New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown - Thread #2 (IC)

His new armor securely donned and his squire trained, Kristoph thanks the council's leader and excuses himself to walk to the temple. Leaving Bryce in the care of his family again, he walks in the sunlight, trying to ignore the fog-shrouded edges of his sight. Once at the temple he finds any of the clergy and asks for a tunic appropriate to wear over the new breastplate. "Vashian explained that it is enchanted to be harder than what a blacksmith could normally do. It wears very comfortably, but I must have the Lady of Graves' symbol where all can see it," he says, by way of explanation. "After everyone is done preparing, we intend to re-enter the ruins again. I don't know that we can remove the poltergeist permanently yet, but either way we must make our way to the basement. I dread what we will find there, but we must cleanse the prison grounds so that healing can really begin..."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Leone's familiar face is one of the few acolytes present in the temple when Kristoph arrives. She smiles widely and greets the paladin with the symbol of a spiral on her chest. "Ah, greetings Kristoph! Father Grimburrow mentioned you might stop by. He's not here at the moment though, as he's tending to mister Claden's ailing sow. Poor thing." She listens to Kristoph and her smiles falters a bit and then transforms into a worried slightly down-turned frown. "Of course, I believe we can come up with a tunic for you that should suffice. Just...be careful in that horrible place. I..." she pauses, clearly summoning some sort of courage, "I need to help!" She practically blurts out. "I need to avenge Chad. And mister Lorrimor. And who knows how many other tortured souls. Would you favor me by allowing me to come with you?"

Before Kristoph can answer, she raises a finger and looks Kristoph in the eyes seriously. "Before you answer, think on it. I'll get you your tunic in the meanwhile." She darts off through one of the rear doors of the sanctuary. One of the other acolytes - a young man of perhaps fifteen years of age - looks at Kristoph with a shrug.

A few minutes later, Leone arrives with a folded dark purple cloth. "I pray...what is your answer?" she says abruptly, while handing the paladin the dark tunic.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2017-10-31 at 03:07 PM.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

3. - Top - End - #303

NecromancerGuy

With a steady look, Kristoph watches Leone leave to find a suitable tunic. Turning to the young man nearby, the paladin asks, "How many people know that she loved Chad? Did he know?"

When the young woman returns the cursed knight takes the tunic silently and unfolds it carefully. With a sigh, he looks up and stares into Leone's eyes intently. "I will not have you throw your life away - wait! I am not done yet," he says, firmly stopping an interruption from the cleric. "Hear me out before you respond. We worship a goddess of death, but also one who would not have us discard the gift of life until it is our due and right time. Chad died defending the living of this town and I will not stop you from doing the same. You may come with us if you decide you must, but I say again - I will not have you throw your life away.

We have had to retreat from battles in that haunted prison. If we do so again, you are coming back out with us. Here, in the temple, I will defer to you, Father Grimburrow, or any of the other clergy. In the field of battle, however, you will follow my orders,
    " Kristoph says, emphatically, staring seriously into the young woman's eyes. Then, with another sigh his expression grows gentler and he lowers his eyes again.

"You do not honor Chad by throwing yourself at death, and this town will need a spiritual leader when Father Grimburrow passes into the veil and makes his way to the Boneyard at the top of her spire. He is not a young man anymore, and your experience will help ensure that another tragedy like Harrowstone never happens again. So yes, you can come with us...

Oh, and one more thing: if you decide to come with us, you may have my scale mail. It is still in good condition, and I am sure we can have someone in town adjust the fit so that you can wear it comfortably.
    " Gesturing to the carefully wrapped suit of armor he brought with him, Kristoph looks up again to see Leone's answer.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[25]

4. - Top - End - #304

The youth stops what he is doing and shakes his head. His voice is surprisingly deep for one so young in years, "I do not think so, sir. 'Tis sad. I miss him." He sighs and shakes his head, "We all do."

When she returns, Leone meets Kristoph's intense gaze with her own fiery one, not backing down from her assertion. As Kristoph gives his reasoning and decision, the ghost of a smile appears on Leone's face which quickly fades as Kristoph impresses upon her the grave situation at the prison and that battle will fall under his command. She nods solemnly, "I don't question your authority in those matters, Kristoph. You and the others have proven yourselves time and again and I will gladly defer to your expertise in such things. But you'll find that my resolve is no less strong than yours, Father Grimburrow's... or Chad's."

She reaches for the bundle of armor almost reverently. "I...thank you. For so many reasons. I shall not let you down, I promise!" Her eyes sparkle with barely held back tears. "But yes, I can take this to Jorfa. She should be able to adjust things. Shall I meet you at the Lorrimor home when I'm ready?" On his acceptance, her youthful enthusiasm bubbles over and she quickly walks out the door and into town towards the smithy.

Meanwhile, at the Silk Purse, Elian tries to pick apart the various auras being given off by the stone sitting on the shelf. At first, he thinks that the surprisingly bright glow of the stone (when seen by his divination spell) interferes with his ability to discern the type of aura, but then he realizes that it contains nearly all of them! And with it being such a jumble of auras, he is unable to discern anything about the actual function of the item.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Elian passed the Knowledge check but failed the Spellcraft check. The Knowledge check reveals that multiple auras of magic are imbued on the item. It's immediately evident that this stone is worth MUCH more than the 500gp that Luramin and Quess are charging, however.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Elian's eyebrows furrow in thought. As he takes in the prismatic display, almost overwhelmed by the sight, he is struck by the degree of complication that must have been involved in the enchantment. Still, chagrined that he is unable to discern the significance, he looks up to the shop owners with a confused expression.

"How much did you say you wanted for the gem? 500 crowns?" At their acknowledgement, he looks back down at the gem. A troubled expression comes over his features as he glances around the shop. He stares into its facets for a few moments, apparently lost in thought. When his face rises once more, he squares off to Luramin with a determined stare. "I cannot in good conscious buy this for 500 crowns. I am unsure precisely what purpose lies concealed by its shape, but am quite confident that it must be worth more than you know. Every school of the arcane was involved in the enchantment of this gem. Whatever purpose it serves is surely a complicated one. Without knowing more, I cannot begin to guess its true value..."

6. - Top - End - #306

Luramin quirks a brow when Elian describes the gem and its potential value. He reaches for the gem and plucks it from the shelf, turning it over carefully in his hand. "Truly? This little thing?" He ponders for a moment as he spins the gem around, looking at the various facets. And then for the first time, he favors Elian with a smile that seems to transform and greatly soften the otherwise serious and stern visage of the older gentleman. "I'll tell you what. I don't care. Take it for five hundred. The loss of...whatever profit," he says with a wave of his hand, "is well worth the safety of my family."

Quess peers at him over her spectacles with a quizzical expression and then after a moment, she shrugs and nods, wordlessly returning to her ledgers with just a hint of a grin tugging at her lips.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

7. - Top - End - #307

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph watches her leave quietly before turning to the young man. "Life your life to the fullest, and embrace those you love while you still can. Not this year, not yet," he says, making the sign of the spiral on his chest as he salutes the devotee and makes his way out of the temple. "I just hope I am not letting Leone follow us to her doom..." he mutters as he walks back into the fog-shrouded world.

After making his way to the village square again, Kristoph waits patiently for the rest of his party to gather, spending the time playing with the children and talking to the families that gather nearby. He takes obvious pleasure in their company and seems to be rejuvenated by the vigor they bring to the late morning. When the others begin to gather he is smiling broadly and has nearly forgotten the gloomy curse and his forebodings about the task at hand.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    "I'll tell you what. I don't care. Take it for five hundred. The loss of...whatever profit," he says with a wave of his hand, "is well worth the safety of my family."
    Elian looks at the man with a decidedly confused expression. When his glance follow's Luramin's to Quess, he's even more shocked to see the woman agree. Confusion and surprise mingle with appreciation as the lean-faced bard's expression softens. "I... Do not know what to say other than that I accept- gladly." Elian takes a step back from the case and offers a deep, respectful bow to both shop owners.

Visibly excited, he accepts the gem from Luramin upon conclusion of their agreement. He inclines his head once more, smiling like a schoolboy with a particularly interesting frog, before scampering out the door, eager to find Aurora and ask her to take a look at it. Perhaps I should let Kendra take a look, as well? he muses, padding quietly through the chilly streets of Ravengro.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

After losing track of the hour, Aurora hurries out of the Unfurling Scroll, bidding a hasty goodbye to Alendru as she juggles a half-dozens scrolls in their ornate casings. She spies Elian across the town square and hurries over to him, setting her purchases down on a nearby bench with a sigh of relief. "You'll never believe how many magical writings Alendru has at - oh! What's this?" The plain-looking gem Elian's hand catches her notice immediately, and it takes only a moment longer to discern that it must be enchanted. "Where did you get this? What does it do? May I?" Without waiting for an answer, she takes the small gemstone and holds it up to scrutinize it closely, casting a detect magic spell as she does.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    Spellcraft to identify: (1d20+10)[14]

And if relevant, Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+10)[11]
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Elian grins. "I have no idea! I just purchased it from Luramin and his partner, for an absolutely outrageously low price. He was unaware of its enchantment, and felt that it would be better serving our cause than potentially earning more profit in his display case! Look at the auras upon it!"

For several moments, he conspires with Aurora, clutching and yet displaying the crystal like a prized toy. When it becomes aware that she, too is unable to identify its properties, his expression falters only briefly. "Perhaps Miss Lorrimor will be able to help? We can always continue to inspect it at another time. Also, the professor and Grimburrow's libraries may reveal something related..." Without delay, he strides purposefully towards the Lorrimor estate, to seek their hostess' input.

11. - Top - End - #311

After wrapping up her purchases, the gray-haired Alendru nods his thanks to the gifted young arcanist. He bears a bit of an enigmatic smile on his face as she tries to carry all of her newfound scrolls and their cases. A moment later, he lifts a finger and the smile grows wider, "Ah...not to add any further burden to your bundles, young Aurora. But I believe you are forgetting something!"

He strolls over to the living room area of his combination store and house, and plucks a haunt siphon from an end table beside a comfortable looking chair. He wipes some residual white-ish dust from the device and polishes it off with the end of his cloak. "I was able to change the way this works! Here, let me show you." He proceeds to expand at length on the nature of the magics involved in how the siphons work and then how he recalibrated them, obviously excited that there's someone in town that also understands magic. "So, now you can re-use this one as a result! It takes some time though, so I've only been able to complete this one. May you not have to use it too often, however. Be careful up there on the hill." He casts his eyes towards the direction of the prison up on the hill.

Show

One of your haunt siphons now can be used indefinitely. If the haunt siphon does NOT turn green (as per the item description), then you can use it again in 1d6 rounds. If it DOES turn green, you can use it again after using it in the grenade-like function.

Later, Elian and Aurora arrive at the Lorrimor house. Kendra greets them warmly and takes their cloaks as they come in from the cold. When Elian approaches her about the strange gem, she eagerly but gently takes it from his grip and leans over it next to him, her shoulders brushing against his in her excitement. "Oh, let's see what we have here. Oh my! Wow, that is a really strong glow. Hmm..." Her brows furrow as she tries to decipher what the actual magic of the gem is as she lays it on the sturdy wooden kitchen table. "I'm sorry, but I can't figure it out either." She says a bit dejectedly and slumps back in one of the chairs at the table. Then her eyes brighten, "BUT! Alendru can, I'm sure of it."

Show

Spellcraft check: (1d20+9)[15]

A quick jaunt back to the Unfurling Scroll and an identify spell later, Alendru smiles sagely. "This, my young friends, is what is commonly called," he takes the gem and tosses it in the air, at which point it starts lazily floating around his head in a slow orbit, "an ioun stone. There are many varieties that exist, but this one has some defensive qualities. It makes you react faster to danger. Quite useful, I should think." He puts his arm up in front of the orbit experimentally, and the ioun stone deftly and easily changes its orbit to avoid a collision course and continue to swirl lazily around his head. Then, he purposefully grasps for the stone, which it does not avoid, and then he offers it to Elian with his palm open.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2017-11-02 at 02:25 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    "Anything special you want about it otherwise? A design? Family crest?."
    Gundwolf gives a bland look to the smith. "I care not for such things. So long as it serves its purpose, you may shape it as you wish."

Show
    Feel free to do something interesting with the design, I'll anticipate Gundwolf being surprised (and impressed) should you specify a design that rises above the utilitarian.

"See! It's definitely no meager sewn length of cloth! It helps you avoid calamity, if only by a meager amount. It may wrap around you to protect you from flame and ice, push you out of the way from falling dangers, and more. They seem to have a...preternatural awareness and help you avoid that which may harm you. More powerful versions of these cloaks exist, but this is only the most simple variety. But, you will certainly find it invaluable in your travels." After a pause, he says, "Interested? It will cost you a thousand of the offered amount by the council."
    The half-orc's eyes widen in surprise before narrowing in suspicion at the cloak's movement of its own accord. As she elaborates on the sorts of hazards with which it might assist, an expression of grudging appreciation takes hold of Gundwolf's face. "That sort of... magic," the word tumbles out through lips curled with some distaste, "could be helpful in the prison. I'll take it."

Show
    Insert RP as appropriate, but I'm going to post Gundwolf rejoining the group in the town square and moving forward. He will accompany the party back to the Lorrimor residence and to the prison without incident, and I'll write RP as it seems appropriate after the fact.

His business concluded, Gundwolf strides out of the shop of magic to where the rest of the party has gathered in the town square. Above his serviceable but unremarkable boots and breeches, his new (and still polished) breastplate shines in place of the simple leather harness and scavenged hides, and affixed to its shoulder straps is the cloak which seems to continue its billowing even in the moments where the cold wintry wind ceases. The intentionality of these items and the obvious influence of some modicum of civilization in their make seems to have transformed the half-orc's visage from a weather-beaten, nomadic savage into a fearsome warrior. His stern and watchful eyes seem almost cunning above the visible trappings of war.

Noticing the appraising glances of his companions, the half-orc raises one eyebrow sharply. "What? The armor is tougher than hide, and the cloak..." he clears his throat uncomfortably, "bears an enchantment to guard me. It seemed... a wise purchase." With a glare that dares those assembled to gainsay him, he leans nonchalantly against a post.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-11-02 at 11:05 AM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

13. - Top - End - #313

NecromancerGuy

As his allies all gather, Kristoph looks up from the children playing around him (many of whom are rambunctiously "challenging" the brave knight with toy swords - he has deliberately lost every duel to the village children, laughing freely the entire time) and smiles. "Is everyone ready? I would like to return to see Kendra before we leave...Also, Leone, from the temple, will be joining us. She was quite insistent and I could not dismiss her bravery or her right to defend her home. Ah! Here she is now," he says, gesturing to the priestess as she exits the armory wearing the scale mail he had given her earlier.

After short greetings the knight leads the party back to the Lorrimor residence where they learn that their erstwhile companion will not be joining them in the prison. With a brief expression of disappointment the paladin shrugs and says, "We cannot doubt his courage - it is too bad we will have to go without him, though. Let's get ready and leave within the hour - I do not want to risk being caught in the prison after dark..." He then makes his way to the guest room where he has slept the last several days and readies himself. About fifteen minutes later, after spending much of the time in prayer, he arrives back downstairs with a determined look on his face. Once the rest of the party has gathered, he turns to lead them back to Harrowstone.

14. - Top - End - #314

A wide smile adorns Leone's face as she runs to meet up with the rest of the group at Kendra's house. She is newly outfitted in Kristoph's old armor and has a sturdy wooden shield in her right hand. At her left hip swings a holstered metal rod with leather wrappings serving as a handle and a larger spherical metal ball at the tip. She also has two daggers at her side, along with a few other odds and ends. "Jorfa truly does excellent work. Your armor fits quite well, Kristoph." Her eyes shine with unsaid thanks for letting her make use of it.

As everyone gathers around, the largely silent Ra'Hulhrim looks somewhat sullen as he holds a tiny slip of parchment in his fingers. "I...I am sorry my friends. My Order has called me back to the Shudderwood. I...truly wish I could go with you, but I must..." he looks sadly off to the distant north. "Be safe. All of you. And if I can, I will find you as soon as I am able." He turns to Kendra and awkwardly stands there, obviously conflicted about what he should do or say. After a half moment, he just says, "Goodbye. Please take care." Then turning to his large avian companion, he says, "Come, Del'dretch. Let us see what Elder Arom requires." He waves once more to the rest and then takes his leave, wrapping his dark feathery cloak around himself against the weather and walking to the north.

Kendra bids everyone farewell, standing on the stoop of the porch of her father's house. She leans against the posts of the porch and folds her arms about her chest to ward off the chill. "Please. Return safely. All of you."

Leone gives the young woman a friendly hug and a nod. "We shall. I promise." Then, with that, Leone turns to the rest of the group and says with a determined look and her left hand on her mace, "I am ready."
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2017-11-02 at 02:52 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf levels a disapproving gaze at Leone as she arrives, clearly equipped for battle, but the taciturn half-orc says nothing. The look grows darker as Ra'hulhrim makes his exit, but softens at Kendra's pained expression. As the elf and his avian companion leave earshot, the half-orc abruptly grumbles out, "Daylight wanes. Unless one of you has better things to do...." The remainder of the challenge hangs, unspoken, in the air as Gundwolf stands expectantly.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

An unreadable mask follows Ra'Hulhrim's unexpected departure. As the Elf strides northwards, Elian stands silent, watching him leave with unblinking eyes. Gundwolf's gruff exclamation startles him, but elicits a simple, "yes, quite." from the bard's lips.

As his long legs carry him closer to Harrowstone, Elian clears his throat quietly. "Leone, if you please?" He beckons the young priestess closer, to walk alongside him. "There is something you should know, since we will be fighting alongside one another. I hope you will not be unnecessarily alarmed...."

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    As his long legs carry him closer to Harrowstone, Elian clears his throat quietly. "Leone, if you please?" He beckons the young priestess closer, to walk alongside him. "There is something you should know, since we will be fighting alongside one another. I hope you will not be unnecessarily alarmed...."
    Leone stops in front of Elian and lifts a hand towards him. She smiles gently and says simply, "I know." At his look of confusion, she shrugs, "Father Grimburrow told me. It doesn't change who you are or the good that you're doing." She puts a comforting hand on his shoulder, then turns around and continues walking up the cold, muddy road leading towards the prison.

She asks a few quiet questions along the way, mostly to understand what she should expect to encounter. Before long, the conversation dies down as the group reaches the gate to the prison complex, the hinges of the gates creaking slightly in the afternoon wind. The brick edifice of the prison looms at the top of the hill, silently beckoning them as the weak winter afternoon sun tries to shine through the intermittent clouds.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

18. - Top - End - #318

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph looks at the gathered company and sighs deeply. "We have lost several friends over the last few days, and more before that to the horrors of this place. It is time we complete the task of cleansing Harrowstone of its hauntings. I want to begin with the poltergeist on this ground floor - are we prepared better this time? We may need spells or magical effects to enable us to strike it down temporarily so we can investigate and lay the spirit to rest...

After that, we should go below, to the basement. There I suspect we will find our worst foe yet - we should be prepared for the fight of our lives. Does anyone need anything else before we start?
    "

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

For several seconds after Leone's interruption, Elian walks as if in a daze. On the one hand, he feels almost betrayed by Father Grimburrow, while at the same time completely understanding the cleric's decision. In point of fact, had Elian forgotten and Grimburrow neglected to inform his subordinate, the result could well have been fatal. These thoughts and more flow unbidden as Harrowstone slowly rises before them.

Elian sneers, remembering the "doctor's" ministrations on their previous visit. "I am not sure I agree. While I have purchased a few scrolls that would help Gundwolf to dispatch the spirit- at least for the moment- we lack any guarantee that our efforts will be made permanent. Of all Harrowstone's threats, that one in particular is both easiest avoided and perhaps most dangerous... Further, there remains the chance that the greater spirit somehow enables the poltergeist to remain. Perhaps we can deal with that threat without directly having to combat it again... " His hands idly flit over the various scrolls that now fill his belt pouch. The subtle jingle of coin now replaced by the quiet whisper of parchment on parchment leaves Elian feeling odd: coin buys food, though the scrolls may keep him alive long enough to need it once more...

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf shudders involuntarily at the mention of the invisible, untouchable poltergeist, but Elian's mention of methods that would allow him to bring his rage to bear on the foul thing elicits an eyebrow raised in intrigue. Finally, he rumbles out, "Much as I would wish to destroy that horror, better to kill two birds with one stone."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Elian sneers, remembering the "doctor's" ministrations on their previous visit. "I am not sure I agree. While I have purchased a few scrolls that would help Gundwolf to dispatch the spirit- at least for the moment- we lack any guarantee that our efforts will be made permanent. Of all Harrowstone's threats, that one in particular is both easiest avoided and perhaps most dangerous... Further, there remains the chance that the greater spirit somehow enables the poltergeist to remain. Perhaps we can deal with that threat without directly having to combat it again... " His hands idly flit over the various scrolls that now fill his belt pouch. The subtle jingle of coin now replaced by the quiet whisper of parchment on parchment leaves Elian feeling odd: coin buys food, though the scrolls may keep him alive long enough to need it once more...
    "Yes, I have a few things here that will help, too. Let's see..." Aurora begins pulling a few items out of her bag, explaining their purposes to her allies. "Here is a scroll that will allow the affected creature to see invisible foes - quite useful if we go up against that poltergeist again, I think! Master Alendru was able to enhance one of the depleted haunt siphons, so it should now work indefinitely. I have two scrolls that will hide us from the undead's perception - not enough for all of us, I'm afraid. Finally, I took several vials of holy water from the temple." She looks up with a determined expression on her face, juxtaposing sharply with her meager frame and lack of any armor or weapons. "It matters not to me where we begin. Let us cleanse the land of this evil once and for all!"

Show
    With more time Aurora would use the see invisibility scroll to teach the spell to her familiar, but that requires reaching level 4, so using it up here is certainly an option.

No major preference on where we start. Aurora will cast mage armor on herself as soon as we enter the prison, and will have a light
    cantrip on herself (or Leone's shield) as soon as it gets dark enough to necessitate it.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph looks a bit frustrated by several of the responses, but nods anyway. "Very well - let's head downstairs instead, then. Shall I lead the way to the pit? If it were easier to get down, then I doubt they would be waiting for us still - we will need to climb a rope down, I am afraid. Does anyone have a better idea how to get to the basement safely?" he says, leading the party carefully into the prison, wary for enemies that may have resurfaced or new foes that may stand between the party and the Splatterman...

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Elian frowns. "It will not be easy." He looks to his companions. "I am decidedly not good at climbing, ropes or otherwise, so it will be for the best if we can make this as simple as possible. Knot the rope, and do whatever must be done to ensure that I will be able to climb without distraction. I suspect Aurora will likewise need to dedicate her full focus to the task..." He sighs, unhappily.

"I think it would be best for Kristoph or Gundwolf to go down first, followed quickly by Leone. I can help fight as well from above as below, so I will do what I can to help make the landing for them easy. Once They have secured the floor, Aurora and I can climb at our relative leisure..."

Show
    I suggest this in and out of character. Elian has a -2 to climb, so it'll take a knotted rope and a wall to brace against to have reasonable odds of success- unless we can take 10.

24. - Top - End - #324

The companions' conversation dies down as they pass between the leering gargoyle faces at the gate, walk through the tall dried grasses of the courtyard and approach the collapsed entryway to the prison. Once again, the absence of any sort of noise - birdsong or insects - unnerves them as they stand just outside of the pile of rubble, timbers, rusty nails and broken furniture there at the entrance.

Leone looks aghast at the imposing edifice and then swallows her nerve and visibly shakes off some troubling thoughts. Her face is a mixture of determination and trepidation all at once. Upon seeing the darkened interior, she lifts her mace out of its holster and whispers a brief prayer to Pharasma. The business end of her mace begins to glow with a soft light and she nods to the others that she's ready to enter.

Kristoph and Gundwolf step carefully over the detritus there at the entrance and step into the foyer, the faint coppery smell of blood still tainting the air there mixed with the faint smell of soot. They can still see the stains from the oozes that they fought there mixed with their own red offering, a bloody reminder of the foulness of the place.

As soon as the two warriors enter the chamber, all five doors at once begin to move of their own accord. The badly-burnt faces of shrieking criminals rush out of all of the doors before causing each door to slam violently shut with a loud pained shriek, the slamming of the doors reminiscent of the sound of jail cells slamming shut. A soft green glow issues from the doors for a moment and then fades.

Show

Post was edited because I'm a dumbass and didn't read the full description of the haunt.

See the Google Doc for positions. All doors in the entryway are closed and "locked" by the spiritual energy of the place. You've encountered this before. This is a haunt that holds the doors closed. Enough time has passed since you defeated it that it has reformed.

Beyond this entry, there is little to no light. Right now, only Leone has a light source unless you specify otherwise.

No initiative required at this point.

I've changed the permissions on the Google doc so that you can edit the document. Feel free to put your character wherever you wish in the entry, and if you wish, suggest where you want Leone to be positioned.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2017-11-06 at 12:26 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf rumbles, "If we tie the rope about your waist, I can likely lower you easily. Kristoph or this one," he gestures at Leone, "should go first to guard the landing."

Show
    Dunno if that would be a strength check or what, but Gundwolf will remove his armor if helpful in making such a check.

As the doors sudden slam shut, shrieking with ghostly fury, Gundwolf snarls, spinning on his heels and brandishing his heavy flail against... nothing. After a few long heartbeats, he lets out an irritable growl before returning his flail to its loop to bring his full strength to bear on the doors. "Cursed damnable ghosts..."

Show
    Another strength check maybe? (1d20+4)[20] or take 20 for 24?
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-11-06 at 01:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Elian shrugs. "That would suffice."

He starts briefly when the doors slam shut. Ultimately undismayed, he quickly drops to a knee and fishes out his picks. "Blast. Forgot about that." Without further ado, he begins to work, testing whether the haunt has locked the doors, or is actively holding the doors locked.

Show
    (1d20+13)[24] disable device

27. - Top - End - #327

Elian kneels down in front of the heavy wooden door, and begins to work with the lock. Faintly on the other side, he can hear Gundwolf's grousing about "damnable ghosts". After only a moment, Elian is confused because the lock is not at all engaged, but rather some other force is keeping the doors held firmly in place.

Perhaps two or three seconds later, he hears a grunt and then a bang as Gundwolf shoulders open one of the doors in the foyer. The spiritual energy dissipates on all of the doors at once with a final anguished, shrieking cry. A chorus of echoing tortured screams and yells ripple through the prison for the next few seconds before dying down once more back to the unnatural silence.

As Elian easily opens the front door, he catches sight of Gundwolf and Kristoph cautiously eyeing the space beyond their now open door in the foyer.

Show

Carry on. Go wherever you like. :)

One thing I want to mention/remind everyone (as I believe this was revealed much earlier, and it's been literally years in real time): the group has learned that the underground area of the prison is by far the largest area, and is divided into four areas with cheery names: "Reaper's Hold", "The Oubliette", "Hell's Basement" and "The Nevermore". You're not entirely sure which areas served which purpose (if any), but you know their general directions: west, north, east and south, respectively.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

28. - Top - End - #328

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph looks inside the haunted halls and audibly gasps. "What is this? I can...see? Perhaps it is not a curse..." he murmurs, momentarily distracted by the discovery that within his now-limited range of vision he can see in the near total darkness of the prison interior. "Thank you, Lady of Graves, for not abandoning your servant in our time of need..."

Taking a deep breath, the half-elf plunges through the door Gundwolf has opened and begins leading the party towards the open pit. "I think a rope used to lower everyone down may be a good idea, but I am still concerned about getting back out again. There was also a door on the other side of the pit - let's leave the poltergeist alone, but finish exploring this floor before we descend. Then, once we know we are relatively safe up here was can go down below..." he says as he leads the party towards the gaping hole that leads to the dungeons below. The knight walks without need of a torch or other light, but does not seem to begrudge any others lighting the way.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I would like to check out the area(s) that we haven't explored on this floor yet. I see at least two doors we haven't opened - one near the infirmary entrance and one directly "north" of the pit. Let's go check out the one near the pit first and then we can "safely" assume that our retreat will be safe and clear of enemies.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Elian starts, his keen ears picking up Kristoph's musings. He steps forward, putting a restraining hand on the young paladin's shoulders. "Peace, brother.1" He smiles reassuringly. "The denizens may know we are here, but they do not yet know our course. My step is lighter than yours, and I may still be able to find our foes unawares. In addition..." He interrupts his normal discourse to clearly speak an arcane component. "I can communicate in near silence, largely assured to be unheard by our foes."2

He turns to the rest of the group. "Kristoph can hear me. Follow at a safe distance."
    Show
    1: Used politely. Elian still knows of their relationship, but has not yet broached the subject.

2: Elian cast message, and is now whispering, heard by Kristoph only.

Also: (1d20+11)[27] stealth
    (1d20+14)[34] perception

As he strides to the east, Elian breathes to Kristoph, "What's this you say of your sight being hindered? Fret not, only you and I can hear this."

His footsteps fall near silent through the doors leading to the pit.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora removes her hands from her ears and straightens as Gundwolf's direct approach silences the screams of the haunt. "Oh, um, I should have remembered that was there - sorry!" Her face flushes, and she twists her wrist to make the unused haunt siphon at her side a little less visible.

"D-don't worry, Leone - this place is troubled with evil spirits, but we have braved it before and survived. With Kristoph and Gundwolf and Elian to protect us, we've nothing to fear. Um, stay close, though." She casts her own light cantrip upon the haunt siphon and adds its light to that of the cleric's mace, the twin glows straining defiantly against the oppressive dark and silence. At her shoulder, Archimedes the owl rustles in discomfort at the sudden change in illumination, but quickly settles. She follows where Kristoph leads, the haunt siphon held in both hands and ready to use at a moment's notice.
    Show