New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Steven 2niverse: Made of Love

The Gems are not just sentient polymorphic minerals.

They are magic sentient polymorphic minerals.

So, as for how they produce energy, repeat after me: A wizard did it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Just be be clear, I wasn't trying to say 'this is ridiculous, I no longer enjoy this', I just wanted to figure out how tall an ocean-tower would actually be. I've got no problem with the episode or the show, probably for the 'it's not hard-sci-fi' reason.
    Oh, I get it. I think I'm pretty much the same way-- I'll watch a scene and think "I'm no expert but this does not seem scientifically sound! ...Oh well!"

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Though, I must admit, whenever I think about that episode, I do start coming up with weird questions. Like, did any other authorities notice the ocean going missing? Did Lapis take the fresh water too, or just the oceans? And what about the sea life? That pillar's definitely got some weird pressures, what'd happen to all the fishies that suddenly ended up in the wrong pressure zone? What about all the immobile creatures that suddenly came up high and dry, like coral and anemones? Can whales and other air-breathers poke out of the pillar enough to breathe? And when the pillar collapsed, wouldn't there have been a biblical-scale tidal wave? The collapse didn't look exactly controlled, so did all the sea life just get randomly redistributed?
    Well, I'm not sure about the rest, though I'm pretty sure that we saw Greg's van drive past some coral. I'd have to rewatch the episode to be sure.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

One more day.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    True, though I think Pearl's issue might be somewhat different. To me it seems like when Pearl has something that would make her happy nearly within her grasp, she pursues it so single-mindedly that she forgets that other people/Gems might get hurt in the process.
    She can be like that, yes, but, and here's the but, Pearl wasn't trying to get into space merely because it was something that would make her happy. See, Rose Quartz was pretty much the only reason Pearl stayed to fight for the Earth, not for some ideological or moral reason but because she loved Rose. With Rose dead, there was little tying Pearl to Earth. By taking Steven, she'd be taking that little piece of Rose with her.
    Of course, her and Lapis situation are not identical, but my core point stands, desperate people do desperate things. As as an aside, 'Space Race' was the first episode that made me realize this was more than just a quirky show with quirky characters and actually had some deep gut feels and themes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The Gems are not just sentient polymorphic minerals.

They are magic sentient polymorphic minerals.

So, as for how they produce energy, repeat after me: A wizard did it.
    I can assure you that it wasn't me. I had a Bridge tournament that night, and I hate sending in clones to sub for me. They can never remember the auction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

To sum up:

Connie needs a sword because Steven is too weak and inattentive to actually use his heirloom weapon and because her doctor mother is too much of an idiot to understand basic human anatomy.

There. I just saved you eleven of the most horribly written and off model minutes of animation. And I don't mean "so stupid it's funny" or "off model to make a wacky pose". I mean "they need to justify an eleven year old with no powers and two weeks training going into live combat and can't be bothered to look up their own reference material doing it".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

I am just glad
    Spoiler: New Episode Spoiler
    Show
    Connie's not lying to her mother any more. That always naggled.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I am just glad
    Spoiler: New Episode Spoiler
    Show
    Connie's not lying to her mother any more. That always naggled.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, though it does make sense in character for why she would be worried about it. I mean they determine how grounded she is through an abacus, they're kind of hard asses.

Anyway, this was a really good episode. Glad the show's back, nice actiony way to get us back into things.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I really hope there's a reason Dr. Maheswaran didn't realize that those things weren't remotely human. Like, Percy Jackson Mist level reasoning. Because that's the only real flaw I can find.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, though it does make sense in character for why she would be worried about it. I mean they determine how grounded she is through an abacus, they're kind of hard asses.

Anyway, this was a really good episode. Glad the show's back, nice actiony way to get us back into things.
    True,
    Spoiler
    Show
    it did make sense, but it's never a pleasant thing to keep things from ones parents. I had to not tell my bio-dad my mum and us kids were leaving him unannounced, and it was the longest week of my life.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

The one gripe I have (along with some others here it seems) is the whole "how did they not realize they weren't human" thing (the one explanation I could possibly give that would make any sense is that perhaps horrific mutants are something that happens once in a blue moon to humans due to gemtech?), aside from that I really liked this one and am wondering what bug crawled up Jayng's butt tonight.

12. - Top - End - #192

Spoiler
    Show
    So, did anybody else catch the dragon ball reference?

Apparently the Hospital has a Dr. Gero on staff.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    The one gripe I have (along with some others here it seems) is the whole "how did they not realize they weren't human" thing (the one explanation I could possibly give that would make any sense is that perhaps horrific mutants are something that happens once in a blue moon to humans due to gemtech?), aside from that I really liked this one and am wondering what bug crawled up Jayng's butt tonight.
    Well, they're doctors. Human doctors, and human doctors see some *really* weird stuff. Also, Steven Universe has never been to a hospital and it's very doubtful the other Gems have either. If you were a doctor with no knowledge of Crystal Gems, would your first thought be . . .
    ]
    . . . or "Something *really* weird but human, somehow. After all, while it's hardly human, it still resembles a human more than anything else in a human doctor's (with no real knowledge of crystal gems) conceptual space.

14. - Top - End - #194

True,
    Spoiler
    Show
    it did make sense, but it's never a pleasant thing to keep things from ones parents. I had to not tell my bio-dad my mum and us kids were leaving him unannounced, and it was the longest week of my life.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really hope there's a reason Dr. Maheswaran didn't realize that those things weren't remotely human. Like, Percy Jackson Mist level reasoning. Because that's the only real flaw I can find.
    Like Ravens Cry said, doctors see some weird ass stuff. Also consider the line about
    Spoiler
    Show
    "cheap hospital budgets" as she throws out the stethiscope
    . She probably just thought this was some incredibly weird mutation and that her equipment was just crap. I mean have you seen people who've been affected by AGent Orange while young? I'm getting nightmares just thinking about it.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

I really liked this one and am wondering what bug crawled up Jayng's butt tonight.
    I don't see it as anything out of the ordinary, given his feelings about Steven's character and the general plot/direction that the show is going.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

On another note, I just realized Ronaldo looks kind of like the Ancient Aliens guy: big, poofy curly hair with closer cropped sides.
    COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2015-09-10 at 11:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Still, there comes a point where your (alive) patient has nothing but arms for extremities that you have to consider that they're not actually human, at least the other one had a vaguely humanoid shape with the cluster acting as a sort of face.

It also speaks to the apparent realism the bodies gems create that they felt like actual skin as opposed to... whatever hard light in fiction is supposed to feel like.

18. - Top - End - #198

On another note, I just realized Ronaldo looks kind of like the Ancient Aliens guy: big, poofy curly hair with closer cropped sides.
    COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!!!!!!
    That's actually kind of ingenious thanks for bringing that up.

Still, there comes a point where your (alive) patient has nothing but arms for extremities that you have to consider that they're not actually human, at least the other one had a vaguely humanoid shape with the cluster acting as a sort of face.

It also speaks to the apparent realism the bodies gems create that they felt like actual skin as opposed to... whatever hard light in fiction is supposed to feel like.
    Connie's Mom needs to watch some Scrubs because she definitely seems like the "no patient is beyond saving" type, considering what she was dealing with.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

It still has more human features than anything else on Earth within a typical human doctor's conceptual space.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2015-09-11 at 12:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

It still has more human features than anything else on Earth within a typical human doctor's conceptual space.
    Other than a human?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #201

Other than a human?
    I'll be honest, based on stuff I've heard and read about, there have been cases that actually make "mass of tumur like growths and arms" is tame in comparison. There are people who've gone to the hospital as essentially bags of meat. Also keep in mind that Gem stuff has been on earth for a long time which just increases the level of weird **** that can happen in the OR, and you realize that Dr Mom isn't super unrealistic here.

22. - Top - End - #202

I would think not having a head would be one of those signs that it's not human.

I would assume the same about an embedded gem.

So, do you think that these are clusters that escaped the kindergarten, the "early"ones Peridot was talking about, or do you think Peridot took a few of the more stable clusters with her in case she needed them, and one or too of them got lose?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would think not having a head would be one of those signs that it's not human.

I would assume the same about an embedded gem.

So, do you think that these are clusters that escaped the kindergarten, the "early"ones Peridot was talking about, or do you think Peridot took a few of the more stable clusters with her in case she needed them, and one or too of them got lose?
    There was a lump where the head could go, and similar growths exist in real life. Not sure about over the face, or if it has they would have suffocated, but both that and the embedded gem can be filed under "gem tech has created even weirder medical issues."

Anyways, whatever other problems this episode may have, I like seeing Steven and Connie fight together.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Other than a human?
    Yes, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'll be honest, based on stuff I've heard and read about, there have been cases that actually make "mass of tumur like growths and arms" is tame in comparison. There are people who've gone to the hospital as essentially bags of meat. Also keep in mind that Gem stuff has been on earth for a long time which just increases the level of weird **** that can happen in the OR, and you realize that Dr Mom isn't super unrealistic here.
    I' admit, Doctor Mom, unlike the other doctor mentioned (what happened to them by the way?!) has met Crystal Gems before. On the gripping hand, she has such a rigid personality, she'd probably dismiss it even so.

25. - Top - End - #205

the one with multiple arms did not have a head, and for same reason was classified as the victim of a car accident.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

the one with multiple arms did not have a head, and for same reason was classified as the victim of a car accident.
    Maybe it *was*, the reason it got admitted was perhaps because a car hit it, dazing it long enough to be brought in.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nightmare Hospital, OR Your Daughter is a Magical Girl; here's how to help.

I'm of two minds regarding this episode.

The first part says that Mrs. Mahayschwaran is... well, incompetent may be a bit strong, but has the right feeling behind it. Even if yoiur hospital has problems securing reliable equipment, when the instruments give a reading that seems to be flawed, you should probably be testing the equipment instead of throwing out the data. Wouldn't even be that hard; push the stethoscope against your own wrist, check for pulse. If there's a pulse in your own wrist, and not in theirs, presumably it's not the stethoscope.

However, I'm glad that they moved to resolve the issue with Connie and her parents. Lying to your parents, even for good reasons, sits ill with me. This is, perhaps, because I come from a family similar to theirs, at least in the controlling aspect. Hearing her mother boast about how she was involved in every aspect of Connie's life, how she looked at her schedule, her internet, her everything... Kinda gave me a twinge of empathy, because my parents were like that. Toned down, of course; they weren't quite as controlling as Connie's, but there were still times when I felt like I couldn't talk to my parents about things because I knew they wouldn't approve or understand. Hell, there are still things like that.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

28. - Top - End - #208

So, I'm gonna ask again, did anybody else notice that the Hospital has a "Dr. Gero" treating "Patient 20?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #209

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Nightmare Hospital and Horror conventions
    Show
    Well, you know, it's not a horror story without underpopulated hospitals where doctors are alone and underreacting to the presence of monsters that they think are merely incredibly mangled humans who need intensive and immediate surgical intervention to keep from dying.

That's how Patient 0s are supposed to even work in zomibe conventions.

So it all makes sense if you consider that this is the most Silent Hill that SU will overtly get and view it through the understanding that it's a horror episode that ends up having humans being the real slashers.

So, I'm gonna ask again, did anybody else notice that the Hospital has a "Dr. Gero" treating "Patient 20?"
    That's neat, but I missed it. Thanks for the catch.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-09-11 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

You'll have to explain that one to me.