Forest, but beyond that it is entirely unpredictable from one occurrence to the next.

Local legends tell of many heroes who got their power from the City of the Moon, being given various fey boons by the residents.

From what you know of the fey, Nithveil is one of their major cities. Much of its population is transient, as it is the nature of the fey to change frequently, and many of them do not linger long in one place. There are many thousands of permanent residents, however, including all kinds of fey and many other things besides.

The city is ruled by three powerful fey beings, each of which governs different aspects of the city. All of those that sit the Moonlit Thrones are powerful in their own right, and granted more powers by their role within Nithveil. Within the city, they are a match for anything short of a demigod.

Entrance to the city is difficult for mortals. Sometimes a sacrifice is demanded, a toll of sorts, although the fey do not value money. Other times a challenge or a proof of worth is required. Even after entering, Nithveil is not an easy place for visitors. Like its inhabitants, it is mercurial and unpredictable; learning to navigate its changing streets is far from a simple process, as much art as science.

Currently, the three rulers of the city are:
    • Grommiskalt, a troll who wields divine magic with remarkable skill. He governs what access visitors have to the knowledge held within the city. Grommiskalt can be impressed with feats of mental agility and cunning, as well as acts of creation; he is repelled by stupidity, foolishness, and actions which fail to achieve their goals.
    • Moonchaser, a fey that takes the form of a great wolf. She is a trickster, but kindly enough as fey go. She governs the paths through the city, and has total control over where they lead. Moonchaser can be impressed with feats of daring and skill, as well as with shows of kindness; she is repelled by timidity, pointless cruelty, and refusal to stray from the beaten path.
    • Thun-Canas, a wight that holds ancient and powerful arcane magics. She governs the secrets of the city, the knowledge of the city itself. Thun-Canas can be impressed by displays of knowledge, as well as by sacrifices of all kinds; she is repelled by sentimentality, hesitation, and any suggestion of weakness.

Spoiler: Southeastern group
    Show
    The woman continues to watch you dispassionately. A falcon flies in from the forest and perches on her shoulder for a moment, leaning its head in close to her ear. Although its talons grip her bare skin, she gives no indication of being in pain.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

"We come in search of knowledge. How may we gain entry into Nithveil?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spells prepared:

Level 0:
    Detect Magic, Read Magic, Prestidigitation, Light

Level 1:
    Endure Elements, Mage Armor, Grease, Enlarge Person, Protection from Evil, 2x Vacant
    Bonus: True Strike

Level 2:
    Acid Arrow, Glitterdust, Embrace Destiny, Resist Energy, Mirror Image, 2x Vacant
    Bonus: Invisibility

Level 3:
    Dispel Magic, Pellet Blast, Slow, Haste, 2x Vacant
    Bonus: Dispel Magic

Level 4:
    Dimension Door, Black Tentacles, Ball Lightning, 2x Vacant
    Bonus: Wandering Star Motes

Level 5:
    Overland Flight, Hold Monster, Wall of Force, 1x Vacant
    Bonus: Teleport

Level 6:
    Flesh to Stone, Summon Monster VI, 1x Vacant
    Bonus: True Seeing

28. - Top - End - #268

Vindira casts a dispassionate eye over the woman before turning to the city, studying it with a fair amount of interest. "You know anything about this place, Nirallus?"

Show
    Will set the bird as a studied target as well. Perception check to see what there is to see.
    (1d20+27)[37], +3 if it's about the woman or the bird.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

"Nithveil, City of the Moon. Appears in our world only on the nights of the full moon and new moon, the rest of the time it is in the world of the Fey. Mortals are only allowed in after passing a test or performing some sacrifice, as its gatekeepers see fit."

30. - Top - End - #270

"Gatekeepers?"