New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What to watch out for when running REUP for the first time

I am planning to start a new campaign and finally use the idea for a KotOR game I had a while back. Considering the options, the REUP edition of WEG d6 seems like a very promising system. The document is massive, but the actual rules section is actually still pretty compact compared to many other games.

It's a nice and rather simple game, but I never actually got to play or run it yet. Are there any known pitfalls regarding specific rules, or things that GMs have to watch out for when running games that result from the way the game works?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What to watch out for when running REUP for the first time

The damage scaling (particularly around ranged weaponry) can get weird, often dragging things out. Basically you try to hit first, then you try to damage, both of which are generally opposed rolls (except when they aren't). Tough characters can routinely completely ignore hits, and fights between tough characters who are good at dodging but who aren't particularly good shots or using heavy weapons involve a lot of nothing happening.

The term "Blaster Proof Wookie" was coined for d6 Starwars, and got inherited by both d6 Space and REUP.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Would it make sense to cap attributes and skills to check such escalations?

Or simply say that demage can't be reduced below 1D?
    Last edited by Yora; 2018-06-06 at 09:46 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I might cap strength at 4D instead of 5D for those species that can go that high, but the problem remains. You could say that there is always a minimum of 1 damage (stun). Or, only unarmored individuals always take a minimum damage, giving armor some more benefit. However, this mostly will only come up with species like wookies and gamorreans.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2018-06-06 at 12:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Wookies are probably one of the most popular picks for species, though. But capping their advancement looks like the easiest way to me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

First of all, the Rancorpit is a great resource for d6 stuff.

As mentioned, a big thing to watch out for is damage resistance. Some races have big Strengths, which translate into big DR rolls, which can make them hard to injure.

Also remember the swinginess of the wild die. Do NOT overuse complications (i.e. 1s on the wild die resulting in something bad happening). They should happen occasionally, not 1 in every 6 rolls. If you can't think of a good complication without getting weird, don't bother.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Wookies are probably one of the most popular picks for species, though. But capping their advancement looks like the easiest way to me.
    Another option, which might seem like more complexity than you want, would be to give certain weapons ability to bypass strength to some degree. So, for instance, blasters can could be resisted by a max of 3D worth of biological strength- but physical attacks are resisted by the full strength dice.

A good way to nail a wookie, of course, is to shoot at it with a vehicle or a space fighter. Lol

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Another option, which might seem like more complexity than you want, would be to give certain weapons ability to bypass strength to some degree. So, for instance, blasters can could be resisted by a max of 3D worth of biological strength- but physical attacks are resisted by the full strength dice.

A good way to nail a wookie, of course, is to shoot at it with a vehicle or a space fighter. Lol
    Could always drop a moon on them.

Note that d6 Space changed damage resistance from straight Strength to 1D + 1 pip per die of Strength. So, if you have a 4D strength, you would have damage resistance of 1D + 1D+ 1 (since every 3 pips is 1 full die), or 2D+1. The full-on wookie would only have 3D for DR.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Could always drop a moon on them.

Note that d6 Space changed damage resistance from straight Strength to 1D + 1 pip per die of Strength. So, if you have a 4D strength, you would have damage resistance of 1D + 1D+ 1 (since every 3 pips is 1 full die), or 2D+1. The full-on wookie would only have 3D for DR.
    Did it? I don't think my pdf says that. It's a good idea, though.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hey, no, they didn't. I was thinking of how to combat damage was done (i.e. how much damage do I do if I punch you). I think I figured the other out as a house rule and then just kept assuming it was canon. My bad.
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

d6 Space was also updated fairly recently, receiving a pseudo-edition-change through what is basically the tabletop version of a large patch. That might have done something as well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.