New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I think Tail Dude is the closest to a mundane. Because he's essentially just got a 5th limb.
    Yup. But Invisible Girls problem is that to even use her power she has to be naked, and can't use any equipment. Even a 5th limb can be used to operate an extra gun or the like.

But its still a damn good shonnen now that I let go of my preconceptions.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2016-05-22 at 07:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Two things,

First, this is a world that attempted to process the sudden singularity-type event of random superpowers appearing in what would eventually became the majority of the human population by embracing a general philosophy based on Golden Age comics with the most powerful among them donning the Superhero persona and working altruistically as vigilantes with colourful costumes and nicknames to aggressively hold back what had become rampant chaos, and receiving wide admiration and eventual integration into the world's power structure -- i.e. Hero Society. In many ways it's just a shounen action setting, but its characters and society want it to be an idealized Superhero universe from fiction, and the gap between that ideal and the reality of the world... is the source of conflict which the manga explores. Part of that reality is simply that Quirks are necessary, that isn't something Superhero comics believe, but it's a hard truth to their reality nonetheless.

Secondly, Midoriya's story is essentially Captain America's - although Deku's Bucky is an abrasive troll - but rather than embracing and representing the virtues of the American ideal as Steve Rogers does, he's a champion of this Hero Society that saved Japan. Which, given the aforementioned conflict central to the manga's narrative, makes an excellent basis for this setting's protagonist.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2016-05-22 at 09:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I have a Dungeon Meshi Avatar
    Good taste (Padumpish)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    is the source of conflict which the manga explores.
    Well its artificially cropped conflict. This conflict only arises because heroes in this setting spend more time in simple cage (Or effectively closed environment) fights then anything else.

Of course Kachan isn't an insane Liability and a danger to himself and others when everybody only cares about how you fight. Again the only time so far in 90 chapters we have had a story thats more then just fighting is the short training where they have to get the Atom Bomb.

Its an overall Shonnen thing where environment doesn't factor into fights whatsoever. And in my opinion the only Superhero stuff that I find entertaining is the stuff with Environmental Factors (So mainly the Brute Tim Verse as well as Spectacular Spiderman).

edit:

Which is to say that now I changed my expectations to that of a Shonen show and not a Superhero show.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2016-05-22 at 11:48 PM.
    A little condescending

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    And most Shonnen protagonists also care about protecting people in one form or another. Its the way the story is told and the world is generated, as well as the action.

Like the school competes against each other people that are supposed to be basically working together. Thats a basic Shonnen Trope but not a Superhero trope. Yes at the moment comics are overflowing with "Hero VS Hero" garbage but thats not a good thing.

Like we never even GET too see the heroes practice rescue training because that doesn't involve fighting. I would make much more exercises about preventing civilian casualties, and focus on refining their powers, rather then just ubering them. And once again I start to pity invisible girl. Heck the final exam is a tournament arc composed of different fights.

Also the villains just don't have plots outside of just attacking the heroes in many fashions.

Like say even if this was just Supercop school, it doesn't function like one would think one would. If anybody ever asked you why you wanted to become a cop and the response was "Because I want to prove how superior I am", or even started yelling crazy sort of stuff during combat exercises one would think they would get kicked out instantly.

Which is why I argue that its much more...stock Shonnen then I initially thought it was. Seeing it in animated format really brought that out to me.
    Now, this I can kind of agree with. The story largely follows the shonen formula, but with superheroes as the backdrop. Even though rescue work and such are mentioned, the focus of the action is on fights. Both Ratman and OnePunch Man fell into the same line. They spend some time to establish the world as a superhero world, then resume with the stock shonen formula.

Students fighting against other students in a controlled environment is probably the safest way to simulate the power vs power battles you'd get when facing supervillains. It may not be fair to people like tail boy, invisible girl, and sticky ball dwarf, but if they really want to be heroes they could very well meet villains in the field with stronger quirks than theirs. However, all three could be quite useful in non-combat roles. Pity the story doesn't really explore this deeply and we end up witnessing these "utility" heroes getting pwned in situations where their unique abilities don't get to shine. In general, I'd consider Uraraka a more useful hero to have around than Bakugou, but if you put them in a 1v1 deathmatch of course baron explodo-kills is going to have the advantage.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Yup. But Invisible Girls problem is that to even use her power she has to be naked, and can't use any equipment. Even a 5th limb can be used to operate an extra gun or the like.

But its still a damn good shonnen now that I let go of my preconceptions.
    Not that it matters much but the series has made it quite clear she likes being naked, actually. That being said I get what you mean...except all she needs to do is learn some martial arts and how to walk silently and she's practically unbeatable.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Not that it matters much but the series has made it quite clear she likes being naked, actually. That being said I get what you mean...except all she needs to do is learn some martial arts and how to walk silently and she's practically unbeatable.
    Broken glass

edit: Wait no thats also a trained skill.

So I guess lots of endurance walking. Hot Coals, Frozen Tundra, Glass.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2016-05-23 at 02:51 AM.
    A little condescending

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

If she never wears shoes that training will not be needed, the sole is going to toughen up on its own to a surprising degree.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

I assume they're going to create some sort of transparent outfit for her, to protect her from environmental hazards. I mean, they managed to create grenade launchers for Bakugo.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    I assume they're going to create some sort of transparent outfit for her, to protect her from environmental hazards. I mean, they managed to create grenade launchers for Bakugo.
    That's possible, but...I'll be honest aside from potential weather complications she doesn't really NEED a suit, right? I mean the costume she designed herself are little booties and cartoonish gloves that are both easily tear-off-able so that she can go 100% stealth mode. If anything her plan is to be a recon type hero, so she's got as little cloths as possible so her allies know where she is, but easily removable so she can poof away.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    If she never wears shoes that training will not be needed, the sole is going to toughen up on its own to a surprising degree.
    I understand that but Im talking about other extremes as well.

Anyway im 90% sure that she won't get such focus or training.
    A little condescending

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

I understand that but Im talking about other extremes as well.

Anyway im 90% sure that she won't get such focus or training.
    Well.. the tings that can be trained, she automatically will get training towards just from walking barefooted all day, all year round.

The things that cant be trained, wont get training anyway.

That's possible, but...I'll be honest aside from potential weather complications she doesn't really NEED a suit, right? I mean the costume she designed herself are little booties and cartoonish gloves that are both easily tear-off-able so that she can go 100% stealth mode. If anything her plan is to be a recon type hero, so she's got as little cloths as possible so her allies know where she is, but easily removable so she can poof away.
    Yeah, the best thing she could get from gear would be little knockout darts she could hide in her mouth.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

*unearthly screeching about chapter 92*

THAT LAST PANEL.

OMFG.

13. - Top - End - #313

New Chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    The world learns All Might's truth, that his body has been worn away...but still he stands, doing his best to save everyone, no matter what! But then...he reveals the truth. Shiguraki is the grandson of All Might's master, who is actually a lady! All Might wavers for a bit...but the people watching on the news cheer him on, as does the person who he took that blow for that was caught in the rubble. And with what is sure to be one final surge of power from All For One, All Might powers up. Next chapter is going to be intense as hell.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Wohooo! thats why i look forward to this every week.

Spoiler
    Show

And ye gods the tension is high, i dont recall the last time i had read a series with so much of it.
    I can honestly not guess if One for All will win this, or even survive the fight. Thats practially unhead of for a shonen serie.

I mean, i am pretty sure such a central character is not going to get discarded so early, but i really cant say for certain.

15. - Top - End - #315

Wohooo! thats why i look forward to this every week.

Spoiler
    Show

And ye gods the tension is high, i dont recall the last time i had read a series with so much of it.
    I can honestly not guess if One for All will win this, or even survive the fight. Thats practially unhead of for a shonen serie.

I mean, i am pretty sure such a central character is not going to get discarded so early, but i really cant say for certain.

Spoiler
    Show

Hell there's a non zero chance the MAIN ANTAGONIST might bite the big one here. They've specifically built this up to the point where this feels like the grand finale of a series we just haven't read, that we're only getting snippets of. I love it!

Props to the mangaka's art here ESPECIALLY. His art's always been really good, but seeing All Might's body shift between forms in the same panel as his body slowly starts losing hold of it...it's amazing. It helps that we've seen this man at his lowest, where he's literally vomiting blood in every scene to the point where it's actually comedy. So seeing him get THIS intense...it's amazing.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

So, after everyone and their mother started talking about it I finally got caught up with the show.
    (Also, sorry, not reading 11 pages of thread)

In general, I quite enjoy it, albeit there are a few things that bother me at least slightly. I guess the idea of most people having a quirk is fine, it just seems even with their applicability being so different, there would be way more jobs for people with specialized quirks than just super heroing. Like... oh, I don't know. Construction. Gardening. Transport. But from what we've seen you can either be a hero or a villain, albeit this might have to do with the general focus of the show.
    Most characters who got spotlight are nice and fun to watch. Bakugou at times has a bit much Sasuke vibe about him but he's different enough to not feel like a copy. Well, I guess actually there are more differences than similarities, I guess, but I think you know what I mean. Same I guess could be somewhat said for Todoroki and Gaara. (Here I go, making only Naruto references).
    I'm also somewhat put off by Midoriya's power creep. Yeah, he got an awesome-sih quirk he's slowly starting to get a grip on but in exchange it seems like when he gets something new, he loses something old. He started out mostly relying on his tactical mind set and seeing through his opponents. No, he's not an idiot now but I feel it's been toned down to him mostly going with another upgrade to One for All. (For which before the Training Camp arc he kind of forgot about going all out, for proper reasons, but then can use 100000%. Look, another upgrade )
    Yeah, I'm nitpicking at a really decent story here but I guess if I was to list the positive things I'd type forever.

Spoiler: more recent stuff
    Show

The latest events are done really well, and yes, I have no idea either how this might end. If I were a betting man, I'd say AM survives but gets hurt to the point where he can't fight anymore and All for One gets away because... warp guy comes back? Not sure. But then, I really can't read the guy with his weird philosophy (Speaking of weird philosophy, can we get Stain back pretty please?) So he's actually trying to make out AM as the bad guy here? Because he... fights crime?

I guess Shikamura(?) having sme connection to AM was obvious, but I was expecting something else. Like him being actually the former owner of OfA or so, though i guess then AM must have recognized him. I'm a bit confused on the age line with him being his teachers grandchild but... whatever. I guess we'll get more details about that when the action is over.

So, yeah, hooked on where this goes.

sidenote: I agree with invisible girl being kind of... at a disadvantage what with having to be naked. Even if she is totally buff and a martial arts master, how would she ever fight someone who could e.g. shoot flames at her? I mean, yeah, those people can take some punishment even if they are supposedly normal but there is only so much you can do realistically being invisible.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So, after everyone and their mother started talking about it I finally got caught up with the show.
    (Also, sorry, not reading 11 pages of thread)

In general, I quite enjoy it, albeit there are a few things that bother me at least slightly. I guess the idea of most people having a quirk is fine, it just seems even with their applicability being so different, there would be way more jobs for people with specialized quirks than just super heroing. Like... oh, I don't know. Construction. Gardening. Transport. But from what we've seen you can either be a hero or a villain, albeit this might have to do with the general focus of the show.
    Nah, it's clear that superheroing is just one use of quirk. You can see that most people don't be superhero, superheroing (and supervilainy) is an elite job that only very few people do. And you can also see bits on how people use quirk for daily job. For example, it's mentioned that Uraraka uses his gravity power mainly to help his family's construction job before she went to the academy. It's just they're not the focus of the show. Though to be honest, it'd make a fun spin off, having a series about non-superhero quirk users using their quirk for mundane day-to-day job.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I think in general we only spoiler things regarding the manga 2-3 days after it has come out, to give everyone a chance to read up on their own.

And as for the outcome, then i am also betting on All Might out to the point where he can no longer actively act as a symbol of peace, most likely with a severly limited time limit.

But then, I really can't read the guy with his weird philosophy (Speaking of weird philosophy, can we get Stain back pretty please?) So he's actually trying to make out AM as the bad guy here? Because he... fights crime?
    I dont directly think he is trying to make out All Might to be a bad guy, more attempting to mess with his head.

I guess Shikamura(?) having sme connection to AM was obvious, but I was expecting something else. Like him being actually the former owner of OfA or so, though i guess then AM must have recognized him. I'm a bit confused on the age line with him being his teachers grandchild but... whatever. I guess we'll get more details about that when the action is over.
    I suspect its something cultural we are missing. About why its such a big deal i mean.

sidenote: I agree with invisible girl being kind of... at a disadvantage what with having to be naked. Even if she is totally buff and a martial arts master, how would she ever fight someone who could e.g. shoot flames at her? I mean, yeah, those people can take some punishment even if they are supposedly normal but there is only so much you can do realistically being invisible.
    I think your severly underestimating how much humans rely on their vision, or how big an advantage being invisible is. How would someone even know they should be shooting flames at anyone, before she had jabbed them in the neck with a dart hidden in her mouth? Or put them in a sleeper hold if they are not inhumanly tough.

And thats just the straight up physical confrontation, she is more or less the perfect ninja/scout.

19. - Top - End - #319

Most characters who got spotlight are nice and fun to watch. Bakugou at times has a bit much Sasuke vibe about him but he's different enough to not feel like a copy. Well, I guess actually there are more differences than similarities, I guess, but I think you know what I mean. Same I guess could be somewhat said for Todoroki and Gaara. (Here I go, making only Naruto references).
    I'm also somewhat put off by Midoriya's power creep. Yeah, he got an awesome-sih quirk he's slowly starting to get a grip on but in exchange it seems like when he gets something new, he loses something old. He started out mostly relying on his tactical mind set and seeing through his opponents. No, he's not an idiot now but I feel it's been toned down to him mostly going with another upgrade to One for All. (For which before the Training Camp arc he kind of forgot about going all out, for proper reasons, but then can use 100000%. Look, another upgrade )
    Yeah, I'm nitpicking at a really decent story here but I guess if I was to list the positive things I'd type forever.

Spoiler: more recent stuff
    Show

The latest events are done really well, and yes, I have no idea either how this might end. If I were a betting man, I'd say AM survives but gets hurt to the point where he can't fight anymore and All for One gets away because... warp guy comes back? Not sure. But then, I really can't read the guy with his weird philosophy (Speaking of weird philosophy, can we get Stain back pretty please?) So he's actually trying to make out AM as the bad guy here? Because he... fights crime?

So, yeah, hooked on where this goes.

As has been said before, they do make it clear you don't have to be a super hero. Uraraka has a part time job in construction, if she wanted she could just devote herself to that full time and...it basically would be super okay. The only reason she doesn't is because she's a student who WANTS to be a super hero, and likely because the foreman at the construction site wouldn't allow it because it's like "come on girl get your education, you're young. It's super useful to have you around but I can't have you working full time at the expense of your education".

Bakugou being close to Sasuke is accurate, they are the same sort of archetype. The difference being that I can't foresee Bakugou turning evil like Sasuke...and if he did I can definitely see him facing the consequences of his actions down the line if he did. Todoroki as Gaara (the stoic badass who learns to be more friendly) makes more sense, but his family problems are quite a bit different from Gaara's while still feeling like they're familiar.

Him throwing away tactics in favor of raw strength during the Training Arc fight was because he tried all his fancy tactics...and they did jack all because the dude was just overwhelmingly powerful. It doesn't matter if you can trick the guy if all it does is make him laugh at you. They also balance it in the sense that...what you said is actually right, only in a more literal sense. As he gets stronger, he is losing stuff...specifically, as we saw with that intense power usage in the training arc, if he does that one or two more times he's just going to lose the use of that arm, 100%. He will certainly go back to using tactics in the future because he literally cannot afford to just blurgh all the power out. It'll kill him eventually, so he does have to play it smart.

What All For One is doing here is...showing us what his ideal is. He believes that All Might is someone who's enjoyed the fame and celebrity he's earned on the fallen, broken bodies of his comrades. Yes, what All For One has done with those comrades is likely a lot of evil, nasty crimes, but a small part of me says he has a point. All Might is the most beloved hero in the world, but as we've seen when he's facing down villains he is a TERROR to behold. To All For One, he IS the big bad. It's interesting, and a very big part of the themes of this series. These are not people fighting, but ideals clashing.

Shiguraki, or Shimura if you want to use his "real last name". The timeframe of when All Might got his power and stuff is definitely something that's going to be touched on. I can see this all leading into a flashback arc.

As has been said after your post before as well, humans REALLY like using their eyes to do things. Someone who is truly 100% invisible wins the fight because they can't find her. Hell, she wins the fight before it even begins if she's precise enough. And she can always do scouting and stuff. And on another level I just love how of every character so far, she's probably the one who's been more prominently featured in fanservice scenes...but she's invisible so we don't actually see anything, and that's amusing to me.

To explain what I mean: In the scene where Mineta is spying on the girls changing she's the only one fully undressed. When the girls get tricked into doing the cheerleader shot she's the only one who gets an upskirt (and it appears she's not even wearing panties!), in the hotspring scene she's the only one not covering up her breasts through her arms, a towel, or convienant mist. She's also sleeping naked in the scene a little after that, her covers not fully on.

But since she's invisible we can't actually see ANY OF IT. This concept just makes me have this warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's so silly.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you guys watched the show, they covered invisible girl losing hard to aoe attacks. The kid froze the whole building that she was in. Not a full fledged hero, just a student.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    If you guys watched the show, they covered invisible girl losing hard to aoe attacks. The kid froze the whole building that she was in. Not a full fledged hero, just a student.
    That was in the manga as well. What's important to note is that Todoroki was AWARE THAT SHE WAS IN THE BUILDING. In a real world scenario I don't think it'd be likely to assume an invisible person was around 100% of the time.

Also Todoroki is an exceptionally gifted person. That's like saying the person who gets straight A's in school is the baseline of intelligence. They're explicitly not, that's how grading works.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

I'll just take Zodiac's reply because it's the longest but I'll try to cover everything

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    As has been said before, they do make it clear you don't have to be a super hero.
    Yes, but I agree with Fri, with powers being that common I want to see more/have a spin off about normal people using their quirks for work. If you can use head phone plugs to be a hero, there must be potential there!

Bakugou being close to Sasuke is accurate, they are the same sort of archetype. The difference being that I can't foresee Bakugou turning evil like Sasuke...and if he did I can definitely see him facing the consequences of his actions down the line if he did. Todoroki as Gaara (the stoic badass who learns to be more friendly) makes more sense, but his family problems are quite a bit different from Gaara's while still feeling like they're familiar.
    Well, they were kind of ambivalent about that. During the sports festival like the villains I was convinced they could have turned him. Clearly, the author wanted us to think so, but by now we know it will be very unlikely.
    I think Todoroki and Gaara are actually really similar, in respect to their powers being forced on them (by their father), their father and mother being... well, in the better case, estranged, their powers being at times diificult to control (Todoroki can freeze himself if he uses too much ice, though fire seems to be not dangerous... somehow), their fathers are both... ahem. Not nice. Yes, they are different enough but while not rivals there are many, many similarities.

Him throwing away tactics in favor of raw strength during the Training Arc fight was because he tried all his fancy tactics...and they did jack all because the dude was just overwhelmingly powerful. It doesn't matter if you can trick the guy if all it does is make him laugh at you. They also balance it in the sense that...what you said is actually right, only in a more literal sense. As he gets stronger, he is losing stuff...specifically, as we saw with that intense power usage in the training arc, if he does that one or two more times he's just going to lose the use of that arm, 100%. He will certainly go back to using tactics in the future because he literally cannot afford to just blurgh all the power out. It'll kill him eventually, so he does have to play it smart.
    Yes, he somewhat returns to his "body breaking" level attacks, or did there. And he still is kind of using his brains. And I admit with the villains being not someone he studied for long, it is harder, yet he uses i.e. his team mates skills. But it still feels like that is going to the background to make more use of new levels OfA.

What All For One is doing here is...showing us what his ideal is. He believes that All Might is someone who's enjoyed the fame and celebrity he's earned on the fallen, broken bodies of his comrades. Yes, what All For One has done with those comrades is likely a lot of evil, nasty crimes, but a small part of me says he has a point. All Might is the most beloved hero in the world, but as we've seen when he's facing down villains he is a TERROR to behold. To All For One, he IS the big bad. It's interesting, and a very big part of the themes of this series. These are not people fighting, but ideals clashing.
    But AfO seems rather sane... not sure if khaine is closer with him just messing with AM. I think it's a bit of both but the way he seems to be willing to sacrifice himself for Shigaraki he seems really... nice. In a weird twisted way. But he should be aware committing crimes is not good, and fighting crime is. So why does he seem convinced otherwise? I can't quite see him going Stain's anti-false-hero philosophy. He knows AM is a true hero, yet he hates him. Because crime is good?

As has been said after your post before as well, humans REALLY like using their eyes to do things. Someone who is truly 100% invisible wins the fight because they can't find her. Hell, she wins the fight before it even begins if she's precise enough. And she can always do scouting and stuff. And on another level I just love how of every character so far, she's probably the one who's been more prominently featured in fanservice scenes...but she's invisible so we don't actually see anything, and that's amusing to me.
    Eh... I'm still on the fence about this. Yes, being invisible is handy and if you are not super loud you can probably sneak in rather easy. But then you get to stuff like... doors. Unles she learns phasing, too. And as was said, AoE's make quick work of a naked person. And she can't just carry around blow darts or such, unless she... swallows them, or... well, you know. Yes, she can be a good spy giving certain situations but in combat with a decent opponent... I feel bad for her.

To explain what I mean: In the scene where Mineta is spying on the girls changing she's the only one fully undressed. When the girls get tricked into doing the cheerleader shot she's the only one who gets an upskirt (and it appears she's not even wearing panties!), in the hotspring scene she's the only one not covering up her breasts through her arms, a towel, or convienant mist. She's also sleeping naked in the scene a little after that, her covers not fully on.

But since she's invisible we can't actually see ANY OF IT. This concept just makes me have this warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's so silly.
    ... It's kind of amazing how much attention you seem to pay to that It really is silly. Also, I wonder if you are an exhibionist if you are invisible...
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #323

Yes, he somewhat returns to his "body breaking" level attacks, or did there. And he still is kind of using his brains. And I admit with the villains being not someone he studied for long, it is harder, yet he uses i.e. his team mates skills. But it still feels like that is going to the background to make more use of new levels OfA.

But AfO seems rather sane... not sure if khaine is closer with him just messing with AM. I think it's a bit of both but the way he seems to be willing to sacrifice himself for Shigaraki he seems really... nice. In a weird twisted way. But he should be aware committing crimes is not good, and fighting crime is. So why does he seem convinced otherwise? I can't quite see him going Stain's anti-false-hero philosophy. He knows AM is a true hero, yet he hates him. Because crime is good?

Eh... I'm still on the fence about this. Yes, being invisible is handy and if you are not super loud you can probably sneak in rather easy. But then you get to stuff like... doors. Unles she learns phasing, too. And as was said, AoE's make quick work of a naked person. And she can't just carry around blow darts or such, unless she... swallows them, or... well, you know. Yes, she can be a good spy giving certain situations but in combat with a decent opponent... I feel bad for her.

... It's kind of amazing how much attention you seem to pay to that It really is silly. Also, I wonder if you are an exhibionist if you are invisible...
    I think we'll definitely get more cases of "Deku has to use his brain over his brawn" situations, especially after this arc. We saw him do as such to save Bakugou. Hell, Deku was even aware of the fact that if he was directly involved in saving Bakugou, that might be the thing needed TO switch him over. Deku's smart enough to be aware that he's kind of a harmful influence on the guy.

A4O is very sane, which is the problem. He's a rational sociopath. "Why is it a crime, for me to try and rule the world? I'm very smart, I know how to make people do what I want through negotiating, I have incredibly strong powers. I'm very good at fighting. Why is it a crime for me to try and be in charge of everyone?" Because to me, that's what it feels like. A4O genuinely believes that him being in charge would be better for everyone, so he see's All Might tearing his friends and allies apart as quite rude. So while yes, he does clearly know crimes are bad and that All Might is the world's hero...he also believes his actions are not evil. They're for a better world, everyone just refuses to see it.

I do accept that he could very easily be ****ing with All Might though, especially given Shiguraki is the grandson of Shimura Nana. He wouldn't of chosen that person to be his disciple if he didn't think it'd be a good emotional tool to **** with his greatest enemy. I do think we're supposed to believe that A4O does actually care for him though. It's a dark mirror of All Might and Deku. All Might and A4O both want their young ward to reach forward to grab the future they want. They both want to pass a torch. It's just that one is corrupted, from our view point.

This fighting of ideals is also why Stain is such an important villain. If Stain was a little less...insane, he'd be a true and good hero. He wants heroes to save people not for the fame, but because "it is a thing we must do as heroes". He just goes about it wrong. If he had a noble hand to guide him, maybe he wouldn't of fell the way he did. I think as the series goes we'll see how Deku and Shiguraki mirror each other, like how All Might and A4O mirror each other. And it'll be fantastic.

You are right that our little invisible girl would have problems as a more convention hero, but I think she'll find her roll. Hell, I'm pretty sure we'll get little moments where we see everyone in Class A being a badass. Some villain knocks Suguroku into a building in a fighting, and it happens to be a candy store and suddenly Sugar Hulk smashes out and saves the day.

I pay attention to many things! Asido is also the only girl other than the invisible girl to sleep in an unrefined way, and they're typically shown to be together in like the opening of the anime and various crowd shots and stuff. They're clearly friends. The french laser guy is sitting in the same position he was in the training arc, it's quite clear he's still traumatized from that. The only times Asui's face hasn't shown her cool and collected expression is right now when she's watching the fight on the news...and as Shiguraki's hand got closer to her face. Iida's text boxes are always square, even when yelling, because he's supposed to have a stilted, robotic like voice. The spin smash All Might did recently, it's text bubble trail was spinning as well. There's a lot of little details that this series does and as someone who notices small details a lot, I love it!

Also I'll be honest I just really like the invisible girl because of the gag we got when we saw all those badass shots of our heroes after the first villain invasion...and the shot for the invisible girl was empty because "she is invisible". That made me want to pay more attention to her since she's got some great sight gags going on...another irony given she's invisible.

Also also, I'd say it still counts as being an exhibitionist, it's just also hilariously ironic a fate to be one when your power is "is completely invisible".
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-05-31 at 03:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but I agree with Fri, with powers being that common I want to see more/have a spin off about normal people using their quirks for work. If you can use head phone plugs to be a hero, there must be potential there!
    What i think is important to remember here though, is that both your quirk and your mind need to line up before you get someone that uses their power during daily work.
    Take for example a power strong person. Or someone that can both breathe fire and ignore heat. Those powers are of limited use for someone that want to be a doctor.

Well, they were kind of ambivalent about that. During the sports festival like the villains I was convinced they could have turned him. Clearly, the author wanted us to think so, but by now we know it will be very unlikely.
    I think Todoroki and Gaara are actually really similar, in respect to their powers being forced on them (by their father), their father and mother being... well, in the better case, estranged, their powers being at times diificult to control (Todoroki can freeze himself if he uses too much ice, though fire seems to be not dangerous... somehow), their fathers are both... ahem. Not nice. Yes, they are different enough but while not rivals there are many, many similarities.
    I do see a lot of simularities between them, though of course the main difference is that Todoriki was not nearly as messed up as Gara were initially.

I think mainly he returned to doing or sacrificing whatever of himself that was needed. He is still using his brain as much as before, he just got an additional tool to use now.
    And to be honest, Deku being smart enough to call for help when facing Stain gave him a LOT of brain credit in my book. Enough to last for quite a few additional encounters

AfO is most likely the opposite of being regularly insane. I think his brain is operating with a chilling degree of effektivity that dont get hindered by emotions in the least.
    His relationship with Shigaraki is strangely mirrored in how AM and Deku are, i kinda suspect him of trying to set Shigaraki up as his own succesor, both as vengeance and because AM did inflict a lot of damage upon him during their last encounter.
    And he can easily mean that there is no good and evil, if he is operating from another set of core values. If he dont considder his acts crimes to start with, then that detail would be out of the way.
    Like perhaps he thinks in part that AM is a rival, and not really different from himself, as they both climped across a mountain of bodies to get to the top?

That though were in a fight with a opponent specialising in massive AOE attacks, and that were aware of the invisible person. Do think about how much background noise there is in most larger towns, as well as of how often a draft can make a door that were not closed completely suddenly creak open. Doors i dont think is to much of a problem. And if just the idea that there is someone invisible, somewhere in the secret base can make the villains run around blowing everything up then i already think she have done her job. She can then wait outside for about ½ an hour. And then later come back with her team and mob up the exhausted villains.
    As for darts or.. other things.. then its not like she need that many. If she can fit 5 into her mouth, and places 3 of them in the neck of an opponent, then i already thing she did her share of the work.

edit.
    Also also, I'd say it still counts as being an exhibitionist, it's just also hilariously ironic a fate to be one when your power is "is completely invisible".
    I will point out though, that if thats the case then you can both get bodypaint, as well as latex suits that might as well be painted on
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2016-05-31 at 03:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

I will point out though, that if thats the case then you can both get bodypaint, as well as latex suits that might as well be painted on
    Point. Though that being said I hope we never actually get a good clear look at what Invisible Girl looks like. I kinda want it to be like...a "Kakashi's face" thing. We never really see how she looks. General body shape yeah, but we'll never get to know.

It would be funny if she got splashed by paint though. There needs to be more paint based villains.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Oh my, who could have seen this comming?!

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show

Anyway, just teasing, the tension continues to climb steadily, but we have still not gotten a resolution, even if it seems like they are about to take each other out.

27. - Top - End - #327

Oh my, who could have seen this comming?!

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show

Anyway, just teasing, the tension continues to climb steadily, but we have still not gotten a resolution, even if it seems like they are about to take each other out.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

New chapter.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    Spoiler
    Show

So many things to unpack from this. It's All Might who decided to become a "Symbol of Peace". That was his ideal from the beginning and what made Nana choose him. We get to see Endeavor and Gran Torino as yonger people and they look SO COOL. I would not be apposed to a prequel series.

And we see...at the depths of his being, all All Might has left is embers. But these are embers that won't die out no matter what. The monsterous mass of hands fused into one arm that A4O is using...combined with the honestly really ****ing creepy art of All Might huddling over the burning ember...seeing All Might's hand basically get smushed into a stump. Every chapter keeps bumping up the art quality and it's fantastic.

I have a feeling the conclusion will be next week and it will not dissapoint. The other heroes are here, along with the police, to help save civilians. All Might has landed one mighty blow on A4O's chin and broken his helmet further. Even A4O is all "Oh, to go to such lengths to protect this ember...I made an error" which is FANTASTIC. He also knows Deku is the new wielder of One For All. That'll be bad for Deku in the future, I imagine.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Geez, Zodiac

Spoiler
    Show

Plenty of build up and things happening but still no conclusion. I'm actually not sure how much longer this will last. Maybe Could end next week or could be weeks. We'll see.

AM always having his dream was not really a surprise, young Endeavor, though... Also, if we trust in AfO also ging down I guess Deku is safe(?).

Something that seems a bit weird... okay, a) the bit about AM getting weaker after passing on OfA but then that quirk is weird anyway. But more so... how is AM so beyond everyone else? He's just... strong. like, crazy strong but... it seems to me other pros should be able to keep up with him?

Anyway, excited for the future!
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #329

Geez, Zodiac

Spoiler
    Show

Plenty of build up and things happening but still no conclusion. I'm actually not sure how much longer this will last. Maybe Could end next week or could be weeks. We'll see.

AM always having his dream was not really a surprise, young Endeavor, though... Also, if we trust in AfO also ging down I guess Deku is safe(?).

Something that seems a bit weird... okay, a) the bit about AM getting weaker after passing on OfA but then that quirk is weird anyway. But more so... how is AM so beyond everyone else? He's just... strong. like, crazy strong but... it seems to me other pros should be able to keep up with him?

Anyway, excited for the future!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing that makes All Might as strong as he is is not just that he is strong. He is not alone. Every other user of One For All seems to be a part of the power, each of their power collected by the "storing up power" aspect of the Quirk and sent to the next person with the "pass along the power" aspect of the Quirk. All Might also has "the drive" for lack of a better term. The other top class heroes are VERY strong, but what they lack compared to All Might is that Toshinori has such a will to succeed that he just goes at it harder than they do.

That's not to say they don't have drive as well, but All Might's is bigger. It makes a degree of sense, too. When people are pushed to the limit they either break or get stronger. Endeavor's only goal is to surpass All Might, whereas All Might has to carry on the legacy of all those before him, including his Master Nana who was killed by the eternal rival of the legacy he has within him. He is the only thing really standing between this current peaceful world and the guy who once took over almost all of it coming back. That level of pressure either kills you outright or makes you into the type of man All Might is.

It's entirely likely that, regardless of the outcome of this fight, all the top ranked heroes will be inspired to improve ever more. Look at how crazed Endeavor looks, looking at All Might's true form. He's finally realizing his greatest rival is a skeleton and still stronger than him, so he's gonna push himself HARD.

Another thing to keep in mind...All Might is basically this world's superman. How does Green Lantern keep up with Superman? He...he does. In his own ways. Same with Best Jeanist and the other top rankers.

One final note. All Might getting weaker due to passing on the power makes a lot of sense. He's...literally GIVING all of the power to Deku. It's gone now. He still has the final embers of it inside of him, basically a "side effect" of the power having been in him in the first place.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Well, but if quirks are genetic, or most are said to be passing it on is... really weird.

Also: sidenote, how long has OfA bee around? IIRC the backstory said since about the age of quirks began but wasn't that kind of recent? Like only a few generations/decades ago?
    "What's done is done."