New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown - Thread #2 (IC)

With a grin of grim satisfaction, Gundwolf turns to follow the trail, stalking after the treacherous deputy...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Requested Survival check: (1d20+6)[18]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gundwolf kneels down in the dirt once more near the building with the waterwheel to track his quarry. The tracks seem to go around this building and continue further north. This momentary pause in his movement gives the rest of the group time to catch up, some more out of breath from running than others.

Spoiler: Gundwolf Tracking
    Show

Nicely done on the tracking checks. You've tracked him to a house by the river, near a bridge that spans it.

The sheriff huffs softly, whispering sharply as the group continues north. "That's Lorne's house there, last one before the bridge. Think that's where he's gone?" He looks to Gundwolf questioningly, who responds briefly, if gruffly, in the affirmative.

Ahead of them is a rather pleasant looking home, solid in its construction of wood and stone combined. A chimney climbs from the center of the house but no smoke emits from it. Tall grasses surround the house as well as a few trees, barren thanks to winter, here and there. A small, neglected garden is behind the house, near the river, as well as a canoe and a few crates. Sheriff Caeller motions for everyone to halt a moment, and says quietly, "I don't know what's going on, but whatever happens, I want him alive. Do I make myself clear?"

Spoiler: OOC All
    Show

I'm assuming everyone wanted to come along. See the Google Docs page (link in my sig) for a map. Look for a tab called "Chasing Lorne". You're starting at the bottom left of the map. Lorne's house is drawn, as are the other houses and features in the area.

Lighting outside is normal, inside is dim. Lorne's house has two doors, shown in a light blue outline on the map. Indicate where you go/what you do. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    "Make sure Gundwolf does NOT kill him!!"
    "Even if I catch him, I am not sure I can stop him...or want to try..." mutters Kristoph as he hustles in his heavy armor, following Elian as the other man leads him towards the half-orc.

"I don't know what's going on, but whatever happens, I want him alive. Do I make myself clear?"
    Nodding, Kristoph begins to give directions. "Both Aurora and myself can heal Lorne if he fights back or tries to hurt himself. Let's disarm or otherwise disable him, but don't get yourself killed in the process - he is clearly willing to murder to keep his secrets, whatever they may be." The knight looks at the sheriff and then gestures back at the jail to emphasize his point. "I assume there is a door to the rear, maybe by the river?" At the sheriff's affirmation, he continues, "Gundwolf, you come with me and Ra'Hulhrim to the back side of the house. Sheriff, if you will please go with Elian and Aurora to the front. We will go in from the rear while you knock on the door to get his attention. Should he attack anyone take cover, call out loudly, and wait for the other group to go and remove the threat. Everyone ready?"

At the party members signs of agreement Kristoph leads his group towards the river-side entrance, leaving the rest of the team to approach the home from the front with a show of official-ness.

4. - Top - End - #124

NecromancerGuy

As he begins to walk towards the rear of the house and the nearby river, Kristoph looks around again. The house, barely visible at the edges of his clouded sight, comes into focus as he gets closer. While the others approach from the front he has a moment to look down at the short sword in his hands - Lorne's left behind at the jail. Shrugging, he grips it firmly as he turns its blade to the flat side, making sure Gundwolf sees him do it.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Perception (1d20+2)[12]

As he gets a better look at the sword Kristoph notices the unholy symbol of the Whispering Way on its pommel, he nearly drops the weapon in disgust. Instead, he jabs it into the dirt beside the house and draws his longsword, gesturing to the others to leave the weapon where it is for now.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I don't know what's going on, but whatever happens, I want him alive. Do I make myself clear?"
    Gundwolf's grimly enthusiastic grin shifts into an expression of some distaste, but he nods begrudgingly to the sheriff while growling his annoyance softly into the growing evening. Spinning the head of his flail in anticipation, the half-orc strides off around the house, adopting a crouched stance as though coiling to spring toward the door at the first sounds of activity within...

Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[17] <-- apply this to either listing within or listening for a sign from the front, whichever is more appropriate.
    If desired, second Perception: (1d20+7)[16]
    Strength check to pwn the door on the way in: (1d20+6)[22] <-- assumes use of Rage, which will happen if there's any indication of the fight being started.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Elian briefly interrupts the party as the stalk towards the building. "If I may, I have a certain knack for incapacitating people without harming them. Please, if you are able, keep your distance and let me make the attempt. I do not have perfect control over the placement of the effect, and I think we would all be somewhat put out with a second or third comatose individual on our hands- particularly one of our own. Let me check his door before you make any noises."

Elian hurries around the building to the front door, as suggested by Kristoph, and tries the handle quietly before making any effort to gain their quarry's attention.

Show
    (1d20+9)[23] stealth
    (1d20+10)[30] perception

If needed for traps or locks: (in that order)
    (1d20+12)[30] Disable device
    (1d20+12)[23] Disable device

As he approaches the door, his breath catches in his through. Blood. Lots of blood. On the porch, seeping under the door, handprints on the knob and door itself. Elian gulps, and turns to warn Aurora and the Sheriff. "I do believe this just got messy." Without waiting for a response, he tests the door, mentally preparing himself to incapacitate anyone he finds beyond.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora welcomes the chance to catch her breath as Elian moves to inspect the front door alone, the chase having proved quite draining on her weakened condition. As Elian points out the blood seeping under the door her face pales, and she gulps in apprehension as she draws her belt knife with quivering fingers, standing back at a distance with the sheriff.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

At Ra'Hulhrim's awkward display of deference and then rush of information, the old priest deepens his furry brows once more and his eyes sharpen. He looks briefly at Aurora and sees that she seems familiar with him and then says sharply, "I don't know who you are, my boy, but if what you say is true, babble no more and lead the way."
    Ra'hulrhim lithely weaves through the crowd, making a path through the people for Father Grimburrow and Aurora. "As Aurora said, I'm an old friend of the late professor and his daughter. I was investigating some activity and rumors of lycanthropy for him out north. I came as soon as I heard the news, but was delayed several days."

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    In a lower voice as they go, she explains that Father Grimburrow possesses the means to heal her affliction, and requires only a modest donation in return.
    Without breaking his stride, and accustomed to talking while traveling swiftly, albeit usually to himself or Del'dretch. Dreamstrider carries on the conversation effortlessly without breaking his stride, "Father, I cannot express my gratitude enough for what you've done for Aurora. She is brave. She stood face-to-face with that abomination. Without her, I would not have been able to line up my shot. I haven't much coin, myself, but I'm have skill in training animals. If you need horses trained."

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    After exchanging a startled glance with Dreamstrider, Aurora picks up her skirts and runs as fast as her legs will carry her after the others, with no breath wasted on conversation.
    Seeing that the injured parties are in capable hands he gives Aurora a curt nod. He shrugs his bow from his shoulder. Nocking an arrow he begins to make his way round the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Elian briefly interrupts the party as the stalk towards the building. "Please, if you are able, keep your distance and let me make the attempt."
    Giving a wide berth, keeping alert, he readies his shot, aiming low.
    Show

Keeping about 50' back. If it looks like we've got a runner (unlikely given the blood, but he hasn't had much time to survey the scene), Ra'hulhrim intends to take a shot aiming for the lower leg to (hopefully) slow our quarry.
    Ra'hulhrim the Dream Strider and his companion Del'dretch for Carrion Crown

Raeziel the Ruby Magus for Curse of Strahd

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Elian briefly interrupts the party as they stalk towards the building. "If I may, I have a certain knack for incapacitating people without harming them. Please, if you are able, keep your distance and let me make the attempt. I do not have perfect control over the placement of the effect, and I think we would all be somewhat put out with a second or third comatose individual on our hands- particularly one of our own. Let me check his door before you make any noises."
    The sheriff raises a brow, but as they reach the front of the house he gives a gesture to the front door as if to say be my guest, showing a level of trust heretofore unseen, hanging back a dozen or so feet at the ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink
    As he approaches the door, his breath catches in his through. Blood. Lots of blood. On the porch, seeping under the door, handprints on the knob and door itself. Elian gulps, and turns to warn Aurora and the Sheriff. "I do believe this just got messy." Without waiting for a response, he tests the door, mentally preparing himself to incapacitate anyone he finds beyond.
    Sheriff Caeller pulls his blade at this news and waits eagerly, giving Elian a nod. The bard inspects the door further and finds no sign of physical defenses of any sort prevent access to the house. As he and Gundwolf are listening at either door (and as Elian has just started to turn the handle gently, discovering that it was left unlocked), their senses sharp for any signs of the deputy, they both hear the muffled sound of glass shattering somewhere in the house.

The front door creaks open, allowing daylight to filter into the otherwise dim room beyond. Worn but well crafted furniture adorn the sizable common room beyond. Old ashes sit cold in the stone hearth, across from which are a couple of wooden chairs and a small table. A couple of wooden plates and silverware sit on the table, scraps of uneaten food still on the plate from earlier in the day or perhaps the day before. Tucked in the far left of the room is a large wooden hutch, the drawers of which are closed. The two windows in this room have the shutters pulled and the curtains drawn closed. Directly opposite the front door is an opening into the kitchen and off to the far left of the common room is an archway with a dark curtain pulled across it, blocking vision of what lays beyond.

The blood trail continues into the house, pooling here and there on the wooden flooring. A strange reddish mass sits on the floor about ten feet into the room amidst one of the dark red pools. It takes Elian a moment to determine what it is - a severed tongue. Beside it is a bloody dagger that was likely the implement that did the deed.

At the same moment, an explosion of sound erupts from the opposite side of the house as Gundwolf shoulders open the door, which opens violently and slams against the wall. He finds himself in a kitchen with various pots, pans, and kitchen implements scattered everywhere and old food sitting on the counters and shelving that line the outside wall. Access to the fireplace hearth for cooking is possible on the wall opposite the rear door. Worn cloaks and hats hang from hooks near the entry, beneath them are a collection of muddy boots. In the corner is a collection of fishing gear: pole, nets, lures, and more.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2015-09-22 at 04:54 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf charges through the door into the kitchen, and although seeming almost not to visibly look at anything in his surroundings, he steps quickly through the kitchen and into the common room. Looking through Elian more than at him, the half-orc instinctively follows the trail of blood toward the curtained-off archway while a rumbling roar builds within him. With one bulging arm, he throws the curtain wide, roaring in anticipation of his quarry...

11. - Top - End - #131

The curtain comes partially off the fasteners above the archway, revealing a pitch black hallway. Unfazed by the darkness, directly in front of him Gundwolf sees a closed wooden door. To his left is a short hallway that dead ends with a small table that has a small carved bust on it as decoration. A few portraits line the walls of the narrow hallway. To his right are more portraits and two more closed wooden doors further down along the left-hand wall. The hallway widens a bit at the far end of the hallway to his right, revealing a small set of stairs leading down to some sort of basement.

More importantly, the drops of blood lead to the stairs. However, he hears a strange strangled choking sound coming from that far end of the hallway.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGuy

At the sound of breaking glass and Gundwolf's charge, Kristoph follows the half-Orc closely into the house. His altered sight suddenly becomes an advantage in the dark space and he easily keeps up with the barbarian.

"Quickly, get to him before we cannot heal him and discover what he knows! We cannot let him drown on his own blood!" cries the Pharasmin knight as he follows the trail of blood, heedless of his own safety in the critical moment.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf seems not to hear Kristoph, instead frenziedly following the trail of blood, even to the point of practically leaping down the stairs into the basement.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

At the same moment, an explosion of sound erupts from the opposite side of the house as Gundwolf shoulders open the door, which opens violently and slams against the wall.
    Aurora exchanges looks with Elian and Dreamstrider before moving towards the house. "Gundwolf! Are you alright!?" she cries as she makes her way into the dimly-lit house with the others.

Spoiler: Positioning
    Show
    I've placed Aurora in L-15, next to Elian. She will cast Light on her dagger if it is too dark for regular vision to see clearly.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Elian's brows furrow in the darkness, as he hurries along the trail of blood. "I suppose you'd rather kill him, despite the sheriff's desire, Gundwolf? Master yourself before you invite undue strife. This town needs no aid in that pursuit." Gesturing to the curtained portal, he mutters sarcastically, "Please, be my guest. Any chance for surprise has long since departed."

Elian prepares to follow his boisterous ally through the doorway, making no effort to mask his annoyance.

16. - Top - End - #136

Sheriff Caeller rushes into the house after Gundwolf roars and breaks down the back door. By the time he reaches the threshold, he sees Gundwolf ripping open the curtain and hurrying into the hallway beyond. He stops a moment and the blood and gore laying about registers with him and he scowls deeply. "What in the name of the Forest Father happened?" he mutters as he sees the tongue and the pools of red. He snaps his head up at Kristoph's yell, voicing his agreement loudly that they need him alive.

Aurora and Ra'Hulrhim also enter and see the same scene, catching sight of Gundwolf, Elian and Kristoph rushing into the hallway and the sheriff close behind. Dreamstrider quickly surveys the scene, kneeling down to examine the blood and its pattern for a moment.

Spoiler: Ra'Hulrhim
    Show

You are unable to tell if the amount of blood was a fatal amount of it, but it's likely he suffered greatly. But the amount of blood around the tongue does not match the amount you expect - it's likely the removal was done elsewhere, possibly even outside the front of the house. You cannot tell whether it was self-inflicted or not, however.

Gundwolf reaches the basement stairs, and his first few footfalls crunch loudly. There are glass shards scattered about the first few steps, likely indicating the source of the breaking glass heard earlier. As he reaches these few steps, the sound of the choking, gargling sound ceases followed quickly by a hollow thud.

When he reaches the bottom of the steep, roughly-cut stone steps, he finds a rough-carved stone basement about five and a half-feet in height. The floorboards above allow thin, weak streams of heavily filtered light down into the cellar, giving it little more than the barest of illumination. Crates and barrels line the walls of the room, containing foodstuffs and sundry supplies.

At the center of the room, Lorne lay facedown on the stone floor, his eyes staring lifelessly forward and his mouth is half-open. A pool of blood is beginning to form under his mouth, and it is immediately evident that his tongue is missing. His hands and feet twitch slightly in the last remnants of his death throes.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

Seeing Lorne's prone form, Kristoph pushes past Gundwolf towards the man. "He is already down! He shouldn't have passed out already from cutting his own tongue out - something else is wrong!"

Show
    Taking 10 with Perception and Sense Motive for 12 and 13 respectively.

If the scene looks safe, Kristoph will approach Lorne, readying his last use of Lay on Hands to heal (1d6)[3] HPs and hopefully stabilize him.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora hurries towards the basement stairs, calling out to the others. "What is it - what do you see???"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Beholder

Walking over to the tongue, not finding the table for a napkin, pausing for a moment before untucking his shirt and using his shirt tail to pick up the severed tongue from the floor. Ra'hulhrim and examines it, "There should be much more blood in here. The tongue was removed elsewhere certainly not in this room and none too gently."

Mumbling to himself, "It was definitely cut... It doesn't make sense that he'd cut his own tongue and then keep running... without healing skill he'd bleed out, but not this fast... how did he pass out so fast?"

Show

Hoping to determine the direction of the cut and whether it was self-inflicted now that I'm examining the tongue close up and personal. :D
    Last edited by marrok; 2015-09-25 at 09:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As he reaches the basement and sees the collapsed form of Lorne, Gundwolf slumps where he stands, his frenzied focus on chasing his quarry replaced by a bone-deep weariness. He steps to the side, almost sitting against the wall as his companions step in to assess the man's condition.

21. - Top - End - #141

Beholder

Tossing the tongue on the table and wiping his hands on his shirt, "Lorne did this with his own hand, Kristoph. Besides the obvious, I can't fathom why. Opening his own throat would have been quicker."

His eyes flash purple, and he listens intently for any signs of invisible foes.

Show

Activates spirit sense and scans the area for undead; fey; outsiders; and astral, ethereal, or incorporeal creatures.
    Perception roll JIC:
    Perception: (1d20+9)[26]

22. - Top - End - #142

The tongue lands on the table with a wet plop. Ra'Hulrhim's scan of the area reveals no sign of undead or otherworldly foes. Aurora's dagger flares with a sudden brightness as she casts light upon it and dashes into the hallway after the others.

The sheriff eases around Elian, who stops at the top of the stairs, and begins to descend the steps. He stops when he sees Gundwolf slumped against the wall, obviously more relaxed in posture than just a few seconds previous. Curiously, he kneels down and picks up one of the glass shards at his feet and uses the opportunity to peek down under the floorboards and into the gloom of the basement. Aurora's dagger casts long shadows throughout the area, dimly lighting the nearer portions of the basement from her position. Benjamin calls out, "What in the Hells happened?!" as he sees Kristoph approach Lorne's corpse.

At the same moment, Kristoph kneels next to Lorne in an attempt to administer healing to the once-deputy. But the expected outcome does not occur. Instead, the deputy's flesh begins to sizzle and peel away as Kristoph's hand makes contact. Lorne's eyes suddenly flash a sickly, bruised purple color and launches his ambush. Kristoph barely has a moment to respond as the corpse's hand suddenly flies up and impacts solidly directly on Kristoph's breastplate, just below the neck, leaving a sizable dent from the strength of the impact. Thankfully, the metal protected him from the worst of the blow, promising only a light bruise where it would have very likely left a terrible wound otherwise.

Lorne's corpse begins to stand and move with a preternatural quickness and silence, but the eyes burn brightly with hatred as its arm pulls back and hand tightens into a clenched fist for another strike!

Spoiler: OOC All
    Show

Well, that was the surprise round! Kristoph inadvertently does 3 points of damage to Lorne, who is apparently now undead!

See the dice roll thread for the resulting attack roll (and miss), but I narrated it such that what would have been 17 points of damage was soaked by his armor instead. The "bruising" I mentioned was nothing more than flavor. No actual nonlethal damage was taken.

Please roll initiative! Lorne acts on 25 (also in the dice rolls thread).

Note about the Google map: when you reach F-18, that becomes BD-8 (where the sheriff is now).

Marrok, you did not see any undead because the stone blocked your vision into the basement. (I had described it as a rough-cut stone basement.)

Begin Round 1!
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

23. - Top - End - #143

Round 1
    Spoiler: Combat Overview
    Show

Lorne stands and then attacks Kristoph, who is still flat-footed (and thus does not get an AoO. Successfully hits and deals 15 points of damage to Kristoph. See dice rolls thread.

Kristoph is at -2 to attack rolls against Lorne for (1d4)[3] rounds.

Everyone else's turn now to finish up Round 1.

Lorne's incredible quickness serves to momentarily stun Kristoph such that before the paladin can fully react, the newly-undead deputy is already standing and looming over the still half-crouched knight. The flesh around the deputy's face begins to quickly wither and tighten, becoming increasingly gaunt and leathery. His increasingly-sunken eyes briefly flare as he swiftly punches downwards on the back of the paladin's head, making Kristoph's vision blur and his balance go a little off-kilter.

The creature that was Lorne gives a wicked, taunting grin but says nothing and makes nearly no sound. This traitor to the town, not to mention the very sanctity of life, has become something much worse than the mindless zombies that attacked the town a few nights ago. A fierce intelligence shines in the creature's eyes. And limitless hatred.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Elian, Round 1
    Show
    Elian Evenstarr
    M NG Dhampir Seeker Sorc 1/Bard 2, Level 3, Init +5, HP 6/16, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 11, Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +4, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 2
    light crossbow (18 bolts) +5 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
    Dagger +1 or +5 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 9, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 18
    Condition Bardic Performance, 8/8 remaining

Sort of expecting an attack, Elian dashes down the stairs into the basement. From the relative safety of behind Kristoph, he focuses his eyes and speaks a words, more soothingly than his expression would justify.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move action to BC/7
    Standard action to cast lullaby, targeting the space behind the baddy, so Kristoph isn't effected. Will save DC 17 else a -5 on perception, and a -2 on will saves vs sleep effects

>_>
    <_<
    Sleep is a full-round action D:

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 1

Aurora hurriedly follows Elian into the basement, where she sees Kristoph under attack by the transformed Lorne. With a cry, she conjures a hex to ward hamper the creature's strikes!

Show
    Move to BC-8 or BE-8 (if Gundwolf is still occupying BC-8), and use a Misfortune Hex on Lorne: DC 14 Will or he rerolls d20s and takes the worst.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Aurora
    F NG Human Witch 3
    HP 22/22 --> 17/17
    Init +8
    Speed 30
    AC 16 (Touch 12, Flat-footed 14)
    CMD 11 --> 10
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4 --> +2,+2,+3
    CMB -1 --> -2
    Base Attack Bonus +1
    Current Ability Scores: Str 7, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 9
    Condition: --> 1 negative level
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2015-09-25 at 06:59 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With a snarl, Gundwolf moves forward in a low crouch before sweeping his flail irritably at the monstrosity!

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+2)[12]

Advance to melee with ugly

Power Attack:
    Attack: (1d20+5)[21]
    CC: (1d20+5)[13] for x2 on 24-25
    Damage: (1d10+8)[11]
    Crit damage: (1d10+8)[12]

AoO, if applicable:
    Attack: (1d20+5)[24]
    CC: (1d20+5)[6] for x2 on 24-25
    Damage: (1d10+8)[18]
    Crit damage: (1d10+8)[12]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[9]
    CC: (1d20+5)[21] for x2 on 24-25
    Damage: (1d10+8)[18]
    Crit damage: (1d10+8)[14]

27. - Top - End - #147

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 3, HP 9 (16 after drinking the potion)/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, CMD 14, Fort 9, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Morningstar +4 (1d8+2, 20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Deflection)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Condition Lay on Hands 5/5 Used

"Sherff, Lorne isn't alive anymore - something he did in the last several minutes has killed him and now turned him into some kind of undead! Taking him alive is no longer an option - we have to destroy him!" cries Kristoph as he steps backwards and drinks a potion from his belt quickly before taking his shield in hand.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    5-ft step to BE7
    Move Action to ready his shield
    Standard Action to drink a potion of Cure Light Wounds, healing for (1d8+1)[7] HPs

28. - Top - End - #148

Beholder

Round 1
    Dreamstider rushes to the stairs, hearing Kristoph confirm his assumptions, nocks a undead bane arrow and levels it at the the creature that used to be Lorne.

Show

Used 2 move actions to move to BD8
    Last edited by marrok; 2015-09-28 at 03:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

As Kristoph backs up to heal himself and ready his shield, Lorne's eyes track his movement and he looks about ready to follow. However, Kristoph's place is quickly filled by Gundwolf's hulking form who uses the opportunity to bludgeon the once-deputy. However, even though the flail's blunt end did strike Lorne, he seems to shrug off some of the damage thanks to some foul undead protections. Lorne's eyes narrow on Gundwolf with an even greater hate, his prejudice against orcs overwhelming even his disdain for the Pharasmin knight.

Meanwhile, Elian and Aurora enter the fray, both launching arcane assaults. The room's lighting dramatically increases as Aurora's glowing dagger illuminates the otherwise gloomy room. While Lorne seems able to shrug off the strange eldritch forces that Aurora commands, the deputy's eyes seem to flicker briefly, as if almost sleepily, as Elian's magic takes hold.

After Kristoph yells out what's going on, the sheriff comes down and can see for the first time what has become of his deputy. He grits his teeth and shakes his head in disgust. "Why Lorne? How...!?" He has little time otherwise as he steps up to take a swing at the undead, and strikes solidly, but again the protective forces at play reduce the damage to be almost minimal.

End Round 1
    Show

Gundwolf and Sheriff Caeller both hit. Lorne has Damage Reduction 5, so Gundwolf's hit only does 6 points of damage while the sheriff's only does 2 points. So far, Lorne has taken a total of 11.

Lorne passes the save versus Aurora's Misfortune but fails the save versus Elian's lullaby.

Begin Round 2
    After Gundwolf strikes Lorne, the creature's eyes focus intently on the half-orc. He looks as though he's about to shift to the right to attack, which Gundwolf adjusts for but doesn't see the left-hand strike coming that hits him squarely in the side of the head, right in the temple. Gundwolf sees stars and shakes his head, trying to get his sense of balance back from the surprise attack.

Show

See dice rolls thread. Lorne is a rogue with Improved Feint. He successfully used the Feint action to leave Gundwolf flat-footed, thus allowing him to use his sneak attack.

Gundwolf takes 19 points of damage. Lorne also has Befuddling Strike (a rogue talent) that makes anyone struck by a rogue's sneak attack to receive a -2 penalty to attack rolls for 1d4 rounds. In this case, Gundwolf has 2 rounds of befuddlement.

Everyone else may now go to complete Round 2.

Marrok, from your current square (BD/8), you're at a -4 penalty to your attack roll because of cover from the flooring (you're at the top of the stairs). You will need to move further down if you do not want to take a penalty.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Kristoph's Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 2/Oracle 1, Level 3, Init 3, HP 16/31, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 18 (21 vs. Lorne), Touch 11 (14 vs. Lorne), Flat-footed 18 (21 vs. Lorne), CMD 14 (17 vs. Lorne), Fort 9, Ref 5, Will 9, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Longsword +4 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead) (+8, 1d8+5, 19-20/x2 vs. Lorne)
    Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Deflection (+4 Deflection vs. Lorne))
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Condition Lay on Hands 5/5 Used
    Smite Evil (Lorne)

"If we could reason with him before, he is beyond that now - Sheriff, we have to destroy him. " Kristoph calls, before stepping forward to cover Gundwolf's retreat.

"IN THE NAME OF THE LADY OF GRAVES, I CONDEMN YOU TO TRUE DEATH, FOUL ABOMINATION!" Kristoph bellows as he brings his longsword down at the reanimated corpse.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    5-ft step to BD6 (after Gundwolf has stepped away)
    Swift Action to Smite Evil Lorne
    Longsword (1d20+8)[20] attack, (1d20+8)[11] (19-20/x2), (1d8+7)[11] damage, (1d8+7)[11] critical strike damage (pierces all damage reduction possessed by Lorne)