New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh yeah doh!, got that mixed a touch up. Of course its possible in theory for everyone but 1 to pass.
    Well, in theory, but on average half will drop out. Which means 50 people. If nobody in UA drops out, I'm going to go from irritated to annoyed. Of course it's fine to have your main characters pass, but if everybody gets the main character bonus we'll soon move towards FT levels of plot armor.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Holy double post, All Might! How am I first to comment?
    Spoiler
    Show

Though, not much to say. More backstory on..wind guyaand kind of todoroki. I'm not sure I entirely follow his internal flashback... Why would he need to remember wind guy?
    And in the end... COMBO ATTACK! So much for no compatibility, wind and fire...
    "What's done is done."

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well sometimes I comment just before a comic updates, and then lurk on the forums waiting for someone else to post so I don't double post. Should be fine once in a while.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hell yeah combination jutsu technique. Fanning the flames as it were.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Holy double post, All Might! How am I first to comment?
    Spoiler
    Show

Though, not much to say. More backstory on..wind guyaand kind of todoroki. I'm not sure I entirely follow his internal flashback... Why would he need to remember wind guy?
    And in the end... COMBO ATTACK! So much for no compatibility, wind and fire...
    I was getting owned by Fire Emblem and my own idiocy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyway, the reason why it's "important to remember the wind guy" in Todoroki's mind is because...it's one of the consequences of his awful behavior. He's trying to be better, but the fact that he forgot he was such an ass makes him feel really bad. So now he feels like crap. Especially since he's definitely failed this exam now, and Gang Orca kinda beat his face in a little. Their combination attack will serve to distract him quite well, but I don't think this'll let them pass.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

I think calling Todoriki an ass there is overstating it a little. He were perhaps a touch rude, but Wind guy should have learned to tell when he were being loud and obnoxious long before.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I was getting owned by Fire Emblem and my own idiocy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyway, the reason why it's "important to remember the wind guy" in Todoroki's mind is because...it's one of the consequences of his awful behavior. He's trying to be better, but the fact that he forgot he was such an ass makes him feel really bad. So now he feels like crap. Especially since he's definitely failed this exam now, and Gang Orca kinda beat his face in a little. Their combination attack will serve to distract him quite well, but I don't think this'll let them pass.
    Ah, see, there was something I wanted to catch up on given time...

Spoiler
    Show

But... are you expected to remember random people you met like once and exchanged ten words with? Okay, maybe he is a little more what with beating Todoroki in that race but... I'm sure I would have totally forgotten him.

As I said, I'd like to see them not pass (no offense) but I feel they will.

I think calling Todoriki an ass there is overstating it a little. He were perhaps a touch rude, but Wind guy should have learned to tell when he were being loud and obnoxious long before.
    I don't see how Todoroki was any better than wind dude in this situation. If one was out of line, so was the other. "ass" may be a bit harsh, depending on how much of an insult you consider it.
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see how Todoroki was any better than wind dude in this situation. If one was out of line, so was the other. "ass" may be a bit harsh, depending on how much of an insult you consider it.
    That were kinda also the point, about neither really were much better than the other. And it then being kinda unfair to either call one of them out on it, or for that matter carry a grudge over it for ½ a year.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Vigilante

Spoiler
    Show
    Eraser cameo! So Knuckle Duster is indeed quirkless. I'm not that surprised, since he never showed anything remotely resembling a quirk. He does give me a kind of Punisher vibe, except without guns and the killing of course. Harassing people who haven't committed a crime yet? Not exactly righteous behavior. Though props to him for being tough enough to 1v1 Eraser even if just for a bit. I'm guessing the pilot is done and they'll make it into a full series, which I'm looking forward to.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

9. - Top - End - #729

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Vigilante

Spoiler
    Show
    Eraser cameo! So Knuckle Duster is indeed quirkless. I'm not that surprised, since he never showed anything remotely resembling a quirk. He does give me a kind of Punisher vibe, except without guns and the killing of course. Harassing people who haven't committed a crime yet? Not exactly righteous behavior. Though props to him for being tough enough to 1v1 Eraser even if just for a bit. I'm guessing the pilot is done and they'll make it into a full series, which I'm looking forward to.
    Yeah, this was all just prep work. Introduce the characters and the setting, then push forward into Jump+ to be a right and proper monthly series.

Anyway, the chapter itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Really ****ing good holy crap. Knuckle Duster is just a punch grandpa and I love it. No quirk, just ballsy attitudes. Gentle-man realizes that his power is to Glide on ANY surface, and uses it to save Pop*Fly!...by serving as Bounce board. Damnit Pop*Fly. Luckily Gentle-man survives by ricocheting himself off the giant businessman's hand into a garbage pile, which is actually really damn clever.

At the end of the day, friendships are quasi formed, and our "heroes" ride off into the night.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I found it a bit silly though, that the lack of a quirk were enough to make Eraserhead forget the whole thing. If grandpa who is harassing and threatening random civilians got a quirk that enhances his toughness then he will be arrested. But no, his toughness does not come from a quirk (though he is still as tough as he is), oh well, sorry to bother you, please continue beating up whoever you like with your giant metal covered hands..
    Really..?

11. - Top - End - #731

Spoiler
    Show

I found it a bit silly though, that the lack of a quirk were enough to make Eraserhead forget the whole thing. If grandpa who is harassing and threatening random civilians got a quirk that enhances his toughness then he will be arrested. But no, his toughness does not come from a quirk (though he is still as tough as he is), oh well, sorry to bother you, please continue beating up whoever you like with your giant metal covered hands..
    Really..?
    Spoiler
    Show
    He hasn't ACTUALLY done anything. He's shouting and being a NUISANCE and bothering people, but being annoying isn't a crime, just rude. If it gets any WORSE he'd have to step in, especially if he used those knuckle dusters of his. Now, let's be fair, some of this mentality is because it's ERASER HEAD doing it. Do you think Endeavor would let this guy go? No. But Eraserhead's got better **** to do, like "not this". Long as the dude keeps himself within the law he's fine. Not using powers in public because he doesn't have any powers: that's fair. Dressing up like a costumed dude because you want to, and carrying around brass knuckles? That's...edgy, but fine, brass knuckles are legal. Just don't go swinging em around.

Also, I feel like the feeling you're having is the point. This is why we might NEED vigilantes. Knuckle Grandpa is clearly up to no good, but after investigating him they've found no wrong doing, he's just an old man with some metal strapped to his fists. That's not illegal, just stupid. If only there was some kind of shadow hero to stop this clearly up to no good grandpa, outside of the law...

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Really..?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's actually a good point. I wonder if Heroes are actually limited by law to only quirk-related crimes. After he realizes the old man is quirkless he is about to inform the police, but is interrupted by spiky guy and his boys appearing. Then I guess he chooses to turn a blind eye due to Knuckle Duster helping out. The overall tone of their parting talk makes me think if he catches Knuckle Duster next time he might follow through with calling the cops.

I suppose that Heroes in this setting exist to counter Villains (Quirk police?) and maybe some rescue work on the side, and they're not expected to carry out general crime fighting activities, which falls to existing law enforcement bodies. Still, that would be an inconvenient technicality, as you noted.

Ugh. I just realized that the giant drug dealer was playing with the people (and one car!) in his grasp like toys. Creepy.

And is it me or is Knuckle Duster drawn...a little differently. He looks like he could be from a western comic book, similar to All Might's powered form. I think it's the jaw, and his pupil-less eyes.

13. - Top - End - #733

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's actually a good point. I wonder if Heroes are actually limited by law to only quirk-related crimes. After he realizes the old man is quirkless he is about to inform the police, but is interrupted by spiky guy and his boys appearing. Then I guess he chooses to turn a blind eye due to Knuckle Duster helping out. The overall tone of their parting talk makes me think if he catches Knuckle Duster next time he might follow through with calling the cops.

I suppose that Heroes in this setting exist to counter Villains (Quirk police?) and maybe some rescue work on the side, and they're not expected to carry out general crime fighting activities, which falls to existing law enforcement bodies. Still, that would be an inconvenient technicality, as you noted.

Ugh. I just realized that the giant drug dealer was playing with the people (and one car!) in his grasp like toys. Creepy.

And is it me or is Knuckle Duster drawn...a little differently. He looks like he could be from a western comic book, similar to All Might's powered form. I think it's the jaw, and his pupil-less eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a good theory, and would make a lot of sense. If some quirkless dude stole a purse you wouldn't want Endeavor dealing with him. And cop's still clearly exist and are important in this universe. My guess it's to avoid a shift in balance. Like...if in Avatar the Legend of Korra, if the Metal Bender police, if they had ONLY targetted Bender related crimes, they might seem less oppressive.

Also yeah I found that HILARIOUS and also AWFUL. So creepy.

Oh that's definitely intentional. I love it.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's a good theory, and would make a lot of sense. If some quirkless dude stole a purse you wouldn't want Endeavor dealing with him. And cop's still clearly exist and are important in this universe. My guess it's to avoid a shift in balance. Like...if in Avatar the Legend of Korra, if the Metal Bender police, if they had ONLY targetted Bender related crimes, they might seem less oppressive.

Spoiler
    Show

Wait, the police in Korra was oppressive?
    Hm... but aren't quirkless people outnumbered like 9:1? Seems like a waste to have an extra police force for that... of course there's a differece between super villains and regular criminals but I don't feel like there must be a quirkless force...

I was more surprised there wasn't a more obvious AoT joke than Knuckles swinging at his face... (go 3dmg?)
    I felt like maybe they'd make more of that creepiness but they didn't. Oh well.

In general, decent chapter but I will kind of agree with khaine's complaint... yeah, he was not... physically attacking him but close to it. And he said he'd do it. It's really just like, rule of comedy why this is still fine

Also: So... Koichi will learn to fly?

btw: draw your hero contest! Suggest your favorite hero now
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Oh that's definitely intentional. I love it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Wait, the police in Korra was oppressive?
    Hm... but aren't quirkless people outnumbered like 9:1? Seems like a waste to have an extra police force for that... of course there's a differece between super villains and regular criminals but I don't feel like there must be a quirkless force...

I was more surprised there wasn't a more obvious AoT joke than Knuckles swinging at his face... (go 3dmg?)
    I felt like maybe they'd make more of that creepiness but they didn't. Oh well.

In general, decent chapter but I will kind of agree with khaine's complaint... yeah, he was not... physically attacking him but close to it. And he said he'd do it. It's really just like, rule of comedy why this is still fine

Also: So... Koichi will learn to fly?

btw: draw your hero contest! Suggest your favorite hero now
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also kind of a scale difference. If Deku's mom went out and became a cutpurse, her physical stature (somewhat pudgy woman probably somewhere in her late 30s to mid 40s) and Quirk (limited telekinesis) means that she might as well be Quirkless when compared to Endeavor. Similarly, the police probably largely comprises of people with Quirks that they can't (or didn't) develop into "Hero" type quirks (whether because of the Quirk's effects or because the person just doesn't have the physical or psychological potential to raise it to that level). Most people aren't at the level of even the UA students, let alone the Professional Heroes.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: results
    Show

You know you screwed up if mineta gets a better score than you... But I'm glad they failed, stupidity must be punished at least a bit. No main bonuses.

Otherwise not much to say... So Orca doesn't really look like that? Or did I misread that part? The fighters get assistance and possibly most awesome... CAMOTSUYU!! Our frog girl that already goes way beyond expectations gets another plus. (but are there actual frogs with camouflage? )

Next week... More dropouts? Unlikely.
    Last edited by Kato; 2016-10-28 at 11:32 AM.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #737

Spoiler: results
    Show

You know you screwed up if mineta gets a better score than you... But I'm glad they failed, stupidity must be punished at least a bit. No main bonuses.

Otherwise not much to say... So Pecs doesn't really look like that? Or did I misread that part? The fighters get assistance and possibly most awesome... CAMOTSUYU!! Our frog girl that already goes way beyond expectations gets another plus. (but are there actual frogs with camouflage? )

Next week... More dropouts? Unlikely.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure what you mean by Pecs, unless you mean Gang Orca? He's wearing restraining gear to stop him from just overpowering everyone.

I too am VERY glad they failed. They're heroes, they should of known better. Unlike you, I actually think we WILL be getting more fails. This isn't something all our heroes are going to pass straight off the batt.

There are frogs with camouflage, and it answers a question that I actually had about Quirks like Orca and Frog. Is it limited to just one TYPE of that animal, or does it encompass ALL of those animals. Cause it seems like the latter, since Tsuyu's developing other froggy abilities. Wonder if she'll gain any poison tech. Unlikely, but still.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure what you mean by Pecs, unless you mean Gang Orca? He's wearing restraining gear to stop him from just overpowering everyone.

I too am VERY glad they failed. They're heroes, they should of known better. Unlike you, I actually think we WILL be getting more fails. This isn't something all our heroes are going to pass straight off the batt.

There are frogs with camouflage, and it answers a question that I actually had about Quirks like Orca and Frog. Is it limited to just one TYPE of that animal, or does it encompass ALL of those animals. Cause it seems like the latter, since Tsuyu's developing other froggy abilities. Wonder if she'll gain any poison tech. Unlikely, but still.
    I hate my phone's auto correct... Yes, Orca.

Well, we don't know that many animal heroes... I guess orca is somewhat limited since it's a clear species. But then have other whales similar cool features? But I guess I could have just googled my dumb question
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #739

I hate my phone's auto correct... Yes, Orca.

Well, we don't know that many animal heroes... I guess orca is somewhat limited since it's a clear species. But then have other whales similar cool features? But I guess I could have just googled my dumb question
    Ah in that case yeah it's just him musing about how if he wasn't wearing gear to restrain his true power he'd probably beat all of them single handed

Orca's are not whales so that's a moot point. He does get a +5 racial bonus against people with shark abilities though, as do all porpoise/dolphin creatures do.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Wonder if she'll gain any poison tech. Unlikely, but still.
    Even so it would not do much. As frog poison works, she would need to shove her hand down someone's mouth...

Ah in that case yeah it's just him musing about how if he wasn't wearing gear to restrain his true power he'd probably beat all of them single handed
    What? no? He is going on about how the fire prison were impressive even had he not worn the restrictive protection gear. And then continues on regarding how much damage the combination of dryness and the surprise attack did. He is musing on how he might have been defeated by that trio even if he had not worn the gear.

21. - Top - End - #741

Even so it would not do much. As frog poison works, she would need to shove her hand down someone's mouth...

What? no? He is going on about how the fire prison were impressive even had he not worn the restrictive protection gear. And then continues on regarding how much damage the combination of dryness and the surprise attack did. He is musing on how he might have been defeated by that trio even if he had not worn the gear.
    Honestly I sort of read it as the middle thing. "This is impressive, but at full strength this wouldn't have gone so well for them.., Maybe."

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Orca's are not whales so that's a moot point. He does get a +5 racial bonus against people with shark abilities though, as do all porpoise/dolphin creatures do.
    What? Yes they are. Well, the same way dolphins are, but they're counted among whales.

Honestly I sort of read it as the middle thing. "This is impressive, but at full strength this wouldn't have gone so well for them.., Maybe."
    Yeah, somewhere... he wasn't sure. He was first suggesting the armor was holding him back but then admitting "nah, they got me cornered. Not really. maybe. It's classified." Even as atop hero, they just hit his weak spot...
    Much more I want to see him without armor now!

... so... if you kiss Tsuyu... you might get high?
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #743

What? Yes they are. Well, the same way dolphins are, but they're counted among whales.

Yeah, somewhere... he wasn't sure. He was first suggesting the armor was holding him back but then admitting "nah, they got me cornered. Not really. maybe. It's classified." Even as atop hero, they just hit his weak spot...
    Much more I want to see him without armor now!

... so... if you kiss Tsuyu... you might get high?
    I'm pretty sure Orca's are far removed from actual whales, but it's been awhile since I read up on my whaleology.

...I mean maybe! We could try and find out?

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Orca's are far removed from actual whales, but it's been awhile since I read up on my whaleology.
    While it's true that killer whales are just large dolphins, dolphins are considered (toothed) whales too so it's not really a misnomer. Even if colloquially speaking they're generally considered not to be, they are.

That's the explanation I read at any rate,

They're all related to hippos, evidently.

25. - Top - End - #745

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    While it's true that killer whales are just large dolphins, dolphins are considered (toothed) whales too so it's not really a misnomer. Even if colloquially speaking they're generally considered not to be, they are.

That's the explanation I read at any rate,

They're all related to hippos, evidently.
    Fish biology is weird. Point is Gang Orca rules did you see the art of his mouth this chapter?

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Fish biology is weird. Point is Gang Orca rules did you see the art of his mouth this chapter?
    I really like his eyes, they're super creepy. It's a particular thing with orca because their whole colouring deceives your perspective that you can't really see the weird sinewy-looking eye sockets that whales generally have, On the relatively smaller Gang Orca and with the manga art-style it ups it to something disturbing.

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I really like his eyes, they're super creepy. It's a particular thing with orca because their whole colouring deceives your perspective that you can't really see the weird sinewy-looking eye sockets that whales generally have, On the relatively smaller Gang Orca and with the manga art-style it ups it to something disturbing.
    Especially since, due to perportions, his eyes have ended up in the white spots. It's fantastic. From a distance he looks kinda stylized like Spiderman, and the up close you realize he's horrifying.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Fish biology is weird
    Was the whole point of this not that Orca's is not fish?

That aside, i actually now think this was a brilliant way to get Todoriki out of the way, for the comming street level heroics. His power level would make it very hard to come up with fitting challenges for the average UE student, that he could not just freeze up in a sweep of his cold arm. But since he failed the exam he wont be able to participate in a lot of battles, and i actually think that was the main purpose of this arc.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Was the whole point of this not that Orca's is not fish?

That aside, i actually now think this was a brilliant way to get Todoriki out of the way, for the comming street level heroics. His power level would make it very hard to come up with fitting challenges for the average UE student, that he could not just freeze up in a sweep of his cold arm. But since he failed the exam he wont be able to participate in a lot of battles, and i actually think that was the main purpose of this arc.
    Cetacean biology is weird :P

(Biological indicators are that they have land mammals that returned to the sea as ancestors, presumably deciding that all this walking about business was a non-starter, IIRC the closest relation to the cetaceans is hippos).

30. - Top - End - #750

AND SO, THE HIERARCHY HAS CRUMBLED.

****ing Mineta. Newchapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bakugou ALSO failed! OOOOPS! HAhahahahaah. Mineta tries to float and Iida helpfully (and comedically) breaks his neck. We then get the trick...everyone who failed is getting special March training, and if they do well enough they get a provisional license anyway! This is actually sensible, for numerous reasons.

And so, our heroes get their licenses. Uraraka is happy Deku's being such a geek. Our tornado powered M Bison cosplayer realizes...man Todoroki's gonna be my rival! And it's all fun and great. And then Deku asks the hair boy how they were able to hide their prescence so well...and asked about the shape changing girl, Camie. The hair boy says she was feeling sick and left in a taxi...and that she's been feeling weird lately...

And we see that she's Togahime. And her quirk? Metamorphasis: Through the ingestion of blood, she can shapeshift into that person. And she's obtained Deku's blood.

What a ****ing ENDING. OH GOD.