New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Since this is not information covered in the latest chapter then i dont feel like it need to be spoilered.
    But anyway regarding OfA, then i dont quite agree with LaZodiacs reading of the situation.

Drive an motivation certainly helps a lot, but one of the earliest messages in the serie were that not everyone is created equally. We saw that in early Deku, who back then were powerless despite having everything he have now except a quirk.

And quirks are just in no way equeal, AM's AfO is simply just that much stronger than anyone else besides AfO.
    I guess it is in part due to its unique nature, it is a quirk that grows in power each time its passed on to a new bearer, meaning it were at its absolute peak when we saw AM in his prime.
    (as a side note do recall he is not just super strong, he is also insanely tough, and able to move faster than the eye can follow at times)

Spoiler
    Show

Though i also think its kinda certain now that AfO is going to get seriously maimed, or in some other way be put out of action for a long time.
    He has guessed that Deku is the next bearer of OfA, and with his brutal effectivity i cant imagine any way Deku could survive being targetet by him.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, but if quirks are genetic, or most are said to be passing it on is... really weird.

Also: sidenote, how long has OfA bee around? IIRC the backstory said since about the age of quirks began but wasn't that kind of recent? Like only a few generations/decades ago?
    Quirks are genetic, but they don't "pass on" they are "also present". Todoroki isn't stronger because his dad had fire, he just "also has fire". One For All explicitly changes owners, growing in power by the very nature of it's baseline quirk. Remember, the initial Quirk was "power storing". So basically like using Endure in Pokemon. It mixed with the Quirk ability "Pass On To Another Person" and became what it is now, the Quirk ability to "Store up power and pass it on".

Also everything Lord Khaine said is pretty accurate too. A lot of what I'm saying is partly influenced by my own beliefs probably.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Quirks are genetic, but they don't "pass on" they are "also present". Todoroki isn't stronger because his dad had fire, he just "also has fire". One For All explicitly changes owners, growing in power by the very nature of it's baseline quirk. Remember, the initial Quirk was "power storing". So basically like using Endure in Pokemon. It mixed with the Quirk ability "Pass On To Another Person" and became what it is now, the Quirk ability to "Store up power and pass it on".

Also everything Lord Khaine said is pretty accurate too. A lot of what I'm saying is partly influenced by my own beliefs probably.
    Yes, but this doesn't explain why he would lose it. It's in your genes. Losing a hair doesn't make all your genes drop your quirk. I know I'm being too scientific here but it just seems like a reason to lower AM'spower level because, you know, missing half his interal organs isn't enough.

Yeah, AM has a bunch pf physical enhancements and powerful ones but... eh, I guess maybe the durability upgrade is worth much more. Most others are mostly human. So they are kind of glass cannons.
    Also: Wondering how Aizawa would fare against AfO.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Oh thanks, its not that your take on the whole subject isnt really interesting to read as well. Im just enviromentally damaged when it comes to objectively presenting facts and theories

Yes, but this doesn't explain why he would lose it. It's in your genes. Losing a hair doesn't make all your genes drop your quirk. I know I'm being too scientific here but it just seems like a reason to lower AM'spower level because, you know, missing half his interal organs isn't enough.
    Halt! your thinking our would genetics into a super hero manga!
    You can keep a scientific mindset, but you need to adjust it to the specific worlds internal rules
    And again, the whole point of OfA is that it gives you two gifts. One is the gift of unrivaled physical might, the other is the power to pass all that might over towards a worthy recipient.

Yeah, AM has a bunch pf physical enhancements and powerful ones but... eh, I guess maybe the durability upgrade is worth much more. Most others are mostly human. So they are kind of glass cannons.
    Also: Wondering how Aizawa would fare against AfO.
    I think your selling the speed enchancement to short myself. Do recall he can move and punch so fast the airwave knocks normal people away. In a fight most opponents would not even get a chance to register what were going on before they were out cold.

And actually i kinda suspect Aizawa is the natural counter to AfO, or simular people with an overpowered quirk but no physical transmutations.
    He can after all not create quirks, only steal and bestow them. So he cant make a quirk to counter Aizawa's gaze, even though his monsters would eat the poor teacher in seconds.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh thanks, its not that your take on the whole subject isnt really interesting to read as well. Im just enviromentally damaged when it comes to objectively presenting facts and theories

Halt! your thinking our would genetics into a super hero manga!
    You can keep a scientific mindset, but you need to adjust it to the specific worlds internal rules
    And again, the whole point of OfA is that it gives you two gifts. One is the gift of unrivaled physical might, the other is the power to pass all that might over towards a worthy recipient.

I think your selling the speed enchancement to short myself. Do recall he can move and punch so fast the airwave knocks normal people away. In a fight most opponents would not even get a chance to register what were going on before they were out cold.

And actually i kinda suspect Aizawa is the natural counter to AfO, or simular people with an overpowered quirk but no physical transmutations.
    He can after all not create quirks, only steal and bestow them. So he cant make a quirk to counter Aizawa's gaze, even though his monsters would eat the poor teacher in seconds.

Not just to push people away he can outright change the weather with a single punch, admittedly that was before he gave away OfA.

Personally I think OfA takes itself into account when measuring the persons 100% to pass on so the first passed on only his strength so the next person had two peoples worth of strength but then the third had his own strength, the strength of his predecessor when they where using AfO at 100% and the strength of the first, so four people. So on and so forth, that would mean OfAs strength would increase logarithmically (I think that's the right word.)

So now we're at the 9th user the power has become rather ridiculous. (I do think Quirks are reasonably recent but OfA users don't have a very long lifespan so that doesn't seem to strange, I got the number from when he fought the brainwashing guy in the tourney.)

6. - Top - End - #336

NecromancerGuy

Well, but if quirks are genetic, or most are said to be passing it on is... really weird.

Also: sidenote, how long has OfA bee around? IIRC the backstory said since about the age of quirks began but wasn't that kind of recent? Like only a few generations/decades ago?
    I'm going to estimate less than 40 years. I get a middle-aged to late-middle-aged vibe from AfO, and OfA was originally AfO's little brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm going to estimate less than 40 years. I get a middle-aged to late-middle-aged vibe from AfO, and OfA was originally AfO's little brother.
    Dekus mum is the fourth generation in her family with a quirk, so four generations at least since quirks first appeared, AfO has been stated outright to have a quirk that stops ageing and you can't really take technological levels into account since at one point Deku stated that the emergence of quirks and following unrest set the level of progress so far that people have said that without quirks humanity in that world would be enjoying interstellar travel. (Chp 1, Chp 59)

8. - Top - End - #338

Random aside: I'm not a big fan of this type of stuff but I kinda want to see an AU where Deku did inherit his parent's Quirks, only mixing them. I imagine he'd basically be able to create orbiting balls of fire that twirl around him like a planet.

Would make his romance with Uraraka oddly fitting seeing as how she has gravity powers, and he's basically a star system.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: chapter 93
    Show

Well. I really like the imagery of All Might clinging to that tiny flame that's keeping him alive. AND I REALLY LOVE THE DRIVE AND THE WHOLE CONVERSATION OF TEACHER VS TEACHER.

Mainly focusing again on the art and the author's usage of a flame image to show both how pitiful the power he has left is, and also just how much it's his only salvation. JUST YESSSSS.

10. - Top - End - #340

Hey now, I think what I said has some fact to it as well. Look at like...the scenes in this very chapter. We clearly see just how intense All Might's ideals are, and how far they drive him.

I've actually talked with my friend about that and...we're not sure. Aizawa erases the powers of those he looks at as long as they're activatable powers. Is One for All an activated power or a permanent one? Because what it SEEMS like, is that the user has to "turn it on". But their power is "always on" they just have to actively use that much strength. They always have that strength, they just control how they use it, like any regular human. So...I think Eraserhead would actually not be able to turn his power off, because it's never really "off" in the first place, if you catch my drift?

...oh you said All For One. Oops. Yeah Eraserhead'd probably do well since I'm pretty sure every power he uses is an activated one, so he'd turn them all off.

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    Spoiler: chapter 93
    Show

Well. I really like the imagery of All Might clinging to that tiny flame that's keeping him alive. AND I REALLY LOVE THE DRIVE AND THE WHOLE CONVERSATION OF TEACHER VS TEACHER.

Mainly focusing again on the art and the author's usage of a flame image to show both how pitiful the power he has left is, and also just how much it's his only salvation. JUST YESSSSS.
    Spoiler
    Show

The art is stunning and I love it. Seeing his broken skeleton body cradle that fire...it's beautiful and reminds me of Dark Souls.

Speaking of which, look at All Might's hand in the last page. He uh...doesn't have it any more. It got squished into his arm, I'm pretty sure.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

What i liked about this chapter is in large part how it gave some new views on who AM really were, behind the cover of OfA.

I've actually talked with my friend about that and...we're not sure. Aizawa erases the powers of those he looks at as long as they're activatable powers. Is One for All an activated power or a permanent one? Because what it SEEMS like, is that the user has to "turn it on". But their power is "always on" they just have to actively use that much strength. They always have that strength, they just control how they use it, like any regular human. So...I think Eraserhead would actually not be able to turn his power off, because it's never really "off" in the first place, if you catch my drift?
    If this were the case then i dont think Deku would have as much trouble with using his new gift though. If it was a permanent physological modification to his entire system then it would just have been on from day one, allowing him operate on full capacity, and making his main issue be of leaning to avoid walking though doors or shattering pencils each time he got excited.

But if it was a permanent modification of the body, then it makes a lot less sense that its then afterwards lost when you pass it on to a new champion. That sort of thing fits a lot better with an active power, of the sort that Aizawa can erase.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not entirely clear on what's happening. Did All Might use his right arm to absorb and redirect the impact of AFO's final super attack? Seems like a technique he'd know for fighting against comparably strong opponents (he must have met a few in his career).

Endeavour's going to be even more bitter if All Might dies I think. And then probably pressure his son even more. Though, the image of his wife and son in his internal monologue suggests...regret? Acknowledgement of how far he went? It's hard to tell.

Also, old people really shrink a lot in manga (Gran Torino).

Did Jeanist Die?

One thing I considered about Bakugou, is that he might actually be a "hero", just not a comicbook superhero. Classical heroes of myth were basically considered so because of their fighting strength, body count, and their ability to overcome challenges, not necessarily because of their morality or civic-mindedness. Less Superman and more Achilles basically.

EDIT: Mange -> Manga
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2016-06-03 at 05:13 AM.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not entirely clear on what's happening. Did All Might use his right arm to absorb and redirect the impact of AFO's final super attack? Seems like a technique he'd know for fighting against comparably strong opponents (he must have met a few in his career).

Endeavour's going to be even more bitter if All Might dies I think. And then probably pressure his son even more. Though, the image of his wife and son in his internal monologue suggests...regret? Acknowledgement of how far he went? It's hard to tell.

Also, old people really shrink a lot in manga (Gran Torino).

Did Jeanist Die?

One thing I considered about Bakugou, is that he might actually be a "hero", just not a comicbook superhero. Classical heroes of myth were basically considered so because of their fighting strength, body count, and their ability to overcome challenges, not necessarily because of their morality or civic-mindedness. Less Superman and more Achilles basically.

EDIT: Mange -> Manga
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as we know Jeanist is alive just knocked out. I doubt he's dead. Also yeah old people shrinking is a thing.

Yeah that's basically what All Might did. He took the blow and moved it's impact, along with all the remaining power he has, into his other arm to deliver a strong as hell hook to A4O's face. It did uh...basically destroy his other arm though.

I do think, in his heart, Endeavor feels really bad about what he's done. He doesn't regret it because he's an *******, but he does feel bad about what happened.

Makes sense, though I'll note that as far as anti heroes go, Bakugou is right up in there. He's not afraid of going far enough TO kill, at least as far as he's said. That's pretty anti-heroish.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Also yeah old people shrinking is a thing.
    I honestly think its one of the more dumb things in manga, cant find any sense in it myself whatsoever.

Yeah that's basically what All Might did. He took the blow and moved it's impact, along with all the remaining power he has, into his other arm to deliver a strong as hell hook to A4O's face. It did uh...basically destroy his other arm though.
    Its not the way i read it, the text for impact reversal seemed to come from AfO, it it looked like it was his plan as he defeat AM in his own game, by crushing his arm when their fists meet.
    AM were however able to gather enough remnants of his power to push his other arm back into the muscular state. And AfO were not really in any position to block when that unexpected final hit smashed his face.

That is a good point, he would also fit in well among the heroes of nordic mythology, like Beowulf.

Makes sense, though I'll note that as far as anti heroes go, Bakugou is right up in there. He's not afraid of going far enough TO kill, at least as far as he's said. That's pretty anti-heroish.
    I do think anything that Bakugo says need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially since he seems to have a really, really foul mouth. I mean, its not like he does not also often tell people to eat ****..

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly think its one of the more dumb things in manga, cant find any sense in it myself whatsoever.

Its not the way i read it, the text for impact reversal seemed to come from AfO, it it looked like it was his plan as he defeat AM in his own game, by crushing his arm when their fists meet.
    AM were however able to gather enough remnants of his power to push his other arm back into the muscular state. And AfO were not really in any position to block when that unexpected final hit smashed his face.

That is a good point, he would also fit in well among the heroes of nordic mythology, like Beowulf.

I do think anything that Bakugo says need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially since he seems to have a really, really foul mouth. I mean, its not like he does not also often tell people to eat ****..
    Isn't old people shrinking a remnant of the pre-table generation in japan being considerably smaller than more recent ones? Or is that an urban myth?

I also took it the Impact reversal was from AfO. I thought it was another quirk, though.

Bakugou... well, he is a haro who wants to... be good. He wants to be like AM. He just has a very different approach. And no, I don't think he'd kill, except if a villain forced him to. Maybe?
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

I can vouch for all my grandparents shrinking in stature because of spinal problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

17. - Top - End - #347

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I can vouch for all my grandparents shrinking in stature because of spinal problems.
    Yeah that's what I meant. It's like a thing "in real life".

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah that's what I meant. It's like a thing "in real life".
    I don't doubt that people lose height and maybe hunch a bit more as they reach their golden years. The deterioration seems to be exaggerated beyond reason in certain manga though. Images of Gran Torino in flashbacks would suggest that he was not the Yoda lookalike we see today. He would have had to suffer some serious health problems (arthritis, osteoporosis) to lose that much height, which would also preclude him from being able to test Deku and fight Noumu the way he did.

The first site I clicked on after Googling cites an average of two (men) or three (women) inches lost between the ages of 30 and 80. Another puts it between 1 and 3 inches, not specifying gender. TvTropes seems to lean along the same lines.

Ultimately it's a minor (lol) thing, I guess. Chalk it up to art style.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

I also took it the Impact reversal was from AfO. I thought it was another quirk, though.
    It has to be another quirk, its not like there are other ways to do that.

I don't doubt that people lose height and maybe hunch a bit more as they reach their golden years. The deterioration seems to be exaggerated beyond reason in certain manga though. Images of Gran Torino in flashbacks would suggest that he was not the Yoda lookalike we see today. He would have had to suffer some serious health problems (arthritis, osteoporosis) to lose that much height, which would also preclude him from being able to test Deku and fight Noumu the way he did.
    And even that would not have reduced the size of his limbs to that degree. It is kinda grating on me because its pushed to such an absurd degree.

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post

The first site I clicked on after Googling cites an average of two (men) or three (women) inches lost between the ages of 30 and 80. Another puts it between 1 and 3 inches, not specifying gender. TvTropes seems to lean along the same lines.

Ultimately it's a minor (lol) thing, I guess. Chalk it up to art style.
    It's probably just an art style, but something to keep in mind.

Dude has air vents in his body that let him spoosh out air that lets him have super speed and fly. Dude's got hollow bones. Maybe this is just a consequence of his being a hero for so long?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe this is just a consequence of his being a hero for so long?
    Nahh... its not that.. because if so then i think Deku would have freaked more over his apperance.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

So... I usually don't do that but I thought I'd do a shameless plug for something I like: It's the first few chapters of Hero Academia read/narrated.
    Spoiler
    Show

I actually came across it because of their comic book videos and, yes, he brutally butchers some pronunciations, but I love the passion the guy has for the stories he tells. So, yeah, if anyone cares to watch it, there it is.
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Nahh... its not that.. because if so then i think Deku would have freaked more over his apperance.
    Yeah, and Recovery Girl is drawn in a similar fashion.

Besides that, this series is filled to the brim with whimsical body shapes, it's part of the charm.

24. - Top - End - #354

So... I usually don't do that but I thought I'd do a shameless plug for something I like: It's the first few chapters of Hero Academia read/narrated.
    Spoiler
    Show

I actually came across it because of their comic book videos and, yes, he brutally butchers some pronunciations, but I love the passion the guy has for the stories he tells. So, yeah, if anyone cares to watch it, there it is.
    That's pretty cool. Not the biggest fan of dramatic reasons, but I like it. Also the more people who are into western comic books that get into manga because of My Hero the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Yeah, and Recovery Girl is drawn in a similar fashion.

Besides that, this series is filled to the brim with whimsical body shapes, it's part of the charm.
    True. And yes, the character designs in this are always great. It's why I was pretty excited for Barrage of the Battlestar, because it'd give the mangaka (who is quite good at drawing crazy lookin' monsters) the ability to draw basically anything basically "because aliens". But he gave a good out for allowing it here too so it all works.

You know, that also reminds me that I think Horikoshi is one of the only really popular manga artists out there right now who excels at making female characters look distinct. Compare say, Oda and One Piece, which is VERY good but often has the problem of "the guy can't really draw woman that uniquely". He's getting better of course, but constrast Nico Robin vs Nami to...any female character vs any other female character in My Hero. It'll be quite clear who's better at drawing more unique body types.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, manga-ka like Mashima seem to have a clear shape in mind for their female characters which is both easy to draw and conveys the feminine form simply, but becomes a repetitive staple to their art. So that, well... Erza's got roughly the same physique as Lucy, regardless. Sometime he'll throw out some different looking female characters, but these aren't the ones he'll be expected to draw all the time. Not that his designs are bad, but they sometimes feel like they were made from shifting sliders on an RPG's character generator.

I think Horikoshi on the other hand really likes the character design process, even characters who barely appear seem like fully formed ideas he's been carrying around for a while and really wants to get on page, and seems to be willing to put up with any extra effort that would require.

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Yeah, manga-ka like Mashima seem to have a clear shape in mind for their female characters which is both easy to draw and conveys the feminine form simply, but becomes a repetitive staple to their art. So that, well... Erza's got roughly the same physique as Lucy, regardless. Sometime he'll throw out some different looking female characters, but these aren't the ones he'll be expected to draw all the time. Not that his designs are bad, but they sometimes feel like they were made from shifting sliders on an RPG's character generator.

I think Horikoshi on the other hand really likes the character design process, even characters who barely appear seem like fully formed ideas he's been carrying around for a while and really wants to get on page, and seems to be willing to put up with any extra effort that would require.
    A few times we've actually gotten some cameos from his first series, Omagadouki (the snake hair lady and the killer whale in a tuxedo that was with Best Jeanist being the most stand out and obvious examples) so that definitely seems accurate to me. The dude loves designing characters, but not in the way that Kubo Tite does where he just vomits out cloths on everyone he wants to make.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. i dont mind the exotic body shapes as much, what kinda annoyes me is purely how far the elder shriking is being overdone.

You know, that also reminds me that I think Horikoshi is one of the only really popular manga artists out there right now who excels at making female characters look distinct. Compare say, Oda and One Piece, which is VERY good but often has the problem of "the guy can't really draw woman that uniquely". He's getting better of course, but constrast Nico Robin vs Nami to...any female character vs any other female character in My Hero. It'll be quite clear who's better at drawing more unique body type
    Fair point, i normally dont think to much about it in OP, because Nico Robin and Nami has sufficiently different personalities to make me focus on that instead, making their physical simularity with other womans less obvious to me.
    But again, i guess its something thats less obvious to a guy.

28. - Top - End - #358

Well.. i dont mind the exotic body shapes as much, what kinda annoyes me is purely how far the elder shriking is being overdone.

Fair point, i normally dont think to much about it in OP, because Nico Robin and Nami has sufficiently different personalities to make me focus on that instead, making their physical simularity with other womans less obvious to me.
    But again, i guess its something thats less obvious to a guy.
    A better example would be Rebecca from the last arc. Outside of her armor she's...REALLY close to Nami.

And yeah I agree with that. I hope we get some good ole silver foxes to add to the series to. Refined older gentleheroes would be nice to see.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Punchline being that they are like 32.

Remember, if your older the 25 in anime, your an old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

We were already shown that Aizawa can negate Deku's power back in the first class/physical exam thing he did on day 1 of class, so I'd assume it wouldn't be diferent with AM.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.