New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Chaos In Amber IC

"Being royal means trusting your family less than strangers." Markus says, staring into the direction Hector went off. "Do you sometimes think the world would just be a much better place without politics?" The prince asks as he grips the handle of his sheathed blade and leaves off in the direction of Cassandra.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

Shepard's snort of amusement in reply to that seems to be in agreement to at least the last part, if not the first part as well.

After inquiring of a guard, you head to Cassandra's office in the palace. Her aide, on seeing you, adopts a superior and snide attitude that an army officer really ought not adopt towards a superior officer, let alone their Prince, and says, "How may I help you?"

Hector

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assume that you have some plan for your outing with the roc that will build and develop character. If you do, then you can go ahead and post it. If not, we can move ahead to your next encounter.

Syresia

Show
    Still need you decide where to go next.
    BSG PBF record on BGG: 16 - 17.

"For a nice guy, you're kind of a jerk" - Ayane, P4: The Animation

"Stop saving the world and get a hobby" - Seto Kaiba

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

"You may leave us." The prince responds not even looking at the cocky officer.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Syresia nods farewell to Marie as she turns away from the church to head more deeply into the city, leaving the noble section behind. Mostly just mixing with the bustle and feeling the flow of the streets, hearing the sort of things that people talk about as she takes in the pleasant morning. Not wanting to specifically stop anywhere for long, she wanders around the marketplace some, knowing it as a common hub for rumors and idle chatter.

Eventually she starts heading down towards the shadier areas of the town, looking for the restaurant that Hesel suggested, completely disregarding his warning about the danger of the area, confident in her ability to handle herself. She has hopes of finding a bit more of how the down and out feel about the city and its government, and apparently having a good lunch while she was at it.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

The aide interposes himself between you and Cassandra, and says, "Due to the current state of affairs, I'm afraid the General is too busy to see anyone without an appointment."

For her part, Cassandra looked up from the reports she was reading briefly as you entered, but then returned to them immediately thereafter. Right now, she isn't looking at you.

Syresia

Most of the talk in the merchant and residential areas of Amber are focused on the disappearance of Oberon and what it might mean now that all of the children are back in the city. A few people are discussing the rumour of your existence, some of them believing it, some of them not, and some of them even thinking that you're a fake set up by Hector to gain advantage. It seems that convoluted and deceitful politics are par for the course in Amber.

As you head into the seedier areas of Amber, you quickly decide that polling them on their views on the government and city won't go over well. They all view you suspiciously, or appraisingly ... or, often, both. They don't seem inclined to talk, however.

Eventually, as you turn down a narrow street, a large group of them make a move to surround you. They are all well-armed, and it's clear from their demeanor that they're looking for something ... money, if they can get it, or a fight, if they can't. While you know that you have more strength and skill than they do, there are a lot of them and they are better armed than you are. Before you can decide whether to fight, bluff, or run, you hear a voice from behind you.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. You all KNOW how bad it is to block off my way to the bar. It makes me ... cranky."

You turn and see Random standing there, a big grin on his face. The assembled men seem nervous, but one of them replies, "Lord Random! I'm not sure how this is any of your affair."

Random's smile doesn't slip. "Well, it is, in some way, that you don't need to know. So, if you'll be moving along now, we can all forget this ever happened, hmmmm?"

The man stares down Random for a very short time, while Random's smile never leaves his face. Finally, the man shrugs, and moves on, taking all of them with him.

Random turns to you and says, with the same smile on his face, "Lunch?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fair enough, it can wait." He says a bit annoyed and walks back out. A smug grin forms on Markus' face. She can't say I didn't try. He thinks.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2016-02-25 at 02:33 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

The aide seems completely self-satisfied over your retreat. Cassandra doesn't even glance up.

Show
    Markus needs to say where he's going next.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I have absolutely no idea what to do.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

A half hour later finds Hector soaring through the skies above Korvir. He sits astride a magnificent roc, long of length and large of wingspan. Hector can be heard grumbling as the bird flaps its powerful wings to propel them through the sky.

That narrow-minded fool, he bemoans as his bird takes him the way of the Forest of Arden. To survive in this world you must be willing to do whatever you must. Even if that means using others to better yourself, then that is what you must do: just as father taught us for so long. And where would the harm have been in assigning a protection detail to our hitherto unknown sister? Not that she likely needs it, and that simply makes my point even stronger.

The roc, for his part, simply allows the prince to ramble as they dip lower to the treeline. They keep their ears alert for any sign of danger, as well as for the sound of hoofbeats and action. Perhaps Hector can find his friend, the Warden, and have a nice chat. It's been so long since they've seen each other, after all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Really, really sorry for the delay, Daimbert. I just couldn't get into Hector's head as much as I'd wanted. Feel free to say the Warden's out or unavailable if you want to skip to the next part you had planned.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

As you're leaving, you hear the voice of someone who has been loitering in the hallway say, "Given you reputation, I wouldn't have thought you'd be put off that easily."

Turning to look at him, you see a fit, muscular man in a military uniform. He looks like he knows his way around a fight, and is regarding you with amusement, but not really at your expense. He seems familiar to you somehow, but you can't place him.

Hector

As you approach a clearing, you hear the sounds of a fight. Swooping down, you see a detachment of Arden Rangers engaged in battle with what appears to be a griffon. They are doing reasonably well, but probably could use some help.

OOC - Sorry for the delay; I was waiting for Syresia, but when Kyrinthic returns, we can pick up from there.
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2016-03-15 at 03:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

"Put off?" He repeats. "She didn't have time to talk." He says and shrugs. "Who are you anyways?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #132

Planetar

Syresia rolls her eyes, "Dramatic enough for you? I was fine you know. But yes, I was headed to a place not far from here, if you were inclined to join me" she adds, a friendly smile all along.

Immediately taking the lead as she continues more directly to Bloody Bill's, she asks "So, do you visit this end of town often, or are you just following me?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Hector looks askance at the ground, and a grin springs to his lips. The distraction is welcome, and so he takes Huginn into a circling dive, drawing ever closer to the skirmish. He draws Grayswandir and watches the griffon carefully. When the Rangers back away to regroup, Hector takes that time to strike: he leaps off of Huginn's back and hurtles toward the ground, sword aimed precisely to skewer the griffon through the chest.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

The man replies, "Given your reputation, her being 'busy' ought not have stopped you ... if you really wanted to talk to her, that is."

He extends his hand. "Ganelon, leader of Avalon, a rather obscure area out in Shadow recently discovered. I'm here for some military training and possibly to negotiate some trade deals. I, of course, much prefer the former than the latter, but when you run a government you sometimes have to make such sacrifices."

Syresia

Random replies, "I know the area well-enough to see that you're heading to Bloody Andy's, which is where I would have suggested we eat, anyway. It's really about the only decent place around here, to be honest.

"And as for the scene ... well, it lacked a little of my normal panache, but, well, it IS lunch time and I was hungry. You know how that is. And as for the rescue ... well, this way you don't have to get blood on your clothes."

Hector

Your strike is both powerful and accurate, and you deal the griffon a mortal blow. It stumbles back and rears up, and you dodge aside, but before it can make any kind of dying blow the rangers sweep in and finish it off.

The Warden lowers his axe and approaches you. "Nice shot," he comments dryly.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well why don't you come to your own conclusions then?" Markus replies to the first remark. He shakes Ganelon's hand. "Tell me about it." Markus giggles. "All this diplomacy is making me crazy."
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2016-03-25 at 04:45 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #136

Planetar

Syresia Shrugs with a light smile, "I suppose I will appreciate the sentiment and enjoy lunch, but you're buying to make up for following me around". With that she heads towards the restaurant, Remarking along the way, "So, are attacks that common down here, or do I just stick out too much for my own good?"

As they walk, She takes a good look over Random, now that he isnt in court its quite possible she can get a more honest read on him.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"Seemed like you were having a little trouble," he replies with a tone equally desert-like, but also a wry grin. "Not that you needed the help, of course. But you wouldn't begrudge a Prince his ways of relieving stress, would you?"

The grin stays as he cleans Greyswandir on the grass and sheathes it smoothly. Huginn lands on the lowest branch that can support him, staring silently at the scene. "Was that an isolated incident?" he asks, motioning to the griffon's corpse.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

"Well, why don't we get together and do some non-diplomacy diplomacy, by exchanging military stories over drinks?" Ganelon suggests.

Syresia

Random seems genuinely puzzled at your suggestion that he was following you around. "Following? I was just heading to Bloody Andy's for lunch, and as you know this area is on the way. As to the attack, this area is pretty violent and the gangs aren't that indiscriminate. They're smart enough not to mess with the Royal Family, but obviously that hasn't gotten around yet."

You do note that he keeps calling the restaurant "Bloody Andy's", when the tailor called it "Bloody Bill's".

Hector

The Warden just nods and your comment, and then says "These incidents seem to be more common lately. We've always had a little bleed over of strange creatures out of shadow, but we're getting more of them and more variety."

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus nods. "That could be wonderfully relaxing." He replies.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Hector nods. "Do the appearances seem to be concentrated in one area of the forest?

21. - Top - End - #141

Planetar

Syresia shrugs, replying "That was sort of the idea. Get to see how the people act before they know who I am." as they walk, letting the following comment drop, either he really did just happen into her, or he wasn't going to admit to following her, either way it there was no purpose pushing it.

She stops when they come into sight of the building. Taking a long look before continuing inside she comments, "Well, it must have really good food to make up for how it looks". And with that, she walks inside.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

The two of you retire to some quiet corner with a fair amount of alcohol, relating tales of your various military exploits for a while. Finally, Ganelon comments, "I know you get this a lot, but as a military man and a leader myself, I have to ask: what are your plans concerning the throne?'

Hector

The Warden shrugs, "We can't really tell. There aren't a lot of them, so by the time we come across them they might have moved a long way into the Forest. They could be appearing at random, for all we can tell. If more of them keep showing up, we'll get a better idea ... but I'd really rather they stopped showing up."

Syresia

"The food is definitely worth it, " Random says, as he directs you to take a table and heads over to the bar to order. Then he returns to the table with some cups and a bottle of what he refers to as "Bayle's Piss", which he assures you isn't as bad as it sounds.
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2016-04-06 at 05:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus snarks and takes another swig before simply responding "Secret." He gives Ganelon a serious look, assuring him that no more would be said on the subject.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #144

Planetar

Syresia finds a table and sits with her back to the wall while she watches Random order, taking a good look around the place. Definitely not for the feint of heart in any event. Reaching forward to take a cup as Random returns, "I'm sure I've had worse, even if it turns out to be as bad as it sounds".

She takes a conservative sip, and decides its drinkable, she continues, "So what are you out in this part of town for anyhow? It seems awful far out of the way for a good lunch."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Hector scratches his chin in thought. "If anyone asks, you didn't hear this from me," he says. "But I've heard tell of strange creatures out in Shadow, like this one, but some yet more powerful. These are not random occurrences, and seem to be more frequent the further away from the Courts. I fear they may be a symptom of a much larger issue."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

Ganelon shrugs. "Fair enough," he replies. "Can't blame a guy for being curious about THE burning question in Amber right now."

He continues. "Maybe this will interest you more. Before I came here, we had a rather odd situation in Avalon. A dark circle appeared and expanded, and from it came strange creatures, that attacked us at night. We eventually mustered a large force to go in and attack it, and managed to kill the leader, at which point the circle disappeared. But everyone who went into the area of the circle got sick, whether wounded or not. Some of them died.

"I'm not sure if this is happening in other Shadows, but if it is it seems like something that a group of friendly Amberites might want to look into".

Syresia

Random sips his wine and says, "Not a bad one. Sometimes these can be hit or miss, to tell you the truth.

"Anyway, I like to come down here. The food's good, and it's a sharp contrast to the attitude in the palace. At least here, everyone is OPEN about wanting to take advantage of any weakness you might show, while at the palace they tend to smile to your face and then measure you for a dagger when your back is turned. Plus, Marie doesn't like this place, so it serves as both a way to avoid her when she gets preachy, and a way to annoy her when she knows that I come here."

Hector

"If something's running through Shadow, this might be the last place they can actually get to using those methods. From what I understand, it's hard to Shadow shift closer to Amber, so they might be heading there and then getting stuck here. What purpose that would have, I have no idea", the Warden replies.
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2016-04-08 at 05:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Markus listens interested to Ganelon's story. "I have heard something likewise." He replies. "I was hoping, but strongly doubting that it was a one time thing." He then remembered what Shepard said the monster cried as it was killed. "Did it say anything?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Hector nods, remembering half-memories of lectures in the castle. "Would you be able to track this one back the way it entered the Forest?"

29. - Top - End - #149

Planetar

Syresia watches Random, he seems genuine enough, it was just hard to be sure he isnt just a more subtle man than he seemed. "Thats a fair outlook, sometimes an enemy with a sword pointed at you feels less deadly than a politician with a smile".

After a moment she continues, "While I am very curious about just how good the fare here truly is, I am curious what your plans were after lunch? My day appears open after all"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Markus

"It said, just as it died, 'Chaos is coming',", Ganelon replies.

Hector

The Warden shrugs. "Griffons fly, so we're not likely to get an unbroken path. We're trying to track any we find, though. I assume you'll want to be informed if we find any pattern?"

Syresia

Random replies, "The advantage I have over my poor, regimented sister is that I'm no slave to any kind of schedule, or even any kind of plans, most of the time. So I'm at your complete disposal, if there's something that you'd like to see or do this fine afternoon."

OOC - Sorry about the delay in replying. Things were busy over the past couple of days.
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2016-04-17 at 03:19 PM.