New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Snipe's quirk definitely has to do with the position of a person and how his bullets can reach them at a VERY VERY far distance. Whether or not he has X-Ray vision has not been revealed, but it wouldn't surprise me.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Also Toshinori was quirkless as well, if I recall.
    Your correct, we were told that early in the manga.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #453
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Your correct, we were told that early in the manga.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, but now that One For All is out, he truly is quirkless now.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Colossus in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    An impassioned speech, plus showing off that letter Kota gave Deku for saving his life. Izuka's Mom realizes that this man Deku's looked up to...HE'S looking up to Deku now, in a sense. She has to let him go, regardless of the pain it might bring. She just needs to trust in Deku.

This was fantastic.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Orc in the Playground

How long does it usually take for it to get out on fan translations?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

The more this goes on the more I find myself finding this whole thing stupid.

A whole big fight about going to a school all about Promoting a stupid elitist attitude to what heroics really is. I'm supposed to find this touching, but I just can't help but just pity real people who have to live like this. Where all their successes are defined by which school you go too.

This is morally ****ed up in the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    The more this goes on the more I find myself finding this whole thing stupid.

A whole big fight about going to a school all about Promoting a stupid elitist attitude to what heroics really is. I'm supposed to find this touching, but I just can't help but just pity real people who have to live like this. Where all their successes are defined by which school you go too.

This is morally ****ed up in the head.
    What are you talking about the whole chapter was basically Deku will become the best no matter which School he goes to but he wants to go to UA because his idol went to it. As for not wanting to live in that world: Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Harvard four names that would be recognised as even more selective and elitist that UA is even close to being, At least UA is completely based on competence.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    What are you talking about the whole chapter was basically Deku will become the best no matter which School he goes to but he wants to go to UA because his idol went to it. As for not wanting to live in that world: Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Harvard four names that would be recognised as even more selective and elitist that UA is even close to being, At least UA is completely based on competence.
    Yeah, sorry man, but that's just how the world works. That's not to say other stories from that world wouldn't be interesting too. I'm sure heroes of a "lower class" would have some interesting adventures as well, however, this is the story we have been offered, so I say just roll with it.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    The part where Izuku's mom tells All Might that he is Deku's idol and she wants him not to die, but to live on and be there for him.

That was great.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I found the best crossover ever.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #461
    Orc in the Playground

I'm sorry, what?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Zigwat; 2016-06-30 at 04:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    What are you talking about the whole chapter was basically Deku will become the best no matter which School he goes to but he wants to go to UA because his idol went to it.
    That's very superficial and the type of motivation most characters should overgrow. So our character fights FOR the status quo even though its wrong.

As for not wanting to live in that world: Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, Harvard four names that would be recognised as even more selective and elitist that UA is even close to being, At least UA is completely based on competence.
    Right and we have stories about how thats wrong and unfair. At least for things like "Hero".

this is the story we have been offered, so I say just roll with it.
    This is all very VERY standard for anime. Somebody must enter only that Highschool, because raisins (Because thats the Japanese School System or something), and then tournament arc.

Its just what bothers me. This is NOT a Superhero story. This is just a bog standard anime story with superficial Western Superhero trappings. They might have been samurai, or ninjas, or Plobacadres (a Made up word) and it would have just as much to do.

I think Im done. Im bored of this sort of story. I think im done with MHA.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2016-06-30 at 04:30 PM.
    A little condescending

13. - Top - End - #463
    Orc in the Playground

That's fine dude, just lighten up, no one is forcing you to watch it.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zigwat View Post
    That's fine dude, just lighten up, no one is forcing you to watch it.
    So is the argument "Don't like Don't Read"? I will be doing that but Im posting up my criticism on this web forum because I like my reasoning debated.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2016-06-30 at 04:50 PM.
    A little condescending

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's very superficial and the type of motivation most characters should overgrow. So our character fights FOR the status quo even though its wrong.

Right and we have stories about how thats wrong and unfair. At least for things like "Hero".

This is all very VERY standard for anime. Somebody must enter only that Highschool, because raisins (Because thats the Japanese School System or something), and then tournament arc.

Its just what bothers me. This is NOT a Superhero story. This is just a bog standard anime story with superficial Western Superhero trappings. They might have been samurai, or ninjas, or Plobacadres (a Made up word) and it would have just as much to do.

I think Im done. Im bored of this sort of story. I think im done with MHA.
    Not really in the mood but I'll do a quick reply.

How old is Deku it's hardly unusual to still Idolise someone at his age, not to mention in this chapter he outright said if his mother was going to stick to her guns he would go to a different school. So he is obviously growing up, although honestly there's nothing wrong with trying to follow someone like All Might.

As for the stories saying how it's wrong, that's how the world is there is literally nothing he can do to change it, but the school isn't at fault. If your smart but don't have a quirk suitable to fighting villains (Or atleast Robots) you can still apply for the Non-hero courses remember the reason we're seeing all the emphasis being placed on the strength of someones quirk is because it's a hero course.

Yea it is a Shoen story but personally I think there's enough interesting and different things to make it worth my time, it's similar to Agents of Shield it might not redefine anything but it's a well put together story.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

So is the argument "Don't like Don't Read"? I will be doing that but Im posting up my criticism on this web forum because I like my reasoning debated.
    Its hard to argue against your criticism when its mainly personal oppinion.

Why it is wrong for him though? It is clearly the place with the resources to give him the bedst education in the specific field.
    And his first real friends are going there, as well as the girl he has clearly fallen for. Thats 3 very good reasons for him wanting to go there.

And one of the main concepts have been how the word hero would get used in a more "realistic" world. Most heroes are closer to pop stars or atlethes than anything else.
    It were the main theme of the Stain arc.

If anything its a passing the torch/ comming of age type of story in a realistic hero setting.
    Though of course All Might would like his heir to study at the place he were teaching. The place that at the same time had the bedst resources to protect him while he were still learning his powers.
    (its extremely important he is at a place with as good a medical facility as this one)

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Too late at night here to fight a dragon...

Spoiler: chapter
    Show

Am I the only one who still feels strange about Japanese attitude towards bowing? I've been reading manga for years now but when someone doing things like these it still feels totally strange and disjuncted from how normal people act, much more than being a super hero even.

That said, decent chapter even if not muh happened. But the problem was resolved in a decent way and I hope now the next action arc can star.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

No I mean I tend to see lots of "Guy with No Powers ends up having to prove his worth against those with superpowers" stories.

This is the only one where the guy goes "You know what? Forget all the injustices or whatever. POWER RULES".

Its not a "The Little Engine that Could" story. Its a "The Little engine that got a rocket thruster" story.

Its basic flaws of the narrative, wherien shonnen of this level is incapable of having a protagonist that can't just physically overpower his opponent (Or overpower with magic or the like).
    A little condescending

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Show

Am I the only one who still feels strange about Japanese attitude towards bowing? I've been reading manga for years now but when someone doing things like these it still feels totally strange and disjuncted from how normal people act, much more than being a super hero even.

That said, decent chapter even if not muh happened. But the problem was resolved in a decent way and I hope now the next action arc can star.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a little weird, yeah. I think that disconnect is what makes it so impactfull.

No I mean I tend to see lots of "Guy with No Powers ends up having to prove his worth against those with superpowers" stories.

This is the only one where the guy goes "You know what? Forget all the injustices or whatever. POWER RULES".

Its not a "The Little Engine that Could" story. Its a "The Little engine that got a rocket thruster" story.

Its basic flaws of the narrative, wherien shonnen of this level is incapable of having a protagonist that can't just physically overpower his opponent (Or overpower with magic or the like).
    I don't think you quite understand what this series is going for. This is the story of a super hero in training. It's still a little stereotypical with regards to how shonen series do their tropes, but that's to be expected given it's a Shonen magazine. And it still does things quite different. Deku can't just overwhelm his opponents...and if he TRIES he gets hurt a lot. If you really want a super diverse, anti shonen series, read World Trigger. IT's another good series and probably might be more up your ally.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Well the whole issue got resolved in the space of a chapter. Even after Deku said it was fine to study at some other school, his mum relents over a purely emotional plea without her earlier, perfectly valid, concerns actually being addressed*. I suppose the (former) number one hero saying he'll lay down his life to protect Deku is supposed to be reassuring but I don't actually feel that's enough. I'm assuming she doesn't know about One for All being transferable, or her son being a person of interest for the Villains?

I guess it could be a "let my kid live the life he chooses" angle. And I suppose it's great Deku gets to be with all his friends and the characters we already know.

*If a student shows up with a Quirk that breaks his own bones, teaching him not to do that should be a high priority, right? That seemed to be Aizawa's intent during the pitching test, but he put the onus on Deku to figure out a way how and it was only during his training with Gran Torino (who's not even a teacher there) that the kid figured out a workable system. Which he doesn't always stick to.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Firbolg in the Playground

Too late at night here to fight a dragon...

Show

Not as strange as french people attitude toward kissing or american people attitude about hugging, but hey, what do I know. I'm asian .

On Scowling Dragon, yeah, the best thing I can say is in the line of "Don't like it don't watch it," but it's not disparaging you. It's just because this doesn't seem to be the premise you're hoping for.

I'm not saying about Shonen tropes actually. It's just different premise from what you're expecting. From what I see you're expecting the premise to be more about Deku being quirkless batman that rage against the society and go Stain on the status quo. I'm not saying that it's a bad premise, in the hand of a competent storyteller it can be interesting, but it's just not the premise of this series.

It's like reading harry potter and getting annoyed that it's not a story about Hermione leading muggleborn on a revolution against Wizard opressors, or reading Game of Thrones and criticizing it that it's not a story about Arya and the Hound having adventure across the land and learning about friendship.

Basically, what you're saying is that "The story should go this way, because it's the moral/proper/logical/in-character things to do/happen." But it's actually more that "The story should go this way because I personally think/prefer that." Which isn't necessarily wrong, as I said, in a hand of a competent storyteller, the story of Batman-deku rebelling against hero society might be good. But the way the story goes is just as in-character and proper. I won't explain how, since a lot of other people had said it.
    Last edited by Fri; 2016-07-01 at 03:13 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a little weird, yeah. I think that disconnect is what makes it so impactfull.
    No, sorry, I have to disagree. When someone acts entirely not like a "normal person" to me that makes it strange. I mean, obviously, I realize it's normal for a Japanese person and if I bring that to mind it becomes impactful but my first conscious reaction is "the hel is he doing?".

Okay, I hate it when people say these things but I must now: You've been reading 100 chapters and only now realize it's not that kind of story? Ten chapter in it was clear Deku would be having great power at some point. If you are only now realizing this, you have indeed wasted a lot of your time.
    MHA has a few things other Shounen do not but it was quite clear early on it wouldn't be that different.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well the whole issue got resolved in the space of a chapter. Even after Deku said it was fine to study at some other school, his mum relents over a purely emotional plea without her earlier, perfectly valid, concerns actually being addressed*.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now that's unfair. No, they couldn't say "Izuku won't get hurt anymore" because it would be a lie. They can't make such a promise. But they did the best they could. Deku saying he'd become a hero any way and Toshinori pledging to do what he can to protect him. Yes, the plea was an emotional one but her concerns also were emotional. Yes, she was concerned for his well being but she was also willing to still have him be in danger... at a different highschool. Yay?

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Not as strange as french people attitude toward kissing or american people attitude about hugging, but hey, what do I know. I'm asian .
    I know what you mean and obviously there is a lot of cultural differences. Just out of curiosity, care to elaborate? Just the fact that French people tend to kiss anyone (which I think is much more an Italian thing) and that Americans... hug people?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #473
    Firbolg in the Playground

I know what you mean and obviously there is a lot of cultural differences. Just out of curiosity, care to elaborate? Just the fact that French people tend to kiss anyone (which I think is much more an Italian thing) and that Americans... hug people?
    Yeah, french/italian people kiss a lot more than what I'm used to (that is, not at all). On hugging (or to be more proper, physical space), it's just I'm used to have a lot more space between people in interaction or conversation.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Now that's unfair. No, they couldn't say "Izuku won't get hurt anymore" because it would be a lie. They can't make such a promise. But they did the best they could. Deku saying he'd become a hero any way and Toshinori pledging to do what he can to protect him. Yes, the plea was an emotional one but her concerns also were emotional. Yes, she was concerned for his well being but she was also willing to still have him be in danger... at a different highschool. Yay?

Spoiler
    Show
    She must have been feeling emotional, but I think her decision to pull Deku out of UA was logically sound. Assuming that she remains ignorant of One for All's true nature and the Villain's special interest in Deku, it's logical for her to think that the Villains are attacking and kidnapping UA students because it's UA (and/or UA has some major security issues) and that moving to a different school will avert the issue entirely. Feel free to prove me wrong on that though, I seriously can't be sure how much she knows. Her point regarding how much bodily harm Deku suffers, while under the care of UA, still hold regardless. Maybe less so with Deku having "unlocked" Full Cowl but a mother isn't going to forget her son breaking his own body on live television anytime soon.

We as readers know that Deku is on the Villains' radar and moving him anywhere else will make him less safe, but I don't know if she does.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

No, sorry, I have to disagree. When someone acts entirely not like a "normal person" to me that makes it strange. I mean, obviously, I realize it's normal for a Japanese person and if I bring that to mind it becomes impactful but my first conscious reaction is "the hel is he doing?".
    Yeah, it seems kinda weird for me to, but again, im from Europe. And its nice to have someone from another part of the world confirm that they actually do it like that over there. Broadens the horizont

On deku's Mom.

Spoiler
    Show

Actually i think her reasoning were kinda faulty, at least if she had spoken just a little with her son about how he got his injuries. By far the majority of them has been self-inflicted, and they are a result of him lacking control over his Quirk. Combining that with him running off on his own despite his teachers instructions, and it makes it clear he can easily get hurt as much any other place.

But i dont think she knows how big of a target her son is, i dont think anyone but AM knows. Actually though, im not certain if anyone but All for One knows who Deku is though, the danger might be less than expected.

And anyway, the world is full of examples of people letting emotions sway logic good logic, so i dont have an issue with Deku's mom changing her mind.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I hate it when people say these things but I must now: You've been reading 100 chapters and only now realize it's not that kind of story? Ten chapter in it was clear Deku would be having great power at some point. If you are only now realizing this, you have indeed wasted a lot of your time.
    MHA has a few things other Shounen do not but it was quite clear early on it wouldn't be that different.
    I kinda bought into the first 6 or so chapters, and then kinda it missed over my head until the late 90s chapters.
    A little condescending

27. - Top - End - #477

I kinda bought into the first 6 or so chapters, and then kinda it missed over my head until the late 90s chapters.
    Honestly, given he gets All For One so early, one would think it should be obvious we're not getting into anti establishment stuff

For what it's worth the manga's done some stuff I didn't expect either. I figured Deku wouldn't really do well during the training, until they went to the toe stretches, because they mentioned quirkless people have an extra bone in their toe that makes it slightly longer, so I figured he'd be able to touch his toes better. They went somewhere else with it and that's good, I feel.

28. - Top - End - #478

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Spoiler: New chapter
    Show
    The part where Izuku's mom tells All Might that he is Deku's idol and she wants him not to die, but to live on and be there for him.

That was great.
    Spoiler: New chapter continued
    Show
    Lady's got a point. Dude doesn't need a dead mentor, that stuff's just traumatizing.

She doesn't know it herself, probably, but dude also doesn't need a dead surrogate father figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #479
    Orc in the Playground

Now, my question is how exactly are they going to carry on with Deku? Seriously, if he's banged himself up this hard, how in the hell is going to carry on? They've pretty much said the damage he's done to his arm is more or less permanent, so what happens next? When he gets in trouble again, is he just going to break his entire arm off? That's the big problem I have with this manga as of yet. The struggle to become a hero is a hard one, I get that. Still, it just seems like if he were a jumbo jet, they are pretty much pushing him down into a head on collision with the ground.

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by Zigwat View Post
    Now, my question is how exactly are they going to carry on with Deku? Seriously, if he's banged himself up this hard, how in the hell is going to carry on? They've pretty much said the damage he's done to his arm is more or less permanent, so what happens next? When he gets in trouble again, is he just going to break his entire arm off? That's the big problem I have with this manga as of yet. The struggle to become a hero is a hard one, I get that. Still, it just seems like if he were a jumbo jet, they are pretty much pushing him down into a head on collision with the ground.
    He's getting better. Last time he managed to save the day as much as he could without breaking anything. His control is getting better.