New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Bakugou is basically deliberately written to be a jerkface, and he's a jerkface to everyone with basically no reason, so I doubt he's just being really extreme tsundere for Deku.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Bakugou is basically deliberately written to be a jerkface, and he's a jerkface to everyone with basically no reason, so I doubt he's just being really extreme tsundere for Deku.
    This is 100% correct but it's still a funny thought to me. Uraraka, potentially the mechanic girl, Toga...and Bakugou. Poor Deku.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Orc in the Playground

At least he has two potential love interests. This being a Bishounen, I sincerely doubt they're going to do to act on it. It very rarely happens, but it's nice when it does. Deku's making some serious strides in his time, and I really hope he gets a victory in some form soon. Uraraka seems like his type, so we'll see how it plays out, especially if they're going for a love triangle arc, which is very bold face at the moment.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    If we're being serious for a second I kinda feel like it'd be really interesting if Bakugou like, had an extreme crush on Deku and his obsessive rivalry is just him not getting it, or worse him thinking it's 'wrong' because everything else about him is 'right' for lack of a better term.
    Wait, wait, wait... I thought this was NOT Naruto? Am I confusing manga again?

I think it's quite clear Bakugou's hate towards Deku comes from him "looking down on him", i.e. he wanted to help him back in the day. I guess it would be nice if we knew for sure whether he actually looked hurt or whether it was just Deku assuming he needed help because that's what he wants to do... But anyway, yeah, I don't think Bakugou would crush on Deku. He's not a redhead.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #575

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wait, wait, wait... I thought this was NOT Naruto? Am I confusing manga again?

I think it's quite clear Bakugou's hate towards Deku comes from him "looking down on him", i.e. he wanted to help him back in the day. I guess it would be nice if we knew for sure whether he actually looked hurt or whether it was just Deku assuming he needed help because that's what he wants to do... But anyway, yeah, I don't think Bakugou would crush on Deku. He's not a redhead.
    True. The funniest thing about all of this is that I'm not even a yaoi fan. I just think it would be 100% hilarious if they accidently kissed.

6. - Top - End - #576

NecromancerGuy

Well, Tiger is a surprisingly tasteful treatment of a transman. So there's that.

I'm not sure if bakugou just being gay and in the closet about it could really be handled well in a manga, though, both for cultural reasons and more practical ones relating to the readership.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-07-26 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

Bakugou being homosexual is not especially far fetched as one might think. I mean, as of yet, we have not seen him have any sort of kinship with the ladies of this manga. Still, whether he is or not will probably never be touched upon, but I have been wrong before.

8. - Top - End - #578

Flumph

Bakugou will have to get over himself before he can tsun for anyone else, of any gender.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2016-07-27 at 03:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Quoting Einstein doesn't make you smart
    Show

Sorry, Kohei-sensei. Einstein is not always right. And when in realite your inventions would murder your test subjects because they are not immune to crazy machinery that means common sense is something you should care about. I know it's all fun and games but sometimes a misused quote can really get on my nerves.

Anyway, Hastume is in general fun, even if she doesn't care for her lab rat's health.
    Or 15 year old bon... er, sensibility to being touched by a female. (But really, Deku, pull yourself together)

I'm actually surprised Deku managed to figure it out so fast, I'd expect this to drag on longer... So did he learn kick techniques from Iida? Or did he just...? What exactly did he ask him?
    Tokoyami (who also got front page spot light this time, nice) has a neat new technique and Bakugou's AP Shot looks a bit like Deku's snip he used way back when every move broke his bones. Maybe not.

Looking forward to more new special moves!
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #580
    Orc in the Playground

Bakugou will have to get over himself before he can tsun for anyone else, of any gender.
    Yeah, I REALLY don't see that happening.

11. - Top - End - #581

Spoiler: Quoting Einstein doesn't make you smart
    Show

Sorry, Kohei-sensei. Einstein is not always right. And when in realite your inventions would murder your test subjects because they are not immune to crazy machinery that means common sense is something you should care about. I know it's all fun and games but sometimes a misused quote can really get on my nerves.

Anyway, Hastume is in general fun, even if she doesn't care for her lab rat's health.
    Or 15 year old bon... er, sensibility to being touched by a female. (But really, Deku, pull yourself together)

I'm actually surprised Deku managed to figure it out so fast, I'd expect this to drag on longer... So did he learn kick techniques from Iida? Or did he just...? What exactly did he ask him?
    Tokoyami (who also got front page spot light this time, nice) has a neat new technique and Bakugou's AP Shot looks a bit like Deku's snip he used way back when every move broke his bones. Maybe not.

Looking forward to more new special moves!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My guess is he asked Iida about leg protection, how to properly do a kick, and other stuff like that. You're a dude who does feet things, teach me how to feet. Deku's a fast learner and physically strong and capable of holding the power, once he got some sweet ass shoes and figured out how to foot, he's doing well. I'm totally okay with this, give me more kickboy. He's going to do a Kamen Rider style kick at some point. I want it. I need it. Fill me with the kickboy.

Tokoyami, after being revealed to be the ultimate edgelord, naming his super form TENEBROUS ABYSS, is the funniest god damn thing. He just named his ultimate power THE DARK DARKNESS BODY! Meanwhile, in a move that does definitely seem related to Deku, Bakugou has learned how to focus his explosions. ARMOR PIERCING SHOOT! We also see Todoroki using ice and fire at the same time, and not just spawning it by wearing it on his body. We see that Mineta is getting a stickyball chain of sorts, and Jirou is...inspecting her hand for something. Interesting.

And of course, like I said above. Deku's a kickboy. FULL COWL: SHOOT STYLE!

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Tokoyami, after being revealed to be the ultimate edgelord, naming his super form TENEBROUS ABYSS, is the funniest god damn thing. He just named his ultimate power THE DARK DARKNESS BODY! Meanwhile, in a move that does definitely seem related to Deku, Bakugou has learned how to focus his explosions. ARMOR PIERCING SHOOT! We also see Todoroki using ice and fire at the same time, and not just spawning it by wearing it on his body. We see that Mineta is getting a stickyball chain of sorts, and Jirou is...inspecting her hand for something. Interesting.

And of course, like I said above. Deku's a kickboy. FULL COWL: SHOOT STYLE!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hah, I wasn't aware that was what Tokoyami's technique translates to That's hilarious.
    .. Ah, I totally didn't forget what AP meant, no...
    Also, please don't remind me of Mineta. My mind made a terrible connection with that image and I don't ever want to think of it again

So... Deku will not be using has hands? Because... they are not for fighting but for cooking?

Sidenote: I wonder if Toshinori ever had to go through the same development process as Deku.
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #583

Spoiler
    Show

Hah, I wasn't aware that was what Tokoyami's technique translates to That's hilarious.
    .. Ah, I totally didn't forget what AP meant, no...
    Also, please don't remind me of Mineta. My mind made a terrible connection with that image and I don't ever want to think of it again

So... Deku will not be using has hands? Because... they are not for fighting but for cooking?

Sidenote: I wonder if Toshinori ever had to go through the same development process as Deku.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If we're being exact, the translations apart are.

Tenebrous: Dark, Shadowy

Abyss: A dark, shadowy place

Body: A physical being or self.

So it's Dark Dark Body. It's hilarious, especially given what we've learned. I still love Tokoyami and want to give him hugs but he continues to be absolutely wonderfully hilarious.

I'm sure Mineta thought of that too. I notedly DID NOT think that, but now I HAVE. Thank you.

More like he'll be mostly using his legs, and saving his hands for surprise attacks and judo stuff. The gloves will help keep them safe too.

We know he didn't. Based on his teaching style and what we know about it, he just "clicked" with it so easily. Think about how he tried to teach Deku to use it early on. "You just....feel it. You use the powers by....using...them. With your body."

The dude is an absolute savant when it comes to using the powers, which unfortunately made him really bad at teaching how to use it. It's why Gran Torino got involved. He's an ACTUAL teacher . Note also that once Toshinori started reading that "teaching for idiots" book, he started giving advice close to what Torino would say.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If we're being exact, the translations apart are.

Tenebrous: Dark, Shadowy

Abyss: A dark, shadowy place

Body: A physical being or self.

So it's Dark Dark Body. It's hilarious, especially given what we've learned. I still love Tokoyami and want to give him hugs but he continues to be absolutely wonderfully hilarious.

I'm sure Mineta thought of that too. I notedly DID NOT think that, but now I HAVE. Thank you.

More like he'll be mostly using his legs, and saving his hands for surprise attacks and judo stuff. The gloves will help keep them safe too.

We know he didn't. Based on his teaching style and what we know about it, he just "clicked" with it so easily. Think about how he tried to teach Deku to use it early on. "You just....feel it. You use the powers by....using...them. With your body."

The dude is an absolute savant when it comes to using the powers, which unfortunately made him really bad at teaching how to use it. It's why Gran Torino got involved. He's an ACTUAL teacher . Note also that once Toshinori started reading that "teaching for idiots" book, he started giving advice close to what Torino would say.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, in Tokoyami's defense (or the translators)... Abyss may mean "dark place" but that's not really the common idea... I mean, it is, but it is more than that. It is redundant but it's not like he named it "moon moon" or "the all devouring darkness inside my forsaken soul that will destroy your evil intentions". That is me saying... it could have been far worse

Sorry

Well, maybe he just never came up with a good explanation. But yes, it seems he never had to. I wonder why. Maybe Deku is just too weak/vullnerable? I know Toshinori also seems weak but he misses half his organs, so...
    I sometimes wonder if it would NOT be better to give actual tipps instead of going the "find the answers yourself" route. At least sometimes.
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #585

Spoiler
    Show
    Consider this for contrasts, to get an idea of how they work. Toshinori, who felt everything instinctually, telling Deku to just feel it, finds Gran Torino horrifying. A man who beat him in training constantly, hammering out the kinks until he becomes the man he is now. Gran Torino gives some simple advice to Deku and Deku basically just gets it on his own, after thinking on it for like a brief afternoon.

It shows quite clearly just HOW different Toshinori was to Deku, despite them both being quirkless people granted such a power. Toshinori could just feel it, Deku has to think it all through, every single step. But Toshinori's "just feel it" attitude made Gran Torino have to beat some sense into him, whereas all he had to do with Deku is give him some genuine good advice. Because really, all Deku ever needed to become a hero was a chance and some advice. Dude has the heart for it, he just needs the ability and needs the trigger to become "his own hero".

Which I believe is why Toshinori is reading that book on teaching advice. He'll probably still be bad at it, to a degree, but for someone like Deku even poorly delivered good advice is still good advice. He'll think it through on his own. He'll see "the thing" that connects the advice with himself (with Torino it was the microwave, with his style it was that comment about resting your legs) and come up with something that'll make even the worst teacher's feel proud in what they've done.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    They're really pushing this "you're not All Might" concept aren't they. Fair enough, Deku always was a bit of a fanboy. Also, full cowl kicks for the win. I wonder if he'll go all the way and stand on his hands like some of the Capoeira moves.

Kind of relieved that the hijinks with Mei didn't go anywhere and we're back to hero action. She's far too self-absorbed to be a romance interest it seems.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What was that thing she was trying to give Uraraka to counter her motion sickness anyway?

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    What was that thing she was trying to give Uraraka to counter her motion sickness anyway?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Something that makes her spin around so much she won't get sick since she'll be constantly spinning.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: the way to the chunin exams
    Show

We get a bit more training and flashbacks... Toshinori is worried he can't fight anymore... uhm, bro, you randomly start bleeding and you have a broken arm. AM, meet reality.
    Bakugou is angry as alway.
    (And stuff about B cast, er class)

The girls talk about their specials and Uraraka's crush intensifies. I feel if it was any other girls we could expect a confession soon but she is definitely the shy type.

And finally we arrive at the exam location. Where a crazy person shows up, who is also crazy strong. But seems to be nice. You got me hooked, Kouhei.
    "What's done is done."

20. - Top - End - #590

Spoiler: the way to the chunin exams
    Show

We get a bit more training and flashbacks... Toshinori is worried he can't fight anymore... uhm, bro, you randomly start bleeding and you have a broken arm. AM, meet reality.
    Bakugou is angry as alway.
    (And stuff about B cast, er class)

The girls talk about their specials and Uraraka's crush intensifies. I feel if it was any other girls we could expect a confession soon but she is definitely the shy type.

And finally we arrive at the exam location. Where a crazy person shows up, who is also crazy strong. But seems to be nice. You got me hooked, Kouhei.
    Spoiler
    Show

It feels less like Toshinori is worried he can't fight, and more that he's so surprised that he's being considered "someone to protect" so QUICKLY. It'd like if you break your leg, you expect for a day or two people will forget and ask you to do something. It's also him being truly faced with what he's done. He's already considered someone these young heroes will look out for, the ultimate example of finally passing the torch. If anything he's just reflecting.

I am really excited about the exam. Especially because of Inasa. Though the entire school of Shiketsu looks quite interesting. This'll be quite exciting.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like the copy guy is just a joke character now. Pity, since his quirk is potentially super useful.

Also, a rival school! And of course Bakugou is the one to recognize who they are. This should be very interesting. We could be in for another tournament arc.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

22. - Top - End - #592

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like the copy guy is just a joke character now. Pity, since his quirk is potentially super useful.

Also, a rival school! And of course Bakugou is the one to recognize who they are. This should be very interesting. We could be in for another tournament arc.
    Spoiler
    Show

He'll get his day to shine. It's just that yes, he is also a joke, because he's the snooty rival class guy...in a school where he's not even remotely special and is actually just kind of average a student. It's a good joke.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

sidenote: I'm a bit disappointed. iirc this is the first time we hear of Shiketsu. While they were talking of other schools before they made it seem UA was THE one great school in at least Japan, if not the world. Now suddenly there's another... it's not really bad but some earlier mention would have been nice.

Also: Ideas on how the exam will go? It seems heavily implied there will be competitions, which makes me suspect more duels. But then it's not like heroing is solely about fighting... at least that's what they keep telling us.
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #594

Flumph

I think we are missing the important fact that Tsuyu has her hair tied up and it is adorbs.

25. - Top - End - #595

sidenote: I'm a bit disappointed. iirc this is the first time we hear of Shiketsu. While they were talking of other schools before they made it seem UA was THE one great school in at least Japan, if not the world. Now suddenly there's another... it's not really bad but some earlier mention would have been nice.

Also: Ideas on how the exam will go? It seems heavily implied there will be competitions, which makes me suspect more duels. But then it's not like heroing is solely about fighting... at least that's what they keep telling us.
    I know, that kinda disappoint me as well. But for some reason it's really common in sport shows, where the main character's team beat the long-standing best team that's never been defeated in 20 years and always hyped from volume 1... but it turned out it's only best team in west japan.

Though to be fair, we're kinda missing the cultural thing about eastern and western japan (from what I understand is how west and east japan has some kind of cultural rivalry and kyoto which is formerly japan's capital for a millenia is in east japan).
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

26. - Top - End - #596

NecromancerGuy

I think we are missing the important fact that Tsuyu has her hair tied up and it is adorbs.
    Simultaneously adorable and trippy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter

Spoiler
    Show

And its a great setup for the action to come. That the other schools would gang up on them became so logically once it was explained, and its also straight out of Erasers unique style of teaching to let them discover it on their own. I really did like his comment on simply looking a bit further ahead than anyone else.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #598

I love this new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    First of all, we see the Catwoman to Eraserhead's Batman. I like how he has zero interest at all. Secondly...and probably one of the best things, Shindou, this dude who looks like a nice and good protagonist type character. Only Bakugou realizes...this guy isn't as good and nice as he seems, and I really like it. It shows the level of perception Bakugou has towards people that we don't get to see much. He's actually pretty good at reading people.

And then we get the set up for the fight. Only 100 people my progress, of the 1540 students. Get two take downs, it's time for a Plus Ultra Paintball match. And we also learn the...actually fairly realistic and understandable thing of "the top school in the country really can't hide the abilities of their students" so they are of course at the biggest disadvantage. But then, that's why they had the special move training, and in fact partly explains WHY they put that requirement in to learn at least two special moves before you can take the test. You're from a school where all eyes are on you, your powers are known. So, before we'll allow you to go to this test where you fight at such a disadvantage...learn two nice tricks to ensure you'll have a trump card.

I ****ing love it. My Hero is the best.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    It also explains why they show off their pupils early and have them take the test early it lets them get a taste of defeat and working against long odds before they graduate, while at the same time it doesn't really matter to much to their long term learning if they fail because they can just retake in their second year.

I get the feeling that either Byak or Todoroki will be going down in this match to set up one of the opponents and to show what natural talent isn't going to be close to enough in this fight. I also wonder if that creepy guys powers are touch based.

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It also explains why they show off their pupils early and have them take the test early it lets them get a taste of defeat and working against long odds before they graduate, while at the same time it doesn't really matter to much to their long term learning if they fail because they can just retake in their second year.

I get the feeling that either Byak or Todoroki will be going down in this match to set up one of the opponents and to show what natural talent isn't going to be close to enough in this fight. I also wonder if that creepy guys powers are touch based.
    Spoiler
    Show
    His powers are 100% touch based. The framing makes it obvious that he was getting them to shake his hands FOR A REASON, which is how Bakugou noticed it. He may be cheery, but he's got the face of a schemer.

And yeah, I'm...actually okay if EVERYONE in UA loses here.