New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Tome of Horrors and Pathfinder Bestiary

Hey fellow RPG enthusiasts! I am a long-time lurker on this forum but decided today was the day to start asking questions and getting answers directly .My question: What is the relationship between the Tome of Horrors from Sword & Sorcery/Necromancer Games, and the Pathfinder Bestiaries? I just want to get more monsters into a campaign setting that I'm creating, whether from d&d 3.5 or any easily convertible system/campaign. Thanks .

Also; Any tips for a newbie to the forums?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Horrors and Pathfinder Bestiary

Welcome!

Tome of Horrors is a third-party book - there is no relationship to the first-party Bestiaries unless you want there to be at your table. It works just like third-party supplements did in 3.5 - You can use any, all or none of them at your table as you choose.

The only advice I could give would be just to evaluate it on its own merits. Some third-party product are great additions to the game, such as nearly anything by Dreamscarred Press. Some however, are completely unbalanced (and/or poorly written) and likely to cause more problems than they solve.

I don't really have tips for the forum itself. If you see a discussion that looks interesting, dive right in with both feet! We're a friendly bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)