New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Random Plots and Places 11: Still more random than you!

[The Evolving Wilds]

Libra thoughtfully starts counting up the aspects of Harnetta that she could recall. "Okay, uh, she likes fighting, smithing, swording, reading..." She then pauses, a wide grin suddenly spreading across her face. "But, as for what she's like, I could tell you some of the wishes she made to yours truly, wishes that only she and I know ever were granted since I had to made entirely new realities to contain them, wishes that in the end she never wanted granted." She giggles. "Buuuuut, instead I'll just tell you that she is honorable, dutiful, usually acts without thinking, enjoys helping people, hates the undead and, uh, is generally seen as a pretty nice person. How about that, huh?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2016-07-07 at 01:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Evolving Wilds

Lee considers it all, nodding to herself thoughtfully, "Sure, I'll give her a try, she sounds fun. Name a time and place, I guess, and I'll be there to meet up with her." If nothing else, it would get her out of the ethereal more often.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

3. - Top - End - #1113

The Evolving Wilds

"Yay!" Libra jumps up in excitement, her hands thrown into the air, causing yet another cloud of spores to be released as she lands. "Riverside, tomorrow evening around eight, at club pulse. I'll make sure she'll be there." She promises with a wide smile as she waves away the new spore cloud.

4. - Top - End - #1114

The Evolving Wilds

"Ick, a club? Sure, I'll be there. But she better take me somewhere else after that." Lee warns before chesire-fading back into the ether. Looks like she's not a fan of the dance scene. Which is understandable, given her relative dislike of industrial places.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

5. - Top - End - #1115

The Evolving Wilds

"Uh, you can meet somewhere else if you want!" Libra calls out after a moment of hesitation, considering it now appears as if she is alone, she adds. "I'll tell her to take you some place you want. Like... uh, something mating."

Then without waiting for a reply, Libra disappears as well.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Elexxion Main Hub

Sam frowns rather immediately. For some reason despite friends like Alexia and Dorry mocking him incessantly, this robot's tone bothers him.
    "No, my speech pattern indicates that I've never called anyone my girlfriend before even though we've had more than one date before and so the term applies. " he growls, reaching for his phone, a small tablet by a human's perspective but smartphone sized for him. He pulls up a picture of himself with a young woman of about twenty years sporting a cybernetic arm, mecha-dendrites (which are presumably what were used to take the picture), and a complex rebreather implant replacing her lower nose, face, and throat.
    "That's her. Thing on her face? It replaced her mouth and tongue and lungs. But it doesn't have jaws; she can't eat. I'm asking for her if it could be replaced by something more uh...elegant's the word? of yours. She's got a stricter work schedule than me and couldn't make it."
    Actually, Sam's works more hours than Sherrel does usually. He's just a bit of a workaholic.
    The strange woman does not react to tone, though she does note it and adjust her attitude accordingly.

She takes one look at the photo. "Of course," answers the artificial woman. "We can replicate a working jaw, tongue, and facial structure. The procedure is expensive, but Elexxion's payment plans are nothing if not flexible, sir." She looks at him seriously. "If that's what you mean, sir. The use of the word 'something' indicates to me that you may wish for a simpler apparatus? Perhaps a less expensive alternative?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

Elexxion Main Hub

Sam nods.
    "I'll gladly look at the options. Would the price be adjusted because her old implant would have to be removed instead of the living parts on most people?" he asks. He really wishes he was talking to a person. Robots are so weird.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Elexxion Main Hub

Sam nods.
    "I'll gladly look at the options. Would the price be adjusted because her old implant would have to be removed instead of the living parts on most people?" he asks. He really wishes he was talking to a person. Robots are so weird.

"Certainly not. There would only be adjustment fees applied if your friend's apparatus proved especially difficult to replace. How does your friend take in nourishment? Tube feeding?"
    The woman bows her head slightly, trying to seem clinical and respectful toward the subject.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

Elexxion Main Hub

Sam nods.
    "Yeah, liquid diet. Pretty sure her stomach's fine; her....apparatus is only connected to her mouth and breathing." he explains.

Zaff's

Exactly 27 hours after he gained his new magic spark, making it about four days since the Dreamlands incident, Isaac can be found in Zaff's, looking a bit tired as he goes for his locker. He's been here all day, having the teachers run diagnostic spells to figure out what kind of magic he has now, and rescheduling all his practical classes. He's going to need summer schooling to catch up, or he'll be stuck with freshman classes. At the very least he can't argue with what he received. He'll miss illusions, but wards will definitely be just as good at keeping him alive. Probably.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2016-07-10 at 09:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1120

[Zaff's]

Getting your magic totally revamped is a real pain. Especially since that means starting everything.

All.

Over.

Again.

If only he had gotten to keep his illusions. Illusions are usually moon and night related, right? That could have been totally thematic. But alas, apparently it wasn't meant to be. As he stands there, being exhausted by the day's run-around, another student moves up along side him.

"Hey Isaac," the boy who looks to be about his age says. He's a quiet one from his illusion class, what was his name? Luke? Luke never talked to him much. Never talked to anyone much, really. He was pretty amazing at illusions cast on himself, but external ones were okay at best. He had this cool trick where he would pluck out a strand of his sandy brown hair and place illusions on them that were almost real. That was fairly impressive. "I heard about what happened. How you lost your old magic? I'm really sorry to hear that, it's gotta suck. You must have gotten something to replace it though, right?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2016-07-10 at 10:15 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's

Isaac winces. Lucas was his name, right? Something like that. He's not as distinctive as someone like Marissa or Roobin. "Yeah, it's...it is what it is. A nice goddess gave me some new magic, but it's all abjuration and evocation mostly. They're probably going to push me to take combat magic classes. And you now how those get. It's all guys built like trolls and minotaurs. Some of them are trolls and minotaurs. All I've got is a healing factor." he says with a sad smile and a shrug.
    Though that's not true, Isaac! The only minotaur in the school is a girl, and she's a year ahead of you. You wouldn't be taking classes with her. Probably.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Default [Zaff's]

"Oh, really?" Lucas replies, brightening slightly. "Are you going to be taking the introduction to magical combat class this summer? I thought it would be fun to expand my repertoire a bit beyond trickery. I think I've come up with some really great uses for my shape shifting, too! And I've got some magical critters I can use if things come down to a fight. And I figured out how to use my hair trick to make illusionary fire that burns just like the real thing!"

It sure is fortunate that this kid's hair grows back abnormally fast.

Otherwise he would have been bald by last semester.

"Have you gotten to try out your blasty spells yet?"

He sounds really excited!

"The best part is trying to come up with fun, imaginative ways to use magic to get unexpected results. I was just reading a book about that a little while ago. About how the most important thing in combat magic is being-"

Lucas grins, his eyes briefly becoming dark, full of mischief and playfulness. Eyes so deep and old they're full of stars.

"-unpredictable. Did you want to see the book? They've got a copy at the library."

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's

Isaac shrugs.
    "I have to start with the basics of abjuration and evocation first. So far my strengths are those in that order, though I can heal a little. Not that I need it myself except to make things even faster. Besides, after the first combat magic class you have to pass physical tests to get in, so I'm going to need to, well, start trying to be less of a shrimp, you know?"
    But then he blinks at that quick little flash of....age?
    "Yeah...sure." he says quietly. Did he imagine it? Maybe. Sometimes that just happens with magic users. Or maybe something else is afoot. Or perhaps more rightly, ahoof?

14. - Top - End - #1124

Default [Zaff's]

"Haha, yeah. Sometimes I don't really think about how lanky and weak I am in my natural shape," Lucas laughs. "It doesn't matter as much when you can-"

Suddenly he swells into a rather striking parody of Arnold Schwarzenegger!

"-get PUMPED AHP!" Lucas bellows, flexing and kissing one of his massive biceps before just as quickly shrinking down into his normal form again. "But they told me I have to pass the test, too. And in my default shape. They'll be able to tell if I'm cheating. Maybe..." Lucas smiles hopefully. "Maybe we could work on getting less wimpy together? I don't... um... I don't..." he stammers, tapping his pointer fingers together. "I don't have that many friends. Just asking you if you want to maybe hang out and study was really hard."

Aaww...

Poor shy kids.

Lucas was always quite a bit more outgoing when he was pretending to be something else. But when he was back to being himself, he always seemed to try to just... fade into the background.

Though he brightens considerably when Isaac agrees to study with him!

"R-really? You mean it? Oh, golly, that would be great. We'll have so much fun together. And- and maybe we can visit each others houses? D-do you like fighting games? I have a bunch."

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's

Isaac laughs at the shapeshifting nonsense, cosmic horror momentarily forgotten.
    "Yeah, sure. We can try working out a little together. I'm not usually good at video games. I can try, though." he admits. He has always stuck to art as his hobbies, and not games.
    But still, Isaac, you've agreed to train with someone. Now they could cut to montage at any moment and there's nothing you could do to stop it!

16. - Top - End - #1126

Default [Zaff's]

"G-great! We can go to the library first? They might have some books on good physical training regiments for b-battle mages," Lucas replies, his confidence showing through a little more. Off to the library! As they head down the halls, Lucas decides to field a question. "Umm... if you don't mind me asking... How did you lose your magic? Y-you don't need to answer that if you don't want to! It's okay if you don't, it's none of my business anyway."

It certainly isn't.

But talking about one's self is a good way to build friendships.

And Isaac is really going to need a partner if he wants to get in shape.

Someone else keeping you on the course can be very helpful after all!

Hopefully the walk through the halls to the library will be uneventful.

Hopefully.

With the rash of fae kidnappers around the City, no doubt the wards in the school have been improved.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's Library

"Touched a nasty fae ward while I was out last week. I don't really know the details because a lot of things were happening at once. I don't think it can happen again." he says with a wave of his hand. He likes Lucas, but he's not sure he's ready to admit everything just yet. Just the important parts.

The walk is uneventful, but only because it's the summer. Most of the trouble with Zaff's comes from inside the walls, and without normal classes going on the bullies are mostly either at home or locked in summer school. No trouble on the way in, at least.

18. - Top - End - #1128

Default [Zaff's Library]

Well, that's reassuring. The lad nods at the tale of Isaac's lost magic. Those crazy fae wards, doing crazy things.

Upon reaching the library, Lucas will quietly wave to the librarians. The kid is a regular here, after all. He'll gather up a few useful books, stock them at his favorite table off by itself, and motion for Isaac to join him. Once' he's sure that no one is listening, after nosing through some books for a decent amount of time, Lucas finally reveals his secret.

Sort of.

"Um... so..." he glances around furtively, looking slightly more nervous than usual. "So, I promised we could talk more at school."

A beat.

"You know, here at the library? I could have told you more at the Misty Fen, but you never know who might be listening there. Even through my World Stands Still dreaming," Lucas continues, his tone hushed. "I don't think there are any other fae here, so it should be a safe place to talk. Ask me any question you want and I'll answer the best I can."

Oh.

Huh.

He still isn't breaking character. Not completely, at least.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

[Zaff's Library]

Isaac nods. He'd figured this is how it would go, though he didn't expect Maph's role-play to continue.
    "Why's all this happening? Why now? I figure it's just for the Sidhe to take over so they can move in. And if that's the case, why are you trying to help? Do you just like the place as it is?" he whispers back quietly.

20. - Top - End - #1130

Default [Zaff's Library]

"Well, a few years ago That Day came and all the nasty eldritch things tried to eat the world. But the good guys helped save the day," Lucas explains. "Because they didn't win, they lost a whole lot of points in a... uh... well... in a 'game' we play. Some of the mortals who know about it call it the Eternal Game. There are probably some books on it in the spookier libraries. Because the Primordials lost a bunch of points, the Sidhe started controlling the board. We've been recruiting people and... well... taking people. And now we're in a good position to try for a sweep. But..."

He glances around again nervously, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

"I... umm... please don't hate me I kind of want the sweep to work, too. Because I... I hate seeing people suffer. They way the worlds work outside the Dreamheart is evil. Things suffer and die for petty, stupid reasons. And then they just stop existing forever," Lucas says, his tone becoming ever so slightly more firm.

"When my side wins, the Dreamlands become part of the Dreamheart. And the Waking World becomes a new Dreamlands. And a chunk is taken out of the Empyrean Realms (that's where the Primordials live) to make a new Waking World. Anyone living in the Dreamlands who's Lucid and has their own glade is kind of... umm... insulated from the Dreamheart. They become a new Sidhe. And they can make whatever kind of world they want in their glade and no one has to get hurt. The Dreamheart is pure creative potential. No one has to suffer there. There are lots more Sidhe than just the ones in the Dreamlands like me. Most of them never leave the Dreamheart. Why would they want to? They live in paradise already. But... but there are lots of people who don't. And that's wrong. It isn't fair."

Huh... that's... interesting. But why is Maph conspiring against his fellows, then?

"But if this sweep works, that's not how things will happen," he continues. "We're so far ahead in points right now, most of the Sidhe want to gobble up the Waking World into the Dreamheart at the same time. That would take a huge chunk out of the Empyrean Realms. But most people in the Waking World are Sleepers. They haven't awakened their glades yet. So if they got plunged into the Dreamheart, they would be dissolved by it and recycled as creative energy. They would be spit back out as rocks and trees and other inanimate things for the new Dreamlands. Who they are would be lost forever. And I can't let that happen."

Well.

This sounds like an apocalypse scenario, doesn't it?

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's Library

Isaac listens to Lucas intently. The way he speaks hasn't broken in the slightest. He wonders if this is the whole Sidhe, or merely part of him. He doesn't have nearly the same aura, even if it was halved for being in the real world. But there's so many things going on, that's just part of his thoughts.
    "Okay. But what does this have to do with me. I mean, I know that I'm Lucid now, and I have a little bit of knowledge on how that works. But...surely your plan isn't to just help me spending my summer studying and trying to beef up. I already sent in my information to the school to deal with, what more can I do, really?" he asks the other boy.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Default [Zaff's Library]

Lucas smiles back. "You... you like anime, right? But you don't see it?" he asks.

Then gives a soft laugh.

"That's, hehe, that's kind of funny, you know? Think about it, Isaac. You're an academy student in a magic school. You have incredible magical potential, but you have trouble fully accessing it. You've had lots of run-ins with strange, fantastical, very powerful beings. You've made friends with an ancient Sidhe who wants to help mentor you, but he's kind of quirky and disguises himself as unassuming things. You've learned of an evil, potentially world-ending plot."

Wait...

He couldn't possibly be suggesting...

"You're the Protagonist, Isaac."

All he's missing is ostentatious hair and a signature weapon or spell.

"You're going to save the world."

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's Library

Isaac blinks in surprise, but then scowls. SCOWLS at Maph!
    "No. Nuh-uh. Not a chance. First, I can't stop a Sidhe with shields and really basic attack spells." he insists.
    Well, he's wrong. That was the entire build for the protagonists in all three Mother games. Ness is a tank.
    "Second, I don't have enough time to get on that level in the, what, month before they try their master stroke?"
    Which he would, if he was willing to go to the dreamlands and have Maph try his time trickery.
    "And besides, I get turned into stuff all the time. I got used by clowns for a while. I'm the comic relief at best."
    Well, protagonists can have running gags, Isaac. But whether that's the case or you're right, that doesn't bode well for your future. Eh, you'll be fine.

24. - Top - End - #1134

Default [Zaff's Library]

"There have been protagonists who stood as a shield for their friends. You won't have to do this alone," Lucas replies. "I can help, too. Sidhe can only use a tiny fraction of their power in the Waking World, but I'll do everything I can. I've got my time and sleep enchantments, and my shape shifting, too."

He smiles a rather silly smile.

"I'll be your sword if I have to. It wouldn't be the first time," Lucas laughs. "And I mean that probably more literally than you think. Remember how I made your charm?" he points at the woven bracelet on Isaac's wrist. "I make all the loot for the Random Encounters. Usually I need some real parts to make them great, but I bet with a quest or two, I could make a legendary shield or something for you."

How cool would that be?

Magic shield in one hand, slinging spells with the other?

That sounds like a worthy Protagonist to me.

"Don't worry about getting turned into weird stuff. I b-bet I can teach you how to shrug off metamorph hexes," Lucas offers. "Especially since you can use protective magic really well now!"

Abjurations ARE pretty handy.

"A-and it won't happen soon. But it's coming. Once there's more than one lucid mirage popping up every day, that's when things are getting close," Lucas explains. Then hastily adds. "That's where part of the Dreamlands bleeds over into the Waking World. I can help you train. If you want to train really fast, I have a special room in my glade for that." He smiles a big, toothy grin that looks somewhat out of place on the human face. "Time inside flows more swiftly than it does outside. The air is dense with magic and I have fine control over everything that happens in it. AND it's shaped like a big hour-glass." The grin somehow grows even wider. "Y'know what shape that makes it?"

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's Library

Isaac sighs. "You're really serious about this, aren't you? Well, I guess I can't stop you. I don't know if a shield would be the most portable thing for me to carry around, but I get the idea. To be honest, if you expect me to fight a Sidhe I might feel better about my odds if I had a body like those classmates I mentioned. My new 'twin' would certainly look scarier. But I'll make due with what I have. Not being changed by other people is a good start."
    He raises an eyebrow at the last part.
    "Like, I get what you're referencing but not what you mean."

26. - Top - End - #1136

Default [Zaff's Library]

Lucas pouts. "The joke isn't funny if I have to explain it..."

Poor guy. That what he gets for expecting people to understand math jokes. Why would a critter like Maph'tey bother to learn advanced mathmatics? Because he's old as dirt and you find weird things to do with your time, that's why.

"S-super serious," Lucas insists. "Please d-don't be upset. I know this might all seem really weird. But I'm sure. These sorts of stories have power behind them. And if we're going to prevent the Wild Hunt from taking the whole world, this is what we'll have to do. But it won't just be you and me. We'll need other friends, too. Three or seven or twelve people would be best." Good ol' magic numbers. "Any other Sidhe would be really weakened by the Waking World like I am. And we wouldn't want to confront anyone in the Dreamlands until you're really sure of yourself and have had... I dunno... at least three power awakenings."

Those are always handy to have.

"And I was thinking a little shield. Like a buckler, just a little bigger than your hand. Something that responds to your magic to create super-neat magic shields! Brass is really good for conducting magic. Orichalcum would be best, though. But it would be a lot harder to get some of that. Would have to smash some Shinari artifacts for the real stuff... But, hehe, this is the Nexus, right? It couldn't be too hard to find ruins from the Tower around here," Lucas laughs. "Probably best to start with brass and work out way up... And we'll need to get you trained physically. I can help with that, too. A good old fashioned training montage can work wonders!"

Is...

Is he serious?

About the training montage?

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's Library

Isaac shakes his head. "Okay, I only really understood the bits about stories and the shield, and the Wild Hunt, which I have heard about. And the training montage, which...yeah, that sounds like it would work, assuming you mean literally since you do time stuff all weird." he admits. He really wishes he could participate a bit more at the moment, but most of what Maph just said went totally over his head.

28. - Top - End - #1138

Default [Zaff's Library]

Lucas smiles sheepishly. "Oh, haha! S-sorry, that's all ancient history stuff that might not have existed in your home universe. If it's ever important, I can tell you the story. B-but I think the most important thing is getting us in shape, right? Since that's where we'll have to start for the magical combat classes. If you want to come over to my house, we can do a training montage. With 80s music and everything! We'll be passably fit in now time!"

That doesn't mean buff.

Not in the least.

That just means 'no longer has a Strength penalty.'

Which should hopefully be enough to allow them to pass the physical.

"And... umm..." Lucas pauses, tapping his fingers together again as his sheepish look returns. "B-before we do anything else... I just wanted to ask if... um... if you thought my introduction song at the Misty Fen was cool?"

Lucas desperately wants to be cool.

Most of his classmates consider him a dweeb.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaff's Library

Isaac laughs at that, though he cuts it short when he realizes he's in a library and needs to be quiet.
    "Yeah, it was pretty good. You'd probably be able to do it even better like this, since you know, human vocal chords. Better at singing, worse at bleating. Yeah, we can try your place."
    Isaac kind of wants to know what a Sidhe's alter-ego's place looks like. He also wants to know if newly created hedleykows know how their vocal chords work, or if they just go around alternating between braying and bleating and mooing and talking until all their parts get properly coordinated.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Default [Zaff's ==> Lucas' House]

"Th-thanks!" Lucas says, beaming. He's so glad that Isaac thinks he's cool. "B-but I don't know if I would be confident enough to sing in this shape," he quickly adds. "I would probably sound s-stupid."

Aaww...

Poor kid.

"Okay! We can go to my house and do some training! It'll be f-fun!" Lucas replies brightly. With haste, he'll gather up the books they used and place them on a re-shelving cart, then off they'll go! Thankfully the trip to Lucas' house should be relatively uneventful. A nice little spirited walk where Lucas talks about his favorite video games the whole time. Though... returning home takes a bit longer than expected due to a detour to catch an imaginary oddish with his phone. If asked why he doesn't just catch real pokemon instead, "The real ones seem kind of d-dangerous. And mom won't let me have pets."

Soon enough they'll arrive at a quaint looking little house no more than five blocks from Isaac's own home. Lucas pauses outside and takes a deep breath. "Okay, here we are. It's super important you don't tell my parents about me, they don't know I'm a fetch, okay? And b-before you ask, I wasn't stolen by The Sandman. I... the real me, I mean. The real Lucas. He was taken away by a hagmare when he was just a baby. And when the hagmare made me, I was all sickly and would have died. The Sand Man found out about it, so he rebuilt me with his own wool so I would be better. Which... kind of makes me him? But not really? It's weird."

It is pretty weird.

"Just don't tell me parents? Please? I just know they'll hate me if they find out. You've got to promise."