New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown - Thread #2 (IC)

Spoiler: Round 1, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 3, HP 11 (23 after healing)/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 22, Touch 13, Flat-footed 21, CMD 17, Fort 9, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Morningstar +4 (1d8+2, 20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Breastplate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Natural, +1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Condition Lay on Hands 1/5 Used
    Smite Evil (0/1 Used)
    Life Link - Gudwolf

As the flame scorches him a brief flash of light can be seen, traveling from Kristoph to Gundwolf. The paladin, in addition to the burns from the fire looks weakened by the exchange and staggers from the damage. "It's another haunt, Gundwolf! You cannot hurt it! Get out of here! Leone, channel Pharasma's divine power - it will work the same as the Haunt Siphons! Aurora, we need you in here! Elian, the skeleton is about to be hurt - either control it or be prepared to destroy it with us!" orders Kristoph curtly as he steps back and quaffs a potion.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Kristoph takes 5 damage and Gundwolf heals 5 HPs from Kristoph's Life Link.
    Lay on Hands as a swift action to heal (1d6+2)[5] HPs
    Retrieve and drink potion of Cure Light Wounds to heal (1d8+1)[7] HPs
    5-ft step to AM17

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora gulps and hesitates for half a heartbeat - this haunt is more violent and malevolent than any they've yet encountered! But a moment later she finds her resolve and rushes into the room, brandishing the haunt siphon. "Begone, foul spirit!!" she cries as she twists the cap to activate the artifact.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move into the room (perhaps to AL/18-ish) and then activate the haunt siphon to deal (3d6)[10] positive energy damage to the haunt.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Aurora
    F NG Human Unlettered Arcanist 3, Level 3, Init 8, HP 20/20, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, CMD 11, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    dagger -1 (1d4 - 2, 19-20/x2)
    mage armor (+4 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 11
    Condition None
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Elian starts for a moment, unsure how to respond to his allies' words. "Come with me, quickly!" he calls to the skeleton, as he leaves the room to reenter the room with the pit.

On the other side of the wall, he carefully peeks into the room, curious but unsure how to help.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aaaaand I'm spent. Elian has- I think literally- no way to be helpful against a haunt, and is likely to be hurt by any efforts to dispel it.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gundwolf's flail bounces off of the old stone furnace, sending chunks of stone scattering across the floor. However, the impact of the flail does not seem to affect the haunted furnace at all. Meanwhile, the skeleton dutifully follows after Elian into the training room, stopping beside him as they stand in the charred, broken remains of that room.

Leone gives the skeleton a distrusting glance as it strides past her, seemingly warring with the idea of lashing out at the undead, but decides against it and then turns her gaze back to the more immediate threat. She clutches the holy symbol around her neck and moves it in a spiral shape while intoning a plea to Pharasma. "Let your grace and fury at this unholy creation funnel through me!" A pulse of energy ripples out from her, causing the furnace to scream in rage, flame licking out from its maw. Then it yells again as Aurora triggers the haunt siphon with yet another wave of magical energy.

Despite the efforts of the two women, the furnace bellows loudly and angrily and its flame grows brighter as it belches out another stream of fire at Aurora. The arcanist is briefly enveloped in painful, searing flame as the haunt yells, "DIE AS I DID! DIE BY THE FLAME! FEEL YOUR FLESH MELT FROM YOUR BONES!!"

Spoiler: End Round 2
    Show

Aurora takes 11 fire damage. (rolls are in OOC)

Skeleton and Elian have moved from the room, and thus take no damage from Leone's channel.

The haunted furnace has taken 12 points of damage so far. 10 from Aurora's siphon and 2 from Leone's channel.

Start Round 3!
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2017-11-21 at 11:15 AM.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Ughn!!" Aurora tries in vain to shield herself from the flames, but they lick around her thin garments and sear her skin, sending waves of agony through her narrow frame. Desperately she digs through her bag for the remaining two haunt siphons, passing one to Kristoph behind her. "Hurry! Twist the top!!!" she cries as she demonstrates with her own siphon.
    Show
    Here's what I'd like to do - let me know if it isn't feasible:

Move action to pull out the last two unused haunt siphons (yikes!). Free action to hand one to Kristoph. Standard action to activate the siphon,
    dealing (3d6)[11] more damage to the haunt.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Aurora
    F NG Human Unlettered Arcanist 3, Level 3, Init 8, HP 9/20, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, CMD 11, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 1
    dagger -1 (1d4 - 2, 19-20/x2)
    mage armor (+4 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 11
    Condition None
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Outside the room, Elian watches the proceedings with a decidedly wary expression. For a moment he scans the room he's now in, from the pit and its ruined lift, to the pool that creeps in from the fallen walls.

Spoiler: Elian Round 3
    Show
    Elian Evenstarr
    M NG Dhampir Seeker Sorc 1/Bard 2, Level 3, Init +5, HP 6/16, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 11, Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +4, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 2
    light crossbow (18 bolts) +5 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Dagger +1 or +5 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
    Condition1st level spells: 3/4
    Blood is life: 7/7

Assuming nothing out in the room is trying to sneak up on us (or that Elian doesn't see it) (move action to use perception actively: (1d20+14)[29]

He will turn his attention back into the room and cast detect magic.

7. - Top - End - #367

Once again, the ripple of power emits from the cylinder in Aurora's hands. The furnace howls in pain and rage and its "face" melts and fades away. "Ashes..." it says with a sort of dying gasp. A slight red glow remains in the mouth of the furnace for brief few seconds, and then it fades into darkness. The party waits for a few seconds to see if there is any more sign of danger, but it seems as though the peril has passed for the moment. The swirling mist in the siphon in Aurora's hand turns a deep green color.

Leone swings her gaze from the furnace to the group, a troubled shadow passing over her face. "What was...? Oh my! Aurora! Kristoph Are you all well?!"

Meanwhile, in the training room, Elian finds no evidence of any other creatures attracted by the noise or anything else of interest at the moment. The skeleton dutifully stands motionless, save for following Elian's movements with its empty eye sockets.

Show

Combat over!

Leone can heal the group, using a channel or two if needed, or a casting of CLW or two. Let me know what you'd like. Her channel is 1d6 and her CLW is 1d8+2.

Aurora's regular haunt siphon has been used, but it has the "negative energy splash weapon" effect now, and the modified siphon regains its use after a few more seconds.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf watches in dismay as the fiery, skeletal face seems not at all perturbed by the sweep of his flail, and he watches in frozen horror as the tongue of flame sears Aurora's slender frame. The expression of concern directed at the girl turns into one of determination as his face swivels toward the furnace, and he coils to spring between the two... but Aurora's quick action removes the need.

Emotions war on the half-orc's face as he appraises Aurora's condition. A frustrated rage wins the battle, and the half-orc begins to pummel the bony remains of the first skeleton where they lay, motionless on the ground. After several seconds, the grim-faced half-orc stalks out through the rubble of wall, breathing deeply and staring off into the wintry distance.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

9. - Top - End - #369

NecromancerGuy

As the haunt is defeated Kristoph feels more of his life energy flow into Gundwolf. Watching the half-orc's wounds heal the Paladin's eyes grow wide as he remembers the accidental healing delivered over the previous days. "Alright - this will probably hurt again..." he mutters as he looks to Aurora's burns. "Lady of Graves, bind my life to hers," he prays and waits a moment. When her injuries are nearly immediately transferred to him Kristoph gasps in pain before gritting his teeth. The feeling is repeated moments later and the half-elf's breathing gets shallow as his skin blackens. Looking to Aurora he sees that hers has healed, almost miraculously. With a nod, Kristoph turns to Leone and announces, "I think Aurora is fine, but I need some aid - apparently Pharasma has blessed me in a peculiar way. She seems to be able to transfer wounds from my allies to me." He shows everyone his wounds, noting the burns from Aurora and the cut from Gundwolf. "This may take some effort to manage, but perhaps we can use it to our advantage? I think I used this some the last time we were here, but without realizing it..." He breathes deeply and sighs. "For now, I think I am the only one who needs healing. I will drink a potion or two for now, but if I appear to be too weak will you help me, Leone?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Kristoph starts at 8/31 HPs right now. He will stop drinking potions to heal when within one potion/casting of CLW from max HPs.

He will drink a potion of Cure Moderate Wounds first and go from there: (2d8+3)[11] HPs healed. Then he will probably need one Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[9] HPs healed.

Kristoph is at 28/31 HPs now.

Once healthy again, Kristoph calls to the others, "Alright, let's search this room. There may be something of use in here. Once we are done, we can head down below. Make sure you are ready!" He then begins looking around closely, overturning items and searching as thoroughly as he can.

Show
    Take 20 to search for loot. 22 Perception is the result.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf's irritation wanes in time with the pain disappearing from his arm. Looking down, he notes with surprise that the cut has vanished! He turns with wide eyes from his solitary contemplation of the cold, quiet countryside to watch as Kristoph very literally takes on the wounds and injuries of his companions. His brows furrow in concerned thought, but after a moment's thought he simply returns his flail to its loop on his back and begins poring through the rubble with Kristoph.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[19] or taking 20 for 27.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora gasps in surprise and delight as the angry red burns disappear from her flesh, leaving only cool, unblemished skin. "Oh, thank you - what a wonderful gift from Pharasma! But now it is you that is hurt- here, let me see..." She fusses over the paladin as he drinks the potion and applies healing magic to himself until he convinces her that he is alright.

Then she goes to Elian and hands over all of the used haunt siphons, along with the modified one. "If you wouldn't mind,
    um, absorbing the energy again-
    " she asks the dhampir, "I'm sure we will have need of its powers again. Though I'm in no hurry to face another one of those again!" She shudders at the memory of the furnace, the pain of the burns still lingering in her mind. She reclaims the reusable siphon from Elian once the latter has finished safely releasing the negative energy constrained inside of it.

Finally, she recasts her detect magic cantrip and continues a slow sweep of the area, focusing most intently on the gaping hole leading to the lower levels.

Spoiler: Used siphons
    Show
    Aurora will hand over 4 used haunt siphons to Elian - he can use them as "negative energy grenades", or even as a form of healing. She still has one regular siphon and the reusable siphon.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981
    "This may take some effort to manage, but perhaps we can use it to our advantage? I think I used this some the last time we were here, but without realizing it..." He breathes deeply and sighs. "For now, I think I am the only one who needs healing. I will drink a potion or two for now, but if I appear to be too weak will you help me, Leone?"
    Leone looks on in no small amount of awe as Kristoph absorbs his companions' wounds. As Kristoph asks for her aid, she nods, "O..Of course, Kristoph. I will do what I can. I also have a few healing items in addition to my spells, as needed. Umm..A few potions and scrolls, mostly," she rummages in her side pouches and shows five different vials and then tucks them carefully back into place. "I agree with Aurora however - that is an amazing gift you have received from Pharasma. I have never heard of its like before."

Kristoph and Gundwolf wander around the debris filled room, carefully pushing over broken pieces of furniture and pieces of the stone wall, and find naught but the remains of a few unfortunate souls who perished on the night of the riot and ensuing fire. Gundwolf carefully approaches the furnace and is about to turn away when he spies something unusual - among the ashes at the back of the furnace, there are remnants of a few bones. Among them is a concave, curved bone that Gundwolf recognizes after a moment as part of the top of a skull as well as a few longer, curved bones that appear to be ribs.

Meanwhile, Aurora's sweep of the area reveals no additional magical auras of note, aside from the enchantment aura that surrounds the skeleton that is still under Elian's sway. All is silent now, aside from the gentle echoing splash coming from the water cascading down into the basement below.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf grimaces, momentarily struck by the imagined sensation of being trapped inside the furnace, burning alive. Once more, the pronounced brows furrow in thought, and he turns to face the party. "These... haunts," he rumbles, the word seeming to taste ill in his mouth, "they can be subdued, but not destroyed, unless their cause be found and... righted?" The question comes haltingly to the half-orc's lips. "There are... bones in the furnace," he says with a mixture of disgust and anger. "Might the spirit that caused the flames belong to the poor soul who died within? Perhaps, if he were laid to rest...?" A questioning expression greets the party, and the half-orc's eyes seem to rest on Kristoph.

Show
    I think the haunts were discussed, and Gundwolf has some sympathy for whoever died in this horrid manner. If confirmed, Gundwolf will volunteer to do the dirty work of reaching into the furnace and retrieving the bones for a proper burial.

14. - Top - End - #374

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph shrugs at Aurora and Leone's statements. "It doesn't feel much like a blessing, but I think we can use it to our advantage. Thank you for the offer of healing, Leone - we will likely need it at some point. For now, let's finish looking around and get ready to go below..." he says as he finishes looking around the area.

The paladin nods at Gundwolf's suggestion. "I think that is wise, Gundwolf. Showing the departed dead respect is one of the primary tenants of my faith, and I think it will have a meaningful impact here. We could use the spirit planchette to see if that is what the dead desire. Otherwise, we can wrap up here and save its use for later - in case there are more pressing questions." he says, thoughtfully.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

"I think," Elian begins, his soft voice interrupting a brief silence as he steps back into the room, "that we must do everything in our power to lay these spirits to rest. Every ghost and ghoul that rises here is one more under the sway of the splatter man. One cannot help but wonder, if we neglect this opportunity, why we have bothered to come back to Harrowstone at all." His eyebrows raise pointedly, and he turns to consider the skeleton following at his heels.

"We may as well start with him, also. Gather round, please."

Show
    It's my hope that with all of us surrounding the skeleton, it will be a trivial matter to destroy it. I feel pretty strongly that we should take the time to use the spirit planchette to attempt to find reconciliation and rest for the spirit in the fireplace.

16. - Top - End - #376

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph nods at Elian's directions, the intent clear. Standing behind the skeleton the Paladin waits for the others to be in position before counting aloud, "One, two, three!" before bringing his morningstar down on top of the skull of the unmoving skeleton with all his might.

17. - Top - End - #377

The charmed skeleton collapses into myriad pieces all over the furnace room floor, its soul finally free to be judged by the Gray Lady.

Later, as Kristoph reaches into the furnace to gather the bones, he finds them to be unbearably hot to the touch. The leather of his gloves singes and smokes slightly as he pulls away his fingers. The bones do not glow, but there is a slight shimmer of heatwaves around them upon closer inspection.

Show

Kristoph takes 1 point of fire damage from picking up the bones. It's immediately evident that leaving these bones just anywhere would be a potential fire hazard, unless they were actually buried deep enough that they wouldn't set thatch or the resident dry tall grasses alight.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf's eyes narrow as Kristoph withdraws his hand in pain from the surprisingly warm bones, but with a flash of inspiration, he turns to a corner of the disused furnace room, and seizes a coal shovel, somehow still serviceable despite its obvious state of disrepair. "Give me a few moments."

He works his way through the rubble that remains of the outer wall, and in a few short minutes has dug a sizable hole into the ground just outside. Satisfied with the cold and damp of the earth below, he returns to the furnace room, gingerly inserting the shovel into the furnace, he gently scoops the bones from within, a few at a time. Carefully making his way to the makeshift plot, he gently, almost reverently places the bones within. After another few minutes' work, the furnace seems to be empty of remains, but trails of steam rise from the pile of bones, and the crackling heat continues.

With troubled eyes, Gundwolf looks about; his gaze lands on the lake, still spilling into the ruined building, and it is the work of a few moments to scoop shovelfuls of the brisk water onto the bones. As the first droplets land, the burst of steam somehow resembles a croaking, thirsty gasp. The second shovelful is greeted by a steaming sizzle that rises in a crescendo, ending in an exhalation of relief with the third.

After the last load of dirt has been patted down by the broad blade of the shovel, Gundwolf looks about, clearly searching for something. His gaze lands on a building block, fractured into thinner slice of stone than the others. Seizing it in both hands, the half-orc slams it into the loose earth at the high end of the grave, creating a rough headstone to mark the poor soul's final resting place. Stepping backward, Gundwolf brushes the worst of the earth and grime from his hands while surveying his handiwork.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-11-24 at 10:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph watches Gundwolf for a moment before stepping forward to help. "In general, I think it best if we help make it safe for the townsfolk of Ravengro to do this, but in this case we can lay these remains to rest," he says as they finish. "Once we remove the most immediate dangers, it will help this entire area to heal if the people who were once close to those who died here can make their amends too."

After saying his peace and seeing to the last rites for the newly buried, the Paladin returns inside and makes his way towards the pit.

20. - Top - End - #380

With the application of the shovels of water into the makeshift grave and Kristoph's rites, there is the faintest puff of a humanoid shape of...was that smoke? Or perhaps something more...fundamental?

Whatever the case, it lingers for only a second before dispersing in the gentle but chill winter breeze. The ensuing silence is broken by the distinct trill of a whippoorwill before the group makes their way back into the prison.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora stands back and watches respectfully as Gunwolf and Kristoph lay the remains to rest - she's not much use for heavy labor nor religious rites. The "smoke" does catch her interest, however. "Look there!!! Did you see it?? It was a puff of- of smoke or something.
    It looked almost like a person! I have a funny feeling that the burning rage that fueled this haunt is no more - we can save the spirit planchette for a later use. Are we ready to descend?
    "
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Elian watches over the proceedings with an unreadable expression. As Gundwolf appears to have the matter in hand, his direct involvement is clearly unnecessary. His eyes never stray for long, though he makes the effort to remain alert of the party's surroundings. As the spirit rises, his eyes light up, and he nods to Aurora. "I did. A puff of something, indeed."

He takes a deep breath, his face a mask of calm contentment. "Gods forbid it, should we fail in the depth, we mattered to him." He gestures to the headstone with an open palm, and inclines his head in a short, polite bow. Aurora's second question draws his eyes back upward.

"Indeed, I think we are."

Show
    SO. Ropes? And... uh... stuff. Obviously, one of the brawnier members of the group should go first, and likewise last. I think Leone might be best served going down near the front (but not first). Elian and Aurora are both likely to be ill-equipped for this. Can we make the DC to climb lower than 10 in any way?

23. - Top - End - #383

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph makes the sign of the spiral on his chest as he hears the whippoorwill, one of the signs of his deity. "Pharasma herself has blessed your actions today, Gundwolf. Good idea," he says. "Let's get down below."

Taking some rope from his bag he begins to secure one end and run it towards the gaping pit. "Either Gundwolf or I should be first in the pit. After both of us are done climbing Leone should be next, then Elian and Aurora. Climbing won't be easy, but even if someone falls it won't knock them out. We can heal up once we are done."

Show
    Kristoph has a -3 to Climb, but can heal himself from the fall. If we tie the rope around his waste and Gundwolf lowers him down slowly he can be first. If not, then Gundwolf should probably go first with a Life Link active. Does anyone else have any better ideas?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf's eyes widen at the glimpse of... whatever it was. He listens to the others' comments, but says nothing; his expression seems more pensive than brooding, though.

"Tie a loop. I can lower you down." rumbles the half-orc briskly as the party eyes the descent.

After a loop is tied, Gundwolf braces himself against the rough stone floor, trying his best to lower the party's members one by one, beginning with Kristoph.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-11-26 at 11:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385

Kristoph steps into the loop and grips the rope as he is lowered slowly into the gloom below. With his divinely gifted sight, the paladin sees a cavernous chamber that may have once been an underground cellblock, but it has long since collapsed. The crumbled walls are thick with mold and stained with soot, and heaps of fallen stones and charred wooden beams line the area. Water drips and seeps along the walls, collecting in a dark, murky pool in the middle of the room - into which he is slowly being lowered by Gundwolf above.

Just to his north, he can see the twisted remains of a wood and iron lift lying in a heap in a shallow portion of the pool. The jagged hole through which he entered yawns some thirty feet above him. To the west, a partially blocked opening seems to open up after several feet into a dark but more stable hallway.

The water immediately seeps into the paladin's boots and is quite cold and uncomfortable, the water going up to his knees. He steps out of the loop and just as it's starting to lift back up, presumably for Gundwolf to lower Leone down to join him, the quietude of the cavern is shattered by a cacophonous roar of screams and howls all around him. These are the cries of those who burned to death in the tragedy decades ago, angry and fearful to the extreme.

An instant later, the waters around him start to ripple and then rise swiftly into the form of two humanoid shapes, dripping and horrible to behold and seemingly covered in a slimy goo. Their eyes have the baleful reddish glow of fire as they swiftly lash out before the paladin has a moment to ready himself. He is able to raise his shield to ward off one attack, but it leaves the other one open to hit him square in the back with a surprisingly powerful blow, leaving a thick residue of goop that begins to slowly slide down his backside.

Spoiler: Begin Round 1
    Show

Surprise round: two goo-covered creatures attack once. One of them hits for 7 points of physical damage. Kristoph's immunity to fear effects negate any need for an additional save. (Rolls are in OOC)

Spoiler: Image of enemy
    Show

All characters may go, and then "ectoplasmic humans" turn at the end of the round. Currently, only Kristoph is down in the caverns. Everyone else is above on the ground level.

The terrain in the basement is difficult, thanks to the water and the broken debris everywhere. Either a character will need to be lowered/climb down, which will take multiple rounds potentially, or take the "quick" way - falling 30' and taking 3d6 points of damage and landing prone, unless they pass a successful Acrobatics check of DC 15, in which case the damage is lessened to 2d6 (but still landing prone).

Spoiler: Knowledge: Religion DC 11
    Show

These are "Ectoplasmic" creatures - cursed undead beings that suffer a constant state of pain and rage, and often are 'created' when they die a horrific death. They are strong and can pass through solid matter, albeit slowly. Their "ooze" causes creatures that touch it - or those that are touched by it - to be filled with fear.

Begin Round 1! There is a tab on the Google doc called HarrowstoneBasement which shows the underground level.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2017-11-26 at 10:17 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 1

"Oh no! Kristoph, look out!!!" Aurora cries, but too late to give sufficient warning. The pupils of her eyes white out in an eldritch trance as she frantically searches her memory for the correct incantation that could aid him...

Show
    Aurora will spend 1 point from her arcane reservoir to perform the Quick Study arcanist exploit as a full-round action:
    this will swap mage armor out for summon monster I as one of her prepared spells for the day.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2017-11-27 at 08:46 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 3, HP 29/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 24, Touch 15, Flat-footed 21, CMD 17, Fort 9, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Longsword +0 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Breastplate +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Deflection, +1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Condition Fighting Defensively (+2 AC, -4 to hit)
    Lay on Hands 2/5 Used
    Smite Evil (0/1 Used)

"Ugn! We've company! I'll hold them while I can, but get down here, quickly!" calls Kristoph as he takes the blow. Taking a step backwards he does his best to keep his footing in the rough terrain while trying to keep the undead from surrounding him. "Pharasma aid me..."

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Will save vs Fear effect last round - (1d20+9)[15] (vs unknown DC)

Swift action to use Lay On Hands to heal for (1d6+2)[8] HPs
    Fight defensively for +2 AC and -4 to hit
    Longsword vs E1: (1d20)[2] attack, (1d20)[17] (19-20/x2), (1d8+3)[11] slashing damage, (1d8+3)[8] critical strike damage
    Move to AS22, incurring AoOs (and hopefully preventing the rest of the party from taking any)

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf freezes for a split second before turning and wordlessly thrusting the rope in his hands into Elian's. Returning his gaze to the pit and the paladin far below, the half-orc lets out a roar of fury and steps down into the open air, the head of his heavy flail, raised for an overhand smash, trailing behind him!

Show
    RAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Gundwolf steps down into the pit to attack the things. Rolls do not include charge or other potentially applicable bonuses; please adjudicate as applicable.

Attack: (1d20+8)[13] (includes Power Attack penalty)
    CC: (1d20+8)[23] for x2 on 27+
    Damage: (1d10+12)[20] bludgeoning
    Crit damage: (1d10+12)[14] bludgeoning

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Gundwolf
    M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian (Superstitious) 3, Level 3, Init 2, HP 47/47, DR 0, Speed 30
    AC 15, Touch 9, Flat-footed 14, CMD 18, Fort 10, Ref 3, Will 5, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Trip, Disarm Heavy Flail Melee (1d10+Str*1.5, 19-20, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d4+Str, 19-20, x2)
    Sling (Bullets x 50) Ranged (1d4+Str, x2)
    Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, -2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition Rage: +4 Str, +6 Con, +2 Will saves, -2 AC

29. - Top - End - #389

Kristoph's sword swipe goes wide as he tries to recover his balance from the hit to the back. The water sloshes around his knees as he backs away, carefully stepping over sizable rocks beneath the murky water as he puts some distance between himself and the slime covered foes. They both try to take advantage of his retreat to take a swing at him, but the paladin easily bats away the swings as he ducks behind his shield during his retreat.

Gundwolf's attempt to aid his companion is anything but graceful, but it achieves the intended results! The half-orc topples too far forward on his swift downward descent as he brings the flail overhead. He ends up hitting the water in an inelegant bellyflop with a loud splash!, but the business end of his flail caves in the head of one of the two creatures on its way down! It slowly dissolves into a pile of goop in the water next to Gundwolf as he recovers his breath from the unintentional bellyflop. A crossbow bolt makes a thwip! sound in the water next to the creature as Leone's crossbow shot at the remaining assailant is off-mark. "Look out!" she yells from the edge of the pit as the other one seems ready to capitalize on the prone half-orc's disadvantage, already starting to raise its arms overhead for its next attack as it hovers just slightly over the surface of the water.

Spoiler: Middle Round 1
    Show

Aurora swaps out spells.
    Kristoph misses his attack, elicits two AoOs, but is missed twice.
    Gundwolf hits (barely), defeating the first of the two ectoplasmic creatures, but lands prone in the water and takes 8 points of damage from the fall.
    Leone fires crossbow bolt and misses.

All rolls in the OOC.

Elian is the only one left to act, and then it'll be the bad guys.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Elian's eyes widen almost comically as he grasps the ropes thrust into his hand. Though it seems impossible, they widen further as Gundwolfe leaps bodily down the hole. Looking into the depths, confusion manages dominance of his features, and he pulls out his crossbow. Aiming at the remaining goo monster, he pulls the trigger.

Spoiler: Elian Round 1
    Show
    Elian Evenstarr
    M NG Dhampir Seeker Sorc 1/Bard 2, Level 3, Init +5, HP 16/16, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 11, Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +4, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 2
    light crossbow (18 bolts) +5 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Dagger +1 or +5 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
    Condition1st level spells: 3/4
    Blood is life: 7/7

I'm hopeful that holding the rope in one hand will either be wholly unnecessary (we did secure it to something first, right?), or not take a hand.

move to draw crossbow, Standard to pew.
    (1d20+5)[14] crossbow pew
    (1d20+5)[8] CC
    (1d8)[7] dmg
    (1d8)[5] crit bonus?