New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox In XII: Dance If You Want To

"Oh, I understand what my spells mean," Batu says. "They're composed from a number of recognizable patterns. But I have no idea, well, why speaking them does what it does. Where the words come form. It's weird." He pauses. "And I've never heard of 'space marines' either. Aren't marines simply people who sail on ships?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Maybe. It's- something is gone. Fate has changed."
    Hey! She's not so- okay, Anchor is little, especially compared to Eschelle. But maybe she doesn't like to hear that.
    Instead, she just nods.
    "We would! Do you know of any good someplaces? There's this place in the woods I've been meaning to take a closer look at. If it hasn't fallen into the sea yet..."
    Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Darsy grins and nods a bit.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I haven't gone snooping around places in a while. Should be fun.
    "Why, I haven't a place in mind, but your place sounds as good as any," Eschelle lauds. "I could, perhaps, be persuaded to go back out. I've been paid for none of the violence committed today, and it chafes me worse than these sucking wounds." The ample supply of healing potions she's been slowly swigging have helped immensely as well, even if Eschelle is still a bit fatigued. She is, however, is no stranger to a forced march. "You ladies could help me, perhaps, replace my armor...? It is a trifle tedious alone."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

"No, Space Marines are -" Kuriko says both of them before cutting herself off. She thinks. Does it even matter? Chances are it doesn't at this moment. "Actually, if you've never heard of them, it probably doesn't matter."

She waves her hand dismissively. "They're basically genetically altered humans who fight creatures in space." Maybe they've heard of them but not by that name? That's likely. Happens a lot.

She kind-of wants to say 'They don't really matter right now' to change the subject of the conversation back to whatever-it-is-supposed-to-be, but she can't think of a good way to phrase it. So, Kuriko takes the easy way out: "Oh. My name's Kuriko." She realized she hasn't said it. She doesn't know their names, either, but they know each other's names so that's cool.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Well if you're looking to get paid for it, this is probably not the place."
    She would turn her pocket inside out to indicate, but there's lots of non-monetary things stored in there.
    "But maybe we'll turn up something interesting."

Anchor nods and gets up to help with the armor. That shouldn't be a problem. How hard could it be?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #875
    Barbarian in the Playground

Orion wrinkles his nose a bit.

Wouldn't genetically altered humans in space just be...

Humans?

That are genetically altered?

Glow in the dark fish are still considered the same species fish. Maybe the difference is that they don't fight aliens in space?

Heh.

Now Orion is imagining glow-in-the-dark guppies doing battle with Klingons.

"Hah, well, nice to meet you Kuriko. I'm Orion. I'm a bit, ah, new to this place. As I'm sure you can probably tell. I've been told it has a habit of grabbing people for no discernible reason."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm Batu," the hobgoblin says, forgoing the rest of the introduction this time. "And yes, I've been bringing Orion up to speed on how things work, as best I can."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #877

Kuriko nods, understanding. "That's good," she says to Batu: bringing people up to speed is a very important task. Then, to Orion she says, "So he's explained where we are, why we're here, and the general politics of the area?" As an offhand comment, she predicts: "Chances are you're going to learn magic and be a superhero by the end of the week." That's usually how it works out, right?

Oh! But then Kuriko remembers. "Oh! Right. I haven't ordered anything yet. I should go back to my seat. Bye-bye." She stands up straight and stretches.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #878

"I, wait, what? Super hero?" Orion replies, more than a little puzzled. "I haven't learned anything about the politics yet. Or the hows and whys of being here. It sounded like it was a random process to me."

Oh, but it isn't.

The Nexus chooses.

Though no one really knows how.

That sure would be a question to answer, wouldn't it?

Regardless!

Orion turns back to Batu. "What did she mean by super powers? Does this place really dump super-hero origin stories on people like a poorly thought out comic book?"

Yes.

The answer is yes.

9. - Top - End - #879

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "Why, I haven't a place in mind, but your place sounds as good as any," Eschelle lauds. "I could, perhaps, be persuaded to go back out. I've been paid for none of the violence committed today, and it chafes me worse than these sucking wounds." The ample supply of healing potions she's been slowly swigging have helped immensely as well, even if Eschelle is still a bit fatigued. She is, however, is no stranger to a forced march. "You ladies could help me, perhaps, replace my armor...? It is a trifle tedious alone."
    She would turn her pocket inside out to indicate, but there's lots of non-monetary things stored in there.

Anchor nods and gets up to help with the armor. That shouldn't be a problem. How hard could it be?
    While being paid would be nice, Darsy was in it more for the experience. And the chance to fight things. She liked doing that.

She will also help Eschelle with her armor. Not as eagerly as if she were removing it, though.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    Kuriko nods, understanding. "That's good," she says to Batu: bringing people up to speed is a very important task. Then, to Orion she says, "So he's explained where we are, why we're here, and the general politics of the area?" As an offhand comment, she predicts: "Chances are you're going to learn magic and be a superhero by the end of the week." That's usually how it works out, right?

Oh! But then Kuriko remembers. "Oh! Right. I haven't ordered anything yet. I should go back to my seat. Bye-bye." She stands up straight and stretches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    "I, wait, what? Super hero?" Orion replies, more than a little puzzled. "I haven't learned anything about the politics yet. Or the hows and whys of being here. It sounded like it was a random process to me."

Oh, but it isn't.

The Nexus chooses.

Though no one really knows how.

That sure would be a question to answer, wouldn't it?

Regardless!

Orion turns back to Batu. "What did she mean by super powers? Does this place really dump super-hero origin stories on people like a poorly thought out comic book?"

Yes.

The answer is yes.
    "I don't really know about comic books, but people acquiring powers in a more or less random manner isn't an uncommon thing in these parts," Batu says with a nod. "As far as politics, I don't really know about those. I keep my head down."

11. - Top - End - #881

While being paid would be nice, Darsy was in it more for the experience. And the chance to fight things. She liked doing that.

She will also help Eschelle with her armor. Not as eagerly as if she were removing it, though.

"I'm always looking to get paid, but being in the company of good women will pay the night's wages, I think,"
    Eschelle muses, standing so that they might get her properly dressed for a battle. First the gauntlets, strapped tight by each of the girls, then the plates for her body, the pauldrons and extra steel... soon, the woman is a glistening titan again. There is fatigue in her stance, in the way she holds herself with bent knees and a back that slumps by mere degrees, but still she seems ready for the road. "I have a carriage. My squire-boy will drive us wherever it is we're going."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

12. - Top - End - #882

"They're books, usually short individually. With a heavy focus on illustration rather than just text. They typically tell stories that are fantastical," Orion replies. If they're sharing information, why not do a little himself? Reciprocating knowledge seems like the right thing to do. Even if the knowledge he can share probably isn't nearly as useful at what Batu is giving him. "Often times super heroes are just normal people at the beginning of the story. Something typically happens to them that causes them to gain uncanny or amazing abilities. Often times some kind of accident."

Often an accident involving radioactivity.

"Though I suppose some comic book characters were just always super. But I've always been more partial to Marvel over DC," Orion muses. Then waves a hand dismissively. "Two different companies that publish these books."

Recounting this stuff aloud with the knowledge that something similar might happen to him in the near future is just... surreal.

"So... should I more or less expect that something odd will happen to me? Or should I just try to find a job at a local museum and try to keep my head down, too?"

Or go to wizard school!

That could be neat.

If he's even capable of doing such things.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds interesting. I'll try reading some of those," Batu says earnestly, then tilts his head. "Well... maybe. Some people live here without many weird things happening to him. And I suppose it depends on how we define 'weird', anyway." He grimaces momentarily. "Getting a job at a museum sounds like a plan. Unless you want weird things."

14. - Top - End - #884

Orion frowns at that question.

"I... well. I don't know. On the one hand, it would be interesting to learn a bit more about what this place has to offer. If this place is anything like the typical fantasy universe, then that means there are no doubt ancient ruins filled with artifacts of ages past. The sort of stuff I would really enjoy having the chance to study. On the other hand, places like that are usually filled with monsters. And I'm really in no place to be fighting animated skeletons or dragons or goblins or what have you. I would probably get stabbed to death or eaten or worse."

Like getting turned into a toadstool.

That would be pretty bad.

"But if I had some way to defend myself, then maybe I could actually check out some places like that for myself? I can't help but imagine archeology here is more like Indiana Jones and less like... well... actual archeology."

Lots of 'digging' with fine brushes.

Very little running from giant boulders.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

"Now, goblins aren't very nice, but they're not monsters," Batu says. "Besides... the people back home always said they're runty, untrustworthy, sneaky scavengers, but they also said most of this stuff about me, especially before kicking me out." He paused, realizing that he had rambled. "But anyway, yes, there is a lot of places to explore. I've never felt like it. Maybe once my sorcery is advanced enough to actually be useful in such a venture."

16. - Top - End - #886

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend," Orion quickly replies. "I think we're probably talking about completely different things, though. A goblin is a type of fae. Usually shape-shifting tricksters that play mean pranks on travelers. Spirits that can be neutrally benevolent or malevolent, depending on what mood strikes them. Nearly all lines of folklore describe creatures like that, though the exact details differ from one people group to another. As far as I can tell, you're just a person with a few facial features different from a human. That sort of thing seems pretty trivial to me."

Guess Orion isn't the sort to get hung up on race.

"Well, regardless... your sorcery. You can cool of cups of tea. Are all of the spells you know more or less on that tier?" Orion asks. "And I would imagine there are other people who know more advanced tricks? Tossing around fireballs and lightning and the like?"

Or calling down rain storms.

Or raising up trents.

Or transforming frogs into toads.

All sorts of amazing things.

17. - Top - End - #887

"I'm always looking to get paid, but being in the company of good women will pay the night's wages, I think,"
    Eschelle muses, standing so that they might get her properly dressed for a battle. First the gauntlets, strapped tight by each of the girls, then the plates for her body, the pauldrons and extra steel... soon, the woman is a glistening titan again. There is fatigue in her stance, in the way she holds herself with bent knees and a back that slumps by mere degrees, but still she seems ready for the road. "I have a carriage. My squire-boy will drive us wherever it is we're going."
    Anchor smiles and gives a little nod once Eschelle is properly covered in steel again. All of her own weariness seems to have evaporated; there's a spring in her step as she heads outside. Must be the potion to credit for that.
    "Actually, I-yeah, that'll be okay. I'll tell him the way."
    Her two-headed eel-horse will appreciate the rest.

She provides the squire-boy with instructions before getting into the carriage. Head down to the shore, turn left, and straight on till the treeline.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend," Orion quickly replies. "I think we're probably talking about completely different things, though. A goblin is a type of fae. Usually shape-shifting tricksters that play mean pranks on travelers. Spirits that can be neutrally benevolent or malevolent, depending on what mood strikes them. Nearly all lines of folklore describe creatures like that, though the exact details differ from one people group to another. As far as I can tell, you're just a person with a few facial features different from a human. That sort of thing seems pretty trivial to me."

Guess Orion isn't the sort to get hung up on race.

"Well, regardless... your sorcery. You can cool of cups of tea. Are all of the spells you know more or less on that tier?" Orion asks. "And I would imagine there are other people who know more advanced tricks? Tossing around fireballs and lightning and the like?"

Or calling down rain storms.

Or raising up trents.

Or transforming frogs into toads.

All sorts of amazing things.
    "No, I can do more serious spells too," Batu says, deciding to drop the racial line of discussion as well. He doesn't know that much about goblins, or orcs. "I just don't usually prepare them when I just hang around somewhere. Of course, there are people with far more power around here."

19. - Top - End - #889

"Prepare them?" Orion asks curiously, though an answer quickly occurs to him. "Oh! Like in Dying Earth! You have to prepare your spells ahead of time and then use them later, right?"

Now Orion is excited again! Another literature parallel.

Before Batu asks, Orion clarifies. "It's a book. A fantasy novel, specifically. There are all sorts of ideas about how magic ought to work in fantasy, mostly because magic doesn't work where I come from. Since there's no basis in reality, people make up whatever they like for their setting."

Yay for magic!

"This might be a needlessly technical question, but do you know where the energy comes from for the spell? Or is conservation of energy not really an issue around here?"

He has no idea!

But if he does have an idea, it might be easier to predict how other things might work.

Of course, given how wide ranging laws of physics in the Nexus are...

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Batu tilts his head.

"I don't know if I'd call it energy. It's more like... potential? I take the potential of what could be, and make it happen. Technically, potentially, a cup of hot tea could suddenly turn cold. But it won't, because laws of reality don't work this way. I make them work this way for a brief time."

21. - Top - End - #891

Orion considers that for a moment. Certainly an interesting way of describing things in the very least.

"That sounds almost like altering probability," he muses. "There's a very smell, though finite, chance that a cup of tea could instantly become cold. But the chance is so vanishingly tiny that it wouldn't normally happen. But not all magic works like that, right? You said there's all kinds. Just like there are all kinds of different rules this place works under."

He gives a shake of his head and laughs.

"This has GOT to give scientists here head aches. How would you know which set of rules you're working with?"

Those poor, silly scientists.

"Is there somewhere I should go when I leave here?" Orion asks. "Somewhere for people who have been recently dumped here to get back on their feet? If this sort of thing happens regularly, then I have to imagine there must be some kind of support system for newcomers so they don't just starve or get eaten by giant killer moles or what have you."

Giant killer moles are the worst.

22. - Top - End - #892

And so!
    Kuriko returns to her table.
    She orders celebratory food and eats it when she gets it.'
    She is happy.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #893

"Is there somewhere I should go when I leave here?" Orion asks. "Somewhere for people who have been recently dumped here to get back on their feet? If this sort of thing happens regularly, then I have to imagine there must be some kind of support system for newcomers so they don't just starve or get eaten by giant killer moles or what have you."
    A laugh track plays in the background.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Orion considers that for a moment. Certainly an interesting way of describing things in the very least.

"That sounds almost like altering probability," he muses. "There's a very smell, though finite, chance that a cup of tea could instantly become cold. But the chance is so vanishingly tiny that it wouldn't normally happen. But not all magic works like that, right? You said there's all kinds. Just like there are all kinds of different rules this place works under."

He gives a shake of his head and laughs.

"This has GOT to give scientists here head aches. How would you know which set of rules you're working with?"

Those poor, silly scientists.

Giant killer moles are the worst.
    "I've never really met anyone who called themselves a scientist," Batu admits. "And I don't know, really. I came here with my whole former tribe. And when I was banished, I made my way towards a place I'd heard a sorceress lives. I'm living in a magic college now, enrolled by another magician. I've heard there's a place called Good League of Good that does charity, but our shamans got really spooked about it."

25. - Top - End - #895

Orion glances about the room when the canned laughter plays. Narrows his eyes at that suspicious looking potted fern in the corner.

Okay.

That was pretty weird.

"Eerr... the good league of good. Okay. That sounds... well. Better than any of the other options I have at the moment. Which are none," Orion sighs. "Thanks for the information, Batu. You've made this all feel... well, like something I can actually process instead of a giant mess of insanity. Thanks for being willing to talk with me."

Indeed!

Having a good first impression of the Nexus is always nice.

Certainly beats getting dumped face-first into a Red Zone and beset upon by alien mutant zombie robots.

Those are the worst.

26. - Top - End - #896

Anchor smiles and gives a little nod once Eschelle is properly covered in steel again. All of her own weariness seems to have evaporated; there's a spring in her step as she heads outside. Must be the potion to credit for that.
    "Actually, I-yeah, that'll be okay. I'll tell him the way."
    Her two-headed eel-horse will appreciate the rest.

She provides the squire-boy with instructions before getting into the carriage. Head down to the shore, turn left, and straight on till the treeline.
    And so they go. The boy is young, rather handsome, and seemingly very talented, for their ride is a smooth one.

Onward to Outside?

(One of you two (Rec again, perhaps?) can post for their arrival)

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Orion glances about the room when the canned laughter plays. Narrows his eyes at that suspicious looking potted fern in the corner.

Okay.

That was pretty weird.

"Eerr... the good league of good. Okay. That sounds... well. Better than any of the other options I have at the moment. Which are none," Orion sighs. "Thanks for the information, Batu. You've made this all feel... well, like something I can actually process instead of a giant mess of insanity. Thanks for being willing to talk with me."

Indeed!

Having a good first impression of the Nexus is always nice.

Certainly beats getting dumped face-first into a Red Zone and beset upon by alien mutant zombie robots.

Those are the worst.
    "Oh, it's no problem, really. I, uh, don't get to talk to people that often," Batu admits awkwardly. "I've never been good at it. At least it's easier now I'm here than back in my tribe."

28. - Top - End - #898

"I wish you well in your studies," Orion says with a smile. "I'm sure you'll make a great wizard some day."

His gaze briefly drifts to the door.

"I'm going to try heading through there again. Hopefully I'll have a bit more luck than walking in."

That said?

He gets up and walks out the door-

-only to step in a small puddle of water just beyond the threshold and promptly vanish.

Whoops!

He probably wasn't trying to do that.

29. - Top - End - #899

And so they go. The boy is young, rather handsome, and seemingly very talented, for their ride is a smooth one.

Onward to Outside?

(One of you two (Rec again, perhaps?) can post for their arrival)
    Onward to Random
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #900

And in walks a man!

He's tall. Like. 7 foot somethin'. His hair is black, slicked back, and he's got this confident half-grin plastered on his face. His eyes are red, and his skin very pale. Hasn't that been seen before? Hmmm.
    He's also wearing a very expensive looking, custom-tailored black suit. He's also stupidly attractive. And unarmed. And the light from around the door seems to want to try to avoid him.

Anyway, he gently closes the door behind him, and saunters on up to the bar, before brushing off the stool, and taking a seat.
    "Good evening. May I get something to drink, please?" He says to Mist, smiling a very revealing smile. The man is definitely a vampire.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.