New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Man this is so great. I don't remember this have been posted in this thread before, but I might've missed it. Apparently Kouhei sent a fanart to Usopp Pirate Gallery 10 years ago. And now Oda is showing it with pride.

Spoiler
    Show

You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Man this is so great. I don't remember this have been posted in this thread before, but I might've missed it. Apparently Kouhei sent a fanart to Usopp Pirate Gallery 10 years ago. And now Oda is showing it with pride.

Spoiler
    Show

...man. That's ****ing AMAZING.

Also of course it's Smoker. Hell yeah.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Won't he live forever? I think living comfortably in a cell is not a fate worse then death.

A fate worse then death would be buried in concrete and then dropped into a deep pit and the any data about the location is deleted.
    If you think being restrained all day, trapped in a small room with no contact to the outside, which is what he will be getting, not the Japanese standard cells, is a comfortable way to live your life.... It my not be the big example of a fate worse than death, but it's no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ...man. That's ****ing AMAZING.

Also of course it's Smoker. Hell yeah.
    Hahahaha This is awesome. Also, now I imagine Smoker as the Symbol of Peace in OP. Geez, Kouhei, now I want you to make an OP crossover.

edit: New episode was amazing. Too bad AM makes most other super heroes look inadequate.
    Last edited by Kato; 2016-06-19 at 05:11 AM.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

If you think being restrained all day, trapped in a small room with no contact to the outside, which is what he will be getting, not the Japanese standard cells, is a comfortable way to live your life.... It my not be the big example of a fate worse than death, but it's no fun.
    Yeah.. as i said.. living the rest of your life in a little box, being unable to move, people have gone mad from less. And it is both unnececary and a human right violation of such dimensions it should send everyone involved in prison themselves.

Hahahaha This is awesome. Also, now I imagine Smoker as the Symbol of Peace in OP. Geez, Kouhei, now I want you to make an OP crossover.
    It is indeed awesome.. and i kinda think Smoker could have been a good symbol of peace, if he only were stronger. He seems to be one of the most just marines.
    If only he had conquers Haki or a elemental logia.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Honestly the reason he isn't dead or dropped into an active volcano or launched into space is because there needs to be a breakout later.

Thats the only reason. Its nonsensical to believe that this prison will last forever otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

6. - Top - End - #396

Well...I mean it also begs the question of "can you actually kill him?"

Not morally, but like...literally? He has regen is it actually possible to kill him?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

From the damage displayed, it seems quite possible to kill him.

And again they didn't say "Because they couldn't kill him". They said because it was a fate worse then death.

It would be worthwhile to at least try, because that way you can judge the limits of his powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

edit: New episode was amazing. Too bad AM makes most other super heroes look inadequate.
    The anime has a slow start, but it's finishing with a bang. Any word on a second season?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea that fight was great, the music design was good as always as well.

But just look at how powerful it means Deku is going to be if Five hits at his prime would have beaten Nomu then Deku at his prime will be even stronger. (That's why I'd say the final fight against AfO will be the first time we see Deku able to go 100% without restraint. Followed by a flash forward.)

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Family business
    Show

Okay, first off: Bakugou's mom is hilarious. As is his dad. I actually laughed out loud at her.
    Also, I didn't recognize Aizawa at first.

What happened to Ragdoll again? They tried to Nomu her or something...?

The bit with... earplug girl (sorry, too terrible memory) was nice as well, but not as funny as the Katsukis.

Lastly Izuku's mom... I see her point but... hell did you never consider that before? Maybe she just thought "oh well, my kid will never be a hero, why worry about it?" but he's a hero for months now. She must realize this is dangerous. I wonder if AM will convince her or Izuku or... he'll just run away?
    btw, was there ever an explanation why she gained so much weight? Wasn't she pretty slim when Izuku was younger? I know people change but with her it just seems weird.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #401

Show

Okay, first off: Bakugou's mom is hilarious. As is his dad. I actually laughed out loud at her.

The bit with... earplug girl (sorry, too terrible memory) was nice as well, but not as funny as the Katsukis.

Lastly Izuku's mom... I see her point but... hell did you never consider that before? Maybe she just thought "oh well, my kid will never be a hero, why worry about it?" but he's a hero for months now. She must realize this is dangerous. I wonder if AM will convince her or Izuku or... he'll just run away?
    btw, was there ever an explanation why she gained so much weight? Wasn't she pretty slim when Izuku was younger? I know people change but with her it just seems weird.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually agree with where she's going with this discussion.

Injuries are expected in training for heroics, but her son has literally been destroying his body since the day he gained One For All. Every fight has ended with his limbs broken, the televised one had him fighting with an already broken arm that ended with him needing surgeory. Hell, his fight during the training trip had his limbs broken enough that if he ever goes that far again he'll be unable to use it.

Izuku is not even an adult yet. Without a healing quirk in the school he'd have already been out of school for months with those broken limbs.

She's literally making the correct decision for his life because she's seen how far he's decided to go. She sees the terrible damage that can come from these fights and has decided, as her son's guardian, that the school has not kept her son safe.

All Might and the rest of the teachers agree that he's putting himself into horrible situations again and again, that he needs to back off, that he needs to tone it down before he wrecks his body completely.

I can't really find fault with her argument here.

EDIT: If we get into what the school is supposed to be doing, they fail at that a lot with regards to Deku as well. The opening exam he broke both his legs and an arm, their training session had him breaking his arm again while everyone else had minor injuries. The attack on USJ, legs broken again while everyone else beyond the teachers have minor injuries. Then we get to the Sports Festival arc where he's doing fine and suffering minor injuries.

Until he gets to Todoroki, these are 1v1 fights where the students have cuts, burns, scrapes and everything, and once again it's only Deku who breaks his limbs. Hell, him going past the point where his body can handle it is his only option. He goes into this fight with another student knowing that he's going to have to break his own fingers to win.

He counts too much on the Healing Quirk and on the Nurse actually coming by to heal him up everytime he decides that he has no choice but to break his limbs to win.

Edit2: Sorry for some of the wording here, but this has been what's bothering me about Deku for quite some time. He's too reckless, especially as someone who's supposed to be part of the next generation of heroes.

Apparently this post is too short, so have some extra.
    Last edited by Merellis; 2016-06-23 at 10:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ragdoll got messed up by the Noumu with chainsaw arms and then stuff happened to her off screen, likely due to All For One's meddling. It's entirely possible something involving her quirk got "broken" like how Eraserhead's busted up eye bones weakened his power.

I'm of two worlds with Bakugou's Mom, because on the one hand abuse isn't really funny...but on the other Bakugou is the type of kid who probably needed to be spanked as a kid. His Dad being chill as hell is great though. The scene with Bakugou asking All Might "what is Deku to you?" is really great, too.

I think she KNEW it would be dangerous, but she wasn't aware HOW dangerous. She never expected her poor little boy to get wounded so badly IN SCHOOL that he may never be able to use his arm again if it happens again. As a parent it would be horrifying to see that.

As for why his Mom is chufty, it's...actually kinda sad. The last time we see her slim is when she's hugging Deku after he learned he's quirkless...and she apologizes to him. We know that this kinda messed Deku up as a kid, or at least that she feels it did, and that's why. She realizes she said the wrong thing and the stress of her caused her to eat more. This kinda thing happens and it's sad. I think it'll be Deku's Dad that convinces her, because it'll be a good reveal. Maybe he'll sign on as a teacher.

Also yeah, Jirou's scene wasn't as funny as Bakugou's, but I'm glad we got to see some of the kid's parents! That's actually a thing I wanted to see recently...sadly it's also a way that we'll likely reduce the cast a little. I can't see Shining Brilliantly's parents allowing their poor tum tum laser boy to continue with this, given he's so frightened by it all.

Also Jirou's got a shirt on that says DEEP DOPE and it's got an arrow pointing down. A little...TOO down. You can tell her Dad is okay with anything because of that shirt.

13. - Top - End - #403

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I can see where Deku's mom is coming from. You gotta admit that Deku's going through a lot of physical abuse for a first year student. He is literally harming himself via activation of his powers, at least early on, to say nothing about the unusual amount of Villain attention his group has seen. UA's track record about that hasn't been the greatest either. They've tried their best, the teachers and the staff, but as a parent she has legitimate concerns.

Being a hero, as we've seen, isn't necessarily about getting into life and death fights. It's also about helping people. She probably expected Deku to do something along the lines of Space Hero 13 and similar.

Practically though, I think UA is the best place for Deku to develop his abilities, and keep him safe from Villains. Won't be hard for Shigaraki and co to find out where he lives, if you think about it.

Great to see Kacchan and Jirou's family.

Looks like the heritability of One For All is still a secret?
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I wouldn't say Katsuki gets abused... a decent strict upbringing with a bit of a mouth on the mom... it's just where he gets his speaking from.

I'm still a bit put off about Izuku's mom's weight.... she'd really feel that guilty about one small misstep like that?

I don't say I don't see where she's coming from, it's pretty clear but... he won't be safe at home. Okay, she doesn't know he's the new target but telling her might help?
    "What's done is done."

16. - Top - End - #406

Spoiler
    Show

I wouldn't say Katsuki gets abused... a decent strict upbringing with a bit of a mouth on the mom... it's just where he gets his speaking from.

I'm still a bit put off about Izuku's mom's weight.... she'd really feel that guilty about one small misstep like that?

I don't say I don't see where she's coming from, it's pretty clear but... he won't be safe at home. Okay, she doesn't know he's the new target but telling her might help?
    Spoiler
    Show

I feel like All Might is going to tell her the secret. That may convince her. Showing how important Deku is, how much this man trusts HIM. Don't put your faith in UA if you don't want to...but trust that your son's decision was the right one.

Well, she doesn't see it as a misstep. She figures it messed up his entire life...and given how depressed and worthless Deku is at the start of the series she's not wrong.

17. - Top - End - #407

Latest chapter spoilers, and answers for some questions asked by others:

Spoiler
    Show
    It's obvious what happened to Ragdoll - All For One stole her Quirk. He even said that her Quirk was useful so he's going to take it, and a little before that All Might explained that people whose powers All For One stole weren't the same afterwards. At least she's not braindead like the Noumus.

Yes, Deku is a target and it's better for him to move to the dorms - but his mom doesn't know that. Nobody told her, especially not Deku himself. In general he's used to keeping things hidden from her.

I don't think Deku's mom got fat because of stress/guilt overeating. I think it's just hormones.
    Last edited by tensai_oni; 2016-06-23 at 06:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally I don't think that DekuMom's weight gain over the years is necessarily indicative of anything. If you don't make an effort to keep your figure, you'll lose it is all

Edit: I suck at doing this from a phone.
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2016-06-23 at 06:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409

Are we really discussing a woman's weight gain as if it's some dark secret shame that made her stop being skinny?

People put on weight. It sort of happens all the time.

20. - Top - End - #410

I think people forgot that a whole decade happened between the flashbacks and the main time of the series. Maybe if it was a month it'd be unusual to put on a visible amount of weight but hey. It's been years. Things happen.

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    Are we really discussing a woman's weight gain as if it's some dark secret shame that made her stop being skinny?

Sorry, I may of gotten a bit full of myself there. She probably just put on weight, it happens. It doesn't help that Deku's Mom looks like mine XP

22. - Top - End - #412
    Barbarian in the Playground

After thinking it over I think All For One's ultimate fate is pretty obvious. Shiragaki is going to break him out. Then A4O is going to congratulate him saying that masterminding the breakout of such a nigh-impenetrable place is proof that he's matured and is ready to become his own man. Then he'll transfer all of his powers to Shiragaki including the regeneration that keeps him alive and die in Shiragaki's arms while giving a farewell speech.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    After thinking it over I think All For One's ultimate fate is pretty obvious. Shiragaki is going to break him out. Then A4O is going to congratulate him saying that masterminding the breakout of such a nigh-impenetrable place is proof that he's matured and is ready to become his own man. Then he'll transfer all of his powers to Shiragaki including the regeneration that keeps him alive and die in Shiragaki's arms while giving a farewell speech.
    Yea I could see this happening. AFO seems to take his mentoring very seriously.

It's interesting that All Might, Endeavor, and All For One are all trying to raise successors but with wildly different motives and methods.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

24. - Top - End - #414

NecromancerGuy

Ahh, and in this chapter here we see
    Spoiler: All Might(Toshinori)'s Greatest Challenge
    Show
    Persuasive Argument!

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    It's interesting that All Might, Endeavor, and All For One are all trying to raise successors but with wildly different motives and methods.
    Memento Mori, yo. Gotta have a legacy, especially as a super.

It does seem to be contrasted a lot that the last time she was skinny in his childhood was when the proverbial excrement hit the oscillating unit.

Not in fiction!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mothers put blame on themselves for a lot of things. Especially if their child has a developmental or genetic abnormality/flaw that isn't definitively due to the father passing on bad genes.

Also, totally not a small misstep in either her mind or her child's mind, but instead a deeply traumatic bad reaction to finding out that you/your child is never going to be able to grow up and live a normal life.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-06-24 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ahh, and in this chapter here we see
    Spoiler: All Might(Toshinori)'s Greatest Challenge
    Show
    Persuasive Argument!
    It is amusing how teacher-y this whole chapter was. The kind of scene I've seen played out in numerous school-based J/K-dramas, done completely straight.

It's actually pretty interesting that My Hero Academia - particularly in this arc - really tries to maintain the sense of normality underlying its whole reality. I mean the whole thing with the school's staff dressing up in business suits while managing a reserved and apologetic tone with the usual diplomatic terms and phrases endemic to these sort of press events in the wake of major catastrophes and the like, it's an interesting mix to a manga characterized by super-powered battles, and vibrant characters often with somewhat outlandish designs.

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    It is amusing how teacher-y this whole chapter was. The kind of scene I've seen played out in numerous school-based J/K-dramas, done completely straight.

It's actually pretty interesting that My Hero Academia - particularly in this arc - really tries to maintain the sense of normality underlying its whole reality. I mean the whole thing with the school's staff dressing up in business suits while managing a reserved and apologetic tone with the usual diplomatic terms and phrases endemic to these sort of press events in the wake of major catastrophes and the like, it's an interesting mix to a manga characterized by super-powered battles, and vibrant characters often with somewhat outlandish designs.
    Honestly that's one of the things I like the most about My Hero. We have Eraserhead, this obvious Japanese styled Batman figure in a track suit and huge scarves that he can use to mess people up, wearing a cow catcher on his face and with big bushy hair to obscure people's view of his vision so he can effortlessly tap people down with his eye powers.

And then you see him dressed up in a professional business suit, all that hair tied back as respectively as possible, the only sign that he's him being his dead eye stare, his stubble, and the scar on his face from when a Noumu busted his ocular bone up so hard it crippled his power, just a little.

This manga sells it's "this is a real world" feel immensely. It's part of the themes and I love it, that heroes are people, not just symbols. It's why All Might is THAT impressive. Despite it all he tries, and continues to try, to be that unhuman symbol of peace. It's to the degree that even at his most human he's still cartoonish, compared to the relatively regular looking Eraserhead.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, she doesn't see it as a misstep. She figures it messed up his entire life...and given how depressed and worthless Deku is at the start of the series she's not wrong.
    Oh come on, that's not true. He's not worthless. He still does his journal, he's a decent pupil at school, he might be a bit of a joke among his fellow pupils but he's not depressed and worthless all the time. I mean, admittedly, having your childhood dream crushed sucks but how many other people couldn't be what they wanted to be when they were four? I'm not depressed and worthless because I never got to be an astronaut.

While I don't like the thought, the more widespread believe as far as I can tell is: These things just happen in real life. But in a well written story things don't happen without a reason. Not large shifts in looks like this. Heck, anime characters usually need a reason to get a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Also, totally not a small misstep in either her mind or her child's mind, but instead a deeply traumatic bad reaction to finding out that you/your child is never going to be able to grow up and live a normal life.
    Geez, I'm reminded of Korra... Not having a quirk doesn't mean you don't have a normal life, not being a hero even less so. He's a healthy human boy, he can totally live a normal life (what was the number of quirkless people? 20%? That's a lot) See above in regards to not getting to live your dreams but not living a normal life is even more untrue.
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Firbolg in the Playground

And it's also a trope that's prevalent in anime that slim mom turn overweight. It happens all the time. It's in fact not just in manga and anime just... something in the culture's general mind. As this joke pic.

Spoiler
    Show

It's the same thing as old people turning into dwarves. Just a common shorthand/sterotype of aging.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #419

Oh come on, that's not true. He's not worthless. He still does his journal, he's a decent pupil at school, he might be a bit of a joke among his fellow pupils but he's not depressed and worthless all the time. I mean, admittedly, having your childhood dream crushed sucks but how many other people couldn't be what they wanted to be when they were four? I'm not depressed and worthless because I never got to be an astronaut.

Geez, I'm reminded of Korra... Not having a quirk doesn't mean you don't have a normal life, not being a hero even less so. He's a healthy human boy, he can totally live a normal life (what was the number of quirkless people? 20%? That's a lot) See above in regards to not getting to live your dreams but not living a normal life is even more untrue.
    Er, meant to clarify "that he FEELS" that way. He isn't actually, as we can SEE from those notebooks. He just feels that way. Sorry!

That's true, and I think that's also something this series will touch on eventually.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Its funny to point out though, that Bakugo's mom were looking a lot more fit.

And kinda funny that was the easiest family to deal with
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar